Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who sticks within the speed limit?

Options
  • 20-08-2010 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭

I'm genuinely curious.

I don't speed. But I get tailgated EVERYWHERE. And I'm on the limit. Not 20km below it. And my speedo is definitely functional. It may be due to my small car.

Poll to follow.

Do you obey the speed limit? 188 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    If I agree with it
    17% 33 votes
    If I think there may be Gardai about
    19% 36 votes
    Generally - I may slip over if overtaking
    17% 33 votes
    Not really...
    45% 86 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

well if ur around the country side there only 2 types of drivers

ones drive too slow around 60-80 (which drive me nuts) or ones that drive 120) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

What are these speed limits which you speak of? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭chasm

ones drive too slow aroun 60-80 (which drive me nuts) :)

lol Regional and local speed limit is 80 though isnt it? ;)

i mean on 100 km roads...i dont think the 80km/100km speed limit makes any difference to any one around here :D

im not saying no one sticks to it...its just that majority tend to drive under or over ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

On motorways I will speed. On every other road I sick to the limit as practically add possible. I.e. add long add I'm aware what the limit is and keep enough of a close eye on the Speedo to make sure it different creep up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Got caught for speeding (115kph in an 80kph) last May and never want that embarrassment and sickening feeling again so I'll stick to whatever the limit is.
    Even if it feels redicuously slow for the road.
    I'm never exactly in a rush anywhere that going over the limit would make any difference anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭everyday taxi

Like most things in this country, its all a joke!! Dual carriageways with 50 and 60 kph speed limits in place (handy for the revenue racket), and boreens down the ass of the country with 80 and 100 kph limits. Its so fookin irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

ones drive too slow aroun 60-80 (which drive me nuts) or ones that drive 120) :)

Def like that in Ros anyways! ha

well id rather speed over a bit and keep me eyes on the road rather looking at the speedo all the time...i drive a well kept car with capability of stopping adequately...the only reason i would ever crash ( in my opinion ) is cause of other people on the road...people pulling out without even looking where they going...its a disgrace...sorry if i sound feminist but 90% of them are female!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

If I agree with it, yup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

Too many slow drivers on the road anyway!

I never speed near schools or housing estates etc but I will hold a steady 140Kph on the motor way & only move out to the outside lane when I need to pass.

I reckon I drive under the limit on the roads where my parents live in Tipperary & that's because they say 100Kph on little windy roads that two small cars can't pass each other without coming to a stop 1st.

I find this amazing considering the ridiculous 80Kph signs I see on some stretches of Motorway with 3 lanes sometimes.

Without going off subject & I'm sure it's been discussed a thousand times but that can only mean one thing. Speed limits clearly are not for our safety, they're simply to generate revenue! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

people pulling out without even looking where they going...its a disgrace...sorry if i sound feminist but 90% of them are female!!!

I think sexist is the word you are looking for there :D

as for me, I try to stick to it as much as possible, sometimes when driving from my hometown in monaghan to where my girlfriends parents live in Sligo (countryside) I have to switch from miles to Km a few times and then I go from a nice road on a 100km an hour limit to a pretty good road with an 80km an hour limit and I sometimes forget that I should only be doing 80km/h. I try to get back to the limit as quick as safely possible when I realise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 bernadette11

well id rather speed over a bit and keep me eyes on the road rather looking at the speedo all the time...i drive a well kept car with capability of stopping adequately...the only reason i would ever crash ( in my opinion ) is cause of other people on the road...people pulling out without even looking where they going...its a disgrace...sorry if i sound feminist but 90% of them are female!!!
    Hi,
    I agree that crashes are only EVER caused by "other peoples carelessness", I know - I've had three!!! AND the last one left me disabled. I have always been quite a good driver, however (and I'm honestly not into feminism here guys!), they were ALL male drivers!!! :(

I am a slow, careful driver - always have been. Speed KILLS and DISABLES.... like the old saying goes:
    "I never thought that would happen to me :(

ones drive too slow aroun 60-80 (which drive me nuts) or ones that drive 120) :)
    Hey hold on there guys! Please don't forget 2 very important things if considering driving 120 or over... I am young and I am now DISABLED because of a speeding driver! I am somebody's friend / sister / auntie and lots of other things, what if it was your mum or your sister / niece? The reality is this: Speed KILLS and DISABLES. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I'm genuinely curious.

I don't speed. But I get tailgated EVERYWHERE. And I'm on the limit. Not 20km below it. And my speedo is definitely functional. It may be due to my small car.

Poll to follow.

do you move over to allow faster traffic to pass you (when you can)
    Do you realise your speedo is probably over-reading by about 10%? (most are)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Hey hold on there guys! Please don't forget 2 very important things if considering driving 120 or over... I am young and I am now DISABLED because of a speeding driver! I am somebody's friend / sister / auntie and lots of other things, what if it was your mum or your sister / niece? The reality is this: Speed KILLS and DISABLES. :(

Sorry for your trouble Bernadette. However it isn't speed alone that kills, it's speed and alcahol or speed and bad driving or speed and drugs or speed and bravado or speed and a blowout (etc). What speed DOES do is to multiply the effects of an incident.

