Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad replacement words

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Dean09 wrote: »
    Cloak and Daggers ;)

The original Bertieism was in relation to deferring his pension and he said "playing smokes and daggers" so as well as the cloak and mirrors he may actually have been thinking of snakes and ladders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

The original Bertieism was in relation to deferring his pension and he said "playing smokes and daggers" so as well as the cloak and mirrors he may actually have been thinking of snakes and ladders.

Also, :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

When talking about Irish politics in the early eighties , english news readers used to talk about "Charles Hock-ey.....the Irish Tea-Shop"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Scarydoll

Keithm89 wrote: »
    Up on a pedal stool... :)

You got that from the IT Crowd. Don't lie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Scarydoll wrote: »
    You got that from the IT Crowd. Don't lie.

Dont be such a damp squid :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Kimia wrote: »
    Also, :confused::confused::confused:

I'll explain. This is from the Independent, November 6th 2007, and is the origin of the phrase "smokes and daggers".
    Creating another so-called "Bertie-ism" to add to the list, Mr Ahern mangled his metaphors once again by saying deferring the payments would be "only be playing smokes and daggers".

Now, most people think that he confused "smoke and mirrors" and "cloak and dagger". I'm suggesting that he might have really had a three-way mix-up with "snakes and ladders".

Hope that clarifies it!

Does the pope shlt in the woods?

Is the bear a catholic?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PostHack

foxyboxer wrote: »
    In Cork there was a church called "The Good Shepherds" who would take in orphans. It was a popular threat to children "Cop on, or I'll send ya to the Cuchepurds!" :D

Another Cork one was; "The doctor sent me up to the Iron Throat...."

As in, the Eye, Ear and Throat (hospital).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭D4NI3L88

Nearly almost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭lemonjelly

My girlfriend goes to the hair saloon :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Had a friend in england who would call spaghetti "biscetti".
    "catchup" instead of ketchup, I've heard so many people say this. Drives me up the wall.
    There's many more I can't think of...

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

Had a friend in england who would call spaghetti "biscetti".
    "catchup" instead of ketchup, I've heard so many people say this. Drives me up the wall.
    There's many more I can't think of...

Fun fact: When ketchup was first introduced to Britain, it went under a variety of different names: ketchup, catsup, catchup, etc. So it's not indefensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

sron wrote: »
    Fun fact: When ketchup was first introduced to Britain, it went under a variety of different names: ketchup, catsup, catchup, etc. So it's not indefensible.

Yeah but they mean to say ketchup, and say catch up. As in I'd say "you mean ketchup?" and they'd say "yeah, catchup." :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

On a kind of side-note, I really really hate it when a somebody (usually a news reporter) says Gardaí with a "th", like "Garthaí". WTF???:confused::confused::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ColaBeDamned

Malapropisms

Have a good example that I heard recently- someone describing a really skinny person as emancipated, instead of emaciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Dean09 wrote: »
    Well theres a song that I always sing and dunno the words, ye know the one

"my love has got no money, he's got his trombeleeze..."

WTF is a trombeleeze???!!!!!!:confused:
    THall04 wrote: »
    It's "Strong Beliefs"
    THANK you. No more shall I hear "humble niece."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

I was at an interview where the interviewer kept on saying "what are the primary tenants of..." instead of "what are the primary tenets of..."
    It took everything to stop myself correcting him, or (more politely?) give him a nonsensical but literal answer about tenants.

What was so infuriating was how he wrongly used the word so confidently.
    I mean seriously how do you confuse principles and people renting.

Yeah but they mean to say ketchup, and say catch up. As in I'd say "you mean ketchup?" and they'd say "yeah, catchup." :pac:

I say tomayto, you say tomahto.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I was at an interview where the interviewer kept on saying "what are the primary tenants of..." instead of "what are the primary tenets of..."
    It took everything to stop myself correcting him, or (more politely?) give him a nonsensical but literal answer about tenants.

What was so infuriating was how he wrongly used the word so confidently.
    I mean seriously how do you confuse principles and people renting.

Knowing me, I think I'd be sitting there twitching. I think I'd even risk the job because I'd have to correct him!!!
    Or just say "tenets" very clearly a few times in your reply... :pac:

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Or just say "tenets" very clearly a few times in your reply... :pac:

Yes actually that would be the best thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Brother if mine was a Garth Brooks fan (yeah i know) and one such song used to catch him was "I'm Shameless"
    My brother always thought he was singin "I'm Seamus" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

And I'd say he claimed for all of them.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭kilmuckridge

I have read about phparagus and blphphemy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Malapropisms

Have a good example that I heard recently- someone describing a really skinny person as emancipated, instead of emaciated

Ha! They are free to be extra skinny if they choose! Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

Our principal used to say 'to-s-evening' instead of this evening. It was so irritating!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Ricardo G wrote: »
    Brother if mine was a Garth Brooks fan (yeah i know) and one such song used to catch him was "I'm Shameless"
    My brother always thought he was singin "I'm Seamus" :D

You meam Garreth Brooooks surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

storm2811 wrote: »
    My geography teacher used to say pacific instead of specific,don't know if it was intentional though.

I sea what you did there!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I sea what you did there!

My mother always says "he's so impotent" about bad behaviour. I think she means impudent :confused:

Advertisement