Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preseason thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

eagle eye wrote: »
    So who is watching the game tonight?

I'm looking for big performances from Ron Brace, Damione Lewis, Tyrone McKenzie, Derrick Burgess and Dan Connolly on the OL.

I'd like to see Chris Taylor get some time with the firsts tonight, he looked really good last week but it was the second half against the backups.

I've been hearing loads of good stuff about Brandon Deaderick too so gonna watch out for him.

Welker is dressed by the way.

Lewis isn't kitting up. He hasn't practiced all week. Previews don't have him playing tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,191 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's the only one on tv tonight so I guess I'll HAVE to watch the pats :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lewis isn't kitting up. He hasn't practiced all week. Previews don't have him playing tonight.
    Forgot about him being out.

Wow a run heavy TD drive from the Patriots.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Freeze this moment in time -- Curtis Painter is on a perfect passer rating (after 3 attempts it must be said :D still, 82 yards and a TD). Good man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Well chuffed with Oakland's result against Dallas. Looks like we might have a Defense this year. Lamarr Houston looks the real deal. HOWEVER, improvements still need to happen on Offense. It still looks like the Passing Game is going to have issues. But the O-Line didnt give up many sacks so maybe Oakland QB's may actually get some time this year to look for their receivers.

Anyway roll on Chicago this weekend! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭me89

Good result last night and Great to see Welker back. Taylor, chung and the 3 TE stood out most for me last night. running game looks good

Ben Roethlisberger is on for the Steelers. Awesome, so almost three months from now, when he finally comes back, he'll ... have thrown a few snaps three months ago? Meanwhile Dixon or Leftwich are expected to assume the mantle of stand-in, whilst being totally undermined? Have the Steelers such little faith in their backup QB's, they're actually beginning their season from week 8?

Lol at the demise of this team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I realy like Dixon
    He lost to the Ravens on his only start but he did very well. Well, threw an interception in overtime but still, he is impressive for a first start
    The guy has a future in the NFL for sure.

And what gives, I pay money for Gamepass and I can't watch the Ravens but instead the game on is for the Steelers?? Booooooooo!

davyjose wrote: »
    Ben Roethlisberger is on for the Steelers. Awesome, so almost three months from now, when he finally comes back, he'll ... have thrown a few snaps three months ago? Meanwhile Dixon or Leftwich are expected to assume the mantle of stand-in, whilst being totally undermined? Have the Steelers such little faith in their backup QB's, they're actually beginning their season from week 8?

Lol at the demise of this team.
    His ban is likely to be reduced a lot. He is doing everything he is supposed to do and the fans have given him a positive reception in Pittsburgh so it might be 4 weeks or even less now.

Anyways its Favre we are all interested in now. Tomorrow night at midnight, I can't wait.

• Advertisement

I'm starting to feel sick watching the Bears.
    2nd pre-season game, I know, but we are absolutely shocking.

I haven't watched any Bears this preseason but its only preseason and its only early although they have a tough schedule this year facing the AFC East as part of it and of course their won division is very tough too with the Packers and Vikes.

I'm going watchig the Seahawks/Packers now, should be a very exciting with the firsts.

Well we improved after I posted earlier, all our o-lineman bar 1 are in new positions so I'll give them a chance..I could see a trade coming though for some help up front.

You could see the difference in Forte too, he's back to full health and busted off a nice 90 yard TD run!

Good to hear that about Forte.

I watched the first half of the Seahawks/Packers, very exciting stuff. Carroll has already worked his magic there. Deoin Branch seems better than he has been since he left the Patriots but even more startling is Mike Williams, the 10th pick in the 2005 NFL Draft out of USC who was a huge bust and hasn't played for over two years. The guy looks really talented and could end up being the no.1 yet ahead of Housh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ben Watson made a sensational one handed TD catch for the Browns, anybody see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Archimedes wrote: »
    Ben Watson made a sensational one handed TD catch for the Browns, anybody see it?

Very nice: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010082155/2010/PRE2/rams@browns/recap/full-story?module=HP_headlines#tab:watch

About 1:20 in.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,195 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So anybody else going watching the Vikings/49ers. I am really interested in this matchup, want to see if Favre is sharp after missing all of TC. I'm interested in how Alex Smith plays and want to get a look at second year pro Nate Davis. I'm wondering if he will be the no.2 in San Fran this year. And of course I wanna see what Crabtree looks like too.

And then on top of all that there is AP the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Well impressed with the Raiders on Saturday. Forte's run aside it was a good performance by the Defence. On the Offense, it looks more and more likely that Michael Bush is the first choice Running Back. :D

Just a heads up for those with ESPN, Colts - Packers game is live at 1am tonight.

• Advertisement

Didn;t see any of it but know Packers routed Colts 59-24. Score seems impressive. Anyone see it?

Didn;t see any of it but know Packers routed Colts 59-24. Score seems impressive. Anyone see it?

I saw the first half. Aaron Rodgers was insanely good. Ryan Grant also looked good, as did rookie safety Morgan Burnett.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Yeah, watched it. I'm very happy, as a packers fan, with the performance. Aaron Rodgers is just sensational, if he keeps his pre-season form up and improves on last season he is a definite shout for MVP. Finley also had an excellent game. Overall our WR corp put on a very good showing and that's without Jennings, our best WR. The O-line did a very good job as Rodgers never really looked in trouble.

Defence was ok, it did get beaten up quite a bit in first half when Colts first team was out which is worrying. I think our cornerbacks could be a weak area, although Woodson wasn't involved it must be said.

There is controversy about this new referee placement. For those who don't know, the main official instead of being behind the D-Line has moved to behind the O-line. The problem is it takes much longer for him to place the ball for a new down, which only he can do, and get into position. Manning was very pissed off and it had a, definite, detrimental effect on the Colts. It will affect anyone trying to execute a no huddle offence.

cooker3 wrote: »

There is controversy about this new referee placement. For those who don't know, the main official instead of being behind the D-Line has moved to behind the O-line.

Wasn't the White Cap (Main Ref) who was moved. It was the Umpire. The umpire is responsible for watching the linemen and that general area for holds etc etc. As he is also responsible for moving the ball yup it does slow it down for sure. I am not sure though he can see now what he used to be able to see when he was in among the defense.

Yeah, Manning was definitely pissed off, you could see it. The lads on ESPN were saying that as a QB, you either have to turn around and check that the umpire is in place before the ball can be snapped, or look the sideline for a signal. It's all a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

How are offenses going to rush to snap the ball to spike and stop the clock? And how about rush FGs?

Why did they make this change? Was it really needed?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    How are offenses going to rush to snap the ball to spike and stop the clock? And how about rush FGs?

It was down to safety. As an Umpire you stand in the thick of a defense and facing play.

Pherekydes wrote: »

It reverts back to the old way during the last 2 minutes of each half.

I wonder was Manning testing the waters a little. I find it hard to imagine he'll be giving away penalties like this rather than find a way around it.

The way i see it, nearly all the rule changes of late have been pro- the offense. it's no harm that the defense get the bounce of the ball, for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

• Advertisement

Mike Kafka, unbelievable stuff!

Eagles trail the Chiefs by 4 with 2 minutes left and all their timeouts used. Kafka takes them down the field, 80 yards in 1 minute 40 seconds without spiking the ball once. Unreal stuff, that guy has just won me some money :)

Advertisement