Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dissidia Duodecim: Final Fantasy

Options
  • 08-09-2010 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

Dissidia is the Final Fantasy fighter on PSP, with a hero and villain from FF1 to FF10, plus extra FF11 and FF12 characters. It plays like a DBZ fighter with lots of flying around in 3D sort of stuff
    Dissidia 2 was just announced yesterday. So far the additional characters are Lightening from FFXIII and Kain from FFIV.

I was shocked at how much I enjoyed the first Dissidia and still play it now (I will get that final secret ending eventually), anyone else on here given it much of a spin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I downloaded a demo of it and played it a bit but never got into the actual game. A little bit too much flying around for me. I thought i would get into it since i was a big final fantasy fan, but i never really gave it a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I suppose it was inevitable that it would make enough money from weeabos and FF fanboys to sustain a sequel. :pac:

I bought the original on the cheap expecting a hackneyed load of crap (Square can't do gameplay - it's a proven fact), but nonetheless hoping to get some sort of sick enjoyment out of sending various annoying emo protagonists (looking at you Squall) to the "Promised Land".

It ended up ranking among my most hated games of all time, no game can sent me into an absolute blinding rage so quickly and so consistently (some of the most blatently cheating AI ever didn't help).

My copy is now sitting neatly beside a friends copy in a box somewhere, I gave him it to keep it away from me because every time I gave it another shot I ended up going mental within 2 minutes tops.

If I had to say one good thing about it, at least Kefka is funny.

*Mirror Match* - "Who's that handsome devil?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I hated the game with a passion when I first played the Japanese ISO too, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt and picked up the EU release on launch date. I've since clocked up 200 hours on it and rank it as my favourite game on the PSP, though it's a pretty tight lead over Monster Hunter FU =D
    Pretty much half the people I talk to utterly detest the game though so I guess I'm just especially awesome.
    Or fanboyish. I dunno.
    It ended up ranking among my most hated games of all time, no game can sent me into an absolute blinding rage so quickly and so consistently (some of the most blatently cheating AI ever didn't help).

What exactly did you hate about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Since I've loved and played all the final fantasys, I was v excited when I heard about the first dissidia. Unfortunately for me it was too much like actual battles from final fantasy (albeit in real time) minus the story so it wasn't for me. I'll take a look at the next one though to see if it sways me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

IMO its just cashing in on the FF series.

• Advertisement

Sairus wrote: »
    What exactly did you hate about it?

Pffffft..... I'll try to keep it civil. :pac:

-Slow ass clunky gameplay, everything you can do has about 5 seconds of startup and a week of recovery.

-Camera lol, wallruns especially tended to result in the camera flipping around sending you in a random directions just long enough to eat some beamspam.

-Cheating. CHEATING. CHEATING. "Oh wow, you have full health and like a hojillion brave, sure I've got about 200 brave but I'll hit you with this super weak attack which will immediately break you and combo it into an instant kill kthnxbye."

Thats just the big stuff I remember off the top of my head, I'm sure if I touched it again I could give a much more detailed insight. But I don't think I'll bother.

Other less infuriating things include:

-Each character starts with like 2-3 moves, you needed to unlock / buy / whatever the rest.

-The entire "bad guy" side are locked from the start and iirc have no story mode at all once you get them, so all you can do is play random vs matches with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Scavenger XIII
    -Slow ass clunky gameplay, everything you can do has about 5 seconds of startup and a week of recovery.
    Dissidia wasn't slow or clunky, it was faster than SSF4 that's for sure, flying across the moon at high speeds. /Dissagree
    -Camera lol, wallruns especially tended to result in the camera flipping around sending you in a random directions just long enough to eat some beamspam.
    Depends on where you're running.
    -Cheating. CHEATING. CHEATING. "Oh wow, you have full health and like a hojillion brave, sure I've got about 200 brave but I'll hit you with this super weak attack which will immediately break you and combo it into an instant kill kthnxbye."
    You can still do that with an item you get fairly early that causes insta-break. If it was legit cheaters, then you don't have to play with them, same as any other game =P

Thats just the big stuff I remember off the top of my head, I'm sure if I touched it again I could give a much more detailed insight. But I don't think I'll bother.

-Each character starts with like 2-3 moves, you needed to unlock / buy / whatever the rest.
    Moves are unlocked as you go up in level.
    Also, EVEN SF4 HAS UNLOCKABLES, so no bitching about unlocking, please.
    -The entire "bad guy" side are locked from the start and iirc have no story mode at all once you get them, so all you can do is play random vs matches with them.
    Ok now this you're semi-right on, they do not have a story per-se, but just flip the good guys & the ending and voila, bad guy story. Also, you CAN play as them in story mode, I believe in the hidden episode which is 15 stars upi can play as any side, and neither side has dialog.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

I was SO hype when I saw the trailer for the original only to be crushed to find out it was for the PSP, the only current-gen console I dont own.

