Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who sticks within the speed limit?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

...just being a ****ing road hogger makes you damn tick
    Please make your point without recourse to personal abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

When there's Gardai or speed cameras around, yeah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

were not asking any one to stop...jeez if you just moved to the hard shoulder,,, a ****ing road hogger makes you damn tick and not giving a ****
    It seems that when you encounter other drivers who you imagine are being inconsiderate towards you, you get quite angry. How does this affect your ability to drive in a lawful manner? Does it lead you to make up non-existant rules to justify your own behaviour?

It seems that when you encounter other drivers who you imagine are being inconsiderate towards you, you get quite angry. How does this affect your ability to drive in a lawful manner? Does it lead you to make up non-existant rules to justify your own behaviour?
    THe rest of us have (where safe) been moving into the hard shoulder to allow faster-moving vehicles to pass for at least as long as i've been driving. Done properly it's safe, considerate, and it considerably aids the flow of traffic on single-lane carriageways.

Anan1 wrote: »
    THe rest of us have (where safe) been moving into the hard shoulder to allow faster-moving vehicles to pass for at least as long as i've been driving. Done properly it's safe, considerate, and it considerably aids the flow of traffic on single-lane carriageways.
    You're making an assumption based on no information whatever. Why should any driver, keeping to an appropriate speed and driving correctly on the left of the marked roadway, leave the road and give way to people who are breaking the speed limit?

Are you aware that when driving on the hard shoulder in the way you describe, you may be breaking the law and potentially, since you're technically driving 'off road', your comprehensive insurance may not cover you, say if you hit a pothole, dead dog or the remains of a truck tyre? What if it's at night and you drive into a pedestrian?

I think you're being too nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Speeding is like being pregnant: you either are, or you aren't :D

On motorways, I set cruise at 135 which 2 sat navs tell me is 127
    N Roads: 110, sat nav says is 105
    R Roads: keep it pretty well to the limit

Hmmm, think that puts me in the "not really" category....

You're making an assumption based on no information whatever. Why should any driver, keeping to an appropriate speed and driving correctly on the left of the marked roadway, leave the road and give way to people who are breaking the speed limit?
    It's not my job to police speed. If someone wants to drive faster than me, i'd sooner have them in front of me than behind me.
    Are you aware that when driving on the hard shoulder in the way you describe, you may be breaking the law.
    'May be' or 'am'? Either way, I won't be losing too much sleep over that one.
    and potentially, since you're technically driving 'off road', your comprehensive insurance may not cover you
    I don't know where you've got that idea - mine does.
    say if you hit a pothole, dead dog or the remains of a truck tyre? What if it's at night and you drive into a pedestrian?
    As i've already stated, I wouldn't do it unless I could see that it was safe.
    I find being considerate towards other road users makes driving easier & safer for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I don't speed on country roads cuz its pretty dangerous.
    I do to about 70-80kmph occasionally if I can see far ahead the road is clear. But in the twisties I stay below 60kmph.

On motorways I do 120kmph because its what my car can comfortably take.
    On N roads I do 100-120 while slowing down in any Garda hotspots...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Genaral day to day driving, no. Sometimes when the conditions are good etc, I dont see a problem with speeding.

It's not my job to police speed. If someone wants to drive faster than me, i'd sooner have them in front of me than behind me.
    Obeying the law is not 'acting the policeman'.
    I find being considerate towards other road users makes driving easier & safer for me.
    Doesn't being courteous towards aggressive law breakers just reinforce that kind of behaviour?

That said, if you are being intimidated by drivers, discretion is the better part of valour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Are you aware that when driving on the hard shoulder in the way you describe, you may be breaking the law and potentially, since you're technically driving 'off road', your comprehensive insurance may not cover you, say if you hit a pothole, dead dog or the remains of a truck tyre? What if it's at night and you drive into a pedestrian?

if the hard shoulder is devided from the carriage way by a broken line, its not illegal to enter it. it is also actully in the rules of the road that you may enter it to allow a faster moving vechel by you, as long as (i), it is a broken line and (ii), its safe to do so, ie, no obtructions, hazards, pedestians, cyclists, etc.

i have often crossed the broken line in this maner to let faster cars by, and have been given the same curtosy in return when sticking to the limit. i'd rather let a faster car by when safe to do so, rather than run the risk of being rear ended by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Why should any driver, keeping to an appropriate speed and driving correctly on the left of the marked roadway, leave the road and give way to people who are breaking the speed limit?

no one ever mentioned anything about the ones that are doing the speed limit...i never got tick once with some one whos following the speed limit...more than likely ill just lay back in the chair and follow...

for the ones that do move out of the way to let faster ones through i turn on my hazard lights to say thanks and we both carry on happy!

im making a point for people who drive under the speed limit to slow down and let a 20 car train pass or move to the hard shoulder when safe to do so!!!

get the point not the points ;):D:D:D

Obeying the law is not 'acting the policeman'.
    Deliberately blocking another car where I could safely let them pass is.
    Doesn't being courteous towards aggressive law breakers just reinforce that kind of behaviour?
    There's nothing aggressive about wanting to drive faster than the posted limits, I often do it myself.
    That said, if you are being intimidated by drivers, discretion is the better part of valour.
    I'm not in the slightest intimidated. There are people who drive faster than me, and there are those who drive more slowly. I extend courtesy to the former and hope that the latter will do the same for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Deliberately blocking another car where I could safely let them pass is.

Ah it's hardly acting the policeman if you simply keep the limit on a single carriage road and don't move into the hard shoulder. It's not in the same bracket of back seat policing as overtaking lane hoggers.

I move over quite often but I'd never accuse anyone of acting the policeman just because they don't want to do it. There's all sorts of debris in hard shoulders that may not be immediately visible but could still puncture your tires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭emmacxxx

No one does!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I always let faster trafic past me if i can, hopefully they will meet the traffic Corps instead of me,.

In any case, its much more relaxing not to have a car up your chuff dancing about looking for an opportunity to pass.

If you always have cars behind you and over-taking you and nothing ever in front, you are driving too slow.

irish-stew wrote:
    if the hard shoulder is devided from the carriage way by a broken line, its not illegal to enter it. i
    True, but only while stopping, it's not part of the road, you must not drive along it except when leaving or accessing the roadway.The advice in the RoTR was intended for slow-moving agricultural vehicles.
    There's nothing aggressive about wanting to drive faster than the posted limits, I often do it myself.
    It would be interesting to known if the people who deliberatley break the law by deciding to exceed the legal speed limit might also be the same people who want others to 'show them courtesy' and pull over and get out of their way.

So, you don't want others to 'act the policeman' by simply obeying the road traffic rules. and at the same time, you want to be able to break the law yourself by exceeeding the posted limit and by illegal overtaking, causing inconvenience to others, re-writing the rules to suit yourself?

OK, I get it.

So, you don't want others to 'act the policeman' by simply obeying the road traffic rules. and at the same time, you want to be able to break the law yourself by exceeeding the posted limit and by illegal overtaking, causing inconvenience to others, re-writing the rules to suit yourself?

OK, I get it.
    I do my best to let others pass me safely, and I appreciate when people do the same for me. Is that really so hard to understand?

I do my best to let others pass me safely, and I appreciate when people do the same for me. Is that really so hard to understand?
    The law requires you to keep to the left of the roadway so that others can pass. The left boundary of the roadway is marked by a broken yellow ine.

You encourage people to illegally drive on the hard shoulder and admit to deliberately breaking speed limits. These actions are illegal, is this really so hard to understand?

If you are breaking the speed limit and driving on the hard shoulder as a courtesy to drivers going even faster than you are, that's a lot of dangerous drving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

The law requires you to keep to the left of the roadway so that others can pass. The left boundary of the roadway is marked by a broken yellow ine.

You encourage people to illegally drive on the hard shoulder and admit to deliberately breaking speed limits. These actions are illegal, is this really so hard to understand?

If you are breaking the speed limit and driving on the hard shoulder as a courtesy to drivers going even faster than you are, that's a lot of dangerous drving.

Just because something is wrote in law as being wrong doesn't mean it's dangerous.

Is that really so hard to understand?

• Advertisement

dude thousands of people around the country break the law... drugs/rape/murder and your making a stand how you cant pass a stupid yellow line that no one uses

show some decency by moving off to the side of the road if your driving under the speed limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'll cop on when dangerous boreens don't have an 80kph limit.
    Either they're thick or greedy or both.

I agree with you that 80kph is wrong on some roads but it's a limit and not a target and that limit is set by the road traffic act 2004 and as such can only be changed by the Dail under influence of the electorate i.e. us.

So here is a link to help you change the above limits

http://www.noeldempsey.ie/index.php/get-in-touch/

And in fairness to our friends in blue these type of roads don't generate much in the way of revenue. And so to make my point again, limits are just that; limits.

Anyway all this talk of limits is a moot point here in Ireland, where we first need to change the mind set of all drivers through proper education. I for one advocate a system where displayed limits can change with prevailing conditions but that is for another thread.

hmmm wonder how come then if you drive slower the speed limit on your driving test you will fail?

me friend drove 30 in 50 and failed

so not being a target?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

True, but only while stopping, it's not part of the road, you must not drive along it except when leaving or accessing the roadway.The advice in the RoTR was intended for slow-moving agricultural vehicles.

well this is how i was taught and also taken from the rules of the road website
    A single broken yellow line along the side of the road

This road contains a hard shoulder, which is normally only for pedestrians and cyclists. If a driver wants to allow a vehicle behind them to overtake, they may pull in to the hard shoulder briefly as long as no pedestrians or cyclists are already using it and no junctions or entrances are nearby. Different rules exist for hard shoulders on motorways. See Motorways section for details.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/traffic-signs-road-markings/road-markings.html

i understand your point but the RoTR does not specify who its intended for from what i can see.

show some decency by moving off to the side of the road if your driving under the speed limit?
    What if the limit is 100k, you're doing 100k, it's a single lane road, there's a continuous white line to your right and there's a car behind you who's obviously broken the speed limit to come within two car lengths of you?

What if the limit is 100k, you're doing 100k, it's a single lane road, there's a continuous white line to your right and there's a car behind you who's obviously broken the speed limit to come within two car lengths of you?
    You're doing a lot of imagining here. Who said anything about a continuous white line? Who said anything about tailgating? Or that speeding was necessarily dangerous? That speeders were always agressive? That I found speeders intimidating? That comp cover didn't apply when driving in the hard shoulder? I'm getting the distinct impression that your disapproval of speeding is at the root of your reluctance to ever use the hard shoulder to let faster-moving traffic past. Is that the case?

well you just drive as you should drive...no one should get tick for some one following the stated road speed limit!

if he crosses a continuous white line he must be half retarded cause in most cases its not enough visibility to pass over certain distance or he must have a very fast car to do it :)

I said i never had a problem with people driving at 100k cause their just doing what their meant to do...i was targeting my argument who drive under at around 80 or lower on 100...

if some ones driving under the speed limit i would like them to move and let other traffic to move and stop car trains piling on...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

hmmm wonder how come then if you drive slower the speed limit on your driving test you will fail?

me friend drove 30 in 50 and failed

so not being a target?

Ill lay money they didnt fail just for driving 30 in a 50 zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Then you stay where you are. I will move if for whatever reason Im driving well below the speed limit, but if Im doing the speed limit of close to it then Im not going to drive in the hard shoulder just so someone can fly past me, f**k that. If someone is being reckless in their attempts to get past me then in the interest of safety Ill consider getting out of their way, but its not something I just do as a matter of course.

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    Ill lay money they didnt fail just for driving 30 in a 50 zone.

go on then :) i had my mums friend that drove a micra and she drove slow cause there were tons of people around...she ended up failing...

my driving instructor kept telling me not to drive slow cause he would rather see some one driving at the speed limit than below it causing traffic...i drove at 50 and passed she drove well below and failed...

true fact

Advertisement