Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine course thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

blubloblu wrote: »
    If you got 560, that's not under 560, so you should be eligible. Is that confusing enough?:p
    Oh, yay!:D I just seen the "not" and stopped reading...damn speed reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭WhosUpDocs

theowen wrote: »
    When will we see the cadavers for the first time?

In the very first anatomy lecture. They'll wheel one in with great fanfare, babbling about respect and what not. You don't get to cut until your second practical though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Is anyone doing the extra Chemistry course? I didn't do it for the LC, so it's probably a good idea. The letter in the Orientation Pack wasn't addressed to Medicine students but I think we can go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

blubloblu wrote: »
    Is anyone doing the extra Chemistry course? I didn't do it for the LC, so it's probably a good idea. The letter in the Orientation Pack wasn't addressed to Medicine students but I think we can go anyway.

Apparently its not the best. I think if you find someone in your class who's done chemistry before (and no doubt they'll have got good grades in it), get them to teach you the basics.

Larianne wrote: »
    Apparently its not the best. I think if you find someone in your class who's done chemistry before (and no doubt they'll have got good grades in it), get them to teach you the basics.
    I got an A, willing to help any of the future class mates:rolleyes: Oh yeah that course seem's silly. One or two hours to learn about each topic? Took me 20 to get my head around most...

OH yeah, I just joined the faceboo˚med 2015 group, and they ALL seem to be Canadian. What's the crack?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Shan32591

i joined that and i'm certain i'm not canadian :P

WhosUpDocs wrote: »
    OH yeah, I just joined the faceboo˚med 2015 group, and they ALL seem to be Canadian. What's the crack?

There's more Canadians than Irish in Med in TCD. Didn't you know that?? You'll feel like you're in Canada. :)

Shan32591 wrote: »
    i joined that and i'm certain i'm not canadian :P
    We Irish gota stay together man...even though I'm part English but shush:)
    There's more Canadians than Irish in Med in TCD. Didn't you know that?? You'll feel like you're in Canada. :)
    More:eek: That's crazy. I've never even talked to an American type. The accent's gona make me think I'm in a movie or something. Heard the Canadians are funny fellas though right?

We Irish gota stay together woman...
    wrong gender there ha

Shan32591 wrote: »
    wrong gender there ha
    I thought your name was Shane :/ Anyway:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

no shan as in shannon..

Heard the Canadians are funny fellas though right?

Hmmmmmmmmm... maybe. :pac: I dunno, I only had to share Physiology lectures with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭jmn89

Nope, certainly not more Canadians than Irish! In my year, around 20 of 130 people are Canadian (around 75-80 are Irish). The ratio should be fairly similar throughout the years!

OP - yup, dermatology is famously competitive (apparently due to the family-friendly hours, relatively non-acute conditions by and large, glamour and extremely competitive pay with high demand from private clinics for derm consultants). Dermatologists (at least the ones I've met) are the best-groomed, wear extremely designer clothes, look as if they get twice as much sleep as their colleagues and drive flash cars.

Keep an open mind about other specialties - no point in closing so many doors so early! There are about 20 specialties I'd be happy to wind up doing - there's something for everybody and you'll be amazed at the things you enjoy.

jmn89 wrote: »
    Nope, certainly not more Canadians than Irish! In my year, around 20 of 130 people are Canadian (around 75-80 are Irish). The ratio should be fairly similar throughout the years!

I was kidding. But there certainly is a lot of them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

What was it like seeing the cadavers for the first time??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Irishchick wrote: »

I'm not a med, I'm an engineer, but I was in the anatomy building once for a meeting with a doctor from the anatomy dept. (who you'll hate btw-he hates first year meds) and I swear, the smell still sticks to me :|

Irishchick wrote: »

They ease you into it. They wheel a covered cadaver into the lecture theatre and speak about the various aspects of the dissecting room, the donor process, respecting the donors etc. (I was scared of my life they'd just whip back the cover! One girl from OT looked like she was going to get sick).

Then you are brought into the dissecting room and they uncover an arm at one of the stations so you can see and feel it if you wish.

It's grand. I just wish I knew before going in what to expect. I love anatomy and spent lots of time in there during the year. Anatomy is a fascinating subject. I definitely appreciate the donors decision to give there body to science like that.

Also, with the doctor mentioned above - learn your stuff and take it seriously and he'll like put up wit you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Very useful thread, but I'm wondering in terms of buying labcoats, dissection kits etc, are these available to buy on campus? I'll try and get a labcoat before I go, but if I can't where would be the best place to buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

AndrewJD wrote: »
    Very useful thread, but I'm wondering in terms of buying labcoats, dissection kits etc, are these available to buy on campus? I'll try and get a labcoat before I go, but if I can't where would be the best place to buy it?
    house 6, or clarendon medical, it;'s all in the science thread. They will tell you when you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Is there a list of stuff we need to buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

They ease you into it. They wheel a covered cadaver into the lecture theatre and speak about the various aspects of the dissecting room, the donor process, respecting the donors etc. (I was scared of my life they'd just whip back the cover! One girl from OT looked like she was going to get sick).Then you are brought into the dissecting room and they uncover an arm at one of the stations so you can see and feel it if you wish.

