Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options
1328329330331332334»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

mickrock wrote: »

If this process is allowed to continue for a long time will we end up with a far more sophisticated program with new functions, applications and capabilities? By a similar process, can the genetic code in a single cell evolve into the genetic code of a horse?

The answer I would give is no.

And why not? If the mutations arise and adequate selections are there this would happen.

Theoretically this could occur. However the chances are infinitesimal. But evolution doesn't operate by transforming one organism into another Platonic ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

By a similar process, can the genetic code in a single cell evolve into the genetic code of a horse?

Based on what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Ziphius wrote: »
    Theoretically this could occur. However the chances are infinitesimal.

If we see complex software we know an intelligence created it.

Similarly when we see the genetic code it's not unreasonable to infer that inteligence is the most likely cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

If we see complex software we know an intelligence created it.

Similarly when we see the genetic code it's not unreasonable to infer that inteligence is the most likely cause.

Now its the blind watchmaker? An argument that was refuted 150 years ago and you think we're going to fall for it now?

There isn't a face palm hard enough for this bullshít.

legspin wrote: »
    Now its the blind watchmaker? An argument that was refuted 150 years ago and you think we're going to fall for it now?

No, it's not the "blind watchmaker".

It's the "watchmaker" and it hasn't been refuted at all, although Darwinists like to think it has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

That you refuse to accept as such does not make it less of a fallacy.

Anyway, I'm done listening to your particular brand of rampant, wilful and oh so proud if itself ignorance and you are now on ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Since we are close to the end of this thread I think a fitting finale would be a legacy of information for anyone curious (and I mean actually honestly curious) about what evolution is, how it works and why it is one of the most robust theories in science.

So here goes:

Basic Primers

Books
    - Academic

Books - Popular

Papers

Videos

Other websites

One final note - this isn't even skimming the surface of all there is to learn on evolution. Most of this list has been crafted from personal interest and utility but hopefully there's something in there for everyone.

Think for yourself!

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Think for yourself!

241043.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Think for yourself!

A fitting note for you to sign off with on this thread. Your ignorance is caused by some misguided attempt at "free thinking".

tumblr_m6yrxn4obK1qe6y6y.gif

tumblr_mewe6cc5zy1rw5rky.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I think a computer progam is even better. I posted this before:

Let's liken the genetic information in the first unicellular life form to a computer program (which somehow has formed by chance). The role of natural selection is played by a person familiar with programming. Random changes are made to the program which he can either accept or reject.

Almost all the changes he'll reject because they'll corrupt the program and he'll let the beneficial ones be incorporated. Since each change is random it is unrelated to the one that preceeded it and to the one that will follow.

If this process is allowed to continue for a long time will we end up with a far more sophisticated program with new functions, applications and capabilities? By a similar process, can the genetic code in a single cell evolve into the genetic code of a horse?

And you would be wrong. I mentioned genetic algorithms before. I would love to think you were just so busy reading oldrnwisr's posts that you missed it the first time, but somehow I get the impression that you didn't bother reading any of the links or information we've given you time and again.

I guess the message we can all take from this thread is that some people just aren't interested in improving their knowledge, and no amount of showing them precisely why they're wrong will get them to let go of their ignorance. It's kind of depressing.

On a brighter note though, I'm very glad to have had the opportunity to share some of my knowledge with you guys in this thread, and it's been a pleasure learning off you guys. Too many to mention everyone, but shoutouts in particular to oldrnwisr, Zombrex, Sycopat and doctoremma. Awesome work, you guys.

Oh, and thanks to mickrock and J C as well. Your shining example of pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the eye is a warning to us all, and an inspiration to never, ever settle for the easy answer.

Ok, I think we're done here. How bittersweet. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Thankfully this thread has passed the 10k post mark and can now be disposed of.

Preferably in nuclear fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I think a computer progam is even better. I posted this before:

Let's liken the genetic information in the first unicellular life form to a computer program (which somehow has formed by chance). The role of natural selection is played by a person familiar with programming. Random changes are made to the program which he can either accept or reject.

Almost all the changes he'll reject because they'll corrupt the program and he'll let the beneficial ones be incorporated. Since each change is random it is unrelated to the one that preceeded it and to the one that will follow.

God you cannot be that silly.

There is an entire discipline in computer science, called Genetic Algorithms, that do precisely what you claim wouldn't work.

There seems to be no end to your ignorance.

And you never answered my previous question to you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A fitting note for you to sign off with on this thread.
    If past history with creationists is anything to go by -- and I think it's fair to say at this point that mickrock is, indisputably, a creationist -- then he'll be back shortly, repeatedly posting the same silly talking points, repeatedly ignoring honest question after honest question, sticking his fingers deep into his ears, thumbing his nose at what he doesn't understand and doesn't want to understand, and generally debating with all the grace and honesty of a bum railyard preacher.

Why do creationists insist on doing this? Does the man make the manner, or the other way around? I have no idea. Seems dreadfully tedious to me.

Still, pray continue. While mickrock's silly contributions are instantly forgettable and forgotten, other people's are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Corkfeen wrote: »
    This thread requires an epic score for the final 38 posts.... The end is nigh!

One of the most educational topics around but at the same time, it can be completely mad and idiotic.....
    Excellent piece of music and excellent movie.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

I'm only sorry I got to this thread so late. You'll have to forgive my often short responses. I'd love to use what I'm learning in college to tear down the points made by creationists/ID'ers, but said college takes up too much time. I'm learning quite a bit here also, particularly from oldrnwisr, Sarky, doctoremma and a load of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Are we in injury time now?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Well... that was a big anticlimax.
    What happened to the lock?
    Everyone was wrapping up and winding down.

It's like those doomsday cults when it turns out that Rapture isnt happening this week and we all drove out to the desert for nothing.

While there may be differing hypothesis with regard to what causes variations in genetics it still comes down to natuallly inheritable characteristics, natural selection and time.
    Mickrock's guided/theistic evolution position is not supported at all.
    The idea that mutations are deliberate changes towards some outsider's goal is unsupported... for all intents and purposes, and in every way we can measure, as far as I am aware*, the changes a statistically random.

*Please if you have data that show otherwise please provide it. Something meaty, not "I read on a website that 5% of biologists think that it's deliberately controlled by some sort of external meddler"...

MOD NOTE
    Thread now closed as have passed Boards' 10,000 post guideline limit.
    New thread to be found here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement