Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preseason thread

Options
  • 13-08-2010 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,755 ✭✭✭✭

Well I know you all know why I decided to start this thread now.:)

Anyways if you don't know, Patriots play the Saints tonight, well actually anytime now. I'm gonna watch that and then tune in to the Raiders and the Cowboys.

Really interested to see Jermaine Cunnigham who we really need to be really good from the get go. Lot of pressure on the young man. And Zoltan Mesko our new punter, reason being it was a huge weakness for us last year.

Spikes is supposed to be awesome and so is McKenzie so there is a real fight on for the middle linebacker spots. The tight ends are really exciting people too. And Devin McCourty who Belichick really seems to like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,755 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Superb defensive series for the Patriots and then Edelman catches the punt and brings it all the way back to the 16 yard line. Sweet start.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Stream?

DeAngelo "High" Williams and Jonathan "Voltage" Stewart.

lol

Edelman is so freakishly similar to Welker. He's having a great game.

A lot to be impressed with in that first half. Edelman stole the show for me, WW and Tate have a problem on their hands, one of them might not be a starter. Gronk looks like a superstar in the making. I was shocked how good the OL were. Green Ellis did well and I really loved Maroney's td.

Spikes, Gerard Warren and Chung really looked good on D but they all did. For me though the man that really made me happy was Marques Murrell, he was really good and in a position of real need for the Patriots.

• Advertisement

Delighted with the red zone work tonight on offence.

So uh, looks like we have a new punt/kick returner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,641 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Half time and the EAGLES are behind the Jags 17-16. Barring Vick forcing the pass and jeff owens getting called for illegal use of the hands I'm happy. I take the view it's preseason and mistakes will happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Useful site for NFL preseason schedules. Just indicate the week in the appropriate box and it posts that week's schedule.

Link: http://www.nfl.com/schedules

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

Ok I know I know "Its only the Pre-Season" but it looks like the Lions Defense may now have some teeth, getting serious pressure on Leftwich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Im happy enough with how the first half is going for the Bucs. However Josh Johnson looks woeful as a backup QB. Freeman looked good on his short drive, getting a TD with Stroughter.

Go Bucs!

EDIT: Pitch is in terrible condition! All muck where the baseball diamond is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

was at the pats and saints game the other night. my first live nfl game with my dad and friends was great craic definitely recomend it.

glad it was close at the end as i like both the pats and the saints, was a good enough game for preseason

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Had a look at the Eagles/Jags highlights & im glad Kolb looked strong & Vick reasonably so. Has to be offset by the Jags looking terrible in defence though.

Jordan Shipleys making some nice receptions for the Bengals. Big fan of his.

Shipley looks really good.

Its now Tebow time!

3 and out on his first drive in the pros but not his fault. He completed the first one, handoff on play 2 and then launches it downfield and the receiver doesn't complete the catch. Tebow looked good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

only saw highlights but Tebow looked like what he is a rookie, the TD run was nice the fumble that was ruled an incomplete pass not so nice, should have been int'd also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

bobby wade wrote: »
    only saw highlights but Tebow looked like what he is a rookie, the TD run was nice the fumble that was ruled an incomplete pass not so nice, should have been int'd also

Should've had a 60 yard TD pass too -- ifs and buts...

I thought he did reasonably well what was expected of him. he had a horrible sack, but all rookies do - he almost released it in time. He's an accurate passer, in and out of the pocket, and i think a lot more is being made of his mechanics than necessary. He'll be on the wrong end of a few sacks, but the guy is tough as nails too.

Reasonable start, IMO.

I'm watching the Giants/Jets stadium opener at the moment. Fellow Patriots I'm worried, Sanchez threw a bad interception early and that got me excited:D but since then he has looked really, really good:( and he is out of the game now. Braylon Edwards made some great catches and didn't drop any:( and their defense looked amazing including this new corner Kyle Wilson:(

All I can say is thankfully its only preseason so hopefully this all goes bad for them before the real stuff starts.

On the other side of the ball one of my draft binkies Jason Pierre Paul looked really good for the Jets although he did got caught by a hard count and jumped early on one occasion.

All change in the New Meadowlands, Jim Sorgi having a superb game for the Giants and rookie Victor Cruz a UDFA out of UMass is going to be fighting hard for a spot on the Giants roster.

• Advertisement

Cruz looked good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm watching the Giants/Jets stadium opener at the moment. Fellow Patriots I'm worried, Sanchez threw a bad interception early and that got me excited:D but since then he has looked really, really good:( and he is out of the game now. Braylon Edwards made some great catches and didn't drop any:( and their defense looked amazing including this new corner Kyle Wilson:(

Its pre-season though and how many players have performed fantastically in pre-season only to suck in the regular season when the real pressure is on. Pre-season in any sport in my mind is nothing more than a warm up and to test new blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Cruz made some great catches.
    6 catchs, 145 yards and 3 scores.

Ok, he may be on a pre season wonder and do nothing in the regular season, nobody can predict yet.

But I love to see undrafted free agents get a shot. Warms the heart :)
    And a nice story, grew up just a few miles from the stadium.

If he get cut by the Giants I think someone will pick him up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Leinart or Anderson?

Watched an interview there with Leinart.
    Guy shows so little self confidence, not something you want to see.
    He wasn't always like this, almost feel sorry for him

Leinart may be starter by Week 1 but I think he'll lose it

Cruz made some great catches.
    6 catchs, 145 yards and 3 scores.

Ok, he may be on a pre season wonder and do nothing in the regular season, nobody can predict yet.

But I love to see undrafted free agents get a shot. Warms the heart :)
    And a nice story, grew up just a few miles from the stadium.

If he get cut by the Giants I think someone will pick him up

great performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Ouch, poor ol'Eli

Granted i didnt see it live and only in slow mo, but surely Pace should have been flagged for the late/dirty hit!

In slow mo, you can clearly see him make the hit and quickly turn around because he knew the ball was long gone before he made the hit.

From this angle and full pace it is hard to know what Pace saw and how long he had to react to it. He had commit just as Eli lost the ball.

Looking at it again Pace has every right to hit Manning as the ball is still live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

From this angle and full pace it is hard to know what Pace saw and how long he had to react to it. He had commit just as Eli lost the ball.

Looking at it again Pace has every right to hit Manning as the ball is still live.

Your video is a lot better. The angle at 1:20 shows a good picture, although Pace does know the ball is loose when he's about to hit Eli, he doesnt know Eli wont regain control of it, becos for a sec it looks like Eli is going to catch it again, just before he gets hit.

I do reiterate "Ouch" tho

Hazys wrote: »
    Your video is a lot better. The angle at 1:20 shows a good picture, although Pace does know the ball is loose when he's about to hit Eli, he doesnt know Eli wont regain control, becos for a sec it looks like Eli is going to catch it again.

I do reiterate "Ouch" tho

Yup defo but either way as the ball is a fumble and still live Pace has every right to layeth the smacketh downeth on Eli :D And as you said especially if he is not sure Eli can get it again best to make that hit anyways. That cut on Eli's head looked fairly deep. Say it hurt like a mother trucker.

• Advertisement

So who is watching the game tonight?

I'm looking for big performances from Ron Brace, Damione Lewis, Tyrone McKenzie, Derrick Burgess and Dan Connolly on the OL.

I'd like to see Chris Taylor get some time with the firsts tonight, he looked really good last week but it was the second half against the backups.

I've been hearing loads of good stuff about Brandon Deaderick too so gonna watch out for him.

Welker is dressed by the way.

Advertisement