Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did Skangers become Chavs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Nack is also acceptable.

It's the same way a lot of people have starting using the word "lame". Lame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

sadly if only skangers were like chavs
    but they are not that good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Fergus wrote: »
    I say save the Skanger. I've noticed the English term 'Chav' gradually invading the Irish vernacular lately and it's just not on.

Tá an ceart agat, ní chloisim ach an Béarla ó mhaidin go hoíche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Up de Barrs

Its just part of the ongoing anglicisation of the country. Most people now refer to the Guards as "the police".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

Its just part of the ongoing anglicisation of the country. Most people now refer to the Guards as "the police".

Next they'll be calling 'Sraid Ui Choinaill' 'O'Connell Street'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Skangers became chavs in 2005, when the first specimen that de-evolved was discovered. Evolutionary biologists predict the next step in this evolutionary cul-de-sac will be a Nike pigeon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

King Felix wrote: »
    What do you call a chav in a box?

Innit.

What do you call a chav in a box with a lock on it?

Safe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's knackers. The other words are annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

goose2005 wrote: »
    Tá an ceart agat, ní chloisim ach an Béarla ó mhaidin go hoíche.

Welcome, non-Irish speakers. He said, "You are right. I don't hear anything but English from morning to night."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I just call them dubs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Next they'll be calling 'Sraid Ui Choinaill' 'O'Connell Street'.

Don't you mean Sackville Street? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Never heard anyone I know use the word chav instead of scanger and I've lived all my life Dublin :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Like who :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

+1

English and American words and phrases have always been entering our lexicon, it just used to take a long time.

With the advent of the information age the time it takes words/phrasing to skip the pond is accelerated.

Who cares?

Word.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

Grow the fuck up will ye?

We speak English, England is our closest neighbour and speaks the same language as us, we have very similar cultures, we import so much of their media, bbc, newspapers, music and we are subjected to their culture, voluntarily, all the time.

Heaven forbid a new word comes up in their language, which we speak, that gets adopted.

I love the word by the way.

Everytime I see a brits out/bad/chucky are law style post I lament for the ignorance of the poster, and there are plenty of them.

I hate you the above comments anger me. Lets all becaome english because we are close. on yer bike before i get me chav mates after ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

Biggins wrote: »
    When some of us gave up thinking for ourselves and adopted another countries society characteristics and values.

there's no need to be importing a term for creatures we describe so poetically ourselves with words like skanger
    zook
    scobe
    knacker
    gurrier
    wacker
    scut
    scumbag
    ..... to name just a few

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

there's no need to be importing a term for creatures we describe so poetically ourselves with words like skanger
    zook
    scobe
    knacker
    gurrier
    wacker
    scut
    scumbag
    ..... to name just a few

I use the term "Student"
    Having some trouble enjoying the Robert De Niro film on telly now , thanks to about 20 of them roaring their heads off after a long Monday nights drinking..:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

What do you call a chav in a box with a lock on it?

Safe.

How do you greet a middle class wannabe skanger?

Alright there sham

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

THall04 wrote: »
    I use the term "Student"
    Having some trouble enjoying the Robert De Niro film on telly now , thanks to about 20 of them roaring their heads off after a long Monday nights drinking..:mad:

CAN YOU TURN IT UP WE CANT HEAR IT!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Same with the word "pikey", doesn't really bother me but it's another sign of growing blandness of hiberno-english.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

bnt wrote: »
    "Skanger" has too many syllables, "chav" is shorter. If you think I'm exaggerating, recall the "death peno" thread a few weeks ago: we have muppets on this forum too lazy to say all three syllables of "penalty". :rolleyes:

What difference does it make how it's spelt, hardly laziness to say if it's being typed. The only muppets I see are the ones who moan about it.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Fergus wrote: »
    I say save the Skanger. I've noticed the English term 'Chav' gradually invading the Irish vernacular lately and it's just not on.

Its not english, Its Romani for 'boy'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I don't think an Irish person can say 'chav' among other bits of English slang without sounding like they have a strained voice box or an inconsistent accent.

I never really understood why some people took so quickly to English slang. Yes it appears in a lot of what is popular media here but it never struck me as any sort of natural adoption. What I mean to say is that generally when Irish people start using English or American slang it comes across as deliberate/forced.

At no point have I ever thought any of those words would sound suitable in anything I'd say and I don't even have a particularly strong Irish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I'd say skanger is a Dublin term more than an Irish one. I'd never even heard the word until I looked at Boards.

True I never heard the term skanger until I moved to Dublin. In the west it was always 'knacker.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

+1

English and American words and phrases have always been entering our lexicon, it just used to take a long time.

With the advent of the information age the time it takes words/phrasing to skip the pond is accelerated.

Who cares?

I suppose you call your mother your "mom" and you wear sneakers instead of trainers/runners. What's for breakfast? A peanut butter and jelly sandwich? Or are you going to bastardise both English and American and call it a peanut butter and jelly buttie/sarnie?

Lame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

I suppose you call your mother your "mom" and you wear sneakers instead of trainers/runners. What's for breakfast? A peanut butter and jelly sandwich? Or are you going to bastardise both English and American and call it a peanut butter and jelly buttie/sarnie?

Lame!

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were being satirical using the word 'lame'.

No, I don't use any of the phrases above, but if I did ever eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich, whatever that it is, that's probably what I'd call it. I was referring to phrases that entered the Irish English lexicon ages ago... a few from American English...
    Among the many English idioms of U.S. origin are get the hang of, take for a ride, bark up the wrong tree, keep tabs, run scared, take a backseat, have an edge over, stake a claim, take a shine to, in on the ground floor, bite off more than one can chew, off/on the wagon, stay put, inside track, stiff upper lip, bad hair day, under the weather, jump bail, come clean, come again?, it ain't over till it's over, what goes around comes around,

There are countless examples of English origin. You can google them yourself there.

I was just stating that with the information age, words and phrases transfer from one lexicon to the other much more rapidly, only these days we're more aware of their origin, as opposed to the slow seepage in to our lexicon that took place in days gone by.

It's always been happening and personally it doesn't bother me. It's only words.

It's knackers. The other words are annoying.

except to travellers

Pleanty of slang words that you wouldnt think are borrowed from england

Craic/crack originated in england, not ireland, but was adopted and gaelicised.

Chav is a romani word meaning 'boy'.

plenty of mixing between languages, that what makes em fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were being satirical using the word 'lame'.

No, I don't use any of the phrases above, but if I did ever eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich, whatever that it is, that's probably what I'd call it. I was referring to phrases that entered the Irish English lexicon ages ago... a few from American English...

There are countless examples of English origin. You can google them yourself there.

I was just stating that with the information age, words and phrases transfer from one lexicon to the other much more rapidly, only these days we're more aware of their origin, as opposed to the slow seepage in to our lexicon that took place in days gone by.

It's always been happening and personally it doesn't bother me. It's only words.

What's the information age got to do with the spread of language? News spreads faster and real news is more readily available, but that's it. People have been watching TV for 40 or 50 years in Ireland and during that time people have been watching American and British shows, movies and other things. They've witnessed the boot and bonnet of a car being referred to as the hood and trunk. Biscuits called cookies, scones called biscuits, buns called muffins, jumpers called sweaters, scarves called mufflers, quilts called "comforters" (wtf!), minerals or soft drinks called sodas, etc., etc.,and these alternatives have never been adopted in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I thought that culture was slowly dying out? No?? Like the goth look, that came and gone so hoping that chav/skanger culture will go too! Getting right sick of it...why can't they talk normal and dress normal rather than be looking like a vicky pollard look a like.

Advertisement