Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

Martin567 wrote: »
    L.O.F.T., I'm not sure if you've deliberately chosen to misinterpret what I was saying or if you genuinely didn't get it

Martin apologies for the late reply.
    On above: I don't have to get anything especially your interpretation of Harrington or Matchplay as a random game. My opinions are just that, my opinions. But I do believe the results since he won his majors speak volumes that what he is doing to his swing and mental preparation are not working. My intentions were not to misinterpret what you said I simply quoted your words and responded.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

I think his drive for perfection has caused him total confusion. He does have some very good rounds but doesn't at the moment have the game to challenge for a tournament victory. He always seems to throw in a couple of very destructive holes in most tournaments. I'll be surprised if he make sit beyond the first round. His record in match play recently is fairly poor as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I think his drive for perfection has caused him total confusion. He does have some very good rounds but doesn't at the moment have the game to challenge for a tournament victory. He always seems to throw in a couple of very destructive holes in most tournaments. I'll be surprised if he make sit beyond the first round. His record in match play recently is fairly poor as well.

AFAIK He's worked with Bob Rotella in the past. Rotella's mantra is that requiring perfection is not possible. That a player should expect and strive for perfection but that demanding it is counter-productive. For example, Harrington may aim for and expect to split the fairway but might actually push it into the rough and just get on with making par rather than cussing himself.

Could it be the unthinkable? That Paddy simply isn't good enough to win at the highest level anymore? :confused:

Remember after Faldo won the Masters in 96. His only significant victory after that was the Nissan Open in 97. Co-incidentally he was 39 at the time too. He was always a control player and the need for more distance left Nick languishing behind the longer hitters (surprising because he's a big guy at 6'3 too). There may be a precedent here for Harrington.

I do admire Padraig but his game is a mess with all thoughts of technical changes and the mental application he insists on pursuing.

http://www.padraigharrington.com/latest_news.php

Northern Trust Open - Review

This week was an interesting week for me, but in terms of my finishing position it was another disappointing week. I put myself in a decent position to contend the tournament going into the weekend but another poor weekend of scoring dropped me well down the field. However I actually didn’t leave Riviera unhappy as the weekend helped me sort a few things out in my head. It's funny how these things come about - I spoke to Bob Rotella last Sunday night and we cleared a lot of things up. I was feeling good about myself, and what I had to do and I was committed to doing it. I felt that I did a good job in practice and after the first couple of rounds I would have said that I was on track - it was like I had turned the corner in terms of being easier on myself and working on my focus and routines. Going into the weekend I was feeling confident that I was on the right road and looking forward to playing. However on Saturday I had a bad day - I struggled for most of the day, just didn’t play well and I reverted back to getting down on myself, thinking about my swing and other technical things. As much as I had worked on it during the week as soon as I went a little bit off I was back doing what I have been doing for a while now.
    When I was thinking about it on Saturday night and trying to figure out what went wrong and why I was so hard on myself, I realised that I was still too much into the technical side of my game and not enough into the mental aspects. It was like a light bulb going off in my head. Once I thought more about it and went back through my round I could see it straight away. On Sunday, even though I didn’t score well I felt that I played very well and managed to get my focus right. I was much happier on the course and even though I wasn’t shooting a great score I was disappointed that there was no more holes left when I was coming up the eighteenth hole. It was a much less stressful round once I forgot about the technical and worried only about the mental side.
    The only disappointing thing about my discovery over the weekend was that I it was too late for the week. I finished well down the field at Riviera, which on a course that I like and have performed well on before, is poor.
    I still enjoyed the week in L.A. as I always do; it is a wonderful stop for the tour. I stayed in Santa Monica, which has plenty to occupy us in the evenings. In fact I was out having dinner on Thursday night with a friend that lives here in Santa Monica and Paddy Kielty walked into the restaurant. We have a mutual friend and so have met a few times; we ended up having dinner later in the week and having a good laugh at how small a world it is!
    As soon as I finished my final round I headed straight to Tucson for the Accenture Matchplay, which starts on Wednesday. I am now looking forward to continuing my good work from the final round later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

L.O.F.T wrote: »
    Martin apologies for the late reply.
    On above: I don't have to get anything especially your interpretation of Harrington or Matchplay as a random game. My opinions are just that, my opinions. But I do believe the results since he won his majors speak volumes that what he is doing to his swing and mental preparation are not working. My intentions were not to misinterpret what you said I simply quoted your words and responded.