Pffffft..... I'll try to keep it civil. :pac:

I dont really agree with the slow combat, but the camera and usually unfair damage dealing ability the computer tends to have can be pretty damn annoying.
    With regards to the camera, particularly I often find myself backed into a corner doing a Chase Battle thing (semi rock paper scissors slow motion battles) where I cant see myself or the opponent. I've played the game enough that I can still basically know what's going on even when I cant see the characters, but it's a pretty retarded problem that basically happens whenever you go near a corner.

I both dislike and love the ability unlocking idea in the game. On one hand it's a pretty sweet way of keeping the FF feel to it by introducing leveling and whatnot and you can customize your characters to a pretty deep level. On the other hand most characters are totally useless until level 30 when they get most of their cool moves. Getting past that L30 hurdle is particularly annoying for the Villains - as you said they dont have a story, so there's very little incentive for you to give you incentive to level them up.
    It does sidestep this problem to a degree with its Arcade Mode. In that section you can play against the computer or other PSPs using standardised characters. I do wish that mode gave you access to all the moves in the game though so you can build your characters instead of using stock ones.
    Xinkai wrote: »
    Also, EVEN SF4 HAS UNLOCKABLES, so no bitching about unlocking, please.

Didn't most people bitch about SF4 having locked characters? XD I know it pissed me off back at the first Inferno. SSFIV made the right decision by removing unlockable characters. Titles, Icons and audio options as unlockables is totally fine in my books - characters and basic moves for each of those characters is understandably an issue.
    I'd have been far happier to have all the villains unlocked from the start and offer a much shorter story mode for each of them. If they really wanted to, keep the 11 and 12 characters as locked content.

I'm hoping all that stuff is addressed in the next one, but I have a feeling the camera is going to be just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

LOL

It's called DD:FF

These are the only FF DD's I care about
    705e1e7d6a135f708ef99a53d416f2b29a65b8a2.jpg?185380

• Advertisement

What is this, people defending Dissidia, I don't even... aaaaaah!

*CUE GIANT POLYGON CLOUD HOLDING HIS HEAD*

I think Xinkai is trollin' though. :cool:

I'm really not lol I love Dissidia. Just got too easy & boring after a while though.

Now that that image link is working I can safely say...

FUKKEN SAVED :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

yall remember ehrgeiz

best game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    yall remember ehrgeiz

best game

**** yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I'm not sure the idea of a fighter with changable/collectable equipment appeals to me, seems like the game would become more about your gear than your skill.

I might still try it out though.
    Sairus wrote: »
    it as my favourite game on the PSP, though it's a pretty tight lead over Monster Hunter FU =D

I am losing so much goddamn time to MHFU right now O_o

I'm on Elder **** (<--- Star ranking not a swear word) and killing Kushala Daora is my most recent achievement, just mopping up the other less difficult monsters now.

more about your gear than your skill.

Most definitely. :pac:

Anyway... MONSTER HUNTER THREAD HIJACK!

I wanted to definitively finish MHF2 but last time I played it we were just getting sick of High Rank Teostra - he is a seriously cheeseball bastard.

There a MH thread on Boards? Would like to get MH3 but being on the Wii with no decent multiplayer makes it seem pretty pointless.

I have the Wii one on loan from somebody, aside from not being portable (which is a big plus for me) it seems like it's made improvements across the board since 2G.

What's wrong with the multiplayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Is monster hunter a good game yeah? I wanted a new psp game recently coz i'll be taking a few bus journeys home for the next 3 weekends. I went with persona 3 portable. What would you pick?

animaX wrote: »
    Is monster hunter a good game yeah? I wanted a new psp game recently coz i'll be taking a few bus journeys home for the next 3 weekends. I went with persona 3 portable. What would you pick?

Kinda hard to explain Terry, I've never played Persona, but Monster Hunter isn't a very typical RPG. It's probably most similar to Phantasy Star online Ep1&2 on Gamecube/Dreamcast if you've every played those?

It makes a few departures from your standard RPGS:
    • The combat is real-time as opposed to turn based
    • There are no levels or exp points
    • The main focus of the game is the boss battles

There's 11 different weapons on the PSP Freedom Unite, and depending on which you use you'll have a fairly different play experience (you can switch weapons any time you want in town, just not out in the field). They range from standard sword and shield (quick and mobile), to sword (powerful and slow), to Lance (slow as crap but very defensive) and to things like Bows (can be weak, but attacking from far away is safer in some cases ).

