Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad replacement words

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Saft Hans

My friend always pronounces "Oprah" as "Opera". So I'm always hearing about her watching Opera on TV3 and all the guests Opera had on and Opera's put on weight again.:mad:

Oh and why do people say festibal instead of festival? And medcin instead of medicine?? And tremenjous instead of tremendous??? It's madness!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Sangwich for sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

"We'll come to that bridge when we cross it"

Love that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I remember the one that inspired me to begin this thread!

Learning curb

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

A mate of mine says he gets "flustrated".......maybe he is indeed both flustered and frustrated simultaneously!

their and there are regular ones on boards

Double-negatives are the ones that really get me in Ireland,e.g. when someone does something "without impunity", or when I'm asked "if I'm not going out tonight", I never know which to answer : in reality, "No" means I am going out, and "Yes" means "You're correct - I'm not going out tonight", but to avoid confusion I have to consciously use the word "Yes" for "No", and vice-versa!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    A mate of mine says he gets "flustrated".......maybe he is indeed both flustered and frustrated simultaneously!

Double-negatives are the ones that really get me in Ireland,e.g. when someone does something "without impunity", or when I'm asked "if I'm not going out tonight", I never know which to answer : in reality, "No" means I am going out, and "Yes" means "You're correct - I'm not going out tonight", but to avoid confusion I have to consciously use the word "Yes" for "No", and vice-versa!

I think it's so cool there's a german word for that, "doch". We should have one.
    But yeah the only way to answer a negative question is with a statement ;s "are you not giong out tonight" "I am going out tonight"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

A good few years ago my dad was having a look at my sister's wedding presents and said while picking up a set of John Rocha glasses - "Jaysus would you look at those fancy Simon le Bon glasses".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Preturbed! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I used to say bolgonese instead of bolognese for years!

Damn Mammy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

In the RTE report about boy racer culture.

Some aul fella from a clerical background -

"Ah they do all be in the carparks at night, doing their buns and doughnuts"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Liam Byrne wrote: »

No problem with the double negatives for me.
    At least English is logical in that sense. Two negatives make a positive as confusing as it may be to remember how many negatives are in a sentence and therefore the message.

But in French/Italian/Spanish its not always the case.

Damn Romance languages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Had a customer start their email with 'Firstable' instead of 'First of all'.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

I hear a lot of people saying "volka" meaning vodka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Medcin is correct, as is Garthee (if you're pronouncing the 'th' as the broad-syllable 'd' in Irish). But I hate it when people pronounce Louth and Meath with a soft 'th' rather than the hard sound that's correct.

Love Sarah Palinsms: refudiate for repudiate/refute:

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/sarahpalin/a/palinisms.htm

Another beauty from that page:
    "Shoot, I must have lived such a doggoned sheltered life as a normal, independent American up there in the Last Frontier, schooled with only public education and a lowly state university degree, because obviously I haven't learned enough to dismiss common sense." --Sarah Palin, on opposition to offshore oil drilling, Facebook note, June 13, 2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Here's one for the midlanders on boards ..... Port-leash or Port-leash-EH ?

And to follow up on an earlier poster's Charlie Hockey, don't get me started on the lazy English (UK ?) commentators with their Ken Docker-T and Donnerka O Caller-gann & Tom-ass O'Leary, or the pundits and players' penchant for using "was" everywhere, whether it's "I was", "We was" or "They was"......

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Its funny how so many people can get common phrases wrong...

I mean its not rocket surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

You guys would love Trailer Park Boys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

Haha brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

sheside for seaside :o

sacket for sachet :rolleyes::o - I ve said this for years and its just stuck no matter what anyone says lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭HorsesNHarleys

I used to date a guy that when we disagreed on something he'd say "What exactly are you preferring to"....it was just so darn hard to keep a straight face when he'd say it, I'd have to turn my head away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Soswozere

instead of "chimney", saying chimley, and even chimbley :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

A man I worked with once accused someone of "casting asparagus" we assumed he meant casting aspersions.

Same man, "your point is mute."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I had a huge row with a mate when I said something about a staple diet. She insisted there was no such thing and I meant a stable diet. I still think I was right, but she made some pretty good points.

Best one was "why the hell would they be eating staples???"

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Kimia wrote: »
    It should be 'head honcho', as in the boss or whatever.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=head%20poncho

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭CorsetIsTight

These are typed ones I've seen...

"Here, here", when what they mean is "hear, hear".

"Wallah", when what they mean is "voila".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

It bugs when people say "on the count of" in sentences like "He didn't see it on the count of having to go away at the time," because it means they're adapting "on a count of" which is the wrong way to say "on account of." It's, like, one whole other thing past wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

<No text speak please/biko>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I knew a girl who thought the line "like a death-row pardon, two minutes too late" in Alanis Morrisettes Ironic, was actually "death-row hard-on". She had an argument for it too, that male prisoners get a hard-on when they're executed. One of the lads downloaded the word for the song and she told him he must have edited it to prove her wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

"Wallah", when what they mean is "voila".

Or viola instead of voila.

A woman once described something to me as 'scarifying', presumably a mix of scary and terrifying. Although I can kind of forgive her since English wasn't her first language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

I got a sub in subway once and asked for jalapenos on my roll. I pronounced it correctly but the woman serving me corrected me on how to say it by deliberately saying it back to me with a "j" sound instead of a "h" sound. It was tough not to laugh in her face but i will never do that to someone who is making my food (at least until they hand it over! :D)

Advertisement