Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual September chill possible?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Funny that. As I keenly remember you waxing lyrical about the beautiful vistas on your constitutionals during crisp winter mornings;)

If you don't believe me how special last winter was just look at Fionagus' and other people's pictures on the weather thread from that period.
    As you know I love a plentiful supply of snow, but still i could appreciate the effect the sustained cold had on parts of ireland, places like Donegal pass and Ben Bulben resembling arctic regions due to their thick white winter coat. Give me winter views such as those over a winter dominated by endless mild south westerlies any day!

I was speaking overall Mr Mayo. We had some nice vistas, yes, but only when we had freezing fog, which during the winter whole, did not occur that often. I seem to remember you becrying quite a lot about the lack of snow, more often than you celebrated the bit you got. All good and well if Ben Bulben and similar places had resembled the Arctic regions, but that was not the case here, where it matters to me...;)

Bring on a mild stormy winter. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I was speaking overall Mr Mayo. We had some nice vistas, yes, but only when we had freezing fog, which during the winter whole, did not occur that often. I seem to remember you becrying quite a lot about the lack of snow, more often than you celebrated the bit you got. All good and well if Ben Bulben and similar places had resembled the Arctic regions, but that was not the case here, where it matters to me...;)

Bring on a mild stormy winter. :pac:

According to your florid descriptions of those walks you had them quite often during that period. Such weather was unlikely to last all through the winter anyway. The fact we has temperatures well below average for such a sustained period was remarkable. I did complain about the lack of snow, because of the exceptional circumstances we had and the likelihood of getting those unique set of factors, which were conducive to significant snowfall, again any time soon is quite low.
    However, i did repeatedly state that the sustained cold was noteworthy.
    I like storms but they are a feature of normal winters. Last winter, despite my complaints about the lack of snow, was something out of the ordinary for us.
    Anyway Mayo people being deprived of Sam Maguire for so long are hard to satisfy;)

According to your florid descriptions of those walks you had them quite often during that period. Such weather was unlikely to last all through the winter anyway. The fact we has temperatures well below average for such a sustained period was remarkable. I did complain about the lack of snow, because of the exceptional circumstances we had and the likelihood of getting those unique set of factors, which were conducive to signifcant snowfall, again any time soon is quite low.
    However, i did repeatedly state that the sustained cold was noteworthy.
    I like storms but they are a feature of normal winters. Last winter, despite my complaints about the lack of snow, was something out of the ordinary for us.
    Anyway Mayo people being deprived of Sam Maguire for so long are hard to satisfy;)

I am becoming increasingly unsure about your actual point :confused: If it was a particularly beautiful morning last winter, I would have posted so, we did have such and that I don't deny. I don't recall posting about my 'walks' that often though? Maybe once or twice, but I am not sure.

I will repeat, I was speaking about winter as a whole. It was notably slack; notably cold, yes, but in terms of actual weather, it had an sense of nothingness about it. Your love is snow, my love is fierce weather, and I care not about what temperature this violent weather would occur in, just so long as it happens.

We are both enthusiaists Nacho, but do not equate my particular preferences with your own.

As to Mayo being hard to satisfy, is there anyone actually trying to..? :pac::pac::pac:

I am becoming increasingly unsure about your actual point :confused: If it was a particularly beautiful morning last winter, I would have posted so, we did have such and that I don't deny. I don't recall posting about my 'walks' that often though? Maybe once or twice, but I am not sure.

I will repeat, I was speaking about winter as a whole. It was notably slack; notably cold, yes, but in terms of actual weather, it had an sense of nothingness about it. Your love is snow, my love is fierce weather, and I care not about what temperature this violent weather would occur in, just so long as it happens.

We are both enthusiaists Nacho, but do not equate my particular preferences with your own.

As to Mayo being hard to satisfy, is there anyone actually trying to..? :pac::pac::pac:

my point is as you are entitled to argue that it was a nondescript winter, i am free to put the opposing view.
    i'm unsure what you mean by last your comment- perhaps it's best that i don't!
    i was just acknowledging that i do tend to complain about Irish weather at times.
    still just as i bemoan the lack of snow, others bemoan the scarcity of thunderstorms, the lack of sunshine, et cetera.
    perhaps it's an Irish trait in general to complain about the weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

good job that big snow events are more common than mayo winning the all ireland :pac: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Thursday night. With easing winds and clearing skies turning pretty chilly. Lowest air temperatures 3 to 8 degrees (inland) with possibly some ground frost developing. Friday: Generally dry with sunny spells (just isolated showers possible). Highest temperatures 12 to 16 degrees in light to moderate northerly breezes dropping calm later. Friday night will be generally clear and rather cold with lowest air temperatures inland 1 to 6 degrees leading to possibly the first general ground frost this autumn.
    Is this is the September chill this thread refers to ? :D

my point is as you are entitled to argue that it was a nondescript winter, i am free to put the opposing view.

Well, we may have different wants regarding weather types but at least we can agree on this. I will acknowledge though that I can come across as being a little abstract in my opinions at times. The comment I made that you were unsure of was just a vain attempt to rub it in that Mayo lost out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Pangea wrote: »
    Thursday night. With easing winds and clearing skies turning pretty chilly. Lowest air temperatures 3 to 8 degrees (inland) with possibly some ground frost developing. Friday: Generally dry with sunny spells (just isolated showers possible). Highest temperatures 12 to 16 degrees in light to moderate northerly breezes dropping calm later. Friday night will be generally clear and rather cold with lowest air temperatures inland 1 to 6 degrees leading to possibly the first general ground frost this autumn.
    Is this is the September chill this thread refers to ? :D

Seems though from saturday its supposed to get milder again.

Pangea wrote: »
    good job that big snow events are more common than mayo winning the all ireland :pac: :D

:mad:

I walked into that one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

First snow forecast for the scottish mountains this week...
    http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;sess=

WOuld love to be there for the first few flakes ... the feeling of winter drawing in would be cool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Iancar29 wrote: »
    First snow forecast for the scottish mountains this week...
    http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;sess=

WOuld love to be there for the first few flakes ... the feeling of winter drawing in would be cool!

Ah those magical snow symbols. :pac: Exciting to see even if it isnt even this country. Winter is coming... Btw, Iancar, I posted a link to a live tornado case in the Tornado Road thread, ya might be interested.

Ye especially when i could be goin to scotland next weekend! :D

Ahh cool! , Shall go and hav a looks at it now so.
    Cheers maquiladora

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

September chill is here in KK. I'm freezing. Sitting fully dressed with my fleecy dressing gown on too and considering an extra wrap. Bollix to Winter! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

September chill is here in KK. Bollix to Winter! :mad:

that's the spirit :D

I HAD A DREAM LAST NIGHT........... misr_ireland_snow_lrg.jpgBUT THE YEARS WER 2010! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Ah yes ! The word frost was used in the Newstalk forecast at 7. What a lovely word :)

No sign of any chill here...

Rtavn841.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

into next weekend and start of the following week, some of the models have some cold air sinking south directly from the artic. some very cold uppers of -5 to -10 but this is a long way out at this stage.

Some very nice weather on the 12Z GFS.

Dry and warm next Friday & Sat, temps in low 20's on this run.

Edit : Looked at the rest of the run and it keeps things very mild/warm all the out into FI.

Check out October 2nd!

2e589z9.png

Thats beach weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Evelyn Cusack has just presented the weather after the RTE Six O'Clock News - the big news it that its going to get milder for next week. So much for the unusual September chill ! :D

Derek

• Advertisement

Latest GFS keeps things mild/warm all the way into FI again. No sign of any cold from that model.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hi owenc!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

frostj wrote: »
    Erm hi change that tay frostj so the mods don't know!

Your style is inimitable, old chap. Welcome back!

Post of the year!!! :D

Welcome back OwenC. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Zere is no Crilly 'ere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Well it was very obvious!!! Unique posting stlye i call it . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

i guess this ownen fella is some ledge of something xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Well i think location gave it away are you not a mod anymore?

I never was . .. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Someone remove my names on the comments as theres this loser trying to get me banned from a forum i was banned on and hes stalking me everywhere i go.

Owen why don't you just try to take part in this forum without getting too bothered about anything or anyone. It's been a bit dull here without you (pun intended), but sometimes you're your own worst enemy in the way you react to certain people. Get thick at the weather by all means, but take it easy with other posters and you should have no problem. You're a good lad, you just maybe have a short fuse! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Hey frostyJoe i dont think the mods will look to kindly on the dual account. Why not ask mods nicely and im sure they'll let owenc back on for the winter. Just remember it's not a competition and you'll be fine. Actually there is a forecasting competition as well but i dont think you ever entered. You should give it a go.

Advertisement