Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Like Seafood?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

phill106 wrote: »
    I like it generally, but good lord, who decided oysters was to be considered food. Cold slimy snot!ugh!

Oysters are the only type of fish I don't get. They're way to salty. Not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

can't do shell fish, but I like lobster and crab.
    Don't like calamari and squid, have tried it a few times.
    Love salmon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Id eat the odd fish finger and bag of scampi fries but I usually dont each such posh food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭lemonjelly

I love most fish but not them giant sea insects like lobster and crab etc....disgusting bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

FearDark wrote: »
    Id eat the odd fish finger and bag of scampi fries but I usually dont each such posh food.

Scampi fries are posh food. They look down on crisps & corn snacks like they are peasants.

Condescending scampi fcukers.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

seafood is great but only for those with courage and a thirst for adventure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Scampi fries are posh food. They look down on crisps & corn snacks like they are peasants.

Condescending scampi fcukers.:mad:

They have their uses. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I used to love seafood til i ate a batch of 'blown' crab claws at a restaurant in the West of Ireland some years ago.

Hosed out loose beef stew and rusty water for 3 days.

Hole burned off me.

Never since:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I really dislike like the texture/consistency of what I've tried so far, and not thrilled about the taste either. The one time I tried prawns I had to spit it out, it reminded me of chewing worms or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I love all fish, and especially oysters.

But these have been spoiled for me by the fashion for farmed oysters, which are Pacific Oysters (the big oval ones with the very rocky-looking shell) rather than the native oysters (the little round ones with a smoother shell). If I eat the Pacific ones I get food poisoning - six hours afterwards I start vomiting and getting diarrhoea. Every time. And it's really hard to get the native oysters.

Fish is primarily what made us humans, according to some nutritional archaologists. Every single early human settlement ever discovered is by the sea or on an alluvial delta, and surrounded by middens filled with seashells from the fish that our ancestors ate. These provided the complex amino acids that formed the huge brain that's the cause of our success, and probably most of our trouble too.

http://archaeology.about.com/od/boneandivory/a/shellmidden.htm
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/08/990827152557.htm

Fish is still essential in our diets - look at this BBC piece about schoolchildren whose behaviour changed when fish oil was added to their diet:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2005/jul/17/medicineandhealth.food

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

I really dislike like the texture/consistency of what I've tried so far, and not thrilled about the taste either. The one time I tried prawns I had to spit it out, it reminded me of chewing worms or something.

Have you ever tried eating worms? Totally different to Prawns*

*but equally lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Yes, except for some very smelly or weird types of seafood. I don't need to be chewing on tentacles, thank you very much. Sushi is great, and I make my own sometimes, though I use smoked fish. (Selecting fresh raw fish for sushi is a job for a professional - don't guess! Some friends of mine made themselves very ill this way, last year.)

It's possible to go a bit too far, though. I was in Spain with friends last month, and we went to La Hacienda, a Michelin-starred restaurant near Marbella. I ordered the Tartare of Sea Bream as a starter: raw, finely-chopped fish. Not bad, just boring, even with a mustard marinade and radicchio to liven it up.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

No can't stand it. I can't handle the smell of it and the look of it... I know its weird! I'm just very sensitive to strong scents and I won't eat anything that doesn't have a nice appearance!
    I feel its like murder if you kill them in the sea..they belong in the sea the sea creatures of the deep deep blue sea is where they should be! I was scarred for life when I saw an octopus on seseme street...that put me off fish all together! Had nightmares after it as a child! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I don't like eating octopussess because they are clever. And chewey. I do like calamari though. Crab claws can be a bit of a pain to eat sometimes, but the meat is nice. Dublin bay prawns are also nyom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just had some nice Coley for my dinner there, have never had it before but it was fantastic:), now where did i put that bottle of Red i brought earlier:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

As long as it doesn't have bones in it when I'm trying to eat, it's ok.
    Can't stand mussels though :confused:
    Or cold salmon. Baked fillet of salmon is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

Fcuk Yeah!

Seafood Fettucini in Cape Town - still the nicest food I've ever had;)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

quite partial to fried squid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

would eat most fish but not octopusses they are so cute and smart whilst diving have met a few and the baby ones will play with you hide and seek and jump about ssososo cute ! love them could never eat one :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Seafood make me turn green!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

WindSock wrote: »
    What is it that puts people off it?

It's because we used to be devout Cat-Lickers. Plenty of people are still terrified of anything that wasn't edible on Fridays.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Awaits barrage of gee jokes...
    Hah. You didn't see the following coming:
    I love sea food. I see food and I eat it.
    You can thank me later for cracking you up.

I lived by the sea for many years and disliked fish until recently. I think it was the smell that put me off initially when I was a wee lad.
    You're male?
    There may have been an imposter at the last mods beers I attended.

Aidric wrote: »
    Love all types of seafood and would eat fish at least once a week.
    Halibut & Monkfish are devine.
    I once had some halibut. Got me stoned.

I'm partial to some smoked cod
    , however, I don't really like salmon.
    Yep. I come from the town of the Leixlip and I don't like salmon or guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I can't eat shellfish because of religous beliefs.

Wait thats not right , I can , I love all types of seafood.

My faourite being a bit of rainbow trout with a hint of garlic.

I wonder does rainbow trout like meat.

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Irish people don't seem to be too keen on seafood. It's really strange, considering we're surrounded by sea. I like all kinds of fish, but not too keen on mussels, clams etc. I like crab and lobster though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I love most types of fish/shellfish... Salmon, tuna, anchovies, prawns, mackerel, cod, hake, lobster, calamari... It's all good.

And +1 to whoever mentioned sushi. It's one of my favourite things to eat, although I haven't had it many times. Om nom.

Advertisement