Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would anyone want to really go to heaven?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Hopefully you'll agree that process isn't relevant to establishing the existance of God - indeed, to say 'we establish God exists' is an impossibility when it comes to God.

I use the terminology 'if God exists' not as a part of the argument but as a scene setting to indicate how the argument is framed. "If God turns up in Croke Park" unleashes the conclusion above regarding irrelevancy of process to someone who accepts that his so turning up would be an acceptable proof of his existance.

That scene setting is for your benefit - so that you can appreciate the argument. There is no 'if' in my mind - God might as well have turned up in front of 80,000 spectators as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully you'll appreciate the validity of my position now - even if you aren't convinced of Gods existance yourself. That will come at some point too - hopefully.

Right, so establishing that god exists is an impossibility. For me, for you, for everyone. The question of whether or not god exists will remain forever unanswered because of this. For me, for you, for everyone. I'm glad we've cleared that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Patrickof wrote: »
    If the chances of something existing cannot be calculated, then that is all we can say about those odds. It doesn't automatically become 50/50.

No. But in the face of saying nothing at all (which I'm equally happy with) or putting some figure on it 50/50 is all that can be said.

There is a lotto draw tonight. If I buy a ticket, I will either win the jackpot or I won't. Are you claiming that my odds would be 50/50?

No. There is information there that permits odds calculation other than 50/50. Not so with God

Whaaat??

God can only demonstrate himself empirically if he exists.

God can only show up in Croke park if he exists.

Both of those scenarios can only be accepted to be reasonable "if god exists". I want to know about the scenario that does not begin with "if god exists", i.e how we establish "if god exists", which you have just told me is an impossibility.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Right, so establishing that god exists is an impossibility.

I was under the impression that apart from solipsist considerations such as God in Croke Park actually being an alien in disguise, you'd accept that God could demonstrate himself empirically.

Are you now saying that he couldn't do this?

For me, for you, for everyone. The question of whether or not god exists will remain forever unknown because of this. For me, for you, for everyone. I'm glad we've cleared that up.

Am I detecting a desire to exit?

I was under the impression that apart from solipsist considerations such as God in Croke Park actually being an alien in disguise, you'd accept that God could demonstrate himself empirically.

Are you now saying that he couldn't do this?
    He can do this only if he exists. I asked about the scenario that does not begin with this assumption
    Am I detecting a desire to exit?
    Nope, you've just acknowledged that it's impossible to ever know whether god exists or not. No desire to exit here

• Advertisement

God can only demonstrate himself empirically if he exists. God can only show up in Croke park if he exists. Both of those scenarios can only be accepted to be reasonable "if god exists".

And the 'if he exists' is a scene setter, a logic statement. We can examine the various consequences of logic without worrying about whether it's true in fact or not.

I want to know about the scenario that does not begin with "if god exists", i.e how we establish "if god exists", which you have just told me is an impossibility.

I'm not sure what you mean Sam. The logical conclusion from the argument is that we cannot establish God exists (in the sense of independently applying a process to the question). Which doesn't mean we can't know that God exists - it only takes God to move.

He can do this only if he exists. I asked about the scenario that does not begin with this assumption

See above. If he does then such and such are the consequences. Chief of which in this discussion is that process is irrelevant.

Nope, you've just acknowledged that it's impossible to ever know whether god exists or not. No desire to exit here

See above. Impossible to independently establish.

And the 'if he exists' is a scene setter, a logic statement. We can examine the various consequences of logic without worrying about whether it's true in fact or not.

I'm not sure what you mean Sam. The logical conclusion from the argument is that we cannot establish God exists (in the sense of independently applying a process to the question). Which doesn't mean we can't know that God exists - it only takes God to move.
    god can only move if he exists. That is what you do in this forum over and over. You begin with the assumption that god exists and then spend days and days examining the various consequences of logic without worrying about whether it's true in fact or not, which is the only thing that the people you are talking to are concerned with

I am asking you what happens to your logic if it does not begin with "if god exists", if we do worry about whether it's true in fact or not. And I am asking because the whole thing falls apart. It's nothing but a baseless assumption that god exists and some logic built on this baseless assumption.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

antiskeptic - a serious question here.

