Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A rethink in my attitude

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

EDIT: just seen the last post here was a little old, so sorry for dragging it up, but given the subject i don't think anyone will mind it getting a little more attention

i think wibbs has the right idea of putting it in his sig. i was thinking about doing it when people started talking about the stickies.

i think its well worth noting that there are over 7 times more 'thanks' than posts on the thread which i think is a very telling sign of how many people it has affected.

to follow in Wibbs footsteps, hit the quote button in this post and copy/paste the text below this paragraph into your SIG.

Please read this before you next get behind the wheel of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Kelda09

Sorry for dragging this thread up again, but I just came across it today.

Otto: thank you for taking the time to make that post at such a terrible time for you, I hope you take pride in the fact that what you wrote has caught so many peoples attention and got them to stop and think.

I have lost two friends in two separate car crashes over the last couple of years, and the grief and loss when it happens is almost unbearable, and like yourself I slowed down dramatically in the period following each crash, However, the immediate fear and shock wears off and I have to admit that too my shame, my driving has started speeding up again, the age old "it'll never happen to me" was coming back again. this is why I wanted to THANK YOU so much!! Reading your post, and subsequent replies has given me the proverbial kick in the ass to cop myself on again.

Thank you for taking the time to share your story and feelings with everyone here, although it brought back some unpleasant memories and feelings it has made me re-evaluate my driving again. Im off now to set my alarm for 10 minutes earlier for work so I wont have to be rushing to get in on time. I really hope that you and your family got through christmas and new year ok, Its a tough time so look out for yourself and take care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

wow. just read the first post. chilling stuff, very unfortunate for the person involved, R.I.P.

im only 20 now, but when i was 17 i was in a very bad accident, i walked away but could so so easily have been killed or badly injured.

totally changed my outlook on driving and on life in general, you dont realise just how fragile life is and how quickly and easily you can put an end to it.

otherwise im a little bit speechless after that. a sad sad story though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I originally intended to answer everyone individually, but there was just too many messages for me to reply to since the crash.

I just want to say thanks for all the well wishes, and my family who read everything that was said and sent, also want to say thanks.

Life has resumed normality for most of us, and I know my cousins immediate family are getting on with things, a day at a time. I think they just wanted to get 2010 over and done with, and can look ahead now.

With regards to how its affected me, I sold my 'quick' car shortly after the funeral. I can't say its solely because of his death, but my need for speed just isn't there anymore.

We've had a few weepy moments over the holidays, particularly my mother, who was very close to my cousin. It's awful to think of him down there in the cold, while we eat and drink and sit by the fire.

But that's the reality of it, and I've come to accept it, and hopefully his own family have as well. He was my cousin, and their son and brother, for 17 very short years, and he made a lot of people very happy.

I hope this thread has served its purpose, but hopefully that purpose wont fade over time. R.I.P Shane.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Diplomat

My deepest sympathy to you, the family and loved ones of Shane.

May he rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Otto, I hope I don't cause you any upset by bringing this thread back up but I just found it now & am so incredibly moved by it.

I just want to say that you are a very brave, articulate, deep thinking & emotionally intelligent person.

Your words have had a profound affect on literally 1000s of people...just look at the number of thanks on your post.

I am in my 40s with a 17 year old son & I cannot bear to think about the horror Shane's family are going through.

I am also a bereavement counsellor & have listened to so many people talk about the bottomless pit filled with pain that words cannot begin to describe.

My heart goes out to you & all of Shane's family & friends, and to anyone who has suffered a loss.

Grief is the ultimate pain...

But it does ease, life does regain some sense of hope, & gradually you will feel joy again.

Shane has inspired you to write one of the most powerful epitaphs I have ever read & it most certainly has saved lives...so many have been shocked into rethinking their driving attitudes.

Without doubt you are a fine young man & what you have achieved with just a few simple words is awe inspiring.

Thank you sincerely for your courageous writing & the beautiful way you have touched each of us with that very personal insight.

My sincerest condolences to you & all those who miss Shane.

Rest in Peace...

Advertisement