Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

keppler wrote: »
    in theory wouldnt this wind have to blow through a junkyard full of old 747 parts? lol

Haha , never even taught of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

Wicknight wrote: »
    Let me ask again

When you said the mathematically proven intelligent design of life proves God exists were you lying or merely mistaken?

Oh so now you just prefer this hypothesis? But didn't you say that you had proven that materialism was unfounded?

Yes, yes I think you did

So when you said that were you lying or just mistaken?

So you have gone from PROVING it was God to simply personally thinking it is more likely to be God based on your own personal religious beliefs?

So when you said you had proved it was God were you lying? Or just getting a bit ahead of yourself?

So again you were lying/mistaken when you said you had proven it was God?

And you agree that your belief that it was God is not scientific but in fact based solely upon your own personal religious beliefs?

Clearly another one for the lie bucket wicknight, but just watch this space he will just ignore you now untill you stop mentioning his proof altogether.....he's done that to everyone here who is not willing to play ball on his terms

On a unrelated note , I have yet to actually find this book anywhere , I actually do want to read it now.

Even if it will support bigotry!

But I must say I like these little chats, Ye are the kind of people I would love to have the Professor drunk heated revealing sessions with over a pint or ten.

GO_Bear wrote: »
    On a unrelated note , I have yet to actually find this book anywhere , I actually do want to read it now.

Even if it will support bigotry!

But I must say I like these little chats, Ye are the kind of people I would love to have the Professor drunk heated revealing sessions with over a pint or ten.

the only place i could find it was on amazon...........out of pure principal id rather photocopy it...:eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I actually do want to read it now.
    I wouldn't bother -- I have a copy and if you could imagine a book written by our excellent JC, but without the smilies, well, that's it.

Use the photocopy paper for making paper airplanes instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

robindch wrote: »

Paper Boeing 747s? ;)

robindch wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother -- I have a copy and if you could imagine a book written by our excellent JC, but without the smilies, well, that's it.

Is it just him, pointing out flaws in The Origin of the species ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

No, it's him pointing out that he knows nothing about evolution and yet thinking that he's entitled to write a book about it.

Edit: Most of his arguments that I've seen on interviews on T.V. and radio shows has followed the format of "I don't have any education in evolution at all, but I don't think/see how the eye could have just evolved." Nothing I've seen has shown that any of it is more than an argument from personal ignorance which is of course no argument at all. In a radio interview with Dr. Stefano Mariani, a man who has devoted himself to the study of evolution and population biology, May came up with one of the most retarded statements I have ever heard from a creationist. He actually said, with no hint of a joking manner "What good is half a penis?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Don't forget those anti-wrinkly babies he likes to talk about!

Someone called Doc Savage thanked my post..
    could it be? The man of bronze frequents A&A!?!?1? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Not at all. It's a very Joycean stream-of-consciousness grandfatherly rave about how amazing he finds the human condition, while delivering his cluelessness about it at book-length. You can flick through the book here:

http://www.theoriginofspeciousnonsense.com/book%20demo/bookdemo.html

Page 189 is fairly typical -- hopeless alliteration, appalling spelling, dreadful grammar and the kind of punctuation that I know I'm going to meet in hell:
    John May wrote:
    This process alone condemns evolutionists to the mental morass of obfuscatory obscurantism. [...] A careful examination of the blastosyst's surface reveals that almost every cell is unlike every other. Some have long projections, others short ones and some lack projections all together. This is called cell differentiation. Until about the eight-cell stage, all the cells look the same and serve exactly the same purpose. Now at this moment and point in embryonic time, life's true mystery happens! Its decision time and from this day on, from this blastocyst shall an embryo form, (21 days from conception!) From this shall develop a foetus! (around 63 days from conception!)
    And so on for a couple of hundred pages.

Improbable wrote: »
    "What good is half a penis?"

Lol I keep asking myself that :O xD

Ok, I want to the the new Wheel of Time , which is out on Tuesday ? (can anyone confirm), after I will flick through it , I am a big fan of fantasy novels after all !

Lol I keep asking myself that :O xD

Ok, I want to the the new Wheel of Time , which is out on Tuesday ? (can anyone confirm), after I will flick through it , I am a big fan of fantasy novels after all !

just wondering gobear what makes you so curious about May's book? I mean from reading the free section it pretty much sounds like he's just copied most of it from Lennart Nilsson's book.
    It's almost as if John May read a book and decided that he was going to write a book about the book he read lol

just wondering gobear what makes you so curious about May's book? I mean from reading the free section it pretty much sounds like he's just copied most of it from Lennart Nilsson's book.
    It's almost as if John May read a book and decided that he was going to write a book about the book he read lol

Was thinking that if I read the book I could understand where he is comming from

Was thinking that if I read the book I could understand where he is comming from

if you watch his youtube vids you should get a pretty good idea of where he is coming from...... I love the way he call's them lectures:D

if you watch his youtube vids you should get a pretty good idea of where he is coming from...... I love the way he call's them lectures:D

Just when I taught I had heard all forms of the junkyard ****e , he pulls out the tennis balls

oh yes the tennis balls..... im particularly fond of the 'have you tried hanging from a tree' point of view....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

oh yes the tennis balls..... im particularly fond of the 'have you tried hanging from a tree' point of view....:rolleyes:
    He is getting to you guys ... in spite of yourselves!!!

