Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would anyone want to really go to heaven?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

So what you are saying is God is not omnipotent/perfect

I'm saying that the word "omnipotence" isn't taken to mean that God can do just anything at all. His not being able to create an object too heavy for him to life doesn't alter his being omnipotent in other words. His not being able to create a square circle similarily doesn't impinge on his omnipotence.

No, it sounds to me like an entity with a massive ego, "look what I can create, and if you don't do good, you're gonna go to hell"

Theology 101

Your already on the path to Hell - no if's about it.

The Biblical God also represents darkness, evil and selfishness, all one need do is to read through the Old Testament, the Book of Exodus in particular.

You confuse the just punishing of sin with darkness. Don't you think it right that evil is punished?

It is called being human when we sin, it's got nothing to do with some entity called Satan, and therein lies the core of our disagreement.

Can I take it you'll have no problem with "It was my human nature" not standing up God's court should it transpire that he does actually exist. So long as you're prepared to take the consequences of your position I see no reason for disagreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

You seem to be saying that God cannot reveal himself to his creation. Which raises you to a position above God - telling us what it is he may or may not do if he exists.

I'll respect any unbeliever who desists from making what can only be blind faith based statements like that. An unbeliever shouldn't be relying on blind faith for their position -
    otherwise they are a believer (of the wobbliest kind).
    :)

I don't want your respect, as you claim to have met god and or are certain of it's existence, yet semantics is all you have to offer. No enlightening knowledge, or are you greedily keeping the celestial almanac to yourself to outwit us heretics. When you distance yourself from the millions of others who claim to have met god without offering any proof then I will hear your proof and want your respect. I must be easy for you to have knowledge that I do not, one single shred of information and I'll instantly place your character as distinct from those who claim to
    have spoken to their dead relatives.

You said I base my assertions on blind faith. I do not. I assert what is truth based on evidence, honest peer reviewed data and what is experienced by every person on this planet. For me to claim that fairies or god exists, requires me to be dishonest, incredulous and to claim to know something I cannot know.

So far the Hubble telescope has told me more about the universe than god ever has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Not a chance. Want to be with my dog!

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Even god cannot do what is logically impossible, e.g. he cannot create a married bachelor, he cannot create a square with no sides etc etc etc. Even an omnipotent being is constrained by what is logically possible.

Agreed.

In a universe where there are millions false positive experiences and no way to compare experiences to each other, there is no way to separate the false positives from the true positives. It is logically impossible for god to reveal himself through an entirely internal personal experience in such a way that it is possible to tell a true experience from a false one. He cannot do it any more than he can create a square circle. And if you require that he must be able to do it, this means that this god does not exist. He is a logical impossibility.

You don't seem to be appreciating the argument. So let me ask a question:

Which of the following two ways is the more valid way of personally determining the truth of God's existance (God's existance I mean - not the truth of anything else).

1) God actually reveals himself to a person personally

2) God actually turns up in Croke Park on front of 80,000 people and performs a sufficient number of miracle to convince all there gathered that he indeed exists)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Agreed.

You don't seem to be appreciating the argument. So let me ask a question:

Which of the following two ways is the more valid way of personally determining the truth of God's existance (God's existance I mean - not the truth of anything else).

1) God actually reveals himself to a person personally

2) God actually turns up in Croke Park on front of 80,000 people and performs a sufficient number of miracle to convince all there gathered that he indeed exists)

Oh I appreciate the argument, you make it every few days so I know it inside and out.

Number 2 is the more valid way because it allows people to compare their experiences. If they are consistent that increases the likelihood of them being accurate. And number 2 would still not be sufficient to determine it absolutely or to determine anything about the nature of this being, e.g. it could be a very powerful alien.

