Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Playstaion 3 console - with Eircom Broadband Sign Up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

anyone got a scan of the voucher? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lil_missy

No way, i just ordered eircom broadband an hour ago! If i only heard of this 60 mins earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

lil_missy wrote: »
    No way, i just ordered eircom broadband an hour ago! If i only heard of this 60 mins earlier!

Ouch. Twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Here's a thought.
    Get the bundle (with the FREE PS3), download anything and everything you can, get the 3 strikes from Eircom and they cancel your b/band.
    What then happens to the 18 month contract with them & the PS3 you already have?

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Here's a thought.
    Get the bundle (with the FREE PS3), download anything and everything you can, get the 3 strikes from Eircom and they cancel your b/band.
    What then happens to the 18 month contract with them & the PS3 you already have?

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a PS3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Here's a thought.

Im sure they would still charge you for the length of the contract but just block your internet access.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Im sure they would still charge you for the length of the contract but just block your internet access

How could they charge you if they're not supplying the b/band to you?

I think that 3 strikes rule is a bunch of b*lls to be honest. Never heard of anyone who got a strike.

lil_missy wrote: »

I'm sure you can cancel within 7 days or so. ring back.

Does anyone know how long is the contract meant to be to avail of the offer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭gravity12

When I asked today, the sales guy in Harvey Norman said 12 months.

Looking into this in; Eircom's 7mb package (50GB download limit) @ 40 euros a month plus line rental 23.60 in comparison with Vodafone 8mb package (40GB download limit) with 20 euros off for ordering online.

Eircom cost: 744 euros
    Vodafone cost: 460 euros

Difference of 284 euros.

Was really interested at first but doesn't seem to be such a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

How could they charge you if they're not supplying the b/band to you?

Because you signed a contract to say you would agree to pay them for a min of 18 months and not use the internet to break the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

gravity12 wrote: »
    When I asked today, the sales guy in Harvey Norman said 12 months.

Looking into this in; Eircom's 7mb package (50GB download limit) @ 40 euros a month plus line rental 23.60 in comparison with Vodafone 8mb package (40GB download limit) with 20 euros off for ordering online.

Eircom cost: 744 euros
    Vodafone cost: 460 euros

Difference of 284 euros.

Was really interested at first but doesn't seem to be such a good deal.

Eircom don't enforce the download limit on the 7mb package.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Where are you seeing this 50GB package?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭gravity12

Its the 7mb product with 50GB download limit
    http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/bbpackages/3/?view=Standard

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

I saw this thread and I was thinking of switching my Broadband and landline from Eircom to Vodafone. I currently pay Eircom about €65/month for landline with unlimited Irish phone calls (talk anytime) and 7MB BB with up to 50GB download allowance per month. I see with Vodafone it's €45/month for up to 8MB (I'll never see 7 or 8MB since I live in the sticks) and a 40GB/month cap. That's a savings of €20/month or €240/year (about the price of a PS3) not too shabby of a savings, but I am loosing 10GB/month on my cap. I could opt for Vodafone's €52/month deal which gives me a cap of 120GB/month, more than I shall ever need. Even with this, I'm still saving €13/month or €156/year. I average about 40GB/month, but I could have the odd month where I might go a bit over, and I believe Eircom doesn't charge if you exceed your limit, at least not yet. So the question is, does Vodafone enforce the cap? If they do, according to their T&Cs, usage in excess will be charged at 2c (VAT Inc.) per megabyte, so if you have a bad month, it could get expensive and maybe I'd be better off with Vodafone's €52/month deal which gives me a cap of 120GB/month, still a savings over my existing Eircom bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Bozacke wrote: »
    I saw this thread and I was thinking of switching my Broadband and landline from Eircom to Vodafone. I currently pay Eircom about €65/month for landline with unlimited Irish phone calls (talk anytime) and 7MB BB with up to 50GB download allowance per month. I see with Vodafone it's €45/month for up to 8MB (I'll never see 7 or 8MB since I live in the sticks) and a 40GB/month cap. That's a savings of €20/month or €240/year (about the price of a PS3) not too shabby of a savings, but I am loosing 10GB/month on my cap. I could opt for Vodafone's €52/month deal which gives me a cap of 120GB/month, more than I shall ever need. Even with this, I'm still saving €13/month or €156/year. I average about 40GB/month, but I could have the odd month where I might go a bit over, and I believe Eircom doesn't charge if you exceed your limit, at least not yet. So the question is, does Vodafone enforce the cap? If they do, according to their T&Cs, usage in excess will be charged at 2c (VAT Inc.) per megabyte, so if you have a bad month, it could get expensive and maybe I'd be better off with Vodafone's €52/month deal which gives me a cap of 120GB/month, still a savings over my existing Eircom bundle.

40GB a month! Are you guys like downloading the entire interweb or something? Lets assume that you (like many others) are GULP, illegally downloading films and music! (ISP's must surely realise thats the only thing that people download, even if Eircom has blocked The Pirate Bay)
    Now, the average film torrent is 700mb and the average music torrent is 70mb. Are you seriously gonna watch, say even 20 movies a month let alone 50?
    Assuming

...and breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

I saw this thread and I was thinking of switching my Broadband and landline from Eircom to Vodafone.

I currently pay Eircom about €65/month for landline with unlimited Irish phone calls (talk anytime) and 7MB BB with up to 50GB download allowance per month.
    I see with Vodafone it's €45/month for up to 8MB (I'll never see 7 or 8MB since I live in the sticks) and a 40GB/month cap.

That's a savings of €20/month or €240/year (about the price of a PS3) not too shabby of a savings, but I am loosing 10GB/month on my cap.

I could opt for Vodafone's €52/month deal which gives me a cap of 120GB/month, more than I shall ever need. Even with this, I'm still saving €13/month or €156/year. I average about 40GB/month, but I could have the odd month where I might go a bit over, and I believe Eircom doesn't charge if you exceed your limit, at least not yet.

So the question is, does Vodafone enforce the cap? If they do, according to their T&Cs, usage in excess will be charged at 2c (VAT Inc.) per megabyte, so if you have a bad month, it could get expensive and maybe I'd be better off with Vodafone's €52/month deal which gives me a cap of 120GB/month, still a savings over my existing Eircom bundle.

added a few paragraphs for you my friend....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

40GB a month! Are you guys like downloading the entire interweb or something? Lets assume that you (like many others) are GULP, illegally downloading films and music! (ISP's must surely realise thats the only thing that people download, even if Eircom has blocked The Pirate Bay)
    Now, the average film torrent is 700mb and the average music torrent is 70mb. Are you seriously gonna watch, say even 20 movies a month let alone 50?
    Assuming
    ah bless. you're forgetting TV downloads. i'm on 10GB/month with o2 mobile bb (it's all that's available in my area) and the most i can download at is ~30kbps :eek: and i even have to limit myself. imagine me on 3/7MB bb. :D

i'd be interested in this offer if only there was a harvey norman near me and eircom could give me bb in my area :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Assuming

Meh downloading TV programs, streaming sports, downloading films and music you will pretty much rape the cap every month. Lots of people also like to download stuff in HD now which are often 5GB+ a file so you wouldn't be long hitting the cap.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

kendragon wrote: »
    aw for the love of.... only just signed my mums house up with eircom broadband... :mad:

Call them and cancel. You will most likely have a cooling off period.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

opr wrote: »
    Meh downloading TV programs, streaming sports, downloading films and music you will pretty much rape the cap every month. Lots of people also like to download stuff in HD now which are often 5GB+ a file so you wouldn't be long hitting the cap.

Opr

HD eh?
    Awwww, the youth of today.
    Back in my day lad, it used to take 20 mins just to load the webpage!
    If only I had bought those Google shares!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I dont think Vodafone are to pushed about caps. I would have some heavy months and it dosent seem to ever be a problem. Watch a lot on sky player , stram sports, d/l movies tv etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wonder can we roll back to that as we'll get the same speed, and 50GB would be a lot closer to our actual usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chicharit0

as i havnt got a new place yet and i didnt think i would by friday i got my sister to sign up for this as she needed the net anyways, she got 10 months free line rental and seeing as she already had her phone with eircom shes really only paying for the broadband..and i get the lovely new 120gb slim ps3 :D delighted!
    Wonder can we roll back to that as we'll get the same speed, and 50GB would be a lot closer to our actual usage.
    of course you can, give them a call!

Chicharit0 wrote: »
    as i havnt got a new place yet and i didnt think i would by friday i got my sister to sign up for this as she needed the net anyways, she got 10 months free line rental and seeing as she already had her phone with eircom shes really only paying for the broadband..and i get the lovely new 120gb slim ps3 :D delighted!

of course you can, give them a call!

how much is it working out at a month with the 10 months free line rental? didnt know that'd be on offer too...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

zuroph wrote: »
    how much is it working out at a month with the 10 months free line rental? didnt know that'd be on offer too...

Only certain exchanges iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Great offer. Only one problem. Eircom are very very very unreliabe. Youll get the free ps3 but pity about playing online. Cause you could be in the miidle of a great match and bang goes your eircom. Ring them and they'll tell you they have engineers currently looking at the line. DON't DO IT!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

never had a problem with eircom bb in 5 odd years of it :confused:

Advertisement