Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

I'd be far from his biggest fan, he simply infuriates me, and always has. I hugely admire his achievements and determination but cop the **** on man.

Get rid of the brother in law for starters, how many times does he need to see him **** up a par 5 before stepping in. I met his brother a few weeks ago, he was saying his game was in good shape and he expected him to win soon. Indeed he shot 65 the next day out and unfortunately got disqualified. He's showed some real glimmers of class again but unfortunately he plays the weekend like a junior scratch in stackstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Ben1010

Ah who cares if he not playing well...he is still the man for me. Looks like he went out shopping down at Smyths toy store....

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/is-it-a-birdie-no-its-padraigs-new-private-jet-2555837.html
    :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

f22 wrote: »
    Get rid of the brother in law for starters, how many times does he need to see him **** up a par 5 before stepping in.
    This seems like an obvious starting point. He always struck me as a yes man.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭pinseeker

this seems to be the opinion of just about eveyone i know when discussing harrington.when you see the interaction of some of the top players with there caddies its nite and day.they put bad shot or club thoughts out of the equation and literally tell them what shot to play so player is comfortable and can just go ahead and execute.the brother in law just seems to be bag carrier and not much else.doesnt seem strong enough to tell paddy no to a poor shot choice.thats how it looks to me but could be way off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

pinseeker wrote: »
    this seems to be the opinion of just about eveyone i know when discussing harrington.when you see the interaction of some of the top players with there caddies its nite and day.they put bad shot or club thoughts out of the equation and literally tell them what shot to play so player is comfortable and can just go ahead and execute.the brother in law just seems to be bag carrier and not much else.doesnt seem strong enough to tell paddy no to a poor shot choice.thats how it looks to me but could be way off

I doubt very much that's the case with the majority of player-caddy relationships.

"Turn up. Keep Up. Shut Up" - a caddy's mantra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭pinseeker

you often here player caddie conversations whip where player wants to hit certain club and caddie tells them no and tells them what to hit and best place to land.like if a backstop beyond flag so you can go ahead and hit full shot and so on.last shot macdowell had in pga last year he wanted to hit i think 8iron,his caddie told him hit the 9.clearly knew adrenaline would play factor even tho macdowell felt 8 was the club.my point is harrington would have been handed the 8 and prob end up in sh**t.good caddie makes huge huge diff.keep up shut up is not the the way of caddies who carry for best from what i can see

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭franbe

i always thought it was a bad choice, even when it was working, he could of picked from the best after 3 majors, it'll be tougher now.

and how do you sack your brother in law ? how does it effect you if you want to but haven't got the bottle to do it ?

i think he was looking for a buddy off the course as much as anything, he should make him his co-traveling PA and get a pro on the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

franbe wrote: »
    i always thought it was a bad choice, even when it was working, he could of picked from the best after 3 majors, it'll be tougher now.

and how do you sack your brother in law ? how does it effect you if you want to but haven't got the bottle to do it ?

i think he was looking for a buddy off the course as much as anything, he should make him his co-traveling PA and get a pro on the bag.

I can't imagine Steve Williams is making too much money now or Fanny Sunnesson.......maybe Padraig should try change now..................not sure how Caroline would feel about the beautiful Fanny carrying Padraigs bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

ssbob wrote: »
    I can't imagine Steve Williams is making too much money now or Fanny Sunnesson.......maybe Padraig should try change now..................not sure how Caroline would feel about the beautiful Fanny carrying Padraigs bag.

She didn't look too hot following Kaymer last night.................

She didn't look too hot following Kaymer last night.................

I think her job is whats attractive..........................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Do people think Harrington will make it back it into the top 10 rankings this year? or else fall outside the top 50 in rankings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

sxt wrote: »
    Do people think Harrington will make it back it into the top 10 rankings this year? or else fall outside the top 50 in rankings?

The way he is going at the moment he will be out of the top 100.
    Id be happy if he manages to stay in the top 30 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Yawn :rolleyes:

Hasn't got me at all, IMO he's a WUM but at times I actually think he's may be for real. For example when he started that drivel about hybrids. Few boy's round here like to talk good games and have far too much to say at times, playing of what I don't believe to be overly impressive handicaps too :rolleyes:

No offence like :p

You must be fairly handy yourself...plus what handicap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

fullstop wrote: »
    You must be fairly handy yourself...plus what handicap?

It's irrelevent what it is, you don't know me so I could make it up anything. Do you believe that knowing my handicap makes the content of my posts more valid? Can be like a dick measuring competition round this board, with people constantly blowing about handicaps.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Explain again why you brought posters handicaps into it so?
    After all, they are irrelevant and they don't impress you...

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭blackwaterfish

back on topic -

Quoted from PH's website:

"The only consolation about being beaten in the first round is that I was able to come home straight away. This was the last of three tournaments in a row for me and now I have ten days off before I return to Florida for the WGC Cadillac at Doral.

Even though my first few tournament results haven’t been great, I am not worried as it is early in my season and I am very happy with my game. I am delighted with how my winter work has faired and now I know that I have to concentrate on the mental side of my game and forget about technique. I can see from my first few events that I have been far too into my technique, which is quite normal for me after a winter working on it."

..and then this recent quote from charlie sheen:

"I am on a drug," Sheen said. "It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."

my god!.... its like theyre one and the same person!

maybe a 'charlie sheen for padraigs caddie' campaign would open his eyes to the increasing levels of bat**** insanity and he might pull back from the brink!

