Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can hypnotism work?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭SparrowTown

I never said it did :rolleyes:

No one made the claim that that phobias can be cured in one session by all hypnotists , what you are doing is called the straw man argument:rolleyes:

apart form the fact that i am not in the uk and not currently practicing :rolleyes:

Refund is a dirty word to anyone that does not like giving refunds , or any one that can not guarantee 100% success rate

nope nor did i claim to have. I made a statement based on personal experience and the experience of many others I know in the field

Now if you care to reply I would appreciate it if you did so in a less argumentative manner :rolleyes:
    you define as strawman and argumentative anything you disagree with. you gave the impression that research in the 80's and 90's prove that there is a 95 % success rate with curing phobias in one go. I know several psychologists, real psychologist rather than pop psychologists and nlp'ers who say that is nonsense. i would like to see peer reviewed research that shows it. anyone can call them selves a hypnotist and spout statistics they do not have to stand over as they do not refund if they fail. it is just a marketing ply

If i were the op i would go see a psychiatrist or psychologist. At least they have real training and real qualifications

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

you define as strawman and argumentative anything you disagree with.
    No I define as strawman and argumentative any thing that is either a strawman or argumentative ,

you gave the impression that research in the 80's and 90's prove that there is a 95 % success rate with curing phobias in one go.
    I did no such thing , again you have made a straw man , I merely pointed to where the percentage the op was quoted most likely originated , further more I never said nor did I imply that the study was to do with phobias or even that I classed it as a legitimate study :rolleyes:
    spout statistics they do not have to stand over as they do not refund if they fail. it is just a marketing ply.
    errrrrrr fail !!!
    there have been a number of hypnotists that have had to had over refunds after courts got involved because they either promised on or 100% success rates

No I define as strawman and argumentative any thing that is either a strawman or argumentative ,

I did no such thing , again you have made a straw man , I merely pointed to where the percentage the op was quoted most likely originated , further more I never said nor did I imply that the study was to do with phobias or even that I classed it as a legitimate study :rolleyes:

errrrrrr fail !!!
    there have been a number of hypnotists that have had to had over refunds after courts got involved because they either promised on or 100% success rates
    good. as for your experiences and of those you know - anecdotal evidence and useless:rolleyes:

good. as for your experiences and of those you know - anecdotal evidence and useless:rolleyes:

the phrase think before you speak comes to mind
    anecdotal evidence
    Definition: non-scientific observations or studies, which do not provide proof but may assist research efforts
    FTR some of the people i know have been invloved in scientific studies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Well, from what I have said, do you think that I should complain to him?

• Advertisement

the phrase think before you speak comes to mind
    anecdotal evidence
    Definition: non-scientific observations or studies, which do not provide proof but may assist research efforts
    FTR some of the people i know have been invloved in scientific studies
    whatever fancy definition you give it anecdotal evidence is not scientific. perhaps you could post the results of the scientific studies some of the peole you know have done

Well, from what I have said, do you think that I should complain to him?
    complain to the
    body he is a member of, link a few posts back

But I mean, do you think that I should complain to the body first or ask the hypnotist himself for a refund first?

I just called a consumer services place, they told me to send him a letter recorded delivery, so that's what I'll do first.

whatever fancy definition you give it
    I gave the dictionary definition , its not fancy , it what the word actually means , some thing you should of known before you used it

anecdotal evidence is not scientific.
    I never claimed it was in fact I said it was not :rolleyes:
    I just called a consumer services place, they told me to send him a letter recorded delivery, so that's what I'll do first.
    did they tell you how long you need to wait if he does not reply ???

• Advertisement

I gave the dictionary definition , its not fancy , it what the word actually means , some thing you should of known before you used it
    should have known. not wasting any more time with your childish arguments

should have known. not wasting any more time with your childish arguments
    I am not the one that has been making straw men or had to start name calling , if you don’t like people pointing out the flaws in your arguments either don’t argue with them or make better arguments LOL

I am not the one that has been making straw men or had to start name calling , if you don’t like people pointing out the flaws in your arguments either don’t argue with them or make better arguments LOL
    should of known lol:rolleyes:

Is it legal for him to do that?.
    i vwey much doubt it , thats some thing else you can use against him if the tax man finds out he will be going threw his accounts with a fine tooth comb

Now just play thte waiting game ;) dont worry about how you worded it/ what we think it's done and dusted ;-)

good luck with your aims

Sparrow Town, would you mind deleting the quote of my letter? As I said, I don't want it to be up here for long. I'm also deleting some of the previous stuff I posted as I don't think I should make myself or the hypnotist so identifiable on the internet. I want to keep the thread open though so I can let you know what he says when he replies.

• Advertisement

Sparrow Town, would you mind deleting the quote of my letter? As I said, I don't want it to be up here for long. I'm also deleting some of the previous stuff I posted as I don't think I should make myself or the hypnotist so identifiable on the internet. I want to keep the thread open though so I can let you know what he says when he replies.
    OK done sorry about that;)

HELP! I need help! He's got the letter and he has left a message on my phone. He was laughing while speaking, as if he thinks it's a silly situation and isn't taking it seriously. He asked me to phone him in regards to the letter, and said "In regards to your letter, I think there's been a communication problem. I don't know if you remember but just so that you're aware, there is a form that you signed."

He didn't say what form and I don't remember it but I guess there probably was one, therapists don't usually treat people without making them sign something. But whatever it said, it doesn't detract from what he said in the consultation does it?

Anyway, what shall I do? I do NOT want to talk to him on the phone really.

HELP! I need help! He's got the letter and he has left a message on my phone. He was laughing while speaking, as if he thinks it's a silly situation and isn't taking it seriously. He asked me to phone him in regards to the letter, and said "In regards to your letter, I think there's been a communication problem. I don't know if you remember but just so that you're aware, there is a form that you signed."

He didn't say what form and I don't remember it but I guess there probably was one, therapists don't usually treat people without making them sign something. But whatever it said, it doesn't detract from what he said in the consultation does it?

just report him to his professional organisation, link given previously. they say they will have an independent investigation

ok, well I wasn't sure about reporting him to them before, as it seems like they wouldn't do much, but now I will because his phone call was quite rude and he made it obvious that he doesn't think he's done anything wrong, he doesn't care about how unsatisfied I am and he has no intention of putting it right. Anyway, I called a consumer helpline for advice, and they said that they have reported him to trading standards because of the aspect of him misleading me about what to expect from the treatment. They said that they don't know what trading standards will do about it though. Also I mentioned the bit about the dodgy reciepts and they told me to report that to the inland revenue, so I did. The inland revenue seemed very interested.

He didn't say what form and I don't remember it but I guess there probably was one, therapists don't usually treat people without making them sign something.
    write him another letter asking for a copy of the fprm mentioned and instruct him that you will only be contacting him via letters as you wish to have a recored of all interactions with him

write him another letter asking for a copy of the fprm mentioned and instruct him that you will only be contacting him via letters as you wish to have a recored of all interactions with him

This is a good idea, thanks. I will post one now.

Hi everyone, guess what! Today I got a cheque from the hypnotist for the full amount. He enclosed a letter that says that he "refutes the vast majority of my claims." Well, all my claims were true and if he only refutes the majority of them then I guess he's admitting that even he thinks that some were true. Anyway thanks for all the advice, I'm going to the bank now to cash the cheque before he changes his mind.

Hi everyone, guess what! Today I got a cheque from the hypnotist for the full amount. He enclosed a letter that says that he "refutes the vast majority of my claims." Well, all my claims were true and if he only refutes the majority of them then I guess he's admitting that even he thinks that some were true. Anyway thanks for all the advice, I'm going to the bank now to cash the cheque before he changes his mind.
    well done. be very careful who you give your money to. most of these hypnotists are charlatans and chancers. anyone can call them selves a hypnotist and as you have seen will promise the earth but will not deliver. you should see a psychologist or psychiatrist re your problem and if you do go through gp as anyone can call themselves a psychologist too

• Advertisement

It says "without prejudice" at the top of the letter, and I looked it up on the internet and it seems that this means that the case isn't closed and he could file something against me in future. I asked the consumer helpline and they said that I should keep the letter for a few years in case! What do you make of that?

Advertisement