Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did Skangers become Chavs?

Options
  • 05-09-2010 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

I say save the Skanger. I've noticed the English term 'Chav' gradually invading the Irish vernacular lately and it's just not on.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

[skanger voice]startin are ye[/skanger voice]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Fergus wrote: »
    I say save the Skanger. I've noticed the English term 'Chav' gradually invading the Irish vernacular lately and it's just not on.
    Where were you for the last 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

A skanger is a Dublin chav.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

What do you call a chav in a box?

Innit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I don't care what they are called, i was hoping the Government would have allowed someone like the Ward Union Hunt to cull them( in season of course) to replace hunting stags ...

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

A chav is an English skanger!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Grow the fuck up will ye?

We speak English, England is our closest neighbour and speaks the same language as us, we have very similar cultures, we import so much of their media, bbc, newspapers, music and we are subjected to their culture, voluntarily, all the time.

Heaven forbid a new word comes up in their language, which we speak, that gets adopted.

I love the word by the way.

Everytime I see a brits out/bad/chucky are law style post I lament for the ignorance of the poster, and there are plenty of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

When did Skangers become Chavs?...

When some of us gave up thinking for ourselves and adopted another countries society characteristics and values.

Biggins wrote: »
    When some of us gave up thinking for ourselves and adopted another countries society characteristics and values.

Speak of the devil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

Grow the fuck up will ye?

We speak English, England is our closest neighbour and speaks the same language as us, we have very similar cultures, we import so much of their media, bbc, newspapers, music and we are subjected to their culture, voluntarily, all the time.

Heaven forbid a new word comes up in their language, which we speak, that gets adopted.

I love the word by the way.

Everytime I see a brits out style post I lament for the ignorance of the poster, and there are plenty of them.

+1

English and American words and phrases have always been entering our lexicon, it just used to take a long time.

With the advent of the information age the time it takes words/phrasing to skip the pond is accelerated.

Who cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Sure there all scumbags anyway.

Speak of the devil.
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Foreign students come here to learn English as they have found we speak better English than the English themselves.Anyhow terms and phrases will always cross borders,still prefer the term skanger to chav though.
    They'll all be out in their Sunday best tracksuits today,stop one and ask what they'd like to be called.

Biggins wrote: »
    ?

My post above yours.

We speak English, we import their media and therefore culture, we HAVE our own cultural identity, but using a new word isn't as you put it above.

Do you read English papers, watch BBC, watch a British film?

I like the word chav, I don't apply it in lieu of skanger, but its not like I speak much Irish on a daily basis now is it?

My post above yours.

We speak English, we import their media and therefore culture, we HAVE our own cultural identity, but using a new word isn't as you put it above.

Do you read English papers, watch BBC, watch a British film?

I like the word chav, I don't apply it in lieu of skanger, but its not like I speak much Irish on a daily basis now is it?

I hear what your saying and I agree to a good extent.
    Each nation has its own version of mini inner cultures or sub-culture classifications
    (Japan is a case in point - some are just bizarre)

Our "Skangers" though seems to have adopted characteristics/mannerisms of our English neighbours and you rightly state also to an extent, why this is so.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

King Felix wrote: »
    English and American words and phrases have always been entering our lexicon, it just used to take a long time.

With the advent of the information age the time it takes words/phrasing to skip the pond is accelerated.

Who cares?

I don't disagree, but I'd be sorry to see Dublin loose too much of its unique character, and I guess I feel about the usurping of language the same way I do about how Grafton St was whitewashed into a collection of UK chain stores.

I don't disagree, but I'd be sorry to see Dublin loose too much of its unique character, and I guess I feel about the usurping of language the same way I do about how Grafton St was whitewashed into a collection of UK chain stores.
    In fairness although your right to an extent too, we also have European style/based shops and cafes (not just on Grafton st) - and that's besides the growing number of new African/Eastern Europe food shops as well.
    Thats a multi-culture society for you.

It up to the individual how one takes all this additional outer cultural aspects on board and how they adopt it to their own means and ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shakeandbake!

When did Skangers become Chavs?

When they started driving white import civics with sewer pipe exhausts and da boot full of wicked ice 4 da soundz :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

IMO a skanger is a bit more extreme than a chav. People have described cheryl cole as a chav, but i deff couldn't see her described as skanker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

King Felix wrote: »
    What do you call a chav in a box?

Innit.
    What do you call a chav in a filing cabnet?

Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,123 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I have been living in Britain since 1991 and I have never said chav. I say either skanger or ned [the Glasgow term].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Hate the word chav, it's sooo annoying.

I'd rather be called a scumbag than a chav(if I was one:P), chav is such a shít word.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Apparently, in Belgium they're called Johnnies. And the female variant is called Marina.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

"Skanger" has too many syllables, "chav" is shorter. If you think I'm exaggerating, recall the "death peno" thread a few weeks ago: we have muppets on this forum too lazy to say all three syllables of "penalty". :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

a chav is actually a native of chatham in kent. a hole of the highest order. take a walk down the high street there and you have kids wheeling their kids in prams with names like destinee and burberry. i have witnessed that myself. *shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

a chav is actually a native of chatham in kent. a hole of the highest order. take a walk down the high street there and you have kids wheeling their kids in prams with names like destinee and burberry. i have witnessed that myself. *shudders*

Noone is sure where the term chav originated.

Has be mooted:

Council Housed And Violent
    Council House Vermin
    A resident from Chatham.
    Cheltanham Average
    Romani term "Chavi" meaning child.

Probably easier if I provide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

I know its wiki, but its not a thesis, it can be referenced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'd say skanger is a Dublin term more than an Irish one. I'd never even heard the word until I looked at Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I'd say skanger is a Dublin term more than an Irish one. I'd never even heard the word until I looked at Boards.

I've heard it plenty down the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Saw a guy with a shiny tracksuit, baseball cap and the works in a pub a few months back and all I could manage was: oh Jesus (which I said out loud to the laughter of a randomer next to me who turned and said "I couldn't agree more!".)

I didn't even get to "scumbag" or even "skanger", "gurrier", "knacker" and the like. And "chav" would never have entered my head (then again I never watch British soccer, soaps or reality shows).

Advertisement