At least he understands though that he is focusing too much on his technique..................

Oh god Paddy please do not frustrate us again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭franbe

well he has always said he's a slow starter to a year, he wants to peak a few months in. so he uses his past experience of other years to gauge today where he will be by april.

only trouble is, the last few years he has said 'winter was great, so by april ill be brilliant', and he wasnt, so you just cant believe him anymore. i hope he is right this year, if he is he'll be back in the top 10 in the world and contending in most majors.

still hope he dumps the caddy, a change is as good as a rest. he should get some gnarly season war horse to carry him into battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Emelio

I think P Harrington should hire older experienced caddy, Ian Wright is obvious choice I feel.
    This is something worth considering but it is likely that Irishman refuse to hire someone of this stature and wage.
    Otherwise perhaps Colin Byrne, he is celebrity caddy and can add to attraction on/off course.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭blackwaterfish

So what happened in the final round at Doral?

i got no concept whatsoever from the coverage of how he was playing.... from watching it on shot tracker it looked to me like he was throwing caution to the wind and really going for it off the tee... saying that.. i suppose you cant really get a grasp of a players strategy from shot tracker..... but he looked like he played a lot of good golf. But then theres the monumental brain farts on the card too.

anyhoo, the only coverage of his round i saw, during which he holed several birdies & an eagle, was a glimpse of him missing a putt for par on what i think was the 15th... the next player we see is prolonged coverage of jjohnathan vegas sinking a putt for par... he was on -2 at the time... more than 10 shots back...... wtf!?

golf is becoming more & more intolerable to watch - but thats a rant for another day.

so what happened to PH? was he really going for it? or was it another series of brain farts that ruled the day.

His card shows 1 eagle, 3 birds, 3 bogeys and the now obligatory triple.

anyway, despite the +1 final round.. i think this wknd was definate step forward.

• Advertisement

So what happened in the final round at Doral?

i got no concept whatsoever from the coverage of how he was playing.... from watching it on shot tracker it looked to me like he was throwing caution to the wind and really going for it off the tee... saying that.. i suppose you cant really get a grasp of a players strategy from shot tracker..... but he looked like he played a lot of good golf. But then theres the monumental brain farts on the card too.

anyhoo, the only coverage of his round i saw, during which he holed several birdies & an eagle, was a glimpse of him missing a putt for par on what i think was the 15th... the next player we see is prolonged coverage of jjohnathan vegas sinking a putt for par... he was on -2 at the time... more than 10 shots back...... wtf!?

golf is becoming more & more intolerable to watch - but thats a rant for another day.

so what happened to PH? was he really going for it? or was it another series of brain farts that ruled the day.

His card shows 1 eagle, 3 birds, 3 bogeys and the now obligatory triple.

anyway, despite the +1 final round.. i think this wknd was definate step forward.

Like you I haven't a clue if he was playing well or not, did think he needed a 65/66 to win on Sunday but with the Eagle start it was certainly on!!! He finished 3rd in Doral last year so it is obviously a course he likes, hopefully this is the start of something good....... go on the Harro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

His world ranking has risen 2 places from 37 to 35. Thats progress.

Didn't see much of his final round in Doral, just a duffed chip at the par 3 15th where the ball travelled more up than forward to a close pin position and then his birdie attempt on 18 which stopped just short. Pity about the tripple bogey on 3 after starting with an eagle.

He just needs to eliminate one or two poor holes a round and get his confidence (mojo) back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

What he really needs is a new caddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Fore Iron

Aidric wrote: »

As much good as Ronan has done for him, that could actually be the quote of the week. I think you've hit the nail on the head personally.

Much of PH's crazy scores have come from silly shot selection as much as anything else. His 7 on Sunday seemed to result from hitting the water off the tee and then trying to hit a 3 wood from the rough to an effectively island green. He didn't come up that far short in the end, but what was his caddy thinking letting hit a 3 wood from the rough to that unlikely target in the first place?

Aidric wrote: »

I haven't seen much of his "stare" in recent times, this may be through a lack of confidence but if he gets this back then he wins majors!! Guaranteed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

sacking the caddy will only lead to difficulties in the home.
    that in turn will have a detrimental effect on his form.
    the young fella that carries his bag was there when he won majors before, therefore its not really an issue.

harro picked up some low lying fruit a few years ago.
    people need to accept this and move on.
    he does not have the ability to challenge and beat golfers within the top 10.
    therefore his victories will be restricted to the singapore open, the beijing open, the pyongyang open etc

ssbob wrote: »
    I haven't seen much of his "stare" in recent times, this may be through a lack of confidence but if he gets this back then he wins majors!! Guaranteed!

the harro stare :D
    give me a break..

conno16 wrote: »
    the harro stare :D
    give me a break..

It's worth at least 4 birdies per round :D

ya maybe when hes playing against his 10-yr old son

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

conno16 wrote: »
    sacking the caddy will only lead to difficulties in the home.
    that in turn will have a detrimental effect on his form.
    the young fella that carries his bag was there when he won majors before, therefore its not really an issue.

harro picked up some low lying fruit a few years ago.
    people need to accept this and move on.
    he does not have the ability to challenge and beat golfers within the top 10.
    therefore his victories will be restricted to the singapore open, the beijing open, the pyongyang open etc

The above two paragraphs look as though they've been written by two different people. There is a fair amount of wisdom in the first paragraph whereas the second is childish nonsense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement