Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can hypnotism work?

Options
  • 29-08-2010 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this is the right forum, but:

I can't stand the smell or sight of red meat. I find even the thought of it sickening. I haven't eaten it in 20 years but I need to start eating it for my health. I just can't make myself do it though. I wonder whether hypnotism could help me? The only thing is, years ago I went to see a hypnotist for past life regression and she couldn't hypnotise me. At all! Has anyone had any experience of hypnotism?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SkinTex

Hypnosis itself is a broad term, but it comes down to communicating to the subconsience. Usually this happens in a suggestive manner, which means you dont have to lose consienceness as you see in the movies/theatre.

For that reason, hypno-therapy might actually work on your phobia, as long as you have the right expectations. A great deal of it depends on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

I had it done years ago for my fear of injections or taking blood.. I still have recordings of the lady, but it defo didnt work for me but then I didnt want it to work either, which i think is a major thing. I had it in my head all along that it was not going to work and that I would fight it so it didnt. I was considering trying it out this time for smoking

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ive been debating where best to place this post, op, because I dont think it belongs here.

Moving to phobias for want of a better place, if you want it in Nutrition & Diet ask the mod of Phobias, ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Actually this is a good place for it, I think it is a phobia. I can't stand the sight or even the thought of blood and gore. I have to hold my breath and look away when I walk past a butchers shop, or down the meat aisle of a supermarket. Butchers shops remind me of concentration camps, all the mutilated corpses hanging up. I can't stand the sight or thought of meat, I feel physically sick as I write this. Everything about meat and blood makes me feel so uncomfortable, like if anything touches me I'll be torn open. Whenever I see a raw cut of meat, I think, "That's me, I'm meat. I could be cut up and put in peices in plastic trays like that. Someone could eat me." I think about the farms and abbatoirs and how they must be like Auschwitz for animals. I'm not even an animal lover, it's not that I really care about animals welfare or anything, I'm just sickened by the whole process. I can't stand the sight of my own veins, especially if they seem to be bulging at all, I'm worried they'll burst open. When I have thoughts like these I hate to even touch myself anywhere, as I can't stop thinking about whats under the skin, all the muscles, blood etc, it's just sick. I have decided to go ahead with the hypnotism, I've got my first session tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭SparrowTown

Actually this is a good place for it, I think it is a phobia. I can't stand the sight or even the thought of blood and gore. I have to hold my breath and look away when I walk past a butchers shop, or down the meat aisle of a supermarket. Butchers shops remind me of concentration camps, all the mutilated corpses hanging up. I can't stand the sight or thought of meat, I feel physically sick as I write this. Everything about meat and blood makes me feel so uncomfortable, like if anything touches me I'll be torn open. Whenever I see a raw cut of meat, I think, "That's me, I'm meat. I could be cut up and put in peices in plastic trays like that. Someone could eat me." I think about the farms and abbatoirs and how they must be like Auschwitz for animals. I'm not even an animal lover, it's not that I really care about animals welfare or anything, I'm just sickened by the whole process. I can't stand the sight of my own veins, especially if they seem to be bulging at all, I'm worried they'll burst open. When I have thoughts like these I hate to even touch myself anywhere, as I can't stop thinking about whats under the skin, all the muscles, blood etc, it's just sick. I have decided to go ahead with the hypnotism, I've got my first session tomorrow.
    how did you get on.? it must be very difficult for you. good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 martin699

I can't stand the sight of my own veins, especially if they seem to be bulging at all, I'm worried they'll burst open. When I have thoughts like these I hate to even touch myself anywhere, as I can't stop thinking about whats under the skin, all the muscles, blood etc, it's just sick. I have decided to go ahead with the hypnotism, I've got my first session tomorrow.

wow you have an extreme unusual view of yourself... you need to change the way you see yourself in the mirror I think... love yourself more and every part of you...

with regards the meat thing its just the circle of life... the food chain... animals eat other animals to survive... thats it...

Well I've had 3 sessions so far and no difference, if anything it's worse because having to think and talk about it so much has been giving me nightmares about horrible things. I give up. It was a complete waste of money.

Well I've had 3 sessions so far and no difference, if anything it's worse because having to think and talk about it so much has been giving me nightmares about horrible things. I give up. It was a complete waste of money.
    I was going to say i did not have much faith in hypnosis but did not want to put you off. But then it depends who you went to. Were they member of the irsih clinical dental hypnosis organisation? I think some of them do EFT too but not too sure of the success rate.You might be better off to go to see a psychologist through the HSE. Be wary anyone can call themselves a psychologist so ask GP for referral

It must be tough on you. I was passing by the local butchers where there is an open door open plan shop and one can see the meat etc . It must be terrible to have to go through that all the time
    Whenever I see a raw cut of meat, I think, "That's me, I'm meat. I could be cut up and put in peices in plastic trays like that. Someone could eat me." I think about the farms and abbatoirs and how they must be like Auschwitz for animals. I'm not even an animal lover, it's not that I really care about animals welfare or anything, I'm just sickened by the whole process. I can't stand the sight of my own veins, especially if they seem to be bulging at all, I'm worried they'll burst open. When I have thoughts like these I hate to even touch myself anywhere, as I can't stop thinking about whats under the skin, all the muscles, blood etc, it's just sick.
    I think you should discuss that with a psychiatrist. They sound more like intrusive OCD type ruminations than phobic state and some meds may help. Note I am not an expert though but when you say I can't stop thinking about whats under the skin, all the muscles, blood etc, it's just sick. it sounds a bit like a rumination and or form of OCD

Don't give up. Good luck. be careful who you give your cash to there are lots of therapists and hypnotists who promise the earth and take your cash. So go through the GP to psychologist and or psychiatrist This is not medical advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

The only thing is, years ago I went to see a hypnotist for past life regression and she couldn't hypnotise me. At all! Has anyone had any experience of hypnotism?

You are either not cooperating with the hypnotist or they are in competent , I would tend to be of the opinion it is the latter 3 sessions is a lot for a phobia

You are either not cooperating with the hypnotist or they are in competent , I would tend to be of the opinion it is the latter 3 sessions is a lot for a phobia
    Op should see a psychiatrist, doubt it is a phobia as said above. Anyone can be a hypnotist, fuill of chancers

• Advertisement

Anyone can be a hypnotist, fuill of chancers
    I would not go as far as to say full of but I have been involved in the industry for about 10 years now and I would have to say that it still amazes me the reluctance of some people to even read the text books by people that are considered key figures in the history of hypnosis , saying that it’s not surprising as most seem to know little if any about them or their works there seems to be this “ my way is the only way” frame of thinking by a lot people teaching hypnosis which to be frank shows they know very little about what they are teaching

The hypnotism has had completely the opposite effect to what I wanted. I am now eating entirely vegan - I was eating chicken and fish before but now I can't even face those. I'm not happy about it. When I had the initial consultation the hypnotist said that he has a 95% success rate and he loves his job and would do it even if he didn't need to work for money. He showed me a book with glowing testimonials from about 5 people. However after I'd paid up, had the sessions and said they hadn't worked the hypnotist said "If hypnotism really worked, I wouldn't be working 60 hour weeks, I would walk into the bank and hypnotise them into giving me all the money."

So a - He himself says that hypnotism doesn't work
    b - He must have lied about his 95% success rate - if he's working 60 hour weeks with a 95% success rate he'd have alot more testimonials, surely?
    c - He obviously lies about all sorts of things - first he says hypnotism will work then he says it won't, he says he loves his job and doesn't do it for the money then he says he'd rather rob a bank.

After the last session when I said that I still have this phobia, he just said, "Well I can't make you do anything you don't want to, you make your own choices, hypnotism can't change that." Then he practically pushed me out of the door. I cooperated with the hypnotist totally, AFAIK. I don't know what else I could have done. Anyway, I give up. I don't think I'll see a psychiatrist, I have already had horrible nightmares and been made worse by hypnotism I don't want to worsen it any further.

Were they member of the irsih clinical dental hypnosis organisation? I think some of them do EFT too but not too sure of the success rate.You might be better off to go to see a psychologist through the HSE. Be wary anyone can call themselves a psychologist so ask GP for referral

This wasn't in Ireland, I live in the UK. He had certificates on his wall, but most of them were for "running your own business" type courses rather than hypnotism.

He told me at the consultation that most people need 3 for a phobia, and that if I paid for 3 in advance I'd get a very small discount, so that's what I did.

The hypnotism has had completely the opposite effect to what I wanted. I am now eating entirely vegan - I was eating chicken and fish before but now I can't even face those. I'm not happy about it. When I had the initial consultation the hypnotist said that he has a 95% success rate and he loves his job and would do it even if he didn't need to work for money. He showed me a book with glowing testimonials from about 5 people. However after I'd paid up, had the sessions and said they hadn't worked the hypnotist said "If hypnotism really worked, I wouldn't be working 60 hour weeks, I would walk into the bank and hypnotise them into giving me all the money."

b - He must have lied about his 95% success rate - if he's working 60 hour weeks with a 95% success rate he'd have alot more testimonials, surely?
    c - He obviously lies about all sorts of things - first he says hypnotism will work then he says it won't, he says he loves his job and doesn't do it for the money then he says he'd rather rob a bank.

After the last session when I said that I still have this phobia, he just said, "Well I can't make you do anything you don't want to, you make your own choices, hypnotism can't change that." Then he practically pushed me out of the door. I cooperated with the hypnotist totally, AFAIK. I don't know what else I could have done. Anyway, I give up. I don't think I'll see a psychiatrist, I have already had horrible nightmares and been made worse by hypnotism I don't want to worsen it any further.
    charlatan.Anyone can be a hypnotist
    I think you should see a psychiatrist.Or a psychologist. a real one rather than apop one, go through GP To me your thoughts seem invasive ruminations and a form of OCD rather than a phobia. not medical advice

This wasn't in Ireland, I live in the UK. He had certificates on his wall, but most of them were for "running your own business" type courses rather than hypnotism.
    why am i not surprised?

you should report him to trading standards or even the police, he seems to be a fraud

I was thinking about reporting him to trading standards and/or asking him for a refund, but I didn't think I'd have a leg to stand on as he never promised 100% that it would work, and also I don't know enough about hypnotism to be able to tell whether the treatment he gave me was the standard treatment or whatever.

Also is what he said right - that hypnosis can't make you change something, you still have to decide to do it every day from then on, he said every day you're at a crossroads and have to make the decision, hypnosis can't make you do something you don't want to do. If he'd said that at the beginning I wouldn't have coughed up £135!

. If he'd said that at the beginning I wouldn't have coughed up £135!
    well then he was less than honest i would say. i would get on to trading standards anyway. maybe you will scare a refund out of him. you do not really need to know about hypnosis he does. where did you get his number has he a site?

• Advertisement

hypnotist said that he has a 95% success rate
    95% is a standard rate quoted by a lot of hypnotists , it’s origins are actually based in a study of stop smoking sessions, if he quoted you that rate as HIS rate then trading standards will be very intrested

However after I'd paid up, had the sessions and said they hadn't worked the hypnotist said "If hypnotism really worked, I wouldn't be working 60 hour weeks, I would walk into the bank and hypnotise them into giving me all the money."

Oooooo s many points to make in such a small paragraph , Ok I think what he was probly trying to get out was that hypnotism does not work in the sense that you cant go up to a teller and get them to hand over all the money , tbh it is pretty much basic practice to cover that in the pre-talk / initial consultation

b - He must have lied about his 95% success rate - if he's working 60 hour weeks with a 95% success rate he'd have alot more testimonials, surely?."

He may be working at getting clients for that amount of time , but he is not doing 60 sessions a week

I don't think I'll see a psychiatrist, I have already had horrible nightmares and been made worse by hypnotism I don't want to worsen it any further.
    It was made worse by an incompetent person , that does not mean you have to suffer you have a problem that can be alleviated / completely eradicated seek further help
    I have certificates coming out the wazoooo at the end of the day they are only paper , the fact that most of his paper was for starting your own business ect would of sent alarm bells ringing for me, any of the hypnotists I know that are really into what they do have paper given to them by trainers in the field they respect and they take pride of place in their office
    He told me at the consultation that most people need 3 for a phobia, and that if I paid for 3 in advance I'd get a very small discount, so that's what I did.
    It’s a standard marketing ploy , 3 for a phobia is 2 too many in most cases
    you should report him to trading standards or even the police, he seems to be a fraud
    The police will probably say it’s a civil matter , given he seems to of miss lead the client trading standards however will be very interested (and they will not hesitate to get the police involved if they think it warrants it)
    I don't know enough about hypnotism to be able to tell whether the treatment he gave me was the standard treatment or whatever.
    There is no "standard treatment"
    Also is what he said right - that hypnosis can't make you change something, you still have to decide to do it every day from then on, he said every day you're at a crossroads and have to make the decision, hypnosis can't make you do something you don't want to do. .
    It cant force you to change some thing you don’t want to change , it can however help you change some thing you do want to change (another words yes it works as long as you want to change ie if you want to eat meat but have a phobia about it it can work because you want to change the Phobia )

well then he was less than honest i would say. i would get on to trading standards anyway. maybe you will scare a refund out of him. you do not really need to know about hypnosis he does. where did you get his number has he a site?
    also what area is he in ???

This is him:

http://www.fleethypnosis.com/

Do you think I should contact him to ask for a refund first? If so, what should I say?

btw when he was "hypnotising" me, the visualisations were stuff like, "Imagine you're unwrapping a steak, cooking it and eating it," and "picture yourself going into a supermarket meat aisle and choosing some meat to put in your trolley," "picture the meat vividly, smell it, notice how it feels in your hands," etc. He didn't go into or ask about my reasons for not being able to stand it. I told him why I couldn't stand it anyway, but he wasn't interested and didn't incorporate any of that into the sessions. The sessions were made more like, "Imagine how fit and healthy and happy you'll be when you start eating meat." Before getting hypnotism, I was under the impression that it would be more like, "Remember the time your phobia developed, etc."

Actually, I have always remembered how and why it developed, and I told him about it but he wasn't interested and didn't incorporate any of it. I told him about the day it started. It was about 1991, I was 8 years old and went on a school trip to the war museum in London. There were some really scary exhibits in there, and I was terrified. The final straw was when we had to go into the reconstruction trenches. I was so scared I thought I would have a heart attack, and it absolutely stank of rotten cooked lamb in there. When I got home for dinner that night, it was lamb, and I couldn't eat it. I told my mother not to give me lamb any more as I would never eat it again. This was when mad cow disease was in the news all the time. On TV there were disgusting videos of cows with their back legs collapsing and stuff like that, it was so disgusting that I decided never to eat beef any more again. Then pork.... it all just spiralled from there, very quickly. Also, learning about Nazis and stuff at the time, I realised that farms were like Auschwitz for animals, I had never thought about where the meat on my plate came from before. Anyway the hypnotist wasn't interested in that.

Do you think I should contact him to ask for a refund first? If so, what should I say?
    Yes but i doubt he will offer you one , outline the reasons why you think he should give you one , then inform him that you will be contacting All the associations he has listed on his site as well as trading standards

btw when he was "hypnotising" me, the visualisations were stuff like, "Imagine you're unwrapping a steak, cooking it and eating it," and "picture yourself going into a supermarket meat aisle and choosing some meat to put in your trolley," "picture the meat vividly, smell it, notice how it feels in your hands," etc. He didn't go into or ask about my reasons for not being able to stand it. I told him why I couldn't stand it anyway, but he wasn't interested and didn't incorporate any of that into the sessions. The sessions were made more like, "Imagine how fit and healthy and happy you'll be when you start eating meat." Before getting hypnotism, I was under the impression that it would be more like, "Remember the time your phobia developed, etc."Actually, I have always remembered how and why it developed, and I told him about it but he wasn't interested and didn't incorporate any of it.
    What he was using is called a direct approach , it works very well when done properly , he should of anchored a good feeling to eating meat before even thinking about getting you to visualise going near the meat , the fact that he ignored what you told him suggests to me that he was reading form a prewritten script the fact that he did not have the knowledge or confidence to change it to suite you again suggests incompetence (altering a script is not by any means a hard task)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Pebbles68

I have posted on other threads about hypnosis and based on my experience the answer to the thread title is YES. I was so amazed by the impact on my life.

From what I learned here's a few tips for anyone thinking about hypnosis;
    Go and meet the therapist before starting. I saw 3 before I met the guy I eventually went to. It is important that you are totally comfortable with the therapist.

Remember, just because you are hypnotised doesn't guarantee success. Here's how my therapist explained it; Think of hypnosis as being like the injection a dentist gives you. Once the injection has numbed your mouth the dentist can start to work on the problem. Likewise the therapist induces the hypnotic trance and then starts the therapy. It's the therapy that solves the problem, not the hypnosis. And believe me there's a lot more to therapy than sitting in a chair and listening to suggestions. Be prepared to get involved, it surprised me but in the end I was doing most of the talking.

Finally, and I think most importantly, DO NOT select a hypnotherapist because they are the cheapest. I nearly did but luckily I made the right choice for me. Pick the one you trust and can open up to. In the end it cost me a fair bit but worth every penny. ooops cent:)

Good luck

95% is a standard rate quoted by a lot of hypnotists ,
    easy to say since you do not have to produce the 95 out of 100 who it worked for. i would take all such claims with a huge grain of salt. Anyone can call themselves a hypnotist
    It’s a standard marketing ploy , 3 for a phobia is 2 too many in most cases
    i think that is an unrealistic claim and that is marketing. Seen many claim they can cure phobia in one session but will back down if asked if they will refund an failure
    The police will probably say it’s a civil matter ,
    don't know about that, taking money under false pretences is not a civil matter and he was not far off that

His site says he is a member of http://www.general-hypnotherapy-register.com/ and abides by their rules. Report him to them. But i do nit know if that register is anything more than a collection of people who have paid to join as in many 'therapy assocaitions'

easy to say since you do not have to produce the 95 out of 100 who it worked for. i would take all such claims with a huge grain of salt. Anyone can call themselves a hypnotist

i think that is an unrealistic claim and that is marketing. Seen many claim they can cure phobia in one session but will back down if asked if they will refund an failure

don't know about that, taking money under false pretences is not a civil matter and he was not far off that

His site says he is a member of http://www.general-hypnotherapy-register.com/ and abides by their rules. Report him to them. But i do not know if that register is anything more than a collection of people who have paid to join as in many 'therapy assocaitions'

http://www.general-hypnotherapy-register.com/Complaints%20&%20Disciplinary%20Procedure.htm

easy to say since you do not have to produce the 95 out of 100 who it worked for.
    Iirc yes you do have to provide some sort of proof about any claim made . The 95% (and there is also an 98% one doing the rounds) comes from a study done in the 80/90’s iirc

Refund is a dirty word , most can be done in one

Iirc yes you do have to provide some sort of proof about any claim made . The 95% (and there is also an 98% one doing the rounds) comes from a study done in the 80/90’s iirc
    that does not apply to every hypnotist. i would like to see peer reviweed proof that phobias can be cured in one session by all hypnotists.
    Refund is a dirty word , most can be done in one
    why don't you cure the op then? refund is a dirty word to the chancers who claim they can cure in one session, they all have 95% success until it comes to the result. have you any statistics to prove that most phobias can be cured in one session?

• Advertisement

that does not apply to every hypnotist.
    I never said it did :rolleyes:

i would like to see peer reviweed proof that phobias can be cured in one session by all hypnotists.
    No one made the claim that that phobias can be cured in one session by all hypnotists , what you are doing is called the straw man argument:rolleyes:

why don't you cure the op then? .
    apart form the fact that i am not in the uk and not currently practicing :rolleyes:
    refund is a dirty word to the chancers who claim they can cure in one session,
    Refund is a dirty word to anyone that does not like giving refunds , or any one that can not guarantee 100% success rate

have you any statistics to prove that most phobias can be cured in one session?
    nope nor did i claim to have. I made a statement based on personal experience and the experience of many others I know in the field

Now if you care to reply I would appreciate it if you did so in a less argumentative manner :rolleyes:

Advertisement