Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Levy/Joe Lewis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal-worth-more-than-1bn-and-placed-ahead-of-chelsea-in-new-football-market-study-a2921371.html
    Tottenham, meanwhile, have seen their value increase by 60 per cent in the last two years to £710m, which leaves them just behind the Blues, but their worth is expected to increase further once the club complete their new stadium.

Just to draw a comparison Aston Villa were largely seen as a rival to Spurs to push on and break that top 4 several years ago. There is quite a huge difference these days...

Shame for villa that they seemed to just go the opposite direction to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

would love to see a blimp instead as it would be air-born for longer...
    http://thecrowdfundingcentre.com/?page=project&id=6D7C54

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭yiddo59

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

KingdomYid wrote: »

I look forward to a statement from the club but I highly doubt it'll be of any real interest to anyone if there somehow is one. I think this is the second time in recent years THST has put out an open letter to the board. Right? I can't remember whst was said the last time.

What club is as transparent as our supporters trust want our club to be? Would be great if all clubs were so open but I don't think there's many who are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

KingdomYid wrote: »

good statement - it's nice to see them taking a harder line than normal - bodes well for the future

that said, I can't see Levy taking much notice until the trust has some serious numbers behind it

I don't expect any response

for all you levy sympathizers

Levy+Wheelbarrow.gif

WINDOW WRAP - SUMMER TRANSFER WINDOW 2015
    Posted on 2 September 2015 - 18:15

Chairman Daniel Levy and Head Coach Mauricio Pochettino provide us with a perspective on our transfer business following the close of the summer window yesterday.

“At the end of last season Mauricio was clear what we needed to do and what we certainly shouldn’t do”, said Daniel. “He wanted to streamline the squad, strengthen it and retain the ability to develop the talent we already had. Importantly, we also needed to keep our key players.

“That meant reducing the squad number, improving the team defensively and adding exciting attacking forwards. It also meant that if we couldn’t secure the few key targets we wanted, we wouldn’t just add others. And we needed to keep the space for our current players to flourish.”

This summer we moved early to secure our targets and were able to conclude the acquisitions of Dele Alli from Milton Keynes (to join us this July), Toby Alderweireld from Atletico Madrid (on loan last season at Southampton), Kieran Trippier from Burnley and Kevin Wimmer from Cologne.

We went on to add Clinton Njie from Olympique Lyonnais and Heung-Min Son from Bayer Leverkusen. Aaron Lennon, Roberto Soldado, Paulinho, Etienne Capoue, Lewis Holtby, Benjamin Stambouli, Vlad Chiriches and Younes Kaboul departed the Club over the summer months and we wish them well for the future.

Mauricio said, “I look at our squad and I know we have worked well to shape it. Strengthening our defence was a priority given the number of goals we conceded last season. Toby, Kevin and Kieran add depth and quality.
    “In Dele, Sonny and Clinton we have three young, fast and exciting players who can play in several different attacking positions, giving us good options.

“All of them had impressive seasons in their respective leagues last season and we are excited about their potential alongside that of our current players.

“I have been very clear that we would only add players that we felt would improve us and if any one player was not possible then I prefer we do not add for the sake of it. Much has been said about us only having one recognised striker in Harry - I don’t accept this at all - the positional play of today’s forwards means it’s too simplistic to look for goals from any one position - playing a fluid style means players switch. Also we secured Sonny and Clinton in the knowledge that we may not be adding any other forward.”

Daniel added, “We have never, as a Club, spoken about another team’s players and I am not about to do so now. However, I do want to make a few general points regarding transfers.
    “Firstly, there is hardly a transfer concluded across Europe which doesn’t include staged payments. This is particularly so when significant amounts such as £20m-£30m are involved - players don’t come cheaply these days.

“Secondly, we do not make anything personal. None of the proposals, discussions or negotiations we undertake involve any personal elements or ego - everything we do is in the interest of what is best for our Club.
    “Thirdly, we never make anything public, particularly in the best interests of the players involved. Making aspects such as transfer requests public is wholly disrespectful to a player.

“Our pragmatic player trading has been important in the way we have run the business of the Club and in getting us to the position where we have now been able to start work on a new stadium - the one thing that has the ability to take this Club to the next level of competitiveness. I make no apologies for being ambitious for our Club and looking to deliver future success for our fans.

“This season," underlined Mauricio, “we start with a combination of our own players who have come through the ranks and players that bring skills and experience from other leagues. Most importantly, it’s a squad of players with heart - it’s a squad I’m proud to field.”

CN5ouQUXAAA0bFQ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

When I read that article first (on SSN app) I thought the quotes defending the fact we only have Kane as a striker (or rather disputing it) werw ftom Levy himseld but now that I've read it above, it's actually Poch who said that part.

... I dunno what to make of it all at this stage but it looks as if Poch may fall on his own sword after those comments.

