Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual September chill possible?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Pangea wrote: »
    Have you got a photo dated 25th of decemeber to back up your white christmas ?
    That day the snow was chiefly in Donegal with none forecast for the east.
    A real white christmas , it just started to snow as I was eating christmas dinner. It was beautiful.

Can't remember correctly but wasn't that the day of the 'ice rain' event across the country? although with you on high ground in the NW you would have been luckier than most of us.

12z HIRLAM analysis for that day:

127490.gif

18z:
    127492.gif

warm sector approaching over very cold surface temps. -8.0c or lower recorded during early Christmas morning across a large part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Can't remember correctly but wasn't that the day of the 'ice rain' event across the country? although with you on high ground in the NW you would have been luckier than most of us.

warm sector approaching over very cold surface temps. -8.0c or lower recorded during early Christmas morning across a large part of the country.

Dont recall ice rain , I think you may be thinking of another day, but I remember the forecast was for precipation moving up the west coast and as it hit cold air it turned to snow (mainly in donegal)
    I have the orignal forecasts on my computer.
    The snow was widespread in my area.

Dont recall ice rain , I think you may be thinking of another day, but I remember the forecast was for precipation moving up the west coast and as it hit cold air it turned to snow (mainly in donegal)
    I have the orignal forecasts on my computer.
    The snow was widespread in my area.

Ah yea, probably was a different day, but it was around Christmas I remember. I always keep meaning to keep a diary of actual conditions but never seem to get around to it. Would be handy for remembering the day of these events correctly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Can't remember correctly but wasn't that the day of the 'ice rain' event across the country?

Yes, it started to rain just after 10.30AM on Christmas morning and every surface was coated with a layer of ice within minutes. It was amazing.

Ah yea, probably was a different day, but it was around Christmas I remember. I always keep meaning to keep a diary of actual conditions but never seem to get around to it. Would be handy for remembering the day of these events correctly!
    I do remember ice rain indeed ,cant remember exact date though.
    What a sight for christmas morning temperture wise, Il be lucky to see anything like that again.

Heres screenshots from the christmas eve forecast for christmas day last for those who cant remember what happened.
    2zow75s.png

ws92t1.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

No you are correct, remember going to mass Christmas morning, -3 and it started raining. Place was just an ice rink when we came out of mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

There was snow on Christmas day I know this because the car got stuck in it that day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

We had a glass Christmas last year. There was some bits of snow from December 18th lying around for 4 weeks but then there was rain that fell on subzero roads and turned to glass. Couldnt leave the house. It was minus 10 to boot but only minus 5 here in Sligo

Oh right ,no ice rain at me that day anyways just snow :)
    I recall ice rain on another date aswell though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

We had about an inch of ice on the road for Christmas, then it started to sleet and it froze to the ground and then it changed to rain and it froze to the ground.
    As already said it was a glass Christmas, didn't even get to Christmas mass for the first time, didn't fancy killing myself or the family...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

2zow75s.png

RTE need to invest in a spell checker......or at least hire in some student that did honours English...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

RTE need to invest in a spell checker......or at least hire in some student that did honours English...

Ah,it was xmas eve,the weather staff were in a rush to get home! Easy to forget an E in the circumstances.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

It's going to be frezing people someone started on the whiskey a bit early:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I do remember ice rain indeed ,cant remember exact date though.
    What a sight for christmas morning temperture wise, Il be lucky to see anything like that again.

Heres screenshots from the christmas eve forecast for christmas day last for those who cant remember what happened.
    2zow75s.png

ws92t1.png

We most likely all will be lucky to see something similar again, senor Pangea. It's just too bad that theory about the north atlantic drift being turned off has no basis in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

it was freezing rain xmas day with ice everywhere... i was so confused at the time seen as it was minus 3 (i'm no meteorioligist):confused:
    ... but after some research discovered the reason why... a rare weather event in ireland i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

I remember XMas day last year very well. Temp stayed at circa 0.6c all day and it lashed rain. Roads were treacherous. A big dissapointment considering we had some major snow events later in the winter with temps at +1c.