I think we could probably go around in circles here forever. You described my view of the WGC Matchplay as farcical. Your reasons for this opinion then had absolutely nothing to do with the point I was making. A lot of players will play well on Wednesday and still go home after day 1. Others will play poorly and yet continue on. This is different to any other event of the year. Not better or worse, just different. The very same performance that would be good enough to beat player A might lose comfortably against player B. The luck of the draw is the random element.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Northern Trust Open - Review

This week was an interesting week for me, but in terms of my finishing position it was another disappointing week. I put myself in a decent position to contend the tournament going into the weekend but another poor weekend of scoring dropped me well down the field. However I actually didn’t leave Riviera unhappy as the weekend helped me sort a few things out in my head. It's funny how these things come about - I spoke to Bob Rotella last Sunday night and we cleared a lot of things up. I was feeling good about myself, and what I had to do and I was committed to doing it. I felt that I did a good job in practice and after the first couple of rounds I would have said that I was on track - it was like I had turned the corner in terms of being easier on myself and working on my focus and routines. Going into the weekend I was feeling confident that I was on the right road and looking forward to playing. However on Saturday I had a bad day - I struggled for most of the day, just didn’t play well and I reverted back to getting down on myself, thinking about my swing and other technical things. As much as I had worked on it during the week as soon as I went a little bit off I was back doing what I have been doing for a while now.
    When I was thinking about it on Saturday night and trying to figure out what went wrong and why I was so hard on myself, I realised that I was still too much into the technical side of my game and not enough into the mental aspects. It was like a light bulb going off in my head. Once I thought more about it and went back through my round I could see it straight away. On Sunday, even though I didn’t score well I felt that I played very well and managed to get my focus right. I was much happier on the course and even though I wasn’t shooting a great score I was disappointed that there was no more holes left when I was coming up the eighteenth hole. It was a much less stressful round once I forgot about the technical and worried only about the mental side.
    The only disappointing thing about my discovery over the weekend was that I it was too late for the week. I finished well down the field at Riviera, which on a course that I like and have performed well on before, is poor.

I'm no psychologist but it reads to me like a negative golfer trying to sound positive.

Martin567 wrote: »
    I think we could probably go around in circles here forever

+1.
    I don't agree with you, but that does not mean I don't respect your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

More muck from PH today
    As the commentator said a few good rounds this year nothing else from Padraig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

soundsham wrote: »
    More muck from PH today
    As the commentator said a few good rounds this year nothing else from Padraig

I hope he goes home and takes a long look at himself and ask himself if he really is up to it because next week is another huge tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭blackwaterfish

some kind of intervention is required here by those around him.

12 changes to swing & pre-shot rountines over this christmas break is absurd. 12 changes to a swing thats creaking is bordering on farcical. it kills me cos ive huge respect for the guy.

and his rationalisation of the errors, in his post round comments, are the same everytime... "well i did this wrong today... now that ive identified what i was doing wrong i'll correct it tonight and take that into tomorrow... should be a good day so"

becoming tiresome.

ffs if a guy is shooting 65's one day and the following day is playing like a turd... and this pattern keeps repeating itself... is that not a mental issue? he's well able to play well... but something is blocking the flow. Clearly he can hit fairways when the mood is right.. same with putting.

stating the obvious: he over-complicates.

somebody needs to step in and SIMPLIFY EVERYTHING.