Number 1 could be accurate if god revealed himself personally to millions of different people and if the experiences of all of these people were exactly the same. This again would show consistency across experiences and the situation would be that either they are all right or they are all wrong, rather than the current situation where even if one is right, the vast majority are still wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

I'm saying that the word "omnipotence" isn't taken to mean that God can do just anything at all. His not being able to create an object too heavy for him to life doesn't alter his being omnipotent in other words. His not being able to create a square circle similarily doesn't impinge on his omnipotence.
    No one asked God to create a square circle it is superfluous to the argument, however, preventing the creation of the entity, Satan, is not, I mean god wants all humans to be good, yet he could not even mange this in his own shagging kingdom.
    Theology 101

Your already on the path to Hell - no if's about it.
    I actually had a small bit of respect for you, before you said this, and yes you are right, it is Theology 101, i.e. "if you don't believe in god you are going to hell", typical christian hokum that is taught to children and unfortunately most remain children by simply believing in it in the latter part of their lives.
    You confuse the just punishing of sin with darkness. Don't you think it right that evil is punished?
    So the massacre of innocent children by god is its way of punishing evil? Yes Theology 101 gone crazy yet again.
    Can I take it you'll have no problem with "It was my human nature" not standing up God's court should it transpire that he does actually exist. So long as you're prepared to take the consequences of your position I see no reason for disagreement.
    1- In the extremely unlikely event of god existing and I meet it when I die, I won't have to say anything, why? Because god is all knowing and should know what I am thinking, therefore I won't have to talk

2- If I HAD to say something it would be "why did you go to such an effort to hide yourself"

3- In the unlikely event of god existing, it would not really be in a position to scold us for our behaviour.

Number 2 is the more valid way because it allows people to compare their experiences. If they are consistent that increases the likelihood of them being accurate. And number 2 would still not be sufficient to determine it absolutely or to determine anything about the nature of this being, e.g. it could be a very powerful alien.

Thanks for your answer. I take it we can leave aside the God-in-Croke-Park-is-actually-an-Alien issue on the grounds of solipsism?

We can agree that if God exists then the truth-bearing aspect of the process you describe above is one that has been designed to be so by God. Thus our confidence that God is present in Croke Park couldn'tbe placed in that process anymore - it would have to be redirected to be placed in the God who designed the process to be truth-bearing.

Which is an important switch. We'd be now relying on God and not a process for our truth.

And because we are now dependent on God for our truth, we can't point to this process or that process to be better for truth bearing. God would be the one to assign confidence to a process - not us. All of which permits the potential for personal revelation by God to be a better truth-giver than the process you describe above.

Number 1 could be accurate if god revealed himself personally to millions of different people and if the experiences of all of these people were exactly the same. This again would show consistency across experiences and the situation would be that either they are all right or they are all wrong, rather than the current situation where even if one is right, the vast majority are still wrong.

1) The fact that millions of people can be wrong has absolutely no bearing on God being able to reveal himself by personal revelation

2) 100 different people viewing the same car crash can be expected to produce a variety of descriptions. Assuming for a moment that the Christian God is the true God, the fact that there are so many shades of view is to be expected.

No one asked God to create a square circle it is superfluous to the argument, however, preventing the creation of the entity, Satan, is not, I mean god wants all humans to be good, yet he could not even mange this in his own shagging kingdom.

There are tiers of want to be considerd. God wanting all humans to be good is a tier below God wanting all humans to have free choice. God can want something without being able to achieve it given a higher tier want. And this without impinging negatively on his omnipotence.

I actually had a small bit of respect for you, before you said this, and yes you are right, it is Theology 101, i.e. "if you don't believe in god you are going to hell", typical christian hokum that is taught to children and unfortunately most remain children by simply believing in it in the latter part of their lives.

I mean no offence. It's just that you presented a common misconception of the Christian message that needed pointing out in order to discuss. It's not you'll go to Hell if you're not good (similar to Santa's "naughty or nice"). It's not even "if you don't believe you'll go to Hell" ( in the sense that you can magik yourself into believing in something you haven't the evidence for)

So the massacre of innocent children by god is its way of punishing evil? Yes Theology 101 gone crazy yet again.

And if all those children are in heaven without having to go through the process of life whereby they might be lost?

(Dunno if that's the case - but supposing?)

1- In the extremely unlikely event of god existing and I meet it when I die, I won't have to say anything, why? Because god is all knowing and should know what I am thinking, therefore I won't have to talk

It need not be for God's benefit that you talk. It might be for the benefit of an audience.

2- If I HAD to say something it would be "why did you go to such an effort to hide yourself"

Assuming he exists, he could correctly answer that it permitted you to decide what to do with the knowledge of good and evil that he gave you. Without him overtly around, you would have the opportunity to deny that you do objective evil, writing it off instead to "human nature" - something you aren't responsible for.

Only if he exists is this true of course. So it's only something you have to worry about if you find yourself before him. For if he does exist and he has given you adequate knowledge of good and evil then you are responsible and your excuses are just that.

3- In the unlikely event of god existing, it would not really be in a position to scold us for our behaviour.

I'm not sure that scolding is what he has in mind. Since God is lawgiver and we are his subjects (whether we like that or not) I don't see how you can legally escape punishment. You certainly haven't a court to be dragging him along to.

Or do you suppose to have one?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

100 different people viewing the same car crash can be expected to produce a variety of descriptions. Assuming for a moment that the Christian God is the true God, the fact that there are so many shades of view is to be expected.
    For a car crash that lasts a few seconds, yes that's quite true. But it doesn't really apply if people spend hundreds of hours every year -- thousands over a lifetime -- developing a "relationship" with this deity. In which case, one would have thought that a very consistent picture would emerge.

But as we know, that's not what happens. There is a very good reason, even a very obvious reason, why each person's deity is surprisingly indistinguishable from each person's view of what the deity should be:

126196.jpg

robindch wrote: »
    For a car crash that lasts a few seconds, yes that's quite true. But it doesn't really apply if people spend hundreds of hours every year -- thousands over a lifetime -- developing a "relationship" with this deity. In which case, one would have thought that a very consistent picture would emerge.

And if the car cresh was viewed through vision equipment that required some practice and experience in order to gain a clearer image wouldn't that also add to the complexity of conclusions you might draw?

But as we know, that's not what happens. There is a very good reason, even a very obvious reason, why each person's deity is surprisingly indistinguishable from each person's view of what the deity should be

Hmm. I would have thought there is a remarkable amount of agreement on the nature of God amongst Christians. Yes, we divide on doctrinal issues all over the place (and that tends to be what gets discussed) but that doesn't mean we disagree on essentials.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your answer. I take it we can leave aside the God-in-Croke-Park-is-actually-an-Alien issue on the grounds of solipsism?

We can agree that if God exists then the truth-bearing aspect of the process you describe above is one that has been designed to be so by God. Thus our confidence that God is present in Croke Park couldn'tbe placed in that process anymore - it would have to be redirected to be placed in the God who designed the process to be truth-bearing.

Which is an important switch. We'd be now relying on God and not a process for our truth.

And because we are now dependent on God for our truth, we can't point to this process or that process to be better for truth bearing. God would be the one to assign confidence to a process - not us. All of which permits the potential for personal revelation by God to be a better truth-giver than the process you describe above.

1) The fact that millions of people can be wrong has absolutely no bearing on God being able to reveal himself by personal revelation

2) 100 different people viewing the same car crash can be expected to produce a variety of descriptions. Assuming for a moment that the Christian God is the true God, the fact that there are so many shades of view is to be expected.

You are absolutely right to say that once a process has established god's existence we are no longer reliant on that process because we would then be relying on god for our truth.

The problem is that you're not doing a switch. You're just ignoring the part where you use some kind of process to establish god's existence and using logic that only makes sense once this process has done its job. Your logic should be:

1. Use a process to establish god's existence
    2. Realise that this process is designed by god
    3. Trust god as the arbiter of truth

But what it actually is is:

1. Assume god exists
    2. Declare that the process is designed by god

And the latter doesn't make any sense. It totally falls apart if the assumption at the start is false, the assumption of course being the very thing we are trying to establish

You are absolutely right to say that once a process has established god's existence we are no longer reliant on that process because we would then be relying on god for our truth.

And once we come to realise God exists, we realise that we were never reliant on the process because the process is only action by God. 'Process' is merely another way of saying 'action by God'.

The problem is that you're not doing a switch. You're just ignoring the part where you use some kind of process to establish god's existence and using logic that only makes sense once this process has done its job.

I don't use the empirical process to establish God's existance at Croke Park. Rather God uses that process to establish his existance for me. If I consider truth to arise from it, it is only because God delivers truth this way and instills a sense that "truth is arrived at in this way".

I'm passive in this, God is active.

1. Use a process to establish god's existence
    2. Realise that this process is designed by god

And if we change the first sentence to 'God uses a process to establish God's existance' (for that is what would have occurred once we realise that God exists) then it doesn't matter what process title we insert in line 1. It can be empirical/direct revelation and it works precisely the same way.