More info : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055778997&page=6

arctictree wrote: »
    I remember XMas day last year very well.
    More info : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055778997&page=6
    Thanks for that
    just seen my post there
    White out here in south donegal aswell! What a perfect day .
    Roads are bad!
    Has anyone seen rtes website , it says -9 for tonight ? that couldnt be right?
    Wheres this thaw tongue.gif
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1225/weather.html biggrin.gif

I remember how everyone was saying the big freeze would end on christmas day with warmer weather on st.stephens day, even the weather forecasters, but it quickly changed though and stayed for another 3 weeks.

I remember how everyone was saying the big freeze would end on christmas day with warmer weather on st.stephens day, even the weather forecasters, but it quickly changed though and stayed for another 3 weeks.

that's not quite true senor Pangea, the Eagle said at the time there would be a temporary lull for around two days, with relatively milder weather, but he saw no indication of any realy milder weather in the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

There was snow on Christmas day I know this because the car got stuck in it that day :D

Same as that Opinion Guy, I had a white Christmas here in Mayo, it started about 11am.

Thanks for that
    just seen my post there

that's not quite true senor Pangea, the Eagle said at the time there would be a temporary lull for around two days, with relatively milder weather, but he saw no indication of any realy milder weather in the foreseeable future.

They said there would be a thaw and there would be milder weather , but there was no thaw whatsoever up at me, infact it was as cold as ever christmas night and st.stephens day.
    It was a pleasant suprise,
    Like I said met eireann said there would be a thaw but yet the link above shows how in the middle of christmas day they quickly changed their forecast to -9 for that night ! ;)
    and the warmer weather forecasted for that 2 days didnt come.
    Freezing hard now over the snow that fell today ,dangerous conditions.
    No thaw here ,what a nice suprise , i thought by tonight it would be wet and the snow and ice would be gone , far from it! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Gonzo wrote: »
    there should be a good thaw starting from 2moro (26th) and lasting till about wednesday (30th), hopefully all the roads will be clear by 2moro evening.
    Where you getting this from?

Gonzo wrote: »
    I was going by the RTE forecast, 6C in Dublin 2moro and Sunday, and BBC have Dublin down for 7C Monday and 8C Tuesday. that should be enough to melt most of the frost around these parts?

• Advertisement

They said there would be a thaw and there would be milder weather , but there was no thaw whatsoever up at me, infact it was as cold as ever christmas night and st.stephens day.
    It was a pleasant suprise,
    Like I said met eireann said there would be a thaw but yet the link above shows how in the middle of christmas day they quickly changed their forecast to -9 for that night ! ;)
    and the warmer weather forecasted for that 2 days didnt come.

yes they got it wrong for the north west, but it was in fact still relatively milder by day over much of the country from what it had been
    We had heavy rain showers and temperature of 5c on st Stephens day. I believe the only place that saw snow that day were parts of Donegal.
    Still in normal circumstances St Stephens day would have been described as being a cold day.

I distinctly remember two things about last winter: Eagle speculating we would get a significant snow event at some stage, but the period which dumped a foot of snow on the Wicklow mountains around mid december was not to be it. He explained the reason for this was temperatures were just a degree too high. Incidentally the so-called big Freeze started around then for many in the north west, but of course it only became worthy of media attention once it took hold in the Capital.

Secondly, The Eagle in the weekly outlook before Christmas said it would get relatively milder for a couple of days, although he saw no signs of any milder weather taking hold, before cold weather would return around the 27th and he saw no signs of it abating well into the new year.

so in summation i think he was at least partially right, desipte what later outputs may have said, if we look at what prevailed after christmas and the big snow event on January the 13th that heralded the end of the big freeze

Finally: In case it's not clear I'd like to nominate the Eagle for president!!:pac:

yes they got it wrong for the north west, but it was in fact still relatively milder by day over much of the country from what it had been
    We had heavy rain showers and temperature of 5c on st Stephens day. I believe the only place that saw snow that day were parts of Donegal.
    Still in normal circumstances St Stephens day would have been described as being a cold day.