CAROLINE FFS!

for the first time it occured to me, looking at him play yesterday, he's a sad imitation of his former self.

it sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

hes becoming embarrassing at this stage.

extremely poor yesterday.
    extremely poor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

conno16 wrote: »
    hes becoming embarrassing at this stage.

extremely poor yesterday.
    extremely poor

Yes he is an embarrassment. :rolleyes:

One of Irelands most succesful sportsmen and even when things are not going well (unlike Woods, McIlroy and quite a few of the younger Guys on tour) carries himself well on and off the course. Three time major winner who shown that with belief, dedication and hard work anything is possible. Yes Conno he has a lot to be embarrassed about.

Seriously though do you actually believe the sh1te you type on here or are you just a WUM? I'd like to believe the latter as at least you'd have some shred of credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭blackwaterfish

One of Irelands most succesful sportsmen and even when things are not going well (unlike Woods, McIlroy and quite a few of the younger Guys on tour) carries himself well on and off the course.

couldnt agree more.
    Seriously though do you actually believe the sh1te you type on here or are you just a WUM?

personally ive supported the guy to the hilt... and defended him to the knee-jerk reaction nay-sayers for 2 years since he started this downward spiral. and if he turns up next week and puts in 4 solid rounds i'll be one of the first on here to applaud him.

but ffs the guy clearly needs a slap round the chops. Or Bustercherry... are denying he's got issues?

couldnt agree more.

personally ive supported the guy to the hilt... and defended him to the knee-jerk reaction nay-sayers for 2 years since he started this downward spiral. and if he turns up next week and puts in 4 solid rounds i'll be one of the first on here to applaud him.

but ffs the guy clearly needs a slap round the chops. Or Bustercherry... are denying he's got issues?

He's got issues yeah and i'm not disagreeing with that; the results are not happening, but an embarrassment?

Still a great ambassador for golf in this country and commands a hell of alot of respect from his peers. FFS Michelle de bruin was an embarrassment but you can't put PH in that same bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

Was she that swimmer who couldn't get her mickey into the bottle (well that's what i heard caused the failed test)
    Ya she was defo a bigger embarrassment

Padraig is just infuriating a top class player in a major slump
    Needs something new
    Be it coach caddy or give rotella a break..... Change something coz he seems stale at present

soundsham wrote: »
    Was she that swimmer who couldn't get her mickey into the bottle (well that's what i heard caused the failed test)
    Ya she was defo a bigger embarrassment

Padraig is just infuriating a top class player in a major slump
    Needs something new
    Be it coach caddy or give rotella a break..... Change something coz he seems stale at present

That could be it too, imagine if Tiger had his brother in law on the bag instead of Steve Williams, i bet he wouldn't have had "transgressions" then!!!

Paddy needs to come and play on the Euro Tour for a few weeks and get his mojo back.

so he carries himself well in defeat/humiliation
    damn i'm proud of him

and he won 3 previous majors
    well done paddy, have you contributed to sergio's counselling since?

he is ok around the green (putting excluded) but a farce off the tee and generally with second shots

the tour is too big today - harro and his likes are not up to it and diluting the beauty of the game
    who the hell got any satisfaction or enjoyment watching him hack thru 13/14 holes (or whatever he survived) yesterday?

damn i'm proud of him

he is ok around the green (putting excluded) but a farce off the tee and generally with second shots

the tour is too big today - harro and his likes are not up to it and diluting the beauty of the game
    who the hell got any satisfaction or enjoyment watching him hack thru 13/14 holes (or whatever he survived) yesterday?

Oh FFS, who's gonna step up and replace him? You?

