Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Lads I don't think the sunshine tour even has anything on this week, he's off to old Mexico. Maybe he is going to Leopard Creek for the Alfred Dunhill next month.

I see the Volvo golf champions isn't on the calendar for 2015, the only event he's finished top 5 in the last 2 years. Without that kick start this year he'd have been 139th in race to Dubai.

Turkish Airlines open went down to 82th in race to Dubai rankings, he should really have been able to make that field with the start he got to the year. I see John Daly got a sponsors invite!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Lads I don't think the sunshine tour even has anything on this week, he's off to old Mexico. Maybe he is going to Leopard Creek for the Alfred Dunhill next month.

I see the Volvo golf champions isn't on the calendar for 2015, the only event he's finished top 5 in the last 2 years. Without that kick start this year he'd have been 139th in race to Dubai.

Its his website that saying that hes off to South Africa for two events????

Confusing I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well the event in Mexico is on Sky so with luck we will get to see him this week on TV.......it might be easier on the nerves than the shot tracker!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

Despite the odd flash of form it seems that making the cut at the moment is the best he can hope for. To finish so far behind the winner having been in contention after 2 days is a real disappointment & a worry. Further down the world rankings again this week.

Despite the odd flash of form it seems that making the cut at the moment is the best he can hope for. To finish so far behind the winner having been in contention after 2 days is a real disappointment & a worry. Further down the world rankings again this week.
    Down that end of the world rankings, it is very slippery. Players have so few points, and one good/bad performance makes a huge difference to the position. I agree that last weeks performance is worrying....he was looking so good for the first couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

I want Padraig to represent us at the Olympics. He played a big part in making it an olympic event. I believe its only 2 per country though.. I know Rors is one but what GMac up to?

vienne86 wrote: »
    Down that end of the world rankings, it is very slippery. Players have so few points, and one good/bad performance makes a huge difference to the position. I agree that last weeks performance is worrying....he was looking so good for the first couple of days.

The collapse is a concern - as it would have being better if he had put in a better performance over days 3 and 4.

However - the fact that he actually did very well on the first 2 days is in fact a strong positive in itself. Would be a lot more worrying I think if he didn't have a performance like the first 2 days in him AT ALL.

Also his response to the nightmare 3rd hole in round 4 - was also very impressive - in a way that's almost as strong a positive as the first 2 days.

What the first 2 days - and the Dunhill Links performance show us - and this is crucial - I think - is that the guy still has ability as a golfer.

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    I want Padraig to represent us at the Olympics. He played a big part in making it an olympic event. I believe its only 2 per country though.. I know Rors is one but what GMac up to?

Id love if he performed a big comeback and got into the Olympics.

But its a really tall order to go from 353 to number 15 in the world (its Padraig himself that reckons he needs to be top 15 in the world to make the Olympics) by 2016.

Obviously id be delighted if he pulled that one off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

ronanc1000 wrote: »

Gmac is playing for Ireland. Shane lowrey is also a long way ahead of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Old diesel wrote: »
    Id love if he performed a big comeback and got into the Olympics.

But its a really tall order to go from 353 to number 15 in the world (its Padraig himself that reckons he needs to be top 15 in the world to make the Olympics) by 2016.

Obviously id be delighted if he pulled that one off

He's currently the 6th ranked Irish (Republic & NI) golfer in the world rankings behind Rory, Gmac, Lowry, Hoey & McGrane.

Would take a few wins for him to get above Gmac in the rankings and get the 2nd spot guaranteed. While it's nice to have lofty goals I think there are a few lesser goals he needs to focus on first and foremost.

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    He's currently the 6th ranked Irish (Republic & NI) golfer in the world rankings behind Rory, Gmac, Lowry, Hoey & McGrane.

Would take a few wins for him to get above Gmac in the rankings and get the 2nd spot guaranteed. While it's nice to have lofty goals I think there are a few lesser goals he needs to focus on first and foremost.

That was kind of my point - it is in indeed a tall order.

Im sure hes well aware of what he would need to do :)

When I saw mention of it first - I thought that he was simply setting that target as a motivational tool for himself - to try and drive forward

Just as a matter of interest how many Irish Golfers are in the world rankings????

Just as a matter of interest how many Irish Golfers are in the world rankings????

There are 11 ROI golfers with ranking points currently and 9 from NI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

Since he is ranked 300 and whatever, how come he is not losing his PGA card is it because he is a Major winner?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

benny79 wrote: »
    Since he is ranked 300 and whatever, how come he is not losing his PGA card is it because he is a Major winner?

He has lost his u.s card

I was delighted with his performance on the first two days of last week's tournament, but was so so disappointed in his last two rounds, and particularly in the blow out hole. But yes, fair play to him for pulling himself together after that hole, but it was an up and down round.....very few pars. But a pro golfer just should not post plus 5 on a hole. Padraig had done it.......rather more often than most. That worries me.

But I'll be rooting for him again on Thursday!

He has lost his card, but due to the fields being weak at this time of year he is able to get into these tournaments with his ranking from last year. He will have to rely on some sponsors exemptions to make the field of tournaments when the real season kicks off, and hope he can make enough money from the tournaments he plays in to get his card for the following year.

He has an exemption on life earnings, which can only be used for one year, but he has decided not to use that this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

oh so he only has his European, is he in danger of losing that? I know Immalmen plays on the challenge tour now or did last year.

oh so he only has his European, is he in danger of losing that? I know Immalmen plays on the challenge tour now or did last year.

No, he has an exemption anyway on the European tour because of his Open wins.....that has a few more years to run. Ten year exemption I think.

I was delighted with his performance on the first two days of last week's tournament, but was so so disappointed in his last two rounds, and particularly in the blow out hole. But yes, fair play to him for pulling himself together after that hole, but it was an up and down round.....very few pars. But a pro golfer just should not post plus 5 on a hole. Padraig had done it.......rather more often than most. That worries me.

But I'll be rooting for him again on Thursday!

I was disappointed he fell back so much in the final 2 rounds as well.

But the fact he HAD being able to be in contention for the first 2 rounds and do well - shows that he still has ability.

That's important I think FOR HIM - to know what he can still do

It is a worry though - because apart from anything else - we don't know what Padraig will turn up in Mexico - the guy that did 5 under par in 36 holes - or the lad that hit a plus 5 on a par 4.

Hopefully its the former - and this is part of the reason that his recovery from the plus 5 is important I think

• Advertisement

Obviously he still has a lot of work to do - and a lot of issues to correct - Putting for example - and the obvious tendency to make horrendous mistakes.

My blood pressure is raising already wondering what happens next

Anyway - sorry for being so passionate and argumentative.

Id just really like to see him come back to some sort of form and im trying to pick out some positive signs that this MIGHT POSSIBLY happen lol.

No, he has an exemption anyway on the European tour because of his Open wins.....that has a few more years to run. Ten year exemption I think.

Honorary lifetime membership of the European tour according to this...

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/p%C3%A1draig-harrington-loses-pga-tour-card-1.1898474

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/p%C3%A1draig-harrington-loses-pga-tour-card-1.1898474

Yea, Has a ten year exemption from his major wins.

Also is No' 4 on the all time European Money list with the top 40 getting cards so be a long time before he drops out of this
    http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/stats/career/

Here are all the tour exemption categories
    http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/players/examptioncat/

Nice to have.....anyway, I can't see him packing in golf for a several years yet.

Nice to have.....anyway, I can't see him packing in golf for a several years yet.

Neither can I - he likes it too much I reckon :D

Neither can I - he likes it too much I reckon :D

Actually I sometimes wonder if he has any other things going on in his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

And the good news is no shot tracker this week!
    Well it's there if you really want it but no distances so not worth a lot apart from greens and fairways being hit.

And the good news is no shot tracker this week!
    Well it's there if you really want it but no distances so not worth a lot apart from greens and fairways being hit.

I'd prefer to have the shot tracker, warts and all, when they're not showing him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Good start from Padraig.Started with 4pars and then a birdie on the par 5 fifth

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement