Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sights and Sounds of 9/11

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

catthinkin wrote: »
    When in reality when people were falling out of the building people in the streets were laughing and shouting for them to jump and cheering when they did.

Do you have evidence of this?? or is it your own twisted imagination? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Superbus wrote: »
    If the guy who said that there was 30 or 40,000 people per building was correct then it was actually an incredibly good rescue effort that the total was 3,000.

The first plane hit just around 9 or before, with only (relatively )few early birds and cleaners inside. What he was referring to was when the building were full. Had the first hit at 9.30 - 10 it would have been far far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

Unbelievable documentary but i had to stop watching.... Makes me sick thinking that someone i know died in that and what he was going through! He was one of the last bodies recovered and was in a lift with 5 others. I think it's a very smart and brilliant looking programme just a lil too close to home for me. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Nodin wrote: »
    The first plane hit just around 9 or before, with only (relatively )few early birds and cleaners inside. What he was referring to was when the building were full. Had the first hit at 9.30 - 10 it would have been far far worse.

Ah right. Fortunate in a way then.

Whoever provided that link, thank you. Excellent documentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

ok well maybe i am wrong but it just felt like a nice repackaged sanitised version of what happened . The couple with the cutes kids in the apartment going oh my lord those poor people when people were falling out of the towers. When in reality when people were falling out of the building people in the streets were laughing and shouting for them to jump and cheering when they did.

I would prefer a documentary on the attack on the pentagon havent seen many on that .

If by "in reality" you mean "when not at all", you are right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

well isnt strange nobody was swearing ?? they all seemed quite composed considering the situation ?

They were in shock. I remember watching it on the TV and being speechless. Imagine being right there.
    When in reality when people were falling out of the building people in the streets were laughing and shouting for them to jump and cheering when they did.

I doubt anyone who was witnessing people falling to their death were finding it funny. Were you there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I hadn't seen it before so I watched it tonight. I just couldn't help thinking, when people were in such shock before the towers fell, that they had no idea what was about to happen.

The guys shouting about killing, like, the whole middle-east bothered me. But I guess it's not overly surprising that some people would think like that.

The guys shouting about killing, like, the whole middle-east bothered me. But I guess it's not overly surprising that some people would think like that.

I found that unsettling also, but then I go back 9 years and think that thats what I'd prob be thinking... Imagine a British terror cell bombed Dublin with thousands of casualties.... I'm pretty sure people would be saying exterminate the brits etc... but with time rationalisation kicks back in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I was in a hairdressers when the first plane crashed.
    By the time the second one crashed I was on my merry way down to a pub for some lunch. By the time I got there it was obvious it was a terrorist attack.
    My cousin worked in those towers so the hunger went off me very fast. I noticed a lot of people having lunch didn't actually finish what they had & some more of the lunch trade were arriving in. But they didn't eat, they looked for tea & coffee, I guess they just wanted to see what was going on.
    The image of the black woman wearing a pearl necklace covered in white dust has stayed with me, as the memory of people throwing themselves out of windows .

easyeason3 wrote: »
    I was in a hairdressers when the first plane crashed.
    By the time the second one crashed I was on my merry way down to a pub for some lunch. By the time I got there it was obvious it was a terrorist attack.
    My cousin worked in those towers so the hunger went off me very fast. I noticed a lot of people having lunch didn't actually finish what they had & some more of the lunch trade were arriving in. But they didn't eat, they looked for tea & coffee, I guess they just wanted to see what was going on.
    The image of the black woman wearing a pearl necklace covered in white dust has stayed with me, as the memory of people throwing themselves out of windows .

It was an appallingly sad day... not only did those people who simply went to work that day not make foreign policy, but a monument & beacon to the world of economic freedom was destroyed x2...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I remember being still in primary school and on the way home in the car Tony Fenton or Larry Gogan or whoever had the 2FM afternoon show was reading Nostradamus's prediction - remember then getting home and my grandmother was waiting in the kitchen and just telling us that there's 1000s dead in America and there's just planes crashing into everything in New York - can just remember so clear still to this day... ****ing scared the ****e outta me because I was so young and just remember hoping that they wouldn't start attacking Ireland...

9 years ago is hard to believe but it's one of those events that we're always gonna remember for as long as we live I suppose...

Didn't see the program but I'll give it a look when I get a chance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

hmm call me cynical but loads of that looked staged to me very odd some of it

Staged?? Are you sure it wasnt the Nicolas Cage version you were watching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭aurelius79

Nodin wrote: »
    I was in work. The first reports said 'plane crashed into....' and for some reason in my mind I had pictured a Cesna or some similar light aircraft.

Yup, I was at work in the U.S. when it happened. When a workmate told me I laughed because I couldn't figure out how a pilot couldn't see the two massive towers. Then we were told by management to take the rest of the day off. I got home, turned on the TV, and got the shock of my life. I spend the next three days watching the news, trying to figure out what I was actually looking at. One of the worst tragedies in human history.

The images of the jumpers still make me break down to this day. I try not to watch too many videos of the towers falling.

Edit: And the story of Barry Jennings still makes my blood boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

aurelius79 wrote: »
    The images of the jumpers still make me break down to this day. I try not to watch too many videos of the towers falling.

Same with me.

It's so hard to understand why jumping would seem like a good idea. But then I remember one man, whose wife died after jumping, who said: "to be out of the smoke and the heat, and to be out in the air, it must have felt like flying".

I suppose there's a lot to be said for being able to control one last thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

I came home from school and saw it on the television. My dad was watching it. I took one look at the burning towers and said:

"Nice film da, I'll watch it later"

He had this thing of renting a disaster movie every afternoon or so at the time and we'd sit down and watch it after school.

Rambled upstairs, had a game on my PSX, came down three hours later, astonished to see that the film was still on... and that they had RTE news in on it.

It was only then that I figured it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I was on holidays in the Canaries with a bunch of friends, went to the shop that morning quite hungover, saw a few dozen people all watching it unfold on tv and stopped, stood there for over an hour watching what was going on, I remember a guy just said something like "we're watching the day the world changes forever on live tv", and he was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

When people said 'staged' I think they meant the documentary, not the attacks! That was my thought looking at it as well, there seemed to be a couple of instances where footage was taken of peoples reactions when logically all cameras would have been pointed squarely on what was happening in Tower Plaza. There was one 60 second segment taken from a park in New Jersey which definitely seemed to cut between fake and real.

The lack of cursing struck me as well, I suspect it was a sanitized version specifically for broadcast pre-watershed. I'm sure if they wanted they could put together a 'hardcore' version, with bad language, panicked law enforcement, closeup shots of jumpers, mangled corpses etc.

Despite all that this was a hugely powerful documentary/film. I've rarely found myself glued to the chair, so completely absorbed in a program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    I remember being still in primary school and on the way home in the car Tony Fenton or Larry Gogan or whoever had the 2FM afternoon show was reading Nostradamus's prediction

I remember that "prediction" coming up alright, was great to see that everyone had their priorities right.

I was heading home from school when I heard a place hit The White House, got home and they were replaying the footage. Over time I got a bit immune to it from watching BS conspiracy theory videos but that was a while back, I pretty much can't watch the footage of the planes hitting any more, I feel sick even thinking about it.

TBPH looking back I think that if people think about their thoughts on that day the reality of what has gone since hasn't been nearly as bad as many of us had been thinking it could be or probably would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭aurelius79

amacachi wrote: »
    TBPH looking back I think that if people think about their thoughts on that day the reality of what has gone since hasn't been nearly as bad as many of us had been thinking it could be or probably would be.

Tell that to families of thousands of dead Iraqis and hundreds of dead U.S. servicemen. Jesus Christ, I'm amazed that people can actually say these things. You need to sort out your perspective on life.

What a disgusting post to make.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Tell that to families of thousands of dead Iraqis and hundreds of dead U.S. servicemen. Jesus Christ, I'm amazed that people can actually say these things. You need to sort out your perspective on life.

Christ some people love looking for things to be offended about.

There's a few concepts I think we need to get straight here. Firstly there's expectations. Expectations are what people (and possibly some animals, the research being done is fantastically fascinating) reason or feel is a likely course of events to happen after the moment at which they have this "expectation". Secondly there's a thing called scale. Now imagine this, if you have two objects, and one is, how to put this, more massive than the other, but both have the same density then this implies that the one that is more massive also has a greater volume, we call this object "bigger" than the other object. Another example of scale may be if it takes half an hour to travel from one point to another at a certain speed, however if one wishes to travel to another point instead but at the same speed and it takes an hour, then this second point is what we call "further" from the point one wishes to travel from, by a factor of 2 in this case.

Okay, now I hope you've been following because I'm going to put these two somewhat outlandish notions together to explain my post because evidently it went over more than one person's head. My expectations (what I thought was likely to happen after that time) of what was going to happen (that is, things which have not happened, are not currently happening but which will happen in the future) were worse (we covered scale above) than the events that actually transpired.

Is that clear enough? I wasn't saying that the massive loss of life since isn't a tragedy for everyone involved, that the families killed at weddings, funerals and at the market were no loss, nor that the soldiers going home missing limbs or having half their skin missing is no big deal or anything of the kind, merely that at the time around the attacks (when the Earth had orbited the Sun roughly 9 fewer times than it has up until this point) I was expecting worse (remember, scale) than what has happened.

Have you donated at all to funds for injured US soldiers by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Same with me.

It's so hard to understand why jumping would seem like a good idea. But then I remember one man, whose wife died after jumping, who said: "to be out of the smoke and the heat, and to be out in the air, it must have felt like flying".

I suppose there's a lot to be said for being able to control one last thing :(

As someone who is as terrified of heights as me, thats the bit that haunted me on that day....just couldnt get my head round it that they jumped, but then to escape a worse death it was probably the only other option. Its quite possible though that a lot of the jumpers might just have slipped or been accidentally pushed out by others trying to get air....there was one picture of about 20 or 30 people gathered at a few windows waving for help.

I remember the RTE live newsflash and some american was on the phone to the newsreader and he started getting hysterical when they started jumping. Utterly chilling stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Clawdeeus

Great show, there was also a very good one done by National Geogrpahic thats on the anniversaries usually, if I can find the name Ill post it here.
    Creepiest thing was the canned music that was still playing the lobby and plaza, as the debris fell around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

What a disgusting post to make.

why ? it was well reported in the media that this was the reaction by some of the crowd , though obviously not all . It amazing what is recalled and what is not .I find it bizarre how happy we are to be spoon fed images and eye witness accounts and question nothing .

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭evenmicheal

Clawdeeus wrote: »
    Great show, there was also a very good one done by National Geogrpahic thats on the anniversaries usually, if I can find the name Ill post it here.
    Creepiest thing was the canned music that was still playing the lobby and plaza, as the debris fell around it.

Think it was called Inside 911. Was the best documentary by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Clawdeeus

Think it was called Inside 911. Was the best documentary by far.

Thats the one, thanks very much. It will probablly be on again this Saturday. I would certainly be tempted to watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I remember I had come back from finishing my last night of night shift and was watching TV when it all starting happening. I didnt go to bed for the whole day. It was just so horrifying and dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭evenmicheal

Clawdeeus wrote: »
    Thats the one, thanks very much. It will probablly be on again this Saturday. I would certainly be tempted to watch it again.

No problem, think will watch it again too, is great, should be a lot of good doucmentaries on over the coming week. Another great one is just called 9/11 and is about two french filmmakers who were doing a documentary on a firefighter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Edit: And the story of Barry Jennings still makes my blood boil.

Why so?

• Advertisement

why ? it was well reported in the media that this was the reaction by some of the crowd , though obviously not all . It amazing what is recalled and what is not .I find it bizarre how happy we are to be spoon fed images and eye witness accounts and question nothing .

Would you mind digging it up for us... I can't find anything like that about it online and never seen anything like that in the media on the day or after....

Personally I think your full of **** tbh...

Advertisement