Excrement Conno, pure excrement. Your really excelling yourself on here today, you should be proud of the way you handle your humiliation too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭goodgolfer64

damn i'm proud of him

'He is ok' and the word 'Farce'??? made me laugh...
    please

Excrement Conno, pure excrement. Your really excelling yourself on here today, you should be proud of the way you handle your humiliation too :rolleyes:

its not a question of replacing him
    fill the tour with players who entertain the crowds / viewers or who are machines in the golf course from a technical perspective

harro fits neither of these requirements so I'd turf him out

let me provide a few examples of players to include: tiger (entertainment value, plus good range of skills, albeit waning somewhat), kaymer / westwood (great technical ability), Phil (technical ability and personality)

• Advertisement

its not a question of replacing him
    fill the tour with players who entertain the crowds / viewers or who are machines in the golf course from a technical perspective

harro fits neither of these requirements so I'd turf him out

let me provide a few examples of players to include: tiger (entertainment value, plus good range of skills, albeit waning somewhat), kaymer / westwood (great technical ability), Phil (technical ability and personality)

Wow......such ****e

While I agree that Harrington is on a slippery slide at the moment, I do not agree that he doesn't provide:
    1. Entertainment- Remember the scrambling in last years Irish Open, I have never seen anyone scramble as well as that in any tournament, it was fascinating
    2. Techincal Ability- You do not win 3 majors without great technical ability, his ability to imagine shots like the quality he produced on the back nine in the 2008 USPGA championship
    3. Personality- He has a great personality and attitude, all of his fellow golfers speak highly of him and he is a credit to our country and also he shows what can be achieved with hard work and determination.
    Yes he is in a slump, but he shouldn't be thrown off tour just for that......had Westy been ousted a few years ago when he was world no. 265 then we wouldn't get to see his great ability now.

the personality test:

would you like to get stuck in a lift with harro for 30 minutes?
    unless ur interested in accountancy formulas i think not
    sure he'd bang on about his 3 lightweight major wins
    we've heard it all before - young fella puts bugs in the claret jugs etc
    hillarious

save it for the late late with tubbers

85868700.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1298642166&Signature=IN0eNWeIKb6YKmVLeve2pt%2BR1Dc%3D

not that harro will ever have a green jacket but could you honestly see him cruising around (prob drives a volvo - unspectacular but reliably boring) while sporting his gift from augusta

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

the personality test:

hillarious

The bitterness is strong with this one. I'd love 30 minutes chat time with one of the best sportpersons Ireland has ever produced, yes. But then, I am interested in sport.

the personality test:

hillarious

The funny thing is Conno, I personally am an accountant so I wouldn't find that aspect of his company boring but at the same time just to spend 30 mins with one of my biggest idols would be a dream come through..........

Lightweight majors, really?:rolleyes:

Conno always get's the newbie's:

'He is ok' and the word 'Farce'??? made me laugh...
    please
    ssbob wrote: »
    Wow......such ****e
    The bitterness is strong with this one

must_not_feed_the_troll.jpg

L.O.F.T wrote: »
    Conno always get's the newbie's:

must_not_feed_the_troll.jpg

Yawn :rolleyes:

Hasn't got me at all, IMO he's a WUM but at times I actually think he's may be for real. For example when he started that drivel about hybrids. Few boy's round here like to talk good games and have far too much to say at times, playing of what I don't believe to be overly impressive handicaps too :rolleyes:

No offence like :p

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

Obviously a Troll, spotted, but reacted to on the basis of its sheer stupidity. It diminishes a board when gobsh1tes get away with making gobsh1tey statements without it being pointed out that they are in fact gobs1tes.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

Obviously a Troll, spotted, but reacted to on the basis of its sheer stupidity. It diminishes a board when gobsh1tes get away with making gobsh1tey statements without it being pointed out that they are in fact gobs1tes.

He's been that way for as long as I can remember. Much better to IGNORE him and hope he goes away or gets another ban which usually doesnt take long anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭goodgolfer64

the personality test:

hillarious

conno you sound like a 16 year old who wears the white belts yet cant break 80!!!!! put your trophies on the table and im not talkin about your local captains prize....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement