Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bizarre/Illegal things on motorways

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Quickelles wrote: »
    But you can bet your bippy there are numerous laws that can nail you if you wear an L-plate while having a full licence. :D

Such as? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

TheChizler wrote: »
    Such as? :confused:

No idea.

But as I said you can bet your bippy there are some/many.

Consult a lawyer for details....:rolleyes:

No idea.

I remain to be convinced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

No idea.

I'm with you here... a couple of charges I can think of (which probably wouldn't stick but would cost you dear in court costs and time off etc...):

Wasting garda time in pulling over a seemingly L Driver unaccompanied
    Driving without out due consideration, by giving other drivers the impression you are an L driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not a hope in hell either would stick in court. There is zero legal compulsion to remove l plates when not in use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

On the M3 yesterday just after the Navan toll booth heading Dublin bound, guy in front of me in the overtaking lane has two bicycles on the back of his estate Mondeo. I notice one of them is moving, the handlebars seems to be turning so I drop back into the left lane. Sure enough the bike comes off the back of the car and breaks in bits all over the road :-( what does the driver do? Jams on the brakes and stops the car and gets out and starts picking up the bits of the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

There is zero legal compulsion to remove L plates when not in use.

It is time that there was, this should have been addressed when the driver licencing was reformed.

ardmacha wrote: »
    It is time that there was, this should have been addressed when the driver licencing was reformed.

Why? The only reason I can see is people might get a bit complacent seeing a few more around than they should, and start ignoring them, but is it likely that there's a comparable ratio of actual learners to non-learners with L-plates up? I can't imagine you'd notice any difference if they were obliged to take them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Show me where it says this in the rules of the road. Nobody who shares a car with a learner removes the plates every time they use the car.
    No, it doesn't rather bizarrely (to me at least). In the UK, it's illegal to display L plates when the car isn't being driven by a learner under tuition and it damn well should be here too.

Coincidentally and a bit OT, learners on here complain, rightfully, that they're often beeped at and face other kinds of intimidation when making mistakes while learning. Well maybe if the display of an L plate actually meant something here, and you could be pretty certain that a car displaying them was actually someone learning, as opposed to someone who couldn't be arsed to remove them, that'd stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sofitalliah

Ffff.png

282074d3f6765771a34b0a3616cd159db3a92852-1.png

Idiot taxi driver. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,991 ✭✭✭✭flazio

With a fare in the back? :eek:
    Send these pictures to the Gardaí and Taxi regulators straight away. That car should have it's licence revoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Show me where it says this in the rules of the road. Nobody who shares a car with a learner removes the plates every time they use the car.

I always take the plates down when I'm driving. Who wants to be agressively tailgated everywhere you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Alun wrote: »
    No, it doesn't rather bizarrely (to me at least). In the UK, it's illegal to display L plates when the car isn't being driven by a learner under tuition and it damn well should be here too.

Coincidentally and a bit OT,b learners on here complain, rightfully, that they're often beeped at and face other kinds of intimidation when making mistakes while learning. Well maybe if the display of an L plate actually meant something here, and you could be pretty certain that a car displaying them was actually someone learning, as opposed to someone who couldn't be arsed to remove them, that'd stop.

It is not illegal in the uk for a non learner to drive with L plates.
    That's rubbish.

corktina wrote: »
    I'm with you here... a couple of charges I can think of (which probably wouldn't stick but would cost you dear in court costs and time off etc...):

Wasting garda time in pulling over a seemingly L Driver unaccompanied
    Driving without out due consideration, by giving other drivers the impression you are an L driver.

You have got to be kidding.

ezra_pound wrote: »
    It is not illegal in the uk for a non learner to drive with L plates.
    That's rubbish.
    Many years ago, I was told by my driving instructor (an ex police advanced driving instructor) in the UK that it was. Anyway, it should be.

Many years ago, I was told by my driving instructor (an ex police advanced driving instructor) in the UK that it was. Anyway, it should be.

Well it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Autogyre

Who needs those pesky tyres anyway?

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Well it's not.
    Well, even it isn't in the UK, and I can find several online references from UK driving schools suggesting that it is, it should be. I'd like to see anyone drive on a UK motorway for very long with L plates up without getting stopped.

Just remove the damn things when you're not teaching someone to drive and then we'll actually know who are the learners and who aren't, which is what they're supposed to indicate, otherwise we may as well not bother with them. I mean, really, how difficult is it to just take them down when not needed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

I mean, really, how difficult is it to just take them down when not needed?

It would appear that in Ireland it is a major operation. :rolleyes:

The problem I think is that the learners forget to put them back up once they're down. Would be their own fault but it's easier to avoid that situation, better to have L-plates up when you're not a learner than not have them up when you are. Any potential results from having them unnecessarily up are a minor inconvenience at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I don't really see the issue with the L plates being left up by licensed drivers.

At motorway speed, I treat everyone as a potential idiot. An L plate isn't going to change that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OK, let's move the discussion along.

In an ideal world everybody would always remove L plates after a learner.

However in an ideal world there wouldn't be any criminal offences.

In an ideal world everyone should change their socks and brush their teeth at the correct intervals, however it is not worth considering making insufficient sock changing a crime.

People don't like showing L plates so there is no real concern of mass amounts of drivers putting up L plates 'because they can'.

No need to criminalise in a perfect or imperfect world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Every day, morning and evening I see people running across the M3 at Clonee.
    Also saw a lad on a bike heading onto the m50 at Santry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Seen a fella on friday reversing up a one way street it was rush hour.he was having diffoculty reversi.ng so I thought be patient.but when I eventualy got past he was doing all this whole on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Seen a fella on friday reversing up a one way street it was rush hour.he was having diffoculty reversi.ng so I thought be patient.but when I eventualy got past he was doing all this whole on the phone

Driving on the phone, sure Pierce Brosnan could do that......

ardmacha wrote: »
    Driving on the phone, sure Pierce Brosnan could do that......

I'm just a regular guy from meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone see a convoy of honda 50's last night on the m7 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭JamBur

Driving on the M7 yesterday. There was a torrential downpour, visibility was crap, I slowed to about 30\40kph, but came up behind two idiots who had stopped in the lefthand lane. They didnt even pull into the hard shoulder! If I was going any bit faster it would have been catastrophic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^ i hope you blew them out of it!!

Advertisement