The limits as they are are way too high for some (MANY) drivers and should be set for the lowest common denominator (ie to restrain the problem drivers). All vehicles should have speed limiters fitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I'm usually too drunk to notice what speed I'm doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

poll needs further option of "never"

• Registered Users Posts: 45,374 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

used to speed all the time, but now I pretty much never speed. Main reason is cheapness - costs me less fuel to drive at the speed limit. It would save even more money if I drove at a speed under the speed limit but I can't bring myself to do that.

Also, i would generally never get near the 80kph speed limit on backroads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Absurdum wrote: »
    I'm usually too ***** to notice what speed I'm doing.

Please have some respect and remove that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

corktina wrote: »
    do you move over to allow faster traffic to pass you (when you can)
    Do you realise your speedo is probably over-reading by about 10%? (most are)

Yes and yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

As the road and conditions dictate. I dont think I would really drive any different in a world without speed limits. I drive slow in towns and bad roads and bad weather and faster in open stretches.

Generally I find joe public drives faster than me through roundabouts, towns, and on bendy crappy roads and I drive faster than them where there is much lesser chance of incident. Due to the nature of speed enforcement, people are conditioned to drive slower on safer roads and faster on unsafe roads, which is something I credit the RSA with.

Hitting a kid at a slow 35mph in a town is still going to kill them, its worse to be that driver (which is nearly all drivers) than the one "speeding" at 160kph on a largely empty motorway IMO.
    Hi,
    I agree that crashes are only EVER caused by "other peoples carelessness", I know - I've had three!!! AND the last one left me disabled. I have always been quite a good driver, however (and I'm honestly not into feminism here guys!), they were ALL male drivers!!! :(
    What age are you and where have you been driving that you have been in three car crashes? No one in my household has been in any and between 2 of us, do just under 1500km a week. Now Im not infallible, but my approach to not being in crashes is simple, dont drive near other drivers. If you still crash, then its prolly the drivers fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Matt Simis wrote: »
    As the road and conditions dictate. I dont think I would really drive any different in a world without speed limits. I drive slow in towns and bad roads and bad weather and faster in open stretches.

Generally I find joe public drives faster than me through roundabouts, towns, and on bendy crappy roads and I drive faster than them when there is much lesser chance of incident.

Hitting a kid at slow 35mph in a town is still going to kill them, its worse to be that driver (which is nearly all drivers) than the one "speeding" at 160kph on a largely empty motorway IMO.
    +1, although i'd probably drive faster on motorways were it not for the threat of speed checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I agree with Matt ... too many people drive like lunatics in urban areas or on narrow rural roads. Those are the places where the cops should be pulling drivers for speeding. If people actually used their mirrors and indicators properly on motorways there would only be accidents caused by breakdowns, blowouts etc.

I generally drive at the limit in London and where I live, but go over the limit on the A21 (dual carriageway that puts some motorways to shame) and the M25 ...

Motorways, if properly designed with long on and off ramps, good road surface and gentle corners etc, should have very high speed limits with penalties for going too slow in the overtaking lane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Hey hold on there guys! Please don't forget 2 very important things if considering driving 120 or over... I am young and I am now DISABLED because of a speeding driver! I am somebody's friend / sister / auntie and lots of other things, what if it was your mum or your sister / niece? The reality is this: Speed KILLS and DISABLES.

I am genuinely sorry for what happened to you.
    However, slow does not automatically mean safe and fast does not automatically mean unsafe.
    My father is an extremely slow driver (he used to be faster) who will drive everywhere at 60 km/h, block people from overtaking, speed up when they do, if his phone rings he will stamp on the brakes and pull over without warning to take the call and once on the motorway he pulled into a petrol station at full speed and drove through it because he thought it was the off ramp!
    The actual off ramp was directly behind the petrol station.
    My GF refuses to get into the car with him and insist I drive.
    And I'm no slouch, I have done 230 km/h on the German Autobahn (legal) and I believe that you can do 140 km/h all day long on the Irish Motorways if the conditions are right and it won't be any more dangerous than knitting.
    Inappropriate Speed Kills.
    Going too fast for the conditions, not reading the road ahead (most Irish drivers are incapable of it), bald tires, alcohol, fatigue, overconfidence, etc...
    Simply saying speed kills and everyone should go at 30 km/h everywhere is not the key to safer motoring.
    Also ,if you're driving everywhere at very slow speeds you will simply provoke other drivers into dangerous manoeuvres to pass you out, this will increase the chances of an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I tend to drive at a speed that I'm comfortable with be it over or below the limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Hi,

To be pedantic about it, each accident consisted of one male and one female driver. That's a fifty-fifty split.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

On roads like the old N4 I go 100 if I can. I dont mind doing 80 if I get stuck behind someone doing it. All genuine regional roads (not old N roads downgraded because of tolls) then I stick under the speed limit. Sure there usually isnt a chance to get up to the limit for more then half the journey.

Motorways I go 120 to 140.

All speedo speeds.

With regards to the speedo being wrong according to my satnav 120 is something near 110-115. Im going close to 130 to get a satnav reading of 120.

Someone I know was giving out about some trucks whoring it down the old N4 at 100 and tailgating her very closely for about 10 miles. They went into a Garda station to complain and he said that the speed limit of the road was in fact 100. It seems even the local guards dont know the speed limits of the roads.

• Advertisement

sat nav doesnt provide an 100% accurate speed reading btw...

its always off by 5-20 kmph depending on the coverage of the satellites

Advertisement