Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sept 10 World Suicide Prevention Day

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Novella wrote: »
    Tbh, I think a lot of the stigma attached to mental illness comes from people making such a huge separation between it and any other kind of illness.

I'm not really sure how to respond to your argument involving the Dutch psychiatrist. I mean, anyone can believe anything they want, can't they? That doesn't make it true. Anti-depressants have been proven effective... they've been effective for me. I wouldn't call them a quick fix at all. If only there was a quick fix for depression!

Imo, anti-depressants are too readily available these days and that's a problem. They're prescribed to people suffering from grief, who are just a bit sad. It's perfectly normal to grieve, it's normal to be sad sometimes. That's my only issue with doctors and anti-d's.

A broken mind is not the same as a broken leg, no, but they're both broken and need to be fixed and can be fixed so in that way, they are similar.

a broken mind ( heart ) can never be fixed fully , people have memorys , you always long for how you were before , some people cant settle for second best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

irishh_bob wrote: »
    a broken mind ( heart ) can never be fixed fully , people have memorys , you always long for how you were before , some people cant settle for second best

Thats kind of sad really.

I know I will never be a rock star or play in an All Ireland and it does not bother me. I am divorced and love my girlfriend and my kids.

People change and adjust to their situations and so what if some people need a little extra help along the way. It does not make them lessor people and hey they might be great lovers too.

I am dyslexic to an extent and had to do french in first year in college and the Professor in charge of languages took me for 2 hours tuition every Friday because Bubbles the chimp could probably have retained more french than me. I also needed to be extra careful on any subjects with formulae and he taught me how to deal with those too-statistics, economics etc but hey I got my degree.

A person with a mental health issue is in the same boat -they can accept that life can be **** and do nothing about it or look for help. They have a choice.

CDfm wrote: »
    Thats kind of sad really.

I know I will never be a rock star or play in an All Ireland and it does not bother me. I am divorced and love my girlfriend and my kids.

People change and adjust to their situations and so what if some people need a little extra help along the way. It does not make them lessor people and hey they might be great lovers too.

I am dyslexic to an extent and had to do french in first year in college and the Professor in charge of languages took me for 2 hours tuition every Friday because Bubbles the chimp could probably have retained more french than me. I also needed to be extra careful on any subjects with formulae and he taught me how to deal with those too-statistics, economics etc but hey I got my degree.

A person with a mental health issue is in the same boat -they can accept that life can be **** and do nothing about it or look for help. They have a choice.

yes , people often change but its not always for the right reasons , if someone has a terrible experience at a key time in thier life , it may change them and not for the better , they may long to be like what they were before this dreadfull experience yet no matter what they do , they cannot turn back the clock , this is why some people choose to end thier lives , they cannot move on because they cannot turn back the clock to what they were like before everything changed , no amount of therapy or pills will change this , good luck to those who can settle for second best but not everyone can and if they choose to bow out instead of merley existing , i for one salute thier stance , its a perfectley legitimite possition to take as far as im concerned

yes , people often change but its not always for the right reasons , .................................... if they choose to bow out instead of merley existing , i for one salute thier stance , its a perfectley legitimite possition to take as far as im concerned

I do think it is sad as not every gets what they want out of life and that does not make them useless or second best.

It may be brave but maybe their expectations are unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I dunno if I really believe in this 'broken heart' stuff. Life sucks, sometimes. I know that, I really do but you're not settling for second best by missing the past. That's a natural thing. You can dislike where you are currently in life, but you can get past that and to think anything else, well, we might as well all give up then.
    yes , people often change but its not always for the right reasons , if someone has a terrible experience at a key time in thier life , it may change them and not for the better , they may long to be like what they were before this dreadfull experience yet no matter what they do , they cannot turn back the clock , this is why some people choose to end thier lives , they cannot move on because they cannot turn back the clock to what they were like before everything changed , no amount of therapy or pills will change this , good luck to those who can settle for second best but not everyone can and if they choose to bow out instead of merley existing , i for one salute thier stance , its a perfectley legitimite possition to take as far as im concerned

I've been through some pretty shit things, and at times in my life I would consider 'key' - all in adolescence. I did think for a long time that I couldn't move on, that all I wanted to do was turn back the clock and be who I was before. I've said a million times, "No amount of talking is gonna make this better" to therapists. I merely existed.

