Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your first mobile?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

My first was a Siemens S4 Power. That was a kick ass phone back in 1996!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I got my first phone in 1995, and all I remembered was that it was a Nokia on Orange in the UK. Finally found it: a Nokia 2140 a.k.a. Nokia Orange. The retractable antenna broke in half at one point, but it didn't do anything bad to the reception.

I only fully realised how good it was five years later, when I replaced it with a Motorola Timeport L7089 that gave me all kinds of trouble and looked like crap after a month in my pocket. It was so depressing that I actually closed the account, and didn't carry a mobile for the next few years. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 14,686 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

mine was a Philips..an amazing lil weapon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

My first was a Motorolla Brick ™ back in 1997. It was one of those "Ready to go" dealies which they launched in stores like Xtra-Vision and Chartbusters. Monster of a thing on the 088 network......Oh, bad times! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Ericsson 628. Most of it was battery. Used to cut out all the time until one day I bounced it off the living room wall. Then it worked fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

My first one was a Nokia 3210 i think, it was indestructable!

It's hard to comprehend that in 1995 a mobile phone was a thing of science fiction. How far we've come in 15 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

'97 Panasonic, like a J series, buttons on the back, second hand, pull out aerial, brick shaped, big, battery last about 6-8 hours and you had to have another battery charging at home during the day so you could use it in the afternoon, then charge the first battery overnight so you had a phone to use the following morning, dont think it did texts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Phillips Diga :eek:
    http://www.richardsradios.co.uk/phildiga.html

Still around the house somewhere i think, The kids use the old Trium and StarTak as toys lol

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

Used to use my parents Siemens C25 or somethin.
    Then got my very own Nokia 3330 for Xmas or somethin when I was bou ten or eleven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

What a great question. Nostalgia, eh? Nothing like it around today.

My first ever mobile featured aeroplanes and helicopters and it played Rock A Bye Baby. Ah, memories..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Podgoricka

Nostalgia is right... eh mine was a nokia 3330.. it was great.. it had wap and that was feckin unreal at the time.. a yeah... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Mine was an Ericsson T28 which I got off my mother when she upgraded, around 2002. Soon after I got a Nokia 3310.

I still have the Ericsson lying about somewhere, I loved that phone. It had the best games ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Some beast of a Motorola that had an antaenna the size of the Spire on it

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

my first phone was the Philips Savvy. two lines of text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Nokia 3210.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

Siemens C10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

nokia 3210 :D

i miss snake!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Mine was a mitsubishi

trium aria, weight was 90grams, still have it, still works

http://www.gsmarena.com/mitsubishi_trium_aria-60.php

mitsibishi trium ftw!

sometimes i had to bounce it off the ground to get it to come on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

theteal wrote: »
    mitsibishi trium ftw!

My sister had one of them and it was haunted. It would sometimes ring people of it's own accord - it would just be lying there, nobody near it and all of a sudden start ringing someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

I had a siemans m35, great phone and wish I still had it. It was basic but did the job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

First analague (088) 1995 Mobile was an NEC P100. Phone was a dinasore with poor battery life, a double battery charger was an optional extra.

First Digital phone 1999 was a Nokia 5110 which I gave to the old man a few years ago because it was easy to use and he wouldn't know how to use texts, phone still works and have it as a back up..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Nokia 3210.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

theteal wrote: »
    mitsibishi trium ftw!

AIB had them for opening student account when I went to college. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Siemens C35, thought I was the ****, too bad none of my friends had a phone at the time so I spent most of my time texting my mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Siemens C10. Still have it, still works,tho I had to replace the cells in the battery

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Panasonic GD-52. Thought I was the shizzle when I got it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Philips Savvy,
    http://www.cellink.com.au/products/index.php?cPath=220_231&osCsid=5333dd217d...?ref=klasshop.com

Most of the mobiles mentioned here caused me no end of stress. There were the 'new' models when I started working with Eircell in 1999.

The 088 ones were pretty ok, but once you get onto the 1st Motorolla 087 GSM ones that's when the problems started.

I remember spending 2 weeks in January doing the post x-mas ready to go returns, I had atleast 50 of each faulty model packed up in shopping baskets ready for collection. Star-tec was the worst by far, we stopped opening them and settting them up as you were guarenteed the 1st 3 would be DOA. 1st x-mas the 3310 came out, half our x-mas supply was faulty.

Oh the joys of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 olgis

Nokia 3210, what a phone..

Panasonic GD-50 on Digifone. Didn't really want a phone at the time but it was bought for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭matamoros1965

I paid £900 for a Mitsubishi 088 in 1990 from a phone shop in Clonskeagh, I have been a customer of Eircell/Vodafone since then. My first call was from my Dad to ask me to get some milk on the way home! I must have been the only eejit who wasn't in business to have one, another one of those what was I thinking moments, always fascinated by the idea of making a call from more or less anywhere.

Advertisement