Hey OTs are hardcore!!!:D I think this must be new cus they didn't do this when i was in first year! They did give us a talk, but then it was straight in, pick a cadaver, pick a clavicle, and get stuck in, no softly softly! My two pieces of advice regarding anatomy? 1. Take advantage of it. It really is the best way to learn about muscles and the way things work. Get stuck in, people donated because they believed it was important. So don't be afraid of the bodies! 2. Just don't be hungover.
    It's grand. I just wish I knew before going in what to expect. I love anatomy and spent lots of time in there during the year. Anatomy is a fascinating subject. I definitely appreciate the donors decision to give there body to science like that.
    +1 It was the subject i was most worried about, but ended up ebing one of my favourites. It's SO fascinating, and once it clicks for you, it's kind of mindblowing how amazing the human body is! It's also quite peaceful in there especially if you go outside of class time. of course it is a bit 'unsettling seeing the cadavers the first time, but some people will be fine with it, some will panic a bit, some will pull a whitener. Mixed reactions.

AndrewJD wrote: »
    Groinshot wrote: »
    house 6, or clarendon medical, it;'s all in the science thread. They will tell you when you get there.

yep the Students union book shop upstairs in house 6 [upstairs from the little S.U. newsagent] is where you can buy a lab coat if you wish, but i don't think they have dissecting kits. More info in science, and as Groinshot says, you don't actually need it before, they'll tell you everything ahead of time.

Feu wrote: »
    Hey OTs are hardcore!!!:D I think this must be new cus they didn't do this when i was in first year! They did give us a talk, but then it was straight in, pick a cadaver, pick a clavicle, and get stuck in, no softly softly! My two pieces of advice regarding anatomy? 1. Take advantage of it. It really is the best way to learn about muscles and the way things work. Get stuck in, people donated because they believed it was important. So don't be afraid of the bodies! 2. Just don't be hungover.

+1 It was the subject i was most worried about, but ended up ebing one of my favourites. It's SO fascinating, and once it clicks for you, it's kind of mindblowing how amazing the human body is! It's also quite peaceful in there especially if you go outside of class time. of course it is a bit 'unsettling seeing the cadavers the first time, but some people will be fine with it, some will panic a bit, some will pull a whitener. Mixed reactions.

yep the Students union book shop upstairs in house 6 [upstairs from the little S.U. newsagent] is where you can buy a lab coat if you wish, but i don't think they have dissecting kits. More info in science, and as Groinshot says, you don't actually need it before, they'll tell you everything ahead of time.
    So do they place a cadavar in front of you and say go explore or?

So do they place a cadavar in front of you and say go explore or?

well, it's not just random explore! There's gee, what 10 cadavers between everyone, so depending on the size of your class there'll be a few people to each one, we were able to move around a bit, i.e. check out the size/variety of nerves in different cadavers, but i don't know if you have to stick with one cadaver in other classes.

Medics dissect specific different areas each week, they were generally already cut when we [physios and OTs] got to them. But you still have to stick your (gloved) hands in! Start with upper limb, arm, hand etc, so that's fairly doable for most people.

Some students may be inclined to stand back and let other people do the 'discovery' but it will really help you understand and remember if you get in there yourselves!

Feu wrote: »
    well, it's not just random explore! There's gee, what 10 cadavers between everyone, so depending on the size of your class there'll be a few people to each one, we were able to move around a bit, i.e. check out the size/variety of nerves in different cadavers, but i don't know if you have to stick with one cadaver in other classes.

Medics dissect specific different areas each week, they were generally already cut when we [physios and OTs] got to them. But you still have to stick your (gloved) hands in! Start with upper limb, arm, hand etc, so that's fairly doable for most people.

Some students may be inclined to stand back and let other people do the 'discovery' but it will really help you understand and remember if you get in there yourselves!
    That sounds grand!:rolleyes: What does OT mean?:o

That sounds grand!:rolleyes: What does OT mean?:o

It really sounds a lot worse than it is!! It's hard to describe it but once you're actually in the situation week after week it becomes very normal.

OT is occupational therapy. So OTs and physios, dentists and speech therapists all use the same cadavers over the same time period with the medics.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

When do we get our timetables?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Fresher's week.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Psychedelia

Has anyone managed to get their immunisation and such sorted out and sent off yet?
    i'm still waiting for the results...

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

If you are getting a lab coat for medicine, make sure it is a Howie. (One that has a flap at the neck and popstuds down the front for safety reasons.) You will need this type for biochem, or else have to rent one from the lab techs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Oh and book wise - Anatomy - Last's Anatomy much more concise than Gray's Anatomy for students. (btw - if buying online, make sure you buy the one for students) Also lecturers base their notes on Last's. Nicer pictures in Gray's, but you will need an atlas anyway - most seemed to get Netters. Other popular text was Moore and Dalley.

Physiology - Lauralee Sherwood was recommended last year, found it quite good. Also Guyton and Hall is a good one - a lot of clinical info, but loads of copies in the library.

Biochem - have to agree - Instant notes got me through 1st semester. 2nd semester needed to look at a few different sources.

As per previous poster library books do get snapped up coming up to exams. Good idea to check them out in library before committing cos they are not cheap, and may be able to get some at the Biosoc book sale.

Some may be cheaper on Amazon.co.uk and there is free postage if you spend over £25.

Advertisement