Not everyone who 'bows out' is right in their feeling. I attempted suicide at a time when I felt like nothing was ever gonna get better. If I'd died that day, I'd have made the wrong decision because things can and do get better. I wouldn't want anyone saluting me, 'cause all I was doing then was giving up.

I do understand where you are coming from, but I do not agree that suicide is a legitimate decision. It just isn't. People go through crap every single day, bad things do happen, and you can't just give up.

• Advertisement

Novella wrote: »
    I dunno if I really believe in this 'broken heart' stuff. Life sucks, sometimes. I know that, I really do but you're not settling for second best by missing the past. That's a natural thing. You can dislike where you are currently in life, but you can get past that and to think anything else, well, we might as well all give up then.

I've been through some pretty shit things, and at times in my life I would consider 'key' - all in adolescence. I did think for a long time that I couldn't move on, that all I wanted to do was turn back the clock and be who I was before. I've said a million times, "No amount of talking is gonna make this better" to therapists. I merely existed.

Not everyone who 'bows out' is right in their feeling. I attempted suicide at a time when I felt like nothing was ever gonna get better. If I'd died that day, I'd have made the wrong decision because things can and do get better. I wouldn't want anyone saluting me, 'cause all I was doing then was giving up.

I do understand where you are coming from, but I do not agree that suicide is a legitimate decision. It just isn't. People go through crap every single day, bad things do happen, and you can't just give up.

saying people go through crap every day is a pretty inane and shallow statement , of course they do , thousands of kids die of hunger and malnutrition each day , people get killed in wars every day , whats your point exactly , that because of this suffering , the guy who,s dreams were shattered should simply look on the bright side

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

saying people go through crap every day is a pretty inane and shallow statement , of course they do , thousands of kids die of hunger and malnutrition each day , people get killed in wars every day , whats your point exactly , that because of this suffering , the guy who,s dreams were shattered should simply look on the bright side

My point is if everyone just decided to give up on life and we all thought, "Ah, fair play to them, they were having a shit time", life would be a complete and utter mess.

the guy who,s dreams were shattered should simply look on the bright side

I think what Nouvella is trying to say is that its her obligation to be the best Nouvella she can be and how she felt in the past does not define her as she has moved on.

CDfm wrote: »
    I think what Nouvella is trying to say is that its her obligation to be the best Nouvella she can be and how she felt in the past does not define her as she has moved on.

you cant ignore the past , the past is what has shaped us

you cant ignore the past , the past is what has shaped us

You can be aware of your past but you don't focus on it to the exclusion of everything else.

Tempus fugit. Objects in the rearview mirror etc. They dim in the distance and new ones replace them -hopefully happier experiences in the present.

I work in sales and if I listen to the news and stories on economic woes I get negative which in my line I can't be. Lots of people in Sales & Marketing do the same and stay away from negative people -its called carrying a negative reppelant.

So what I am saying is that ordinary people use these techniques too , sales people and sports people.

Its like the Hans Christian Anderson Story "The Ugly Duckling" -its was really a swan but what changed was attitude.

• Advertisement

So what next - what do you do if you are in a situation where someone is suicidal and if they are threatening it and should you intervene -well yes IMO and call the authorities.

There is a very good resourse on this on-line here from the US.

http://www.mhsanctuary.com/suicide/index.html

http://www.mhsanctuary.com/suicide/sui2.htm

The other thing that comes out of this thread is what is good or bad mental health. A lot of the time is a person can get over stuff but sometimes not and as I say -you can lead a horse to water but what happens next is up to the horse.

Lots of the services and medication for people with long term mental health issues in Ireland are free and can be normally accessed via a GP but the HSE have an online directory.The HSE say 1 in 4 or 5 of us at some time in our lives will have a problem.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/Mental_Health_Services/

For explanations of whats what

www.aware.ie

For books downloads and links

http://www.mhsanctuary.com/mh/disorders.htm

The TGC Helpline list is also there

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055685061

I hope this isn't being cheeky -but there is a general thread on suicide on the humanities forum which may be of interest to those who posted here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68731700#post68731700

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

I don't think World Suicide Prevention Day Sept 10, 2011 got a plug on tGC, so here's one.

Also, this article from today's Irish Times might interest some: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2011/0914/1224304082223.html

It is both a general article and also looks at suicide and men.

Advertisement