Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

It seems he holed a six footer to save par on the 7th hole, his 16th. His putting seems to be much better than it was a while back. Thank goodness he seems to have dumped the belly putter and other gimmicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

abff wrote: »
    Yes, I noticed that. He hasn't being doing well on par 5s for quite a while. It's a bit strange, given how much longer he's driving the ball. I think it's partly due to him being a bit overaggressive sometimes in going for the green in two and partly due to his short game not being as good as it used to be. The two factors are probably not entirely unrelated.

I'm open to correction but I thought he did well enough on them last outing,not that it did him any good...as in he birdied his fair share.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

vienne86 wrote: »
    It seems he holed a six footer to save par on the 7th hole, his 16th. His putting seems to be much better than it was a while back. Thank goodness he seems to have dumped the belly putter and other gimmicks.

Yes, he seems to be holing out well. According to shot tracker, he's holed two putts from 5 feet, one from 6 feet, two from 7 feet, one from 9 feet and one from 16 feet. The shortest putt he's missed has been from 14 feet (twice).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

That was a good 3 ball, Toms -10 and Glover -6.

A couple of 4 footers for par on the last two holes. Finished on 5 under and currently in a tie for 6th. No need to worry about the cut. Could this be the start of a renaissance?

• Advertisement

Lovely round! That was some three ball today.

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    I'm open to correction but I thought he did well enough on them last outing,not that it did him any good...as in he birdied his fair share.

Which tournament are you referring to?

His last tournament was the McGladrey Classic where he missed the 36 hole cut. He birdied both par 5s on the opening day and bogeyed them both on the Friday.

Prior to that, he was MDF in the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open. This has three par 5s and he averaged 1 under on the par 5s over the three rounds he played (3 birdies, 6 pars). The average for the field as a whole was 1.22 under par.

Which tournament are you referring to?

His last tournament was the McGladrey Classic where he missed the 36 hole cut. He birdied both par 5s on the opening day and bogeyed them both on the Friday.

Prior to that, he was MDF in the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open. This has three par 5s and he averaged 1 under on the par 5s over the three rounds he played (3 birdies, 6 pars). The average for the field as a whole was 1.22 under par.

Without sounding condesending,I bow down to your superior recollection of the last couple of rounds!I think I wasnprobably looking through rose tinted glasses.....let just focus on 2 solid rounds there from paddy and look forward to a good weekend!i think a top ten is not unreasonable!

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Without sounding condesending,I bow down to your superior recollection of the last couple of rounds!I think I wasnprobably looking through rose tinted glasses.....let just focus on 2 solid rounds there from paddy and look forward to a good weekend!i think a top ten is not unreasonable!

It was more a vague idea than a clear recollection, but I checked back to see what happened. I think we're both fans who just want him to do well and any analysis we do on Boards is probably pretty irrelevant in terms of what he's going to do next.

I agree that the most important thing is what he's going to do this weekend. Fingers crossed!

It was more a vague idea than a clear recollection, but I checked back to see what happened. I think we're both fans who just want him to do well and any analysis we do on Boards is probably pretty irrelevant in terms of what he's going to do next.

I agree that the most important thing is what he's going to do this weekend. Fingers crossed!

Agreed!paddy's well placed and he's improved on his opening round so onwards and upwards!

• Advertisement

Putter seems to have gone a bit cold today, unfortunately. Three putt from 18 feet on the first (including second putt from 3' 8") and missed birdie putts of 6 feet on the 5th and 5 feet on the 7th. Currently 1 over today and in a tie for 35th. If he had got those three putts (including the 2nd putt at the 1st), he would be in a tie for 9th.

Ouch! Another 3 putt, this time from 26 feet, with the second putt missed from 4' 10". Now in a tie for 47th.

Really needs a good back nine if he's going to have any chance of a decent week.seems like he kept his putter in the fridge overnight!

Ha ha holes a 32 footer on the 9th, you cant guess what PH will do :D

And then he sinks a 32 footer for birdie on the 9th!

Looks like he's in the water on par 5 11th.

6-6 to drop 3 shots on the 11th and 12th. I'm not going to watch any more.

6-6 to drop 3 shots on the 11th and 12th. I'm not going to watch any more.

Same here, 2 trips to the drink. Luckily there's no 3rd round cut. Lets be honest we're not even surprised. 4 steady rounds seems to be beyond him at this stage.

True Jerry. And then he goes and birdies the next. Maybe next week??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Maybe next week??

You better believe it buddy

• Advertisement

I haven't been following him today, but have just looked at his card now. What the hell? He has shown us he has a decent game now, but why on earth can he not put together four consecutive rounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I haven't been following him today, but have just looked at his card now. What the hell? He has shown us he has a decent game now, but why on earth can he not put together four consecutive rounds?

Unfortunately it's been that way pretty much for the last 5/6 years so not sure why you seem surprised.

HighLine wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's been that way pretty much for the last 5/6 years so not sure why you seem surprised.

I'm more disapointed than surprised. Really thought he seemed to be going better lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I'm more disapointed than surprised. Really thought he seemed to be going better lately.

Based on what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

He simply can't put it together for four rounds these days, hopefully that will change at some point but I'm beginning to lose hope.

He's playing some ok stuff, mixed with some truly shocking golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Think we are all disappointed for him. Golf is a funny game...maybe one day things will all click into place for him but if not, well he has had a mighty fine career when he looks back on his days at the top of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Whats the story with Padraig and the European tour.

I know he lost his PGA tour card and afaik is playing on sponsors invites - although I could be wrong.

But I always thought the European tour and the PGA were separate things completely - ie the PGA was the American tour.

Am I wrong????

tbh - while hes not doing well - I do respect the fact that hes keeping at it - it would be easy for him to decide to pack it in.

Do we think that's a likely prospect - Padraig packing it in?????

Old diesel wrote: »
    Whats the story with Padraig and the European tour.

I know he lost his PGA tour card and afaik is playing on sponsors invites - although I could be wrong.

But I always thought the European tour and the PGA were separate things completely - ie the PGA was the American tour.

Am I wrong????

tbh - while hes not doing well - I do respect the fact that hes keeping at it - it would be easy for him to decide to pack it in.

Do we think that's a likely prospect - Padraig packing it in?????

I think Padraig couldn't hack Padraig packing it in......it's his life. He wants to be the best and will try anything to be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I think Padraig couldn't hack Padraig packing it in......it's his life. He wants to be the best and will try anything to be that.

I suppose I was wondering with all this PGA card stuff - whether the point might come where he might not be able to keep going even if he wanted to.

Not sure if that's making sense.

What way does the European tour work for him - if he can't keep going with PGA - how does European tour work out.

I realise obviously that everyone whose in professional Golf had to start somewhere to get the card in the first place - so in theory he should be able to restart the process of getting the card back - but how realistic is this.

Im assuming btw that he won't be able to make enough money to get it back with this sponsors invitations etc.

• Advertisement

Well he's 98 in the race to Dubai, so on that alone, he has a European card.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement