Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Rain Risk Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Leeside wrote: »
    Heaviest rain I've ever seen here in Cork City in the past five minutes.

13mm says my WS. !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Nothing really to update here in the North West, pretty much been raining here all day (bar a break of about 2 hrs around noon) since then persistant rain with heavy bursts. No thunder/lightning though,:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Stunning sunset here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

pauldry wrote: »
    Still it rains in Sligo......... 31mm

Claremorris is getting to 50mm

and Knock 70mm :eek:

for once we come out on top:pac:

thundery rain here for the last 30 minutes. it's easing off a bit now,though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

You'd miss Owen. No doubt Coleraine had 200mm of rainfall today!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Well lads, that was a wet one...

The rain began at 9pm last night here. Today I took four readings...

10am... 83.3mm
    4pm... 32.1mm
    7pm... 3.5mm
    9pm... 2.2mm

TOTAL 24 Hour Rainfall: 121.1mm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Another 4.5mm in Knock on the 2100 Met reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Still raining here and a total of 84.5mm today so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

still rainin here but no thunder or lighting :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

lord lucan wrote: »

You can catch him over in AH giving out about young girls gone to the bad smoking and cursing. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

The rain here in Wexford was unlike anything i've witnessed before, unreal! 70.0mm in johnstown castle! Well fupp me pink and call me larry!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

lord lucan wrote: »

The funny thing is that his location prob saw very little today, he always misses the storms and is far to close to the coast to get any real low temps in winter or high ones in summer, yet he makes those outrages claims!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

The same data period but totting up all the hourly obs that were on Met.ie
    1 Connaught Airport (Ireland) 73.7 mm
    2 Johnstown Castle (Ireland) 69.5 mm
    3 Mullingar (Ireland) 64.8 mm
    Ballyhaise 58.5 mm
    Oak Park 51.8 mm
    4 Claremorris (Ireland) 46.6 mm
    5 Roches Point (Ireland) 38.2 mm
    6 Malin Head (Ireland) 25.0 mm
    7 Shannon Airport (Ireland) 23.2 mm
    8 Gurteen (Ireland) 21.8 mm
    9 Casement Aerodrome (Ireland) 18.4 mm
    10 Dublin Airport (Ireland) 19.2 mm
    11 Cork Airport (Ireland) 16.6 mm
    Mace Head 14.9 mm
    12 Valentia Observatory (Ireland) 13.0 mm
    13 Belmullet (Ireland) 12.4 mm
    14 Sherkin Island (Ireland) 1.7 mm

Su Campu wrote: »
    24 hours amount precipitation.
    09/06/2010 at 18:00 UTC
    (14 of 14 stations)

1 Connaught Airport (Ireland) 74.0 mm
    2 Johnstown Castle (Ireland) 70.0 mm
    3 Mullingar (Ireland) 65.0 mm
    4 Claremorris (Ireland) 47.0 mm
    5 Roches Point (Ireland) 34.0 mm
    6 Malin Head (Ireland) 25.0 mm
    7 Shannon Airport (Ireland) 24.0 mm
    8 Gurteen (Ireland) 22.0 mm
    9 Casement Aerodrome (Ireland) 20.6 mm
    10 Dublin Airport (Ireland) 20.0 mm
    11 Cork Airport (Ireland) 17.0 mm
    12 Valentia Observatory (Ireland) 15.0 mm
    13 Belmullet (Ireland) 12.0 mm
    14 Sherkin Island (Ireland) 2.0 mm

Amazing how Sherkin Island escaped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

for once we come out on top:pac:

thundery rain here for the last 30 minutes. it's easing off a bit now,though.

Heavy and persistant bursts of rain here all evening which is just clearing up now. Claremorris 50mm? Tsk :rolleyes:, Tuam 69.1mm since 3.00am! :)

Hopefully tomorrow will bring a repeat performance! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Danno wrote: »
    Well lads, that was a wet one...

The rain began at 9pm last night here. Today I took four readings...

10am... 83.3mm
    4pm... 32.1mm
    7pm... 3.5mm
    9pm... 2.2mm

TOTAL 24 Hour Rainfall: 121.1mm

I think Vincent O'Shea gave you a mention on the Last Word on Today FM this evening. He said there was an unconfirmed rainfall total of 100 and something mms at an amateur enthusiast's station in Co Laois.

Here's the podcast (about 10 minutes in, on with Conor Faulknan)

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    The funny thing is that his location prob saw very little today, he always misses the storms and is far to close to the coast to get any real low temps in winter or high ones in summer, yet he makes those outrages claims!

Yeah they can be over the top but so what really; he is just a giddy kid trying to impress. He tends to write on here the way lot of teenages talk to one another, which no one can blame him for really, since he is only one himself.

Bring back Owen. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: ugh! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,152 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, it was raining this morning. Spent the morning 'team building' with a crowd of colleagues, chasing around in the lashing rain in Wexford. We were drownded! It wasn't cold though, and even though we were soaking wet - in spite of and including 'waterproofs', it was good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭fishmahboi

What do you mean by "team building"
    Also it looks like there is going to be a change in wind direction at 1:00 am according to this 3 hour forecast
    3hr-rain.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Fishmahboi, you make quite a few posts on the weather forum, please add your location (in your profile, settings) because we're always guessing where you are ... I'm guessing Kerry or west Cork but I don't know.

Folks, that was incredibly heavy rainfall for the area covered, seems like Danno was at ground zero. I was looking on the map and located Dunoon (I knew Danno lived in Laois) but seeing there is a range of hills a few miles north of there, I'm wondering if there might have been a slightly heavier total up that way with the wind direction and uplift. That would suggest a significant flooding potential in the streams rising from those hills, any reports on that?

I don't think this is by any means done, the upper low is settling in right over Ireland tonight, so the temperature profile from top to bottom of this saturated air mass will slowly drop, which should allow the rain to continue and then once we get into daytime heating of the broken cloud mass tomorrow, it will likely produce some hefty thundershower cells. A lot of dense fog is likely to form later tonight because of that slight cooling of the saturated air. I would imagine visibilities in some parts of the north central counties may drop to 100 metres or less. It's all confusing my brain because it's lashing down here too, I think we've had 25 mms so far today. Ours is coming at us from the west instead of the south and it's chilly, only 13 C at 3 p.m. local time, and foggy (quarter-mile vis).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Final total here from 8pm last night to 2.30pm today is 50.4mm. Its been mostly dry here since 2.30pm today. This is what kept our figure down compared to other areas. Still a respectable total ;)

• Advertisement

Rain is pepping up a little here again. 0.1mm away from the 70.0mm mark, the wettest day I have had since October 2008. Oddly, most of daylight hours were dry!

I have a question for those who had the torrential rain.
    how windy was it when the rain was that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

53.1mm here and looks to be just about finished. another 35mins until the final 24 hour figure is known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Got stars above.
    My totals from the event, the vast bulk from past 24hrs
    61.7mm
    This is spread across 2 raindays because official obs are done at 0900GMT.
    28.9mm at this mornings reading and 32.8mm since.
    My wettest Sept day (09-09 day) is 35.9mm on the 2nd last year 2009

I don't know if the rain will pivot enough to give me more overnight. I doubt it.

As for my AWS stats, which are 00-24h days, 53.8mm today makes this my wettest day in my 11 years of records marginally ahead of 53.1mm on 21st March 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

fishmahboi wrote: »
    I have a question for those who had the torrential rain.
    how windy was it when the rain was that bad?

there was no wind here tonight. though, it was quite windy at 6 am this morning when the first wave of heavy rain started.

i should point out the rain has stopped here now. it's unreal that some places nearly got 5 inches out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah MT ,

It is much better when people have their locations though I understand if they dont coz they may not live there. e.g I live in Sligo, hail from Mayo and work in Roscommon

Rain broke my primary gauge with the points.

Luckily the secondary one got working but only an estimate really and rain for Sligo so far is 36mm since midnight. Really impressive rainfall for the whole country today. This is the wettest day for all Ireland Id say since I set up my website in July 2008. Not a long time I know but sure was wet.

Lovin all the graphs and stats by you all..

Yeah MT ,

It is much better when people have their locations though I understand if they dont coz they may not live there. e.g I live in Sligo, hail from Mayo and work in Roscommon

Rain broke my primary gauge with the points.

Luckily the secondary one got working but only an estimate really and rain for Sligo so far is 36mm since midnight. Really impressive rainfall for the whole country today. This is the wettest day for all Ireland Id say since I set up my website in July 2008. Not a long time I know but sure was wet.

Lovin all the graphs and stats by you all..

Maybe they don't want people to know where they live :P

Flippin heck

Over 85mm of rain in Knock so far from midnight to 11pm. One Hour left and its still raining there. That must be a record for that station

Flippin heck

Over 85mm of rain in Knock so far from midnight to 11pm. One Hour left and its still raining there. That must be a record for that station

I think it was worse in july 2009

• Advertisement

Really?

We shall see tomorrow when the media get their mits on the stats.;)(though theyll go here to get em)

Advertisement