... rock on John J May!!!:)

J C wrote: »

Yes he is growing on me like thrush

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Any chance you could get around to answer my questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

That'll be the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Any chance you would provide some evidence for Evolution ... and specifically the spontaneous generation of Complex Specific Functional Information ... for NS to select?

wrote:
    Originally Posted by GO_Bear
    ... once you are emotionally involved ... you are learning from John May's lectures ... whether you like them ... or not!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Any chance you would provide some evidence for Evolution ... and specifically the spontaneous generation of Complex Specific Functional Information ... for NS to select?

Every time you say that I think of this:

... once you are emotionally involved ... you are learning from John May's lectures ... whether you like them ... or not!!!:)

I honestly don't care how arrogent this sounds , but from what I have seen there is nothing he can teach me. From anyone who has every watched the Why Do People laugh at creationists vids by thunderf00t on youtube , an irish guy did why do people laugh at John J May. They are quite entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Firstly, you're still avoiding Wicknight's questions. Could you please stop doing so? The CSFI you go on about is some discredited nonsensical crap which Dembski came up with which is based on either deception or error, given how he is off by a factor of 10^65 in one of his equations in his book. Not to mention the fact that others have pointed out the ridiculousness of trying to assign random probabilities on the evolution of things like the eye or the bacterial flagellar motor when there is so little information on the numerous variables that would have to be taken into account. There is no reason to suppose that Dembski is right about any of it because of the enormous amount of inconsistencies in his theories.

In addition to Wicknight's questions, I want to ask you this:

Do you accept that mutations occur? If no, please explain why.

If yes, do you accept that these mutations can be constructive, neutral or destructive? If no, please explain why.

If yes, do you accept that the environment and other selective pressures can result in those organisms (which have the mutation which confers an advantage to the organism in terms of reproductive success) being able to reproduce better and thus pass on it's genes more than other members of the same species who don't have the mutation? If no, please explain why.

If yes, do you accept that over the timespan of millions upon millions of years over the course of evolutionary history that these accumulated changes in addition to the different environmental conditions encountered by certain populations can lead to natural selection "selecting" for different traits (mutations) in different areas? If no, please explain why.

If yes, do you accept that as this happens, members of what used to be the same species but are now of different populations (geographically separated) may meet and that they will be unable to reproduce because the genetic changes between them are too numerous for chromosomal matching to occur and produce a viable offpsring? If no, please explain why.

If yes, THIS IS EVOLUTION

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

3rd time in this thread I've given you this link which you still haven't
    spoken about, apart rom the first time where you said you were reading
    it.

29+ Evidences for Macroevolution

3rd time I've given this video:

and I already gave you links to part 2 and 3, you can get them when
    they come up at the end of the video.

I believe this is called soapboxing, when you constantly repeat your
    bs and then when given an answer ignore it only to repeat a few
    days/weeks later. I'm still waiting for you to quote where I was lying,
    you know - that thing you accused me of doing...
    Needless to say we await your explanation for claiming there was not
    one iota of difference in sponges for 600million years despite me
    showing you pictures showing you as a liar. How do you sleep at night
    knowing that there's so much dishonesty & trickery in you? Have you
    ingrained it so deep that you trick yourself into not thinking about it?
    This is the third time I've had to repeat things I've already mentioned
    and referred to.

Also, "Complex Specific Functional Information", this is a meaningless
    statement. It doesn't exist on the internet apart from on one page
    http://www.google.ie/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&channel=s&q=%22Complex+Specific+Functional+Information%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
    Stephen Meyer, I see this is part of a deeper belief of yours. Your
    aping the work of Stephen Meyer,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signature_in_the_Cell
    This is the real perspective JC has been arguing from, fundamentally
    it's part of the latest wave of pseudo-science JC has latched onto.
    All of the other arguments have been debunked, I advise everyone
    to keep an eye out for the similarities between his arguments and
    those contained in this framework of lies and deceit.

Oh , pulling his crap from the Discovery Institute.

Here is a person, at a debate with Stephen Meyer and running his crap into the ground !

But I must admit I am bias aganist Stephen Meyer because his name sounds an awful lot like Stephanie Meyer and I HATE TWILIGHT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

They are quite entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbt-b8cA2pw

LOL at the tennis ball analogy at 6:34

• Advertisement

J C we have already explained to you time and time again the inner workings of evolution....but yet you, a 'scientist yourself', an expert in bio informatics apparently! still seem to struggle with the basics of evolution...:rolleyes:.......Jc how can we show you evidence for something that didnt happen in the first place?
    Once again for the village idiot! The eye/brain/immunesystem/ flagellar and so on did not spontaneously pop into existence...... they are are the cumulative result of millions of years evolution by natural selection........Do you remember what natural selection is JC? I guess you dont saying as you couldnt even factor it into your joke proof......:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement