Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bizarre/Illegal things on motorways

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I'm probably thinking of the rules in the UK.

not the case there either...

corktina wrote: »
    not the case there either...
    It was when I used to drive there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

My understanding is that it is permissible to briefly exceed the speed limit to safely overtake a slower vehicle, this is to reduce the time you're in the opposite carriageway or overtaking lane.

Could you post a link to the legislation that allows for this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Common sense would dictate that on a single carriageway road you would use the full performance of your vehicle to perform the overtake as quickly and safely as possible.

Unfortunately it's been decades since road traffic law was dictated by what was sensible. Barbara Castle was the start of the rot.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

mayo23 wrote: »
    I know this was way back, but I'd just like to point out I saw the odd motorway entrance sign at the start of the M18 Southbound near Gort, not Shannon.

There are some motorways in the Limerick/Clare area where there are new prohibitions signs with symbols instead of the old "NO" signs. Seen them on the M7 and M20 in Limerick too but I haven't seen them in any other part of the country. In the UK the "NO" signs were discontinued in the mid-1980s as it was considered that motorists were familiar enough at that stage with what the prohibitions were and that the Start of Motorway sign was enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

It was when I used to drive there.

wasn't when I used to drive there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

People lashing down the hard shoulder northbound tonight on the M50 between junctions 14 and 13. Just blatant scumbag behaviour - there is no exit at 13 so can't even use that 'excuse'. Of course there was a car pulled in on the hard shoulder with only hazards (no lights on) and further on a van also pulled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Last Thursday morning (3rd Jan) at approx 07:20 M7 Eastbound approaching the M9 Merge - The car 100m ahead of me seemed to swerve into the overtaking lane. I couldn't see any reason why at first.

Then as we got to the merge an indicator came on out of nowhere and moved into the overtaking lane :eek:. I kept going and finally caught up with a (apparently) totally unlit, filthy, flatbed Transit. When I finally passed him, I saw that he had one single working dipped headlight on the passenger side. :mad: Oh yeah both his rear indicators worked - so that's alright then!

It was a dark and murky morning and you literally couldn't see this fool until he was well within the range of your lights. I'd hate to think what it would be like in fog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

I've also seen people on the M7 at night with no lighting to the rear. A trailer combination a week or two back, and the occassional car going further back. It's surprisingly difficult to see them in advance from their lights to the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Some idiot on the M50 last week at 5:30 in the evening, pitch dark, on a moped with no back light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That's why it's dangerous for a motorcycle to be fitted with only one rear bulb. Most but by no means all larger bikes have two tail lamp bulbs.
    Happened to me on an unlit stretch of the old N7 dual carraigeway approaching Naas years ago, was wondering why cars overtaking me in the pitch darkness were honking me :confused: bulb had been fine half an hour earlier.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Not wrote: »
    I've also seen people on the M7 at night with no lighting to the rear. A trailer combination a week or two back, and the occassional car going further back. It's surprisingly difficult to see them in advance from their lights to the front.

And again in the dark wet murk of yesterday evening, M7, citroen van towing a car on a trailer, sod all lighting to the rear, just reflectors and one tiny button sized thing that looked like it might be attempting to be a very very dim light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Not wrote: »
    And again in the dark wet murk of yesterday evening, M7, citroen van towing a car on a trailer, sod all lighting to the rear, just reflectors and one tiny button sized thing that looked like it might be attempting to be a very very dim light.

Slow down, memorise number plate (or have passenger snap it), report. Nothing will come of it but if it's not reported it officially didn't happen and nobody needs to do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Stonewolf wrote: »
    Slow down, memorise number plate (or have passenger snap it), report. Nothing will come of it but if it's not reported it officially didn't happen and nobody needs to do anything about it.

The car's or the trailer's? :)

the trailer is required to have the car reg details on it IIRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

medoc wrote: »
    Not really Bizarre these days but still Illegal, I passed a tractor with a large load of straw heading southbound on the M8 south of Cahir junction 11.
    I passed a tractor pulling a large trailer with very large bales of hay or grass on the M50 last night. Not quite sure what speed he was doing ,but he was certainly delaying traffic on the inside lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Yesterday afternoon on the M3 (don't ask me where - it was my first time on the road as an M-Way), Two coaches pulled up on the side of the road with some of the occupants outside doing what men usually do standing up and women do sitting down :P on the grass verge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Well yesterday evening approx 7pm on the M20 on Dooradoyle Heading towards adare approaching the bend of the road towards ballycummin overpass, I was just about to pull into the overtaking lane to overtake and low and behold a Kerry reg car people carrier driving at speed against the flow of traffic. I did not get her number plate and I had not my phone at the ready to call the guards. As I look at my rear view mirror she stop/slow down near the Dooradoyle junction.
    https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=ballycummin&ll=52.624154,-8.637743&spn=0.015787,0.032272&client=firefox-a&hnear=Ballycummin,+County+Limerick&gl=ie&t=h&z=15

She could have not only killed her passengers but other road users.

When I look at the footage of my dashboard camera, it did not get the number plate, nor the driver or passenger face. I need to get a better camera. I will post it (small clip) later this evening when when I get the chance.

I know the road well, It is well signposted, I cannot believe that her adult passenger did not tell her she turn onto the wrong road or driving the wrong way round. Sign Posts might be a good clue, especally the one that give directions facing the other way or the wrong way or do not enter signs, that there is something wrong. She must have got onto the road at Patrickwell.

She probably is complaining that all the dangerous drivers on the road in front of her flashing at her.

All it would take at her speed is a high speed car in the overtaking lane crashing into her at the bend killing/injuring all of them and other road users in the other lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Adults - not even the usual kids parked up and diving off the m4 into the liffey. At a hydro power station.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MYOB wrote: »
    Adults - not even the usual kids parked up and diving off the m4 into the liffey. At a hydro power station.

Call to Garda / ESB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Victor wrote: »
    Call to Garda / ESB?

Called guards as I always do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

as an experienced driver from northern ireland , i have to say you guys from the south are shocking on the motorway!!
    dangerous like, no offence but i think the majority need to resit some sort of test.
    id say 40% can drive with awareness and safety in mind , rest are lunatics.

selection of todays shockers on a drive from ennis to galway then to drogheda.

girl playing or texting or something on a fecking tablet!! on the motorway !!!!

had 3 drivers originate from the right hand lane of large roundabouts and swing happy as you like midway into the left lane ( thats a standard move , i tend to sit back now , some sort of sixth sense of them doing it , missed another 3 today anyways )

countless tailgaters , i drive in the left hand lane and overtake in the right hand lane , so mr BMW doesnt need to come at 150km up my hole , idiot

WINNER OF THE DAY !!!

this prestigious prize goes to the person on the M6 who i watched swing into the right hand lane full aware of the guy closing in at high speed , this i see everyday, cue red lights and the guy brownstaining his underwear trying to slow down to avoid a pile up. i could feel his rage , id have that down as attempted murder , he knew full well he was coming and deliberately pulled out.
    anyways i seen the guy pull in behind him flashing and that , and the idiot was getting off at the next junction , your man followed him :) was tempted to turn off and see the showdown.

rest of the journey was your usual mix of aresholes at 80km in the overtaking lane and trailers going about 40km

sort it out guys!!!
    i see this every journey i make and its really dangerous , show awareness of the road esp at speed on the motorways

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    as an experienced driver from northern ireland , i have to say you guys from the south are shocking on the motorway!!
    dangerous like, no offence but i think the majority need to resit some sort of test.
    id say 40% can drive with awareness and safety in mind , rest are lunatics.

selection of todays shockers on a drive from ennis to galway then to drogheda.

girl playing or texting or something on a fecking tablet!! on the motorway !!!!

had 3 drivers originate from the right hand lane of large roundabouts and swing happy as you like midway into the left lane ( thats a standard move , i tend to sit back now , some sort of sixth sense of them doing it , missed another 3 today anyways )

countless tailgaters , i drive in the left hand lane and overtake in the right hand lane , so mr BMW doesnt need to come at 150km up my hole , idiot

WINNER OF THE DAY !!!

It works both ways, I've lost count of the times I've seen northern reg cars going way over the speed limits because they have no fear of getting points this side of the border.

It works both ways, I've lost count of the times I've seen northern reg cars going way over the speed limits because they have no fear of getting points this side of the border.

Going 140 on the motorway isn't that dangerous, the halfwits pulling out and doing all sorts of crazy stuff is!

I'm not interested in a north/south, who's the better driver stuff.
    From what i see on the motorways, at least 50% don't have road awareness!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Going 140 on the motorway isn't that dangerous, the halfwits pulling out and doing all sorts of crazy stuff is!

From what i see on the motorways, at least 50% don't have road awareness!

I'm just pointing out that there are bad/careless drivers on the roads no matter where you are, there are lots of them down here and on your side as well.

yeah i agree with that , just an observation that on motorways in particular the standard needs improved.
    and on two lane roundabouts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Of course, it should also be noted that people pulling out to overtake (at 110-120km/h) don't expect traffic approaching them from the rear to have a closing speed 20-40km/h above the speed limit. Saw it happen on the M6 on Sunday, person in front pulled out to overtake a slower car, into the path of a UK reg X6 tearing up the outside lane, cue heavy braking, flashing of lights etc. The person in front of me may not have been correct to pull out, but the dude in the silly car was certainly breaking the law and driving dangerously by travelling well in excess of the legal limit.

sorry but thats utter tosh!!!

when preparing to overtake you look in the rear view mirror and its easy to judge the speed of an oncoming car.
    what is fecking infuriating is numpties who decide to pull out anyways , THATS DANGEROUS!!!
    but yes , ill stay out of it now , the real danger on the road is some guy cruising along in a V6 in the outer lane , the idiots pulling out at 120km/h are only incorrect .
    for me its attempted manslaughter , thats how dangerous it is having no brain cells and lurching into the overtaking lane at 120km/h because the other guy is driving a silly car and is breaking the speed limit anyways.

unbelievable mindset toward driving at speed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

If this is true, then why start your first post with this?
    as an experienced driver from northern ireland , i have to say you guys from the south are shocking on the motorway
    sorry but thats utter tosh!!!

when preparing to overtake you look in the rear view mirror and its easy to judge the speed of an oncoming car.
    what is fecking infuriating is numpties who decide to pull out anyways , THATS DANGEROUS!!!
    but yes , ill stay out of it now , the real danger on the road is some guy cruising along in a V6 in the outer lane , the idiots pulling out at 120km/h are only incorrect .
    for me its attempted manslaughter , thats how dangerous it is having no brain cells and lurching into the overtaking lane at 120km/h because the other guy is driving a silly car and is breaking the speed limit anyways.

unbelievable mindset toward driving at speed

You should always be aware of all other road users. If you see someone indicating to pull out the you should expect them to pull out and slow down. Not drive up to within 2 feet of their rear bumper and start flashing your lights. THAT is dangerous and illegal.
    Happens to me regularly and I slow down and accelerate again after they've pulled back in. Simple.

• Advertisement

go learn how to drive!
    you do not expect a car to pull out on you while travelling at high speeds in the overtaking lane.
    i think some lessons are required for your level of road awareness.
    seriously, your a hazard to yourself and more importantly other road users.
    i suggest you edit your post to delete comments about purposely slowing down in the overtaking lane :( its a terrible attitude and highly dangerous.

Advertisement