Do you actually believe that what you're writing is logical?

god can only move if he exists. That is what you do in this forum over and over. You begin with the assumption that god exists and then spend days and days examining the various consequences of logic without worrying about whether it's true in fact or not, which is the only thing that the people you are talking to are concerned with

I'm happy enough to leave you with the logical conclusions that arise 'if he exists'. The truths arise from that logic (eg: that process is irrelevant) are sufficient to still the claim that personal revelation isn't as valid a means as empiricism in the case that God would reveal himself

I am asking you what happens to your logic if it does not begin with "if god exists", if we do worry about whether it's true in fact or not. And I am asking because the whole thing falls apart. It's nothing but a baseless assumption that god exists and some logic built on this baseless assumption.

Again you misconstrue the place of 'if God exists'. That is there for your benefit (so that you can examine the logic) not mine. When you suggest I consider "If God doesn't exist" you might as well suggest I consider "If this reality isn't real". Next stop solipsism. Which is useless.

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    antiskeptic - a serious question here.

Do you actually believe that what you're writing is logical?

Of course. If you've an issue with a point of it then by all means. I've no problem if there's a hole in it.

(turns out my wife has that book "The man who mistook his wife for a hat". I'm off on holidays soon so will try to have a read of it then. Apparently it's quite enjoyable!)

If you've an issue with a point of it then by all means. I've no problem if there's a hole in it.
    No offense here, but there are so many holes in your logic that as I said a week or two back in relation to something else, I'm at a loss to know where to start pointing them out. Though that's not stopped some of the forum's more durable contributors from having a go -- good on 'em!
    (turns out my wife has that book "The man who mistook his wife for a hat". I'm off on holidays soon so will try to have a read of it then. Apparently it's quite enjoyable!)
    Yes, I hope you do. It's enjoyable not only for the interesting stories, each well-turned, but many are rather touching too. If nothing else, it should certainly help you to develop a more evidence-based understanding of the link between mind and body -- and from the typewriter of a man who's spent a lifetime at the coalface, rather than some distracted theologian, sitting in his hermitage, grinding a few of his political axes :)

I'm happy enough to leave you with the logical conclusions that arise 'if he exists'. The truths arise from that logic (eg: that process is irrelevant) are sufficient to still the claim that personal revelation isn't as valid a means as empiricism in the case that God would reveal himself

Again you misconstrue the place of 'if God exists'. That is there for your benefit (so that you can examine the logic) not mine. When you suggest I consider "If God doesn't exist" you might as well suggest I consider "If this reality isn't real". Next stop solipsism. Which is useless.

Sigh. It seems all of the people who have attempted to get through to you all of those times have really been wasting their time. The only thing that is useless here is logic for how we can know god exists and that personal experience is a reliable way of experiencing him that is being given to people who do not believe that god exists but that that does not consider in any way the possibility that god does not exist.

What you are doing is a long winded way of saying "god exists because he exists". And that is truly useless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'd like to hear antiskeptic's thoughts on evolution and why he 'doesn't not subscribe to that particular theory'.

I'd like to hear antiskeptic's thoughts on evolution and why he 'doesn't not subscribe to that particular theory'.

It's probably not the place to get into it but my position hinges on a couple of points.

1) Accepting the scientific solution to a small puzzle (how life is the way it is) means throwing a spanner in the works of a larger puzzle (the biblical story of God's dealing with and plans for mankind. In short, the larger puzzle works better without evolution and since evolution is but a small spanner, it can be part-dispensed with.

2) God says he provides a delusion (I know, I know :)) to blind those who are perishing because they refuse to love the truth. I take this to mean that God provides an emotionally and intellectually (if not spiritually) satisfying resting place for those who would maintain their desire to reject God. Unbelievers aren't to be left in a vacuum in other words - it would interfere unduly with their maintaining unbelief. Since science (especially when it comes to evolution) is used as a core plank in the rejection of God one has extra reason to distrust.

I know it's a simple analogy but have you ever seen that optical illusion (delusion) involving the old hag/young woman? The exact same information can be interpreted in two completely different ways.

http://www.moillusions.com/2006/05/young-lady-or-old-hag.html

Now imagine that someone figured the picture was an old hag. All their tests and theories harmonize to drumbeat that same message - for all the information supports that conclusion. But what about the other interpretation. A completely different one is possible. The spanner called evolution can now be fully dispensed with.

1) Accepting the scientific solution to a small puzzle (how life is the way it is) means throwing a spanner in the works of a larger puzzle (the biblical story of God's dealing with and plans for mankind. In short, the larger puzzle works better without evolution and since evolution is but a small spanner, it can be part-dispensed with.

So basically you're going to ignore the facts to suit your religious beliefs?
    2) God says he provides a delusion (I know, I know :)) to blind those who are perishing because they refuse to love the truth. I take this to mean that God provides an emotionally and intellectually (if not spiritually) satisfying resting place for those who would maintain their desire to reject God. Unbelievers aren't to be left in a vacuum in other words - it would interfere unduly with their maintaining unbelief. Since science (especially when it comes to evolution) is used as a core plank in the rejection of God one has extra reason to distrust.

So presumably you are dubious of all scientific theories? The theory of Gravity for instance?
    I know it's a simple analogy but have you ever seen that optical illusion (delusion) involving the old hag/young woman? The exact same information can be interpreted in two completely different ways.

http://www.moillusions.com/2006/05/young-lady-or-old-hag.html

Now imagine that someone figured the picture was an old hag. All their tests and theories harmonize to drumbeat that same message - for all the information supports that conclusion. But what about the other interpretation. A completely different one is possible. The spanner called evolution can now be fully dispensed with.

If you don't believe in evolution then where do you think we came from? Adam & Eve? And if so, do you believe the earth to be less than 10,000 years old?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I am this close to posting personal abuse. I feel sorry for you antiskeptic. Your mind is closed to the wonders of the scientific enlightenment because reality doesn't agree with your book.

Sigh ... The only thing that is useless here is logic for how we can know god exists and that personal experience is a reliable way of experiencing him..

Logic is very useful here. It may help to break the above into two sections.

In order to know God exists two things must be true

1) God must exist

2) You would need to interact with God in some way that produces knowledge of his existance in you.

One (presumably) acceptable way in which that interaction might take place is God turning up in Croke Park and jumping through various hoops for you. After him doing so, you (and presumably many others) would know God exists. Agreed?

How reliable would the above knowledge be to you.

From the point made a few times already - as reliable as God has decided to make empirical experience for you. If you consider it very reliable it's because he has made it so for you.

And he can do the same with personal experience.

It's up to him - is the point - not us.

I feel that is being given to people who do not believe that god exists but that that does not consider in any way the possibility that god does not exist.

Not everything is a two way street. I have encountered God in the way described, a way which transcends the notion that there is somethin I can do to arrive at God (when it is he who arrives at me). Once having done so, God becomes as real as any other part of reality. And since I cannot use reality to check whether reality is real, I'm left with the conclusion..

"god exists because he exists"

And that is truly useless

That's a different matter (and I would disagree given that reality is anything but useless). The issue here is to compare God turning up empirically with God turning up by personal revelation. And finding that the one is as reliable as the other.

mikhail wrote: »
    I am this close to posting personal abuse. I feel sorry for you antiskeptic. Your mind is closed to the wonders of the scientific enlightenment because reality doesn't agree with your book.

You would appreciate that I feel the same way about you - although I'd switch the objects under discussion (and don't feel the need to be abusive)

So basically you're going to ignore the facts to suit your religious beliefs?

I thought science did tentitive?

So presumably you are dubious of all scientific theories? The theory of Gravity for instance?

Not at all. It's the fact that ToE is used to support disbelief that raises my suspicions. It seems to dovetail neatly into the biblical 'theory'

If you don't believe in evolution then where do you think we came from? Adam & Eve? And if so, do you believe the earth to be less than 10,000 years old?

You didn't say what you thought of the way in which the same information can be interpreted in two completely different ways?

Adam and Eve I reckon were real people and the first people. I've no opinion on how old the earth is.

• Advertisement

I thought science did tentitive?

Not at all. It's the fact that ToE is used to support disbelief that raises my suspicions. It seems to dovetail neatly into the biblical 'theory'

You didn't say what you thought of the way in which the same information can be interpreted in two completely different ways?

Adam and Eve I reckon were real people and the first people. I've no opinion on how old the earth is.
    Evolution is only used to support disbelief when debating creationists, most religions that I'm aware of accept evolution, including your own probably.

If the evidence for evolution can be interpreted in two completely different ways then I'm afraid I don't know what the 2nd way is, can you expand on that?

If you believe Adam & Eve to be the first people then presumably that's because God made them, along with heavens and the earth and all the animals in 6 days. How can you believe this but have no comment on the age of the earth? Surely it could only be a few thousand years old if that were the case?

Evolution is only used to support disbelief when debating creationists,

I'd be supposing that atheist unbelief is supported by evolution when far from a creationist.

most religions that I'm aware of accept evolution, including your own probably.

My 'religion' has some folk who believe in evolution and some who don't. There isn't a authority who declares for me nor for most.

If the evidence for evolution can be interpreted in two completely different ways then I'm afraid I don't know what the 2nd way is, can you expand on that?

There is no need. The fact that the potential exists is sufficient to remove the remaining leg on which evolution is supposed to stand (for me). As I say, my disbelief in it involves a number of elements which permit me to conclude as I do.

If you believe Adam & Eve to be the first people then presumably that's because God made them, along with heavens and the earth and all the animals in 6 days. How can you believe this but have no comment on the age of the earth? Surely it could only be a few thousand years old if that were the case?

As far as I'm aware, the common creationist 6000 yr estimated age of the earth is gleaned from a flawed totting up via the geneological line. There doesn't appear to be an accurate way to arrive at a figure from the Bible.

Logic is very useful here. It may help to break the above into two sections.

In order to know God exists two things must be true

1) God must exist

2) You would need to interact with God in some way that produces knowledge of his existance in you.

One (presumably) acceptable way in which that interaction might take place is God turning up in Croke Park and jumping through various hoops for you. After him doing so, you (and presumably many others) would know God exists. Agreed?

How reliable would the above knowledge be to you.

From the point made a few times already - as reliable as God has decided to make empirical experience for you. If you consider it very reliable it's because he has made it so for you.

And he can do the same with personal experience.

It's up to him - is the point - not us.

Not everything is a two way street. I have encountered God in the way described, a way which transcends the notion that there is somethin I can do to arrive at God (when it is he who arrives at me). Once having done so, God becomes as real as any other part of reality. And since I cannot use reality to check whether reality is real, I'm left with the conclusion..

That's a different matter (and I would disagree given that reality is anything but useless). The issue here is to compare God turning up empirically with God turning up by personal revelation. And finding that the one is as reliable as the other.

I'm going to apply your logic to political ideology to show why it is flawed.

Me: How you know that a particular communist policy is the best one to apply in a given situation?

You: If Karl Marx was right then communism is the best ideology and therefore it is the best one to apply in this situation

Me: What if Karl Marx wasn't right?

You: You misconstrue the place of 'if Karl Marx was right'. That is there for your benefit (so that you can examine the logic) not mine. When you suggest I consider "If Karl Marx wasn't right" you might as well suggest I consider "If this reality isn't real". Next stop solipsism. Which is useless.

This reasoning is useless to anyone who does not already accept that Karl Marx was right (in which case there would be no debate because we would already agree) just as your reasoning is useless to anyone who does not already believe in god. You cannot convince someone to believe in god by telling them that they should join you in simply ignoring the possibility that he doesn't

I'd be supposing that atheist unbelief is supported by evolution when far from a creationist.

Disbelief doesn't need support from evolution when far away from a creationist because which ever theist you're debating with probably accepts evolution as fact, because if they didn't, well they'd more than likely be a creationist.
    There is no need. The fact that the potential exists is sufficient to remove the remaining leg on which evolution is supposed to stand (for me). As I say, my disbelief in it involves a number of elements which permit me to conclude as I do.

What potential? What else does the evidence for evolution point to?
    As far as I'm aware, the common creationist 6000 yr estimated age of the earth is gleaned from a flawed totting up via the geneological line. There doesn't appear to be an accurate way to arrive at a figure from the Bible.

So what about actual evidence? Proof of civilization doesn't stretch back all that far, we're only talking thousands of years. Do you believe God created the Earth as stated in Genesis? As in, you believe Adam & Eve were created at the same time?

There doesn't appear to be an accurate way to arrive at a figure from the Bible.
    A small step in the right direction.

Don't stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭RepublicanEagle

Max Power1 wrote: »
    We didnt exist!

Which is why I have no problem accepting my return to said state of decaying nothingness after my time ends.

Does the 1st Law of Thermodynamics ring a bell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Does the 1st Law of Thermodynamics ring a bell?

Who had 1:40am in the pool?

I'm going to apply your logic to political ideology to show why it is flawed.

Me: How you know that a particular communist policy is the best one to apply in a given situation?

You: If Karl Marx was right then communism is the best ideology and therefore it is the best one to apply in this situation

Me: What if Karl Marx wasn't right?

You: You misconstrue the place of 'if Karl Marx was right'. That is there for your benefit (so that you can examine the logic) not mine. When you suggest I consider "If Karl Marx wasn't right" you might as well suggest I consider "If this reality isn't real". Next stop solipsism. Which is useless.

This reasoning is useless to anyone who does not already accept that Karl Marx was right (in which case there would be no debate because we would already agree) just as your reasoning is useless to anyone who does not already believe in god. You cannot convince someone to believe in god by telling them that they should join you in simply ignoring the possibility that he doesn't

If only I was trying to prove God exists or convince someone to believe in God. I'm not trying to do that in this argument. I'm only interested in the consequences for someone like you, someone who would say that they won't/can't believe in God until they get clear empirical evidence for his existance.

You've decided to introduce the question of what happens if God doesn't exist without actually facing fully, the dilemma for you if he does. If your willing to complete the former task, I'm quite willing to face the latter. My mistake for attemping a swift answer. My mistake for being diverted.

Assuming you agree with this then perhaps we could recap. If you disagree at any stage stop me at that point.

1) According to previous argument we have seen that if God exists, then the process whereby he reveals himself to us is irrelevant to our knowing he exists. His demonstrating himself empirically is as valid as his demonstrating himself directly and personally, in other words. The one process is to be trusted as much as the other.

2) Are you interested in finding out that God exists - if he where to exisit. I'll assume a 'yes' answer for now :)

3) Would you now (in light of 1) above) be equally happy with God demonstrating his existance to you empirically or directly personally - in the case that he did exist and planned to demonstrate himself to you? In other words, would you now expect personal revelation to provide as much certainty as empirical revelation - in the case that God did exist and planned to demonstrate himself to you?

4) If the answer to 3) is 'Yes' then we have concluded our task and can now look at what happens if God doesn't exist, if you like.

If only I was trying to prove God exists or convince someone to believe in God. I'm not trying to do that in this argument. I'm only interested in the consequences for someone like you, someone who would say that they won't/can't believe in God until they get clear empirical evidence for his existance.

You've decided to introduce the question of what happens if God doesn't exist without actually facing fully, the dilemma for you if he does. If your willing to complete the former task, I'm quite willing to face the latter. My mistake for attemping a swift answer. My mistake for being diverted.

Assuming you agree with this then perhaps we could recap. If you disagree at any stage stop me at that point.

1) According to previous argument we have seen that if God exists, then the process whereby he reveals himself to us is irrelevant to our knowing he exists. His demonstrating himself empirically is as valid as his demonstrating himself directly and personally, in other words. The one process is to be trusted as much as the other.

2) Are you interested in finding out that God exists - if he where to exisit. I'll assume a 'yes' answer for now :)

3) Would you now (in light of 1) above) be equally happy with God demonstrating his existance to you empirically or directly personally - in the case that he did exist and planned to demonstrate himself to you? In other words, would you now expect personal revelation to provide as much certainty as empirical revelation - in the case that God did exist and planned to demonstrate himself to you?

4) If the answer to 3) is 'Yes' then we have concluded our task and can now look at what happens if God doesn't exist, if you like.

The answer to 3) is yes if god exists. Any argument that depends on the statement if god exists is wasted on anyone who does not already think they know if god exists. The question of if god exists must be answered before this reasoning can be applied, this reasoning cannot be used to answer the question of if god exists nor can we ignore the question of if god exists and simply assume he does. How are you not getting this?

I'll try it one more way. Let's say I have a decision to make and I have two choices. I can either make the decision with a coin toss or I can study it for months and work out the best choice. A coin toss has a 50/50 chance of picking the best solution. I could just toss the coin and go with it but I can never be sure if this solution was the best one. If I do the months of work I have a 50/50 chance of coming up with the same answer as the coin toss and after doing all that work I could say that it was a waste of time because I ended up with the same answer I got from the coin toss. The point you're missing is that I can't say that the work was unnecessary until after I've done the work. I have to do the work before I can say I didn't have to do the work because, although I might end up with the correct answer with the coin toss, I don't know that it is the correct answer until I've done the work.

Basically, god must demonstrate himself empirically before we can say that he didn't have to demonstrate himself empirically because the reasoning for why he doesn't have to demonstrate himself empirically only applies once he has demonstrated himself empirically. So we still wait for empirical evidence of god despite the protests of people telling us we don't have to because they had a hallucination that they thought was god

• Advertisement

The answer to 3) is yes if god exists. Any argument that depends on the statement if god exists is wasted on anyone who does not already think they know if god exists.

Thanks.

I wouldn't say 'any' argument, but I would certainly say 'some' arguments are wasted. Let's have a look at an argument I don't think is wasted in light of the above affirmative.

1) You are an atheist who now accepts that a knowledge of God's existance wouldn't be dependent on process. It would only be dependent on God revealing himself.

2) I arrive and I say I know God exists.

3) You cannot raise an objection to my claim by attacking an otherwise suspect process called 'personal revelation' since process wouldn't be relevant to God revealing himself. You'd be barking up the wrong tree, in other words.

Is this alright so far?

Advertisement