Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Levy/Joe Lewis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

:pac:
    Ormus wrote: »
    It's like having rich parents. Ok you could sponge off them for the rest of your life if you wanted, but you're better off getting a job and paying your own way. I don't want Spurs to be spongers like City and Chelsea are, even if it means less trophies. At least if we do win something we'll have actually won it, and not been bought it by our sugar daddy.

Well I guess You're happy for spurs to me a mediocre club as long as they don't get any investment from generous owners - you sir are the perfect fan for ENIC's model of ownership.

I'd like to see owners who really care about glory and who have ambition to make Spurs great again - and that's definitely not a description of ENIC.

I hope you enjoyed our 14th season (13 of which have been fruitless) with this shower. I look forward to getting back to WHL when they finally fcuk off out of Spurs and move onto their next money making project.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well I guess You're happy for spurs to me a mediocre club as long as they don't get any investment from generous owners - you sir are the perfect fan for ENIC's model of ownership.

I'd like to see owners who really care about glory and who have ambition to make Spurs great again - and that's definitely not a description of ENIC.

I hope you enjoyed our 14th season (13 of which have been fruitless) with this shower. I look forward to getting back to WHL when they finally fcuk off out of Spurs and move onto their next money making project.
    Why would they?
    Spurs are the perfect business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I'm reasonably happy yeah. I would be more happy if we were challenging for the title, but not if that means some oil sheikh buying us trophies. That's not football and it's certainly not my idea of glory.

You want to see owners who really care and have ambition to make Spurs great again? It sounds like some kinda Disney movie. Do you really think that's realistic? Really?

Can you give me a few examples from real life of these benevolent billionaires? Abramovich? I suppose there was Dave Whelan at Wigan. You're sure that if ENIC would only budge that there would be a few of these guys waiting in the wings desperate to fulfill their lifelong dream of restoring Spurs to the way they were for a couple of seasons back in the 1960s?

kippy wrote: »
    Why would they?
    Spurs are the perfect business model.

Nothing last forever - Lewis might cash in his chips

I'm reasonably happy yeah. I would be more happy if we were challenging for the title, but not if that means some oil sheikh buying us trophies. That's not football and it's certainly not my idea of glory.

You want to see owners who really care and have ambition to make Spurs great again? It sounds like some kinda Disney movie. Do you really think that's realistic? Really?

Can you give me a few examples from real life of these benevolent billionaires? Abramovich? I suppose there was Dave Whelan at Wigan. You're sure that if ENIC would only budge that there would be a few of these guys waiting in the wings desperate to fulfill their lifelong dream of restoring Spurs to the way they were for a couple of seasons back in the 1960s?

Arsenals model has been successful - 20 years ago we were pretty equal
    We actually finished above them in 1995
    Since then they have won 3 titles and numerous cups
    They built a new stadium with little fuss
    There's no Suger daddy there, just a well run ambitious club
    They will probably retain the fa cup too

I would love owners to be like that, ENIC are an embarrassment in comparison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

I hope you enjoyed our 14th season (13 of which have been fruitless) with this shower. .

How does it compare with the previous 14? Pretty similar I would say.

Arsenals model has been successful - 20 years ago we were pretty equal
    We actually finished above them in 1995
    Since then they have won 3 titles and numerous cups
    They built a new stadium with little fuss
    There's no Suger daddy there, just a well run ambitious club
    They will probably retain the fa cup too

I would love owners to be like that, ENIC are an embarrassment in comparison

Absolutely. Despite being our rivals, Arsenal are a great model to follow. I have a lot of respect for how they've done it. And if you want to criticise ENIC for not making the club as well run as Arsenal, I think that's fair enough.

I don't think we're an embarrassment in comparison, ENIC have stabilised a club which was heading for bankruptcy, improved the facilities and youth structure, raised our average league position from bottom half to 5th or 6th in recent years, and now look set to deliver on a new stadium.

Arsenal's development has been exceptional. They had a stronger base to build on, with league titles in the 90s, but they've now moved well ahead of similar clubs such as Newcastle, Spurs, Villa, Everton, while Liverpool have stagnated from title challengers to Europa League regulars.

Ormus, in fairness we were financially rock solid when Sugar sold to ENIC in Feb 01
    The pressure was really on when Scholar sold to Sugar in 1991
    I think you're confusing the two

Ormus, in fairness we were financially rock solid when Sugar sold to ENIC in Feb 01
    The pressure was really on when Scholar sold to Sugar in 1991
    I think you're confusing the two

I'm not, I think Spurs were a mess under Sugar. An absolute joke of a club. The odd good or entertaining player, but no direction, no transfer policy, no youth system, no clue of how to market itself.

I think you've changed your tune. You're always on about loosening the purse strings etc, a la City or Chelsea, but now you're saying the Arsenal model is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

From September, but Joe Lewis wants 1 Billion for spurs. :eek:

• Advertisement

ENIC did not save spurs from bankruptcy, that's a fact

You said they did

We were financially sound when sugar sold up

I'm not, I think Spurs were a mess under Sugar. An absolute joke of a club. The odd good or entertaining player, but no direction, no transfer policy, no youth system, no clue of how to market itself.

I think you've changed your tune. You're always on about loosening the purse strings etc, a la City or Chelsea, but now you're saying the Arsenal model is the way to go.

I'll take any model that results in success for my club. the ENIC model will not do this. The plast 14 years has thought us that.

The arsenal example just shows that you don't always need a massive individual investor. It can be done with owners that make football glory their 1st priority.

ENIC did not save spurs from bankruptcy, that's a fact

You said they did

We were financially sound when sugar sold up

I didn't

ENIC have stabilised a club which was heading for bankruptcy

Sorry mate, you did, see above

sugar saved us from the sh*t in 1991 and sold to ENIC in 01 with the club on rock solid financial grounds.

Sorry mate, you did, see above

sugar saved us from the sh*t in 1991 and sold to ENIC in 01 with the club on rock solid financial grounds.

I'm not gonna explain to you the difference between bankrupt and heading for bankruptcy. You twisted my words and you know it. Sneaky. And extremely rich from a guy who never lets facts get in the way of a good moan.

The club was a shambles in 2001 in my opinion. Might not have been in as immediate financial trouble as under Scholar, but it was in disrepair and was headed for disaster.

It's hilarious that you romanticise Sugar so much, we were so much worse both on and off the pitch in the 90s than since. It's bizarre that you don't see it.

Where did I romanticise Sugar ?

All I said was that the club was financially stable when he sold up

I didnt enjoy the majority of his tenure. The Klinsmann season and the 99 cup wins were good., but that's about it.

Where did I romanticise Sugar ?

All I said was that the club was financially stable when he sold up

I didnt enjoy the majority of his tenure. The Klinsmann season and the 99 cup wins were good., but that's about it.

Ok. I'll assume you didn't enjoy Scholar's reign.

So have you ever actually enjoyed supporting following Spurs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

I'll take any model that results in success for my club. the ENIC model will not do this. The plast 14 years has thought us that.

The arsenal example just shows that you don't always need a massive individual investor. It can be done with owners that make football glory their 1st priority.

I think most Arsenal fans would be surprised by this statement. They're always complaining that their Board is more concerned with the Balance Sheet than with winning trophies!

Well they should be a lot happier than Spurs fans

They've won a ****load in the past 20 years compared to us

I would love Spurs to have their 'problems'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Under ENIC I totally agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

This thread has never and will never change no matter how good or bad the owners do.

I've ignored one person but now time to unfollow this broken record...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

Well they should be a lot happier than Spurs fans

They've won a ****load in the past 20 years compared to us

I would love Spurs to have their 'problems'

I have no doubt that you would still be complaining as vociferously as ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭yiddo59

It's like having rich parents. Ok you could sponge off them for the rest of your life if you wanted, but you're better off getting a job and paying your own way. I don't want Spurs to be spongers like City and Chelsea are, even if it means less trophies. At least if we do win something we'll have actually won it, and not been bought it by our sugar daddy.

How are City and Chelsea spongers? Surely all that happened was their billionaire owners chose to go down a different route from Spurs billionaire owner?

PS If the players showed as much passion on the pitch as yourself and Dublin Spur do in this thread we'd be winning the CL not to mind just qualifying for it :D

yiddo59 wrote: »
    How are City and Chelsea spongers? Surely all that happened was their billionaire owners chose to go down a different route from Spurs billionaire owner?

PS If the players showed as much passion on the pitch as yourself and Dublin Spur do in this thread we'd be winning the CL not to mind just qualifying for it :D

Yep, their billionaire owner chose to buy trophies for them with money instead of trying to operate as a normal club raising revenue from tickets, commercial activities etc. I'm not blaming City or Chelsea supporters by the way. They didn't have any choice in the matter. But for me it's not football, it's closer to a game of monopoly. Just a personal opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

We (Liverpool) have FSG as our owners. They are cheap skates on wages, and when we spend money we buy other muck.

Martin567 wrote: »
    I have no doubt that you would still be complaining as vociferously as ever!

Absolutely not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Yep, their billionaire owner chose to buy trophies for them with money instead of trying to operate as a normal club raising revenue from tickets, commercial activities etc. I'm not blaming City or Chelsea supporters by the way. They didn't have any choice in the matter. But for me it's not football, it's closer to a game of monopoly. Just a personal opinion.

I'd swap Lewis/Levy for either of those owners in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

We (Liverpool) have FSG as our owners. They are cheap skates on wages, and when we spend money we buy other muck.

Liverpool pay, and have paid, much better wages then spurs have or will.

• Advertisement

The city and Chelsea owners want the best for the club's they bought and are prepared to walk the walk as apposed to talk the talk

How is that a bad thing ?

Would love to see the likes of Agureo, hazard etc at Spurs

Advertisement