I'm just going to judge the team (club) on their performances on the pitch from now on.

The proof of our transfer policy (or lack of) will ultimately be in seen in our results, our performances and our league position. If those are are up to standard then I'll be first to say well done to Levy, enic and Co. If not, then brace yourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

WINDOW WRAP - SUMMER TRANSFER WINDOW 2015
    Posted on 2 September 2015 - 18:15

Chairman Daniel Levy and Head Coach Mauricio Pochettino provide us with a perspective on our transfer business following the close of the summer window yesterday.

“At the end of last season Mauricio was clear what we needed to do and what we certainly shouldn’t do”, said Daniel. “He wanted to streamline the squad, strengthen it and retain the ability to develop the talent we already had. Importantly, we also needed to keep our key players.

“That meant reducing the squad number, improving the team defensively and adding exciting attacking forwards. It also meant that if we couldn’t secure the few key targets we wanted, we wouldn’t just add others. And we needed to keep the space for our current players to flourish.”

This summer we moved early to secure our targets and were able to conclude the acquisitions of Dele Alli from Milton Keynes (to join us this July), Toby Alderweireld from Atletico Madrid (on loan last season at Southampton), Kieran Trippier from Burnley and Kevin Wimmer from Cologne.

We went on to add Clinton Njie from Olympique Lyonnais and Heung-Min Son from Bayer Leverkusen. Aaron Lennon, Roberto Soldado, Paulinho, Etienne Capoue, Lewis Holtby, Benjamin Stambouli, Vlad Chiriches and Younes Kaboul departed the Club over the summer months and we wish them well for the future.

Mauricio said, “I look at our squad and I know we have worked well to shape it. Strengthening our defence was a priority given the number of goals we conceded last season. Toby, Kevin and Kieran add depth and quality.
    “In Dele, Sonny and Clinton we have three young, fast and exciting players who can play in several different attacking positions, giving us good options.

“All of them had impressive seasons in their respective leagues last season and we are excited about their potential alongside that of our current players.

“I have been very clear that we would only add players that we felt would improve us and if any one player was not possible then I prefer we do not add for the sake of it. Much has been said about us only having one recognised striker in Harry - I don’t accept this at all - the positional play of today’s forwards means it’s too simplistic to look for goals from any one position - playing a fluid style means players switch. Also we secured Sonny and Clinton in the knowledge that we may not be adding any other forward.”

Daniel added, “We have never, as a Club, spoken about another team’s players and I am not about to do so now. However, I do want to make a few general points regarding transfers.
    “Firstly, there is hardly a transfer concluded across Europe which doesn’t include staged payments. This is particularly so when significant amounts such as £20m-£30m are involved - players don’t come cheaply these days.

“Secondly, we do not make anything personal. None of the proposals, discussions or negotiations we undertake involve any personal elements or ego - everything we do is in the interest of what is best for our Club.
    “Thirdly, we never make anything public, particularly in the best interests of the players involved. Making aspects such as transfer requests public is wholly disrespectful to a player.

“Our pragmatic player trading has been important in the way we have run the business of the Club and in getting us to the position where we have now been able to start work on a new stadium - the one thing that has the ability to take this Club to the next level of competitiveness. I make no apologies for being ambitious for our Club and looking to deliver future success for our fans.

“This season," underlined Mauricio, “we start with a combination of our own players who have come through the ranks and players that bring skills and experience from other leagues. Most importantly, it’s a squad of players with heart - it’s a squad I’m proud to field.”
    Bullcrap from both of them as far as I'm concerned.

tippspur wrote: »
    Bullcrap from both of them as far as I'm concerned.

the propaganda machine is in overdrive

to be honest if Poch is putting his name to this and towing the line he can go and shiet aswel. He's obviously afraid to rock the boat in the biggest job he's ever had, which is a pity

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

to be honest if Poch is putting his name to this and towing the line he can go and shiet aswel. He's obviously afraid to rock the boat in the biggest job he's ever had, which is a pity

Or maybe, just maybe he's speaking sense. He talks of how the game has changed and the traditional number 9 isn't as prominent anymore.

He obviously wants his frontline to be transitional and switch positions and probably feels Clinton and son and kane will do that.

We've a very young squad and maybe poch feels he can mould players the way he wants and is looking for players who fill this criteria.

Like he said, he doesn't want to add players just for the sake of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Off with their heads I say, ain't no justice like angry mob justice.

51v94NIVHc229RfZzhhw8ezV-YTzVgX_xxgReECy06eyemo3pZxjzjK2IB6RabE9eDWto0-sdLYJjMzsQQo64PgqX1ZA6vl8yWwxE1wnrwd-n-YAFJBq7z0SvyucpOKxLE3zTQHPi_C9-mduERKq=w211-h239-nc

Ormus wrote: »
    Off with their heads I say, ain't no justice like angry mob justice.

better still to sit on our hands whilst the hierarchy rub theirs together with their net profit gains, and continue to spew palatable B.S to the contently gullible 'fans'.

angry mob justice ? really ? Disappointment and hopelessness yes, but anger absolutely not.

The only anger on here is aimed at people that don't care much for the owners of our club.
    Differing opinions is what supporting a football club is all about - embrace them.
    Too many folks spend time commenting on individual posters rather than the subject in hand.

Anyway, thank God the window is closed so we can get back to football matters.
    Hopefully they will be a positive distraction from whats happening in the boardroom.

Peace and Love xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Dublin Spur you won't like the positive spin in this article - I like it though. :)

http://tottenhamhotspur.blogspot.ie/2015/09/alli-disappointment-to-some-of-our-fans.html
    The plastic brigade will not doubt be disappointed by the display of cheap purchase Dele Alli, given that he isn't a world famous household name on a massive wage.

Our designer label set, not happy with our buying cheap kids like the £5-million Dele Alli cost, would much rather see us spend £30-million on players who produce less. Manchester United paid £30-million for Luke Shaw, Tottenham paid £5-million for Dele Alli, who got the better deal?

It just goes to show how inflated the prices are for some players, is WBA striker Berahino five times the player Dele Alli is? I know who I'd rather have at the club. Then of course there is £4-million man Eric Dier who looks the equal of Victor Wanyama and other more expensive options we were looking at, but then not being a household name he should never have been purchased should he.

The policy, invisible it seems to some, is and was to target the highest quality young talent who are expected to grow into tomorrow's stars, we tried to buy Anthony Martial who Manchester United again paid a ridiculous fee for, he cost almost as much as Di Maria, an expensive flop, just the sort our cheque book boys would have salivated over.

With quality youth being bought and produced then players like Tom Carroll have to either raise their game or they'll be sold, I have serious doubts about him, his passes are too slow, he doesn't hit them crisply enough, if he is not careful a player like Harry Winks may overtake him. His was a promising introduction, still plenty to learn obviously and not ready yet, but cameos in games like these when the pressure is on with only one goal in it and you'll draw from them.

Has everything been right at Tottenham, no it hasn't, is everything right, no it isn't, but for me that is no reason to be anti-Spurs? Support of a club is about supporting through good and bad times, not following doing nothing but moan, what kind of 'support' is that, especially when you don't offer any improvement strategies of your own?

Football is an emotive passionate game and wearing a heart on a sleeve is all well and good, nothing wrong with that, but you have to also be able to step back and look at things in context. If you don't you'll never see the bigger picture, you'll have tunnel vision.

It is amazing that some choose not to see the club is being built, that a journey is underway, that a stadium and commercial deals are on the way to provide the money they crave, they remind me of Gollum and his 'precious.' The Tottenham journey is a ride to enjoy, happiness is what we want in life, why promote misery and jealousy.

With bad news people love to complain and moan so the news is full of it, I don't bother watching it anymore, it serves no purpose if one wants to be happy and enjoy life. Some enjoy being miserable of course, we have our faction of doom and gloom merchants just like every other club, oblivious to the fact their very attitude is promoting failure. They are part of the very problem they are complaining about. It's amusing to watch.

There is plenty of good in the world and plenty of good in Tottenham, we are walking towards a greater income and an ability to compete, the building work is being done on and off the field, quite why we have a faction wanting the club run along the lines of the Greek economy I don't know.

My Crystal Palace mates are confident we'll see a good game and are upbeat about their chances, that's the way to support your club. Thanks to the Europa League we are on TV again, all these Sunday games give us more opportunity and the fan on his sofa can enjoy watching his or her team more than most.

Bring on the next one, we want to see these youngsters again, full of hope, confidence, optimism, desire, all traits of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

@SkySportsLyall: #Tottenham had the highest net profit of any club in Europe in 2014 - £57m - according to #UEFA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

awesome, future is looking bright for the clubs structural stability, should help us become serious challengers. Onwards and upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

For all levys faults, he is no fool when it comes to running the club as a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Sure any fool can turn a profit if he spends less than he takes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

Sure any fool can turn a profit if he spends less than he takes in.

That's very funny!:rolleyes:

the balance sheet is lot healthier than the trophy cabinet.
    I know which of the above gets me more excited.

Bill Nick once said that the game was all about glory.
    Not anymore its not (at Spurs anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I for one am feeling very positive, we have a good young squad and a decent coach, a profitable club and a new stadium on the way. I think it's in everyone's best interests if we win trophies but you have to look at the long term. We have to run the club responsibly because we aren't Chelsea or Man City and we definitely don't want to become a Leeds Utd.

• Advertisement

we made more money than Barcelona - it's quite extraordinary

Maybe we should sing about this at matches in the same way other clubs sing about being champions.

The shareholder is doing well, which is Levy's main responsibility in his role within "E"nglish "N"ational "I"nvestment "C"ompany

Advertisement