We aren't in a position to independently verify God designed the process - because in both cases we are subject to his action instilling this realisation in us. Your postition seems to try to insert our independently evaluating at some point - even if only to get things going. When in fact we are never independent.

There are tiers of want to be considerd. God wanting all humans to be good is a tier below God wanting all humans to have free choice. God can want something without being able to achieve it given a higher tier want. And this without impinging negatively on his omnipotence.
    God giving us "free choice" brings us back to the point of it all sounding like an experiment, why go to the bother of such a process? there is no logical explanation.
    I mean no offence. It's just that you presented a common misconception of the Christian message that needed pointing out in order to discuss. It's not you'll go to Hell if you're not good (similar to Santa's "naughty or nice"). It's not even "if you don't believe you'll go to Hell" ( in the sense that you can magik yourself into believing in something you haven't the evidence for)
    I don't understand you on this point. Could you be more specific.
    And if all those children are in heaven without having to go through the process of life whereby they might be lost?

(Dunno if that's the case - but supposing?)
    If I were to suppose that, it would be very disturbing. For instance it would mean that it's NOT ok for a human being to murder children (which I agree with) so that the "children are in heaven without having to go through the process of life whereby they might be lost", but it is ok for god to do it. Total cop out, even it is just supposing.
    It need not be for God's benefit that you talk. It might be for the benefit of an audience.
    So not alone are human part of an experiment, we'll be part of an entertainment show in the afterlife, maybe it'll be called "Soul Factor" with St. Peter stepping in for Simon Cowell judging us on our qualities for entering heaven. Sorry, but it was my turn to be ridiculous.
    Assuming he exists, he could correctly answer that it permitted you to decide what to do with the knowledge of good and evil that he gave you. Without him overtly around, you would have the opportunity to deny that you do objective evil, writing it off instead to "human nature" - something you aren't responsible for.
    Assuming god exists, it would responsible for "human nature".
    Only if he exists is this true of course. So it's only something you have to worry about if you find yourself before him. For if he does exist and he has given you adequate knowledge of good and evil then you are responsible and your excuses are just that.
    The chances of god existing are remote, I'm not going to worry about it.
    I'm not sure that scolding is what he has in mind. Since God is lawgiver and we are his subjects (whether we like that or not) I don't see how you can legally escape punishment. You certainly haven't a court to be dragging him along to.
    So then what is the point of explaining ourselves to god, if it's not going to scold us?
    Or do you suppose to have one [court]?
    I'm not in the habit of dragging imaginary beings along to court.

And if we change the first sentence to 'God uses a process to establish God's existance' (for that is what would have occurred once we realise that God exists) then it doesn't matter what process title we insert in line 1. It can be empirical/direct revelation and it works precisely the same way.

Changing the first sentence to 'God uses a process to establish God's existance' requires the assumption of god's existence so the logic is:

1. Assume god exists
    2. God uses a process to establish god's existence
    3. trust god as the arbiter of truth

No matter what way you cut it, all you're doing is making an arbitrary assumption that god exists and then making it look as if you've reasoned your way there. You cannot reason that god exists using logic that only works if god exists. It doesn't make any sense

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

And if the car cresh was viewed through vision equipment that required some practice and experience in order to gain a clearer image wouldn't that also add to the complexity of conclusions you might draw?
    Huh? :confused:
    Yes, we divide on doctrinal issues all over the place (and that tends to be what gets discussed) but that doesn't mean we disagree on essentials.
    Didn't say that you disagreed about the "essentials" :)

I said that each of you views the deity pretty much as you want the deity to be. Nudged here and there by religious texts, leaders and so on of course, but ultimately you see what you want to see -- your own views and views of god, both transformed to god-like status.

God giving us "free choice" brings us back to the point of it all sounding like an experiment, why go to the bother of such a process? there is no logical explanation.

How do you find out what free choiced beings will choose if you don't give them choices and a realm to exercise that choice?

I don't understand you on this point. Could you be more specific.

Truly "believing in God" is a position you occupy only when you have sufficient evidence for belief in God. You can't believe in God if you've insufficient evidence for him and wouldn't be condemned for not believing something that you hadn't sufficient evidence for.

But God works to bring you to a point where you can believe in God - which is something you can prevent happening. It's the preventive action on your part which would be the cause of you remaining in unbelief, the unbelief itself would be merely a consequence of your preventitive action.

So it's more accurate to say your preventive action (biblically called "suppression of truth") produces your damnation - because it is an act of wilfulness on your part.

If I were to suppose that, it would be very disturbing. For instance it would mean that it's NOT ok for a human being to murder children (which I agree with) so that the "children are in heaven without having to go through the process of life whereby they might be lost", but it is ok for god to do it. Total cop out, even it is just supposing.

It is erroneous to compare humans to God. God gives life and, not intending that we would live as we are forever, is entitled to take it away when his purposes regarding us have been completed. We, on the other hand, don't give life and have no right to take it away from someone.

Basis ownership rights apply here. Us taking a life is stealing, whereas God cannot steal that which belongs to him.

So not alone are human part of an experiment, we'll be part of an entertainment show in the afterlife, maybe it'll be called "Soul Factor" with St. Peter stepping in for Simon Cowell judging us on our qualities for entering heaven. Sorry, but it was my turn to be ridiculous.

The point of your public stripping would be to vindicate God's judgment before all - so that all can see he is just. In having you yourself declare your guilt, God is seen to be absolutely spot on. There are to be no secret trials or kangeroo courts.

Assuming god exists, it would responsible for "human nature".

He would be responsible for providing choice. He wouldn't be responsible for exercising that choice. Exercising that choice is what made humans have the nature they have. The question isn't who's to blame for that (Adam) the question you face is whether you want to be rid of it or not. If not then that's your decision. Not Adams. Not God's.

The chances of god existing are remote, I'm not going to worry about it.

The chances of God existing cannot be calculated and so you sit 50/50 when it comes to the chances of the biblical God existing

So then what is the point of explaining ourselves to god, if it's not going to scold us?

The point is that the condemned will have ample opportunity to understand why they are being condemned. Because there will be no opportunity to lie and dodge - as one could in a earthly court, the person will tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Thus will their true motives be revealed fully to themselves. All the self-justification, all the denial, all the excuses we use to drown out the knowledge we have that we are doing wrong won't be there to mask things. We'll see ourselves for the vile creatures we actually are. Stark naked in front of the mirror, we will agree that condemnation is the due penalty for ones such as us.

I say 'us' but don't mean me. I won't be facing Judgement (thanks to the very same grace that God would willingly provide you with). You, if you continue on down this path to it's conclusion, will.

I'm not in the habit of dragging imaginary beings along to court.

Case dismissed so.

Changing the first sentence to 'God uses a process to establish God's existance' requires the assumption of god's existence

Not in the case he's turned up in Croke Park. You'd have God there in front of you enabling a rewording of your first sentence. From this vantage point in Croke Park, you would see that God used a process to establish his existance - but should also realise that it isn't relevant what that process was. You start with God in front of you and work from there - no assumption necessary (unless knowledge through empiricism is an assumption). The same can be said of any other process - or no process at all - because the process isn't at all relevant once God is standing in front of you.

No matter what way you cut it, all you're doing is making an arbitrary assumption that god exists and then making it look as if you've reasoned your way there. You cannot reason that god exists using logic that only works if god exists. It doesn't make any sense

I'm not suggesting that I reason my way to God. I'm suggesting (and the example in question, whether Croke Park or Personal Revelation) indicates God working his way to us. There is no other way for God to be established than that he works his way to us. Once that is realised, you'll see that it isn't relevant which 'process' he uses. It's all his doing anyway.

(the point isn't to prove God exists. It's to demonstrate that if you accept that God can demonstrate himself empirically then you also need to accept the validity of God's personal revelation as a way of convincing - even if you aren't convinced by it.. for want of it)

Not in the case he's turned up in Croke Park.
    But he hasn't turned up in Croke park and your logic doesn't work until he does because it all depends entirely on the assumption of god's existence. Likewise personal experience can only be said to be reliable once god's existence has been established and your logic for why it is reliable only works if you assume god exists. It doesn't make any sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭MingulayJohnny

The person was infected with a spiritual disease called Sin. In heaven they're the same person they were but without the disease. The same but changed.

The person who has come to hate the disease in all it's manifestations (what you call 'natural base desire') desires goodness as nothing else. And since all that is goodness stems from God and God is there, the person naturally desires to be there too. Quite what 'activity' there will be is anyones guess - but given God's creativity and promises there is little sense in worrying about boredom. Indeed, boredom is a notion tied up with time elapsing - which might not be possible if eternity contains no time.

If it weren't for natural base desire A) You wouldn't exist in human form B) If somehow you did you'd have no motivation to get out of bed in the morning. I think we exist on this crude physical level because we need to experience the struggle present in this reality in order to grow. I believe in realities beyond this because of my own experiences , not just blind faith. The pious pursuits and world rejection of mainstream Christianity give a fractured , partial experience of this world in my view.

I struggle with the concept of infinity and eternal life but realise it is impossible for me to fathom infinite existence with a brain and a mind that is completely conditioned for linear time existence. Great for crossing the road and organising a road trip but not great for experiencing non ordinary realities. It would be like trying to explain what chocolate tastes like to an ET who has no tastebuds.

No amount of logical debate , scientism or semantics can prove or disprove the existence of heaven\eternal life. Supernatural or spiritual experiences have to be experienced by the individual , it's your own experience , your individuation.

Science has brought great improvements of life on earth but to me it's just a narrow band of the spectrum. Some would argue that we have moved away from religious oppression and the dark ages through science. This is true to a certain extent but the science that we have pursued is just as dogmatic and restricted as any religion as far as I can see. It has it's high priests , churches and it's heretics.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

The chances of God existing cannot be calculated and so you sit 50/50 when it comes to the chances of the biblical God existing.

If the chances of something existing cannot be calculated, then that is all we can say about those odds. It doesn't automatically become 50/50.

There is a lotto draw tonight. If I buy a ticket, I will either win the jackpot or I won't. Are you claiming that my odds would be 50/50?

• Advertisement

How do you find out what free choiced beings will choose if you don't give them choices and a realm to exercise that choice?
    My point is why go to such extreme lengths to find out what way humans behave with "free will", why does a god find the need to do such a thing? Is it that insecure that he needs to create something to judge?
    Truly "believing in God" is a position you occupy only when you have sufficient evidence for belief in God. You can't believe in God if you've insufficient evidence for him and wouldn't be condemned for not believing something that you hadn't sufficient evidence for.
    Do you have sufficient evidence for a benevolent god?
    But God works to bring you to a point where you can believe in God - which is something you can prevent happening. It's the preventive action on your part which would be the cause of you remaining in unbelief, the unbelief itself would be merely a consequence of your preventitive action.
    How does god WORK this way?, The PREVENTIVE action you talk about is a prevention of NOT believing in a superstition that is based on a near 2,000 year old fairytale.
    So it's more accurate to say your preventive action (biblically called "suppression of truth") produces your damnation - because it is an act of wilfulness on your part.
    The SUPPRESSION OF TRUTH occurs when a person believes in an entity that they cannot see, hear, or touch. To believe in some thing like this is also the SUPRESSION OF LOGIC
    It is erroneous to compare humans to God. God gives life and, not intending that we would live as we are forever, is entitled to take it away when his purposes regarding us have been completed. We, on the other hand, don't give life and have no right to take it away from someone.
    Total cop out, how convenient it is that god cannot be compared to us, or neither can he be explained by science.
    Basis ownership rights apply here. Us taking a life is stealing, whereas God cannot steal that which belongs to him.
    Then your god is NOT a benevolent god if this is the way he behaves, even if only for a fraction of the time, simple as.
    The point of your public stripping would be to vindicate God's judgment before all - so that all can see he is just. In having you yourself declare your guilt, God is seen to be absolutely spot on. There are to be no secret trials or kangeroo courts.
    Sod 'em admit nothing is the best job! if god supposedly created us he can answer for all the crimes of humanity, but anybody that uses true logic would know that a god did not create us.
    He would be responsible for providing choice. He wouldn't be responsible for exercising that choice. Exercising that choice is what made humans have the nature they have. The question isn't who's to blame for that (Adam) the question you face is whether you want to be rid of it or not. If not then that's your decision. Not Adams. Not God's.
    Oh dear, Adam and the Garden of Eden :rolleyes: not going to be drawn into that fairytale. Try again.
    The chances of God existing cannot be calculated and so you sit 50/50 when it comes to the chances of the biblical God existing
    50/50 on a book that is 2,000 years old? Come off it...:rolleyes:
    The point is that the condemned will have ample opportunity to understand why they are being condemned. Because there will be no opportunity to lie and dodge - as one could in a earthly court, the person will tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Thus will their true motives be revealed fully to themselves. All the self-justification, all the denial, all the excuses we use to drown out the knowledge we have that we are doing wrong won't be there to mask things. We'll see ourselves for the vile creatures we actually are. Stark naked in front of the mirror, we will agree that condemnation is the due penalty for ones such as us.
    Can I ask you how you know so much about how we are all going to be judged? Has an eyewitness told you?
    I say 'us' but don't mean me. I won't be facing Judgement. You, if you continue on down this path to it's conclusion, will.
    None of us face judgement, when you're dead you're dead, and do you know the best thing about it? you won't even know you're dead!
    Case dismissed so.
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Ahahahahahahahahaha

hahaha

ahahahahahahaha

pbbffwahahahahahahaha

antiskeptic, do me a favour please. As far as I can see every one of your arguments in this area begins with "if god exists" or some variant that boils down to the same thing. This appears to be the only scenario you are considering.

What about the scenario that begins with "if god doesn't exist"? What happens to your reasoning then and more importantly, how does one determine that this is not the scenario we are in fact in?

But he hasn't turned up in Croke park and your logic doesn't work until he does because it all depends entirely on the assumption of god's existence.

You might have missed my goal.

Once you accept that God can demonstrate himself empirically in principle, you render knowing he exists by empirical demonstration & knowing he exists by personal revelation as equally valid.

So when an atheist says he'll believe "when God writes his name up in the sky (empiricism), he might as well say he'll believe when God appears by personal revelation - since process is irrelevant.

Likewise personal experience can only be said to be reliable once god's existence has been established and your logic for why it is reliable only works if you assume god exists. It doesn't make any sense

Because process (of whatever hue) is irrelevant when God turns up, so is it's reliability.

You might have missed my goal.

Once you accept that God can demonstrate himself empirically in principle, you render knowing he exists by empirical demonstration & knowing he exists by personal revelation as equally valid.

So when an atheist says he'll believe "when God writes his name up in the sky (empiricism), he might as well say he'll believe when God appears by personal revelation - since process is irrelevant.

Because process (of whatever hue) is irrelevant when God turns up, so is it's reliability.

The sentence "Once you accept that God can demonstrate himself empirically" is another way of saying "if god exists" since I can only accept that "if god exists" as is "Because process (of whatever hue) is irrelevant when God turns up" because god can only turn up "if he exists". Please respond to my above question

You...can't possibly think what you said makes sense. It's just not possible.

antiskeptic, do me a favour please. As far as I can see every one of your arguments in this area begins with "if god exists" or some variant that boils down to the same thing. This appears to be the only scenario you are considering.

What about the scenario that begins with "if god doesn't exist"? What happens to your reasoning then and more importantly, how does one determine that this is not the scenario we are in fact in?

Hopefully you'll agree that process isn't relevant to establishing the existance of God - indeed, to say 'we establish God exists' is an impossibility when it comes to God.

I use the terminology 'if God exists' not as a part of the argument but as a scene setting to indicate how the argument is framed. "If God turns up in Croke Park" unleashes the conclusion above regarding irrelevancy of process to someone who accepts that his so turning up would be an acceptable proof of his existance.

That scene setting is for your benefit - so that you can appreciate the argument. There is no 'if' in my mind - God might as well have turned up in front of 80,000 spectators as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully you'll appreciate the validity of my position now - even if you aren't convinced of Gods existance yourself. That will come at some point too - hopefully.

Zillah wrote: »
    You...can't possibly think what you said makes sense. It's just not possible.

You .. can't possibly think that what you said says anything substantial. It's just not possible.

• Advertisement

The sentence "Once you accept that God can demonstrate himself empirically" is another way of saying "if god exists" since I can only accept that "if god exists" as is "Because process (of whatever hue) is irrelevant when God turns up" because god can only turn up "if he exists". Please respond to my above question

Whaaat??

Advertisement