Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭abff

Not a great day at the office, but fair dues to him for covering the last four holes in minus three after such an awful round for the first fourteen holes. Be nice to see him shoot 65 or 66 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Master class from Harrington was good
    watched this myself and as a high hc player found it quite interesting. I'd struggle with bunker play because I never really knew how to play from them , it was always swing and hope I got out of sand . But Harrington explained it very well and the putting all weigh on front leg is something I can practice from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Real mixed bag this week, had 20 birdies which was actually 3 more than Lowry who came second. 3 doubles over the weekend killed any momentum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

+1 through 9 today with 3 birdies :eek: A dreaded treble on the 7th hole.

Still +1 after 14. Not playing that badly (apart from the triple bogey) but not having much luck with the putter. Getting a good bit of coverage by Sky Sports. I'm usually one of the first to criticise them for not showing Irish golfers, but they've shown a lot of Padraig today, so fair dues to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

His playing partners are currently -9 & -5 while Paddy is +1. He is playing these days like a struggling journeyman pro & it must be embarrassing for him. Outside the cut at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

His playing partners are currently -9 & -5 while Paddy is +1. He is playing these days like a struggling journeyman pro & it must be embarrassing for him. Outside the cut at the moment.

Are you for real??

A struggling journeyman pro?

He is also -2 so far and well inside the cut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

AGC wrote: »
    Are you for real??

Haters gonna hate

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

He is currently on the cut mark of -2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Trampas

AGC wrote: »
    Are you for real??

Last 2 years he's got world ranking points in around 12 events. 50+ events

That's a stat of a struggling journeyman.

Apart from the win in the states it's been a pretty mediocre season.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

P needs to make big changes, the Joyce's/Stokes/Wards/Nevins travel with less family members

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Wouldn't be too worried about Padraig's form. He says himself that he's been striking the ball as well as he has in years at the moment. I don't think he's deluded, that's just golf. Anyone who plays themselves know there's always periods when you feel you're playing well but your scorecard seems to say otherwise. If he can start making a few more putts I think he'll come on a bit over the next few months.

PGA tour in Malaysia this week, decent start for Padraig. -4 for tied 16th although -10 leads already!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

What is story with that injury ?

Good start - but again , he is never going to feature in events with -10 at lead day 1.

Good start - but again , he is never going to feature in events with -10 at lead day 1.

This is his last event of 2015 so an early winter break to get it sorted no doubt.

This is his last event of 2015 so an early winter break to get it sorted no doubt.

So not easy to play with any issue with body. Even for us.
    so we should just give the mid 40 injured , 3 time major winner and winner this year a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

So not easy to play with any issue with body. Even for us.
    so we should just give the mid 40 injured , 3 time major winner and winner this year a break.
    He's -4 and in the top 20 while carrying an injury. What do you expect of the man, miracles? -40 isn't going to win this event, sometimes everything goes your way and you get a freak round like that. It's not a sign he is miles behind, it's just a sign someone had a great day.

Only shot level par today to drop to t45, needed to shoot -4 to hold his position. 5 birdies again but unfortunately has a quadruple bogey on his second hole so was fighting to recover for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Only shot level par today to drop to t45, needed to shoot -4 to hold his position. 5 birdies again but unfortunately has a quadruple bogey on his second hole so was fighting to recover for the day.

That quadruple bogey is sickening - otherwise it would have been a decent round. It seems a long time since he had a blow out like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭HB2002

vienne86 wrote: »
    That quadruple bogey is sickening - otherwise it would have been a decent round. It seems a long time since he had a blow out like that.

Unfortunately not..... he's always likely to throw in a double or triple or worse.
    If you look back at the last couple of tournaments they're what have killed him.

His bad holes seem to be worse than the others.....:(

• Advertisement

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    He's -4 and in the top 20 while carrying an injury. What do you expect of the man, miracles? -40 isn't going to win this event, sometimes everything goes your way and you get a freak round like that. It's not a sign he is miles behind, it's just a sign someone had a great day.

Nobody said -40 was going to win it.
    But clearly it was a very and is a very low scoring event.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Nobody said -40 was going to win it.
    But clearly it was a very and is a very low scoring event.
    Actually they kinda did, you kinda implied it with your comment above.
    Also the scoring in this event won't be dissimilar to all the other run of the mill European tour events with the winning score in the low to mid 20 under range.
    So shooting 4 under on day one by no way means you are out it.
    If it's going to be your week, it's going to be your week and when it is "your week" you will find a way to win.

I kinda didn't.

My point is events that are in this -20 range (not 40)
    Are not his type of events.

Even in full health will be tougher harder events.

And ironically enough . These are more important events and worth getting worked up about.

I haven't even looked it up . But how often and when does padraig ever get to -20.

Anyway.

I'm waiting for a major next year.
    Maybe Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

I kinda didn't.

My point is events that are in this -20 range (not 40)
    Are not his type of events.

Even in full health will be tougher harder events.

And ironically enough . These are more important events and worth getting worked up about.

I haven't even looked it up . But how often and when does padraig ever get to -20.

Anyway.

I'm waiting for a major next year.
    Maybe Open.

Ah yeah, ya kinda did (maybe without realising it or meaning to), but you kinda did all the same.
    You do realise Padraig is in his mid fourties and it's not expected of any golfer to be continually and regularly competitive at that age and beyond (well maybe on the Champions tour, but not the PGA or European tours), also referring to Padraigs current exploits in the same vain as you would with a young fledging pro is bizarre in the extreme, but hey ho takes all sorts to make the world go around.
    There is only sure thing at that age and that is inconsistency, although a player of Padraigs ability and track record may intermittently interrupt that pattern with moments of brilliance (like the Honda classic this year)such is life and what not, can't stop the sands of time etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Four birdies and an eagle today and yet Padraig somehow manages to shoot an over par round. :(

It's becoming a bit of a trend for him to start events pretty well and then just get steadily worse from there. Hopefully he can put in a strong finish tomorrow, get the injury dealt with and come back refreshed. :)

Four birdies and an eagle today and yet Padraig somehow manages to shoot an over par round. :(

It's becoming a bit of a trend for him to start events pretty well and then just get steadily worse from there. Hopefully he can put in a strong finish tomorrow, get the injury dealt with and come back refreshed. :)

I had to go and look at his card to see how he could have done that! What a crazy looking round - what is the man doing?????

Are you sure about that? Will he not be defending his Indonesia Open title?

Padraig finished with a 70 in tied 56th place on 5 under overall. It could have been a lot worse. He was 3 over after 6 holes, but played the last 12 in 5 under.

abff wrote: »
    Padraig finished with a 70 in tied 56th place on 5 under overall. It could have been a lot worse. He was 3 over after 6 holes, but played the last 12 in 5 under.

This streaky play is not good for my nerves. I'm glad I wasn't watching!

• Advertisement

abff wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? Will he not be defending his Indonesia Open title?

He said this was his last event in 2015 so he could have the knee op and time to recuperate.

19 birdies and an eagle and only finish -5 was another poor week unfortunately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement