Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who sticks within the speed limit?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

sat nav doesnt provide an 100% accurate speed reading btw...

its always off by 5-20 kmph depending on the coverage of the satellites
    Mine's pretty consistent, if I set cruise on a run then neither the speedo nor the sat nav speed reading changes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I stick to it when it's the 50kph limits in more built up areas.
    I stick to it on the m50 at 100 because I'm convinced there's gardai around.

I do my best to stick to the 80 limit on the n-whatsit but by god is it difficult when traffic is zooming by you! Wide open roads, should be much higher. Would stick to the 120 limit unless overtaking.
    Generally disregard the 80 limit on the road to enfield though, it's wide and clear like...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

lol what i find funny from the poll i might slip if i overtake? does any one actually keep to the speed limit while overtaking? LMAO its like a death-wish

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I generally stick within the limits, as the jeep cant really do much faster then it.
    Motorways I tend to cruise at 60-65 because if I go any faster I can see the fuel gauge plummeting :pac:

I do agree there are some ridiculous limits in this country, with even the smallest country boreen having a limit of 80kph.

Its inappropriate speed that kills, not just speeding in general that kills

• Registered Users Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

landyman wrote: »
    Motorways I tend to cruise at 60-65 because if I go any faster I can see the fuel gauge plummeting :pac:

you do 60kph on the motorway :eek:
    Its inappropriate speed that kills,

/\/\

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I generally stick within the limits, as the jeep cant really do much faster then it.

I do agree there are some ridiculous limits in this country, with even the smallest country boreen having a limit of 80kph.

Its inappropriate speed that kills, not just speeding in general that kills

Its unreal in some places. Out near where my parent live there are two roads thru a bog; one is a decent enough R road, staight enough, proper width and good surface with a speed limit of 60, and if you turn off it towards the village it becomes little more than a backroad, half the width, poor surface, windy and a speed limit of 80. Its crazy.

Generally the speed limits in this country, at least on the roads I tend to drive, are way off the mark. The N7 is the prime example; there is noone will convince me that between Naas and Citywest should be any less than 120 limit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

djimi wrote: »
    Its unreal in some places. Out near where my parent live there are two roads thru a bog; one is a decent enough R road, staight enough, proper width and good surface with a speed limit of 60, and if you turn off it towards the village it becomes little more than a backroad, half the width, poor surface, windy and a speed limit of 80. Its crazy.

Generally the speed limits in this country, at least on the roads I tend to drive, are way off the mark. The N7 is the prime example; there is noone will convince me that between Naas and Citywest should be any less than 120 limit.

Agreed, it is simply astounding the amount of roads that used to be main roads with heavy traffic that for decades had a 60 mp/h, then a 100 km/h speed limit.
    For some strange reason all those roads that are now near deserted because of the presence of a near toll road suddenly have been signposted as 80 km/h.
    Anyone who says that wide, straight main roads with a good hard shoulder in decent state of repair have been posted as 80 km/h after a toll road has been built to replace them for safety reasons is either a moron or a liar. Which covers almost all of FF, aside from the ones who merely joined to have their palms greased and cannot make it in the world of business because they are too thick/arrogant.
    And don't even get me started on the greens!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

corktina wrote: »
    Do you realise your speedo is probably over-reading by about 10%? (most are)

I'd say very few are over reading by as much 10% and certainly not "most".

Somewhere along the way, the rule about speedos having to err on the side of over reading became "speedos over read by between 5 and 10%" and now it's "most over read by about 10%".

I think it's just something people who speed say to convince themselves they're not speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

you do 60kph on the motorway :eek:

/\/\

60 in old monies.... The Kph numbers on the speedo is tiny :pac:

jeez if you cant see the KMPH writting on the speed i would like to be driving in front of ya ;) might not see me :)

• Advertisement

60 in old monies.... The Kph numbers on the speedo is tiny :pac:

ah thats alright, you had kph later in the post so thought you were using new money all round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

i mean on 100 km roads...i dont think the 80km/100km speed limit makes any difference to any one around here :D

im not saying no one sticks to it...its just that majority tend to drive under or over ;)
    I must be in the minority so, I drive on the Speed Limits.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

so am i the only one who remembers this here thread???

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055996601

Hey hold on there guys! Please don't forget 2 very important things if considering driving 120 or over... I am young and I am now DISABLED because of a speeding driver! I am somebody's friend / sister / auntie and lots of other things, what if it was your mum or your sister / niece? The reality is this: Speed KILLS and DISABLES. :(
    Sorry for your Troubles. It is reckless driving accompanied by inappropriate speed on roads where road conditions do not warrant bad driving that kills and injuries/disabled people. I had ex neighbour disabled when a woman hit her on the road the car was travelling at ~40kph on a straight wide road. The Woman who drove the car was laughing and talking on her mobile and not paying proper attention to the road. Even after that event she still drives badly afterwards. No matter what you say to Reckless Drivers they will always ignore you. It is hard to comprehend but that the reality unless something dear to them is lost (Not including Friends).

no ones bragging :) i never even mentioned my driving weather above or under the speed limit ;) i said people in the country side :)

poll needs further option of "never"
    I doubt anybody here have never broken the speed limits in their lives even 15Kph on some Shopping centres.

Most Slow drivers on national/Local Roads (100/80kph) break the 60/50kph when entering Towns and Villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

limklad wrote: »
    I doubt anybody here have never broken the speed limits.....

Think what he means is there should be option on the poll for never....as in never stick to the speed limit.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Think what he means is there should be option on the poll for never....as in never stick to the speed limit.

yeah, that one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

But nobody NEVER sticks to the limit. For example, I have never seen anyone start their car at above 50kmph. Therefore they are within the limit at some point.

[pedant]
    But nobody NEVER sticks to the limit. For example, I have never seen anyone start their car at above 50kmph. Therefore they are within the limit at some point.
    [/pedant]

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

I dont anyway, I just drive as I see fit. I know sat navs can tell you how fast you are travelling, and what the speed limit is in any area. I was always curious if they could tell you what % of the time you are travelling above the speed limit. I would certainly guess that a majority of my miles driven is at above the speed limit. But if there is guards around I'd be pretty vigilant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

[pedant]

[/pedant]

:P

shouldn't that be pedantic?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

What about people with big long driveways. It can be done. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I dont anyway, I just drive as I see fit.
    That does not sound good.
    I know sat navs can tell you how fast you are travelling, and what the speed limit is in any area.
    And can record exactly where you've been and how fast you were travelling at the time. With advances in storage, many months of your driving activities can be stored until needed 'to help improve the product experience for our customers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

As someone who see's first hand the result of accidents I am constantly dismayed at the attitude that limits are there to collect money (do they honestly think that people sit around a table saying "right how much will this limit get......) cop on!

The majority of car journeys are around half an hour'ish and been restricted to 100kph (which the vast majority of people don't adhere to anyway) instead of 120kph might add an extra 5 or 6 mins to your journey.

Anyway the Irish attitude to road safety will never change as long they preface every conversation re speeding with, "the road was clear", "two lanes......", "the limits are too low" and the most stupid one "they don't care about safety they only want our money".

The vast majority of car accidents today are surviable (sometimes I'm sure the victims of some wish they weren't) we only read and see news reports about the fatal ones. We tend to view the lack of fatalities as a good thing (and yes it is) and so judge the fuddy duddies who harp on about road safety, as some who read this will view me, as being over the top and reactionary. But most people aren't aware (or simply ignore) the number of lives that are ruined both directly and indirectly by un-news worthy car accidents every week.

So for the sake of 5mins don't get uptight about the 'lane hogger' in front of you. We tend to over exaggerate their number as most journeys thankfully are boring and unmemorable and so "that guy so sat in front of me... blah blah...." tends to come up in every conversation (it doesn't really happen all that often). Another big thing about our car journeys is we tend to join a queue at its end, be it for a parking space or whatever; so slow down and relax most of our jobs are stressful enough without the journey in adding to it.

@reg

the road rules clearly state to let the faster drivers through by moving to the hard shoulder...

by doing that you might save some one having to speed up to overtake and increasing the chance of an accident

and sorry if your job is stressful too...doesn't mean you have to make our driving home stressful!!

most of us drive to our capabilities...well the smart ones know what their car can do...

the rest panic and drive for the ditch or the other driver

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    As someone who see's first hand the result of accidents I am constantly dismayed at the attitude that limits are there to collect money (do they honestly think that people sit around a table saying "right how much will this limit get......) cop on!

I'll cop on when dangerous boreens don't have an 80kph limit.
    Either they're thick or greedy or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

It depends how late I get up in the morning but I usually stick to the limit or hover just over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

@regthe road rules clearly state to let the faster drivers through by moving to the hard shoulder...
    The rules suggest pulling over onto the hard shoulder, if you feel like it. It's not a law. And, since it's illegal to drive on the hard shoulder (it's not part of the road), the only way you could follow that suggestion and not break the law, would be to pull over and stop.

The overtaking regulations forbid overtaking that would cause inconvenience to anyone else. So, if your overtaking forces someone else to stop, you've broken the law.

• Advertisement

were not asking any one to stop...jeez if you just moved to the hard shoulder i think you would get more thanks than flashes...its not a hard thing to do...just being a ****ing road hoggers makes you damn tick and not giving a **** about other drivers. road is not just for u

Advertisement