The main hook of the game isn't all that different to MMOs, get better gear to kill bigger monsters to get better gear.

You get gear from literally carving body parts off the dead bosses. Right now my character is wearing pants I carved off the first boss, a hood made of flesh carved off the third boss, and see my vest? See my vest? Made from real gorilla chest [/burns]

The big point about the boss battles though is that they're skill based as opposed to gear based. Granted bringing gear that gives you an advantage over the boss will help, but you need to watch for attack patterns, or "tells" that a boss is going to do a particular move and attack it when it gives you an opening. Early on you'll find yourself getting absolutely destroyed, but once something clicks you'll be able to kill a lot of bosses without taking any significant damage at all.

I don't know if any of this sounds appealing to you, but that's about as well as I think I can explain it.

• Advertisement

Well aside from the Wiis wireless being godawful in previous experience, the setup just isn't convenient for multiplayer.

One of my MHF2 "crew" doesn't even own a Wii, and if you don't get the fancy pants version with the Wii speak (and I wouldn't be suprised if it's bloody terrible) you can't communicate, and teamwork is paramount in MH.

As for reviewing MH, it has a mountain of flaws and it almost undoubtably will infuriate you fairly often, but I keep going back to it because it's got a good overall concept and a challenging teamwork experience that you don't really get elsewhere.

As for reviewing MH, it has a mountain of flaws and it almost undoubtably will infuriate you fairly often, but I keep going back to it because it's got a good overall concept and a challenging teamwork experience that you don't really get elsewhere.

This basically sums it up perfectly (and conveniently my outlook on Dissidia too =D). Some of the moments during multiplayer games are some of the most epic gaming experiences I've had XD In the later quests especially you'll have everyone in the room shouting manic orders at each other near constantly.
    I've logged about 300 hours in my Unite file at this stage and I still haven't fought every monster, so you'll get your money's worth out of the game at the very least.
    It's been a couple of monthes since I played it, but I think I'm on the second tier of the Elder Cat Quests and HR5 or 6.

Might be tempted to get Unite on the cheap for the extra stuff, but I'd be concerned how much progress carries over.

Though MH is one of those games you can do in half the time with the benefit of experience.

Well aside from the Wiis wireless being godawful in previous experience, the setup just isn't convenient for multiplayer.

One of my MHF2 "crew" doesn't even own a Wii, and if you don't get the fancy pants version with the Wii speak (and I wouldn't be suprised if it's bloody terrible) you can't communicate, and teamwork is paramount in MH.

None of these sound like they actually have anything to do with the game itself.

You can wire up a Wii if you don't like Wireless, and from poking around the FU boards, they all use third party software to communicate anyway, there's no reason you can't do the same on Wii.

Regarding the switching from 2g to FU, there's an option at the beginning to transfer over your character. You might not have to start from scratch at all.

Issues with the sole platform a game is available on may as well be issues with the game.

All of those solutions are extra expense / pain in the ass which make getting a whole group set up and ready to play less likely to happen, making me not feel like investing in a new version I might not get much enjoyment out of - multiplayer IS the game.

If the 3DS gets "Monster Hunter 3-D-G" with all the usual extras and the ability to transfer your character from 3 then I'm there like nobodies business like.

Om nom nom make it happen. :D

Issues with the sole platform a game is available on may as well be issues with the game.

I think a multiplayer game being bad in of itself is a million miles away from not liking something because you don't have all the hardware/your friend doesn't own a Wii.

Anyway since this is the new random PSP topic, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how hard it is to fix a PSP analog nub?

When I fully press up, it should produce a "RUN", but what I get is "Tiptoe-Stop-Tiptoe-Stop-Tiptoe".

This doesn't seem to effect any direction other that up, and the diagonal ups.

I have the original model PSP my girlfriend bought refurbed for me, but no experience with taking stuff apart like a lot of you guys.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ok lads I don't mind a bit of off topic but could we steer it back now, please.

If you're looking for advice on that maybe the playstation forum would be best Baal.

I think a multiplayer game being bad in of itself is a million miles away from not liking something because you don't have all the hardware/your friend doesn't own a Wii.

You're arguing the wrong point here, I never said the game was bad or that I didn't like it, I said I was put off getting it because the multiplayer on that console is a hassle to set up compared to the other instalments.

Okay not quite as clearly as that, but bleh, I've clarified it now. :pac:

Edit: On topic - uuuh Dissidia... yeah... ummm... down with this sort of thing.

Sorry Doom just one point that wasn't made for Terry.

You can get MHFU for 9.99 in gamestop now, so you have no reason not to pick it up, though the game is highly online based, and you need a PS3 to play online with friends.

• Advertisement

I dunno man, that kinda sounds like 2 points... :pac:

Advertisement