You said there was no word of the big freeze ending but I remember there was many that said that upon seeing met eireans forecast in the build up to christmas. Sure maybe eagleton didnt say the freeze would be over , im not doubting that, il have to take your word for it but other forecasts differed.

Just look at your own post made on st.stephens day

[/QUOTE]
    i i just don't understand it with temperatures expected to get down to - 2 or -3 in spots tonight. talk of this cold spell being over is quite frankly wide of the mark.

Back to today , any sign of this september chill creeping upon us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Only on deadliest catch, opi season freezing spray

You really know the winter lust has set in when forecasts from the past are being debated! :eek:
    I distinctly remember two things about last winter:

I distinctly remember one: that it was rubbish. Just like the summer just gone, only colder.

You said there was no word of the big freeze ending but I remember there was many that said that upon seeing met eireans forecast in the build up to christmas. Sure maybe eagleton didnt say the freeze would be over , im not doubting that, il have to take your word for it but other forecasts differed.

Just look at your own post made on st.stephens day

Back to today , any sign of this september chill creeping upon us?[/QUOTE]

oh yes i'm not disputing other forecasters, and people on here, may have seen things differently.
    i'm just pointing out that what the Eagle said prior to christmas, despite what subsequent forecasters may have said, was for the most part right.

As for my post at that time, i said that because i believe i was annoyed at people on the forum suggesting the cold was gone for good :o

As for this september chill, we'll get a few chilly nights but that's about it.
    Realistically the only place that could see snow at this time of the year is the mountain tops in the Scottish Highlands

As for this september chill, we'll get a few chilly nights but that's about it.
    Realistically the only place that could see snow at this time of the year is the mountain tops in the Scottish Highlands
    Indeed, but hopefully we will get a nice cold winter.
    Good times ahead :).

I distinctly remember one: that it was rubbish. Just like the summer just gone, only colder.

Personally I loved last winter, Il take a big freeze any winter , better than wet and mild ,anything out of the ordinary is a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Way too premature for talk of cold weather but what the hell..from a thread over at netweather

The scottish highlands had a bit of a dusting and the big patch is one of the last surviving snow patches from last winter.

file.php?2,file=6744

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Indeed, but hopefully we will get a nice cold winter.
    Good times ahead :).

Personally I loved last winter, Il take a big freeze any winter , better than wet and mild ,anything out of the ordinary is a bonus.

Well your wish may be granted, and wet and mild could become the new "out of the ordinary"

http://www.accuweather.com/video/605456718001/future-shock-brutal-winters.asp

Nice pic
    heres a few news stories I have seen regarding snow next week, always good when the tabloids start printing it :P

Weathermen warn snow could be on the way as early as NEXT WEEK
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2010/09/13/weathermen-warn-snow-could-be-on-the-way-as-early-as-next-week-86908-22558173/

Snow may be on its way as early as next week
    http://www.metro.co.uk/news/840720-snow-may-be-on-its-way-next-week

WEATHER: SNOW WILL HIT UK IN WEEKS
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/153545/Weather-Snow-will-hit-UK-in-weeks/

• Advertisement

You really know the winter lust has set in when forecasts from the past are being debated! :eek:

Funny that. As I keenly remember you waxing lyrical about the beautiful vistas on your constitutionals during crisp winter mornings;)

If you don't believe me how special last winter was just look at Fionagus' and other people's pictures on the weather thread from that period.
    As you know I love a plentiful supply of snow, but still i could appreciate the effect the sustained cold had on parts of ireland, places like Donegal pass and Ben Bulben resembling arctic regions due to their thick white winter coat. Give me winter views such as those over a winter dominated by endless mild south westerlies any day!

Advertisement