Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Old diesel wrote: »
    It got worse at 15 with a triple bogie - but amazingly - he goes off to the next hole and birdies it.

5 over for the day with one hole to play.
    Not that amazing really, it's a driveable par 4. Seems to be a case that when he can get to a good place mentally he can compete, but more often than not that desserts him for a period in almost every tournament now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

fullstop wrote: »
    Not that amazing really, it's a driveable par 4. Seems to be a case that when he can get to a good place mentally he can compete, but more often than not that desserts him for a period in almost every tournament now.

I mean amazing in that he birdied immediately after a triple bogie

And your right - its about getting to a good place mentally - that's his major issue. Your right about the whole good mental place desserting him for a period.

He was in a good spot mentally for the Honda - that's why he won it.

Tbh I think his best performance since then was at the players* - he had to battle very hard to make the cut - and in his 3rd round had a nightmare few wholes at 3, 4 and 5 (I think - but battled superbly to (if I remember rightly) not drop a shot over the final 31 holes - and finish T42 - after a fine -5 on the final round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

ForeRight wrote: »
    He can't play well every week lads give the man a break

You could argue he's only played well one week this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

You could argue he's only played well one week this season.

You could argue anything really

ForeRight wrote: »
    You could argue anything really

To be fair - much depends on what one means by playing well.

His Honda win was obviously the big performance.

But he has played decent golf in other events - but its been spoiled by mistakes and poor periods during an event.

For example - at Pebble beach - he had 2 or 3 double/triple bogies - and was at 7 under and looking like making the cut before a triple bogie at the 18th in the 3rd round.

Cut was a bit odd at that event because it was after 3 rounds instead of the normal 2.

Then there was the week before the masters when he went to 9 under before a nightmare few holes.

Its too easy to slate the guy - but for some perspective

hes in top 100 in the world - out of 1500 people.

He NARROWLY missed out on US open qualifying last week by ONE shot - coming back from a shoulder injury.

He CAN play - but its the mental aspect of things his struggling with.

• Advertisement

Id still consider the TPC players a fairly good week for him - especially how he bounced back in the last 31 holes.

I don't know where he goes from here - but he does need to identify the first 27 holes this week as a positive in that it shows his potential. Now before the "ah but we can't ignore what happened afterwards" replies fly in - the thing is - potential is NOT the same as performance.

Potential represents what you could do if you perform to the absolute best of your ability and skill - and even beyond it on the day.

Performance is what you actually do - so you can see they are not the same thing.

So I can safely say that 27 holes at -7 shows great potential - but that finishing at +10 in the same event represents a poor performance overall

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭zizou_

At the risk of stating the obvious I think Harrington has been pretty consistent over the last few years. This thread is littered with stories of where he would be on the leaderboard if he didn't have that double or if he hadn't gone for the par 5 in two etc. For whatever reason he seems to rack up more doubles/trebles than other tour players and it is virtually impossible to contend consistently while this is happening.

I'm not saying he won't contend/win again but these good days will be the exception rather than the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Casualty list is quite long...5 players ended up under par.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ruu wrote: »
    Casualty list is quite long...5 players ended up under par.

Where did Harrington end?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Stheno wrote: »
    Where did Harrington end?

+10

• Advertisement

Tie for 43rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Unchanged in the World Rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Is he playing this week?

Don't think so. St.Jude Classic starting on June 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Don't think so. St.Jude Classic starting on June 11th.

Yeah. That's what it says on his website. I wonder if he'll play this week in the hope that he'll win it.

Teeing off at 12:50 local time for the St.Judes Classic in Memphis. Last chance saloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Teeing off at 12:50 local time for the St.Judes Classic in Memphis. Last chance saloon.

Its ridiculous that he hasn't qualified even though he won one of the biggest PGA tour events all year. I think I seen Lingmerth playing one of the qualifiers on Monday, the day after he won on the PGA tour, seems crazy to me.

E through hole 3.

On the move now, birdie on 4. -1

Ran into trouble on the 9th hole and ended up with a bogey, back to even par.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,826 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

+1 thru 13

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

And missed a short one at 14 to go 2 over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

And made a mess of the Par 5 16th, another awful round.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

God that was a horrendous putt there for par on the par 5. Took forever over the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Showing a lot of him on SKY Sports tonight, sad to watch, into the middle of a lake now after taking a 3 wood instead of driver for safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Shambles of a back 9

5 over for his last 6 holes to finish 5 over. Still 1 better than gmac though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I wasn't watching last night.....and I think I'm glad - shocking stuff. But as someone said, better than GMac......what on earth has happened to GMac's game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

vienne86 wrote: »
    ...what on earth has happened to GMac's game?

Got married, had a kid............ its happened to all of us.......or it will.....beware

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭benny79

yipsnomore wrote: »
    Got married, had a kid............ its happened to all of us.......or it will.....beware

Ha... So True..So True...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

yipsnomore wrote: »

Not sure he can blame his five 3-putts on kids and marriage. That makes Harringtons putting sound good, which I though was impossible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement