Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did Skangers become Chavs?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Dose it matter...if we were in Manchester they would be called scallies ( not sure if thats how you spell it )...all languages borrow form each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

I thought that culture was slowly dying out? No?? Like the goth look, that came and gone so hoping that chav/skanger culture will go too! Getting right sick of it...why can't they talk normal and dress normal rather than be looking like a vicky pollard look a like.

Nope the skanger culture is here to stay and has been for nearly 30 years. Back in the 80's you had the silkies....basically an ancestor to the hoodie species because they wore immitation silk tracksuits. The skangers of the 80's wore the cheapest of the cheap trainers and trackies because back then everyone was piss-poor. A bit of extra cash in the 90's and 00's allowed them to avail of burbery, addidas, etc. Some skangers wore Miami-Vice flecked suits, white towelling socks and poxy loafers. Essential to this ensemble was a thin moustache and hair dyed with obnoxious blonde frosting to give it that "pigeon-sh!t" look.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Nope the skanger culture is here to stay and has been for nearly 30 years. Back in the 80's you had the silkies....basically an ancestor to the hoodie species because they wore immitation silk tracksuits. The skangers of the 80's wore the cheapest of the cheap trainers and trackies because back then everyone was piss-poor. A bit of extra cash in the 90's and 00's allowed them to avail of burbery, addidas, etc. Some skangers wore Miami-Vice flecked suits, white towelling socks and poxy loafers. Essential to this ensemble was a thin moustache and hair dyed with obnoxious blonde frosting to give it that "pigeon-sh!t" look.

Ok if the skanger culture is still here stay but their dress sense not slowly dying out though a maybe change to a different look? They look ridiculous? So the skanger culture has be around that long? thought it only started coming about in the 2000s with their chav text talk who cannot talk proper English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

I don't really understand the fuss, yes chav is an english word but we already use their entire language

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

What's the information age got to do with the spread of language? News spreads faster and real news is more readily available, but that's it. People have been watching TV for 40 or 50 years in Ireland and during that time people have been watching American and British shows, movies and other things. They've witnessed the boot and bonnet of a car being referred to as the hood and trunk. Biscuits called cookies, scones called biscuits, buns called muffins, jumpers called sweaters, scarves called mufflers, quilts called "comforters" (wtf!), minerals or soft drinks called sodas, etc., etc.,and these alternatives have never been adopted in Ireland.

Some words transfer, some don't. I've use sweater myself for example.

Some recent phrases of American origin are used here constantly in AH; meh, STFU, GTFO etc

Peruse this one list and you can see plenty of words that are classified as American English in common use in Ireland...

http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwesl/egw/jones/words.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

King Felix wrote: »
    What do you call a chav in a box?

Innit.

Prisoner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

I looked up the etymology of the word 'Skanger' and it seems it came here from the West Indies, via London.

A bit ironical, given the whole thrust of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

changes wrote: »
    IMO a skanger is a bit more extreme than a chav. People have described cheryl cole as a chav, but i deff couldn't see her described as skanker.

Skanger of the highest order, she is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I agree with who said there is a difference between the both.

I would call a skanger just a scumbag.

Whereas i think "chav" can almost be described as a "fashion" statement in the dress sense with the floating caps and hackett jumpers for fellas and large hoopla earrings and pyjamas for women.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

King Felix wrote: »
    No, I don't use any of the phrases above, but if I did ever eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich, whatever that it is, that's probably what I'd call it. I was referring to phrases that entered the Irish English lexicon ages ago... a few from American English...

Among the many English idioms of U.S. origin are
    Among the many English idioms of U.S. origin are get the hang of, take for a ride, bark up the wrong tree, keep tabs, run scared, take a backseat, have an edge over, stake a claim, take a shine to, in on the ground floor, bite off more than one can chew, off/on the wagon, stay put, inside track, stiff upper lip, bad hair day, under the weather, jump bail, come clean, come again?, it ain't over till it's over, what goes around comes around,

There are countless examples of English origin. You can google them yourself there.

I would be suspect to the origin of some of them phrases
    Take a shine to, has Irish origins, I would say it comes from "taitneamh a bhaint as"

• Advertisement
Advertisement