Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*$*$* CAO offers - how they work *$*$*

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 SEInvincible

All we do is accept the course on CAO.ie , right? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

All we do is accept the course on CAO.ie , right? :D

Yup, click accept and await confirmation emails and registration packs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭kingsley16

i didn't get any CAO offers cause i failed maths and all my courses required maths. i really want to go to college, so what are my options of getting there now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 aimzxx

you should have done the special maths exam in limrick my boyfriend did it and now has his course!! id say ur best bet is repeat!sorry..

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Do a Fetac course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

OK, I received an offer for my first choice in yesterday's second round offers. Great. However, I'd never been going to college until next year, and had always intended to defer my place. I understand I must write to the admissions office of the HEI in question and explain my case and request the deferral, and this letter must reach them two days before the closing date for accepting offers. (8th September, next Wednesday). Now with the weekend coming and such, and without having sent it yet, I think the earliest it'll get there is Tuesday. Too late.

Anyone know what I can do?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Mo14 wrote: »
    OK, I received an offer for my first choice in yesterday's second round offers. Great. However, I'd never been going to college until next year, and had always intended to defer my place. I understand I must write to the admissions office of the HEI in question and explain my case and request the deferral, and this letter must reach them two days before the closing date for accepting offers. (8th September, next Wednesday). Now with the weekend coming and such, and without having sent it yet, I think the earliest it'll get there is Tuesday. Too late.

Anyone know what I can do?

Draft the letter, and get it in the post ASAP. Ring the admissions office of the college on Monday, explain the situation, and tell them that you can send on an email copy of the letter in the meantime. The fact they didn't physically receive the letter in the post shouldn't make any difference as long as they have its contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 caz2580

Can anyone help me? the course i wanted was 310 points and i got 305. It didnt go down in points in the second round but i already no 6 people who got offered it and didnt accept ? It didnt have a * beside it either so everyone that wanted it in first round with 310 obviously got in . Im kind of confussed ?

caz2580 wrote: »
    Can anyone help me? the course i wanted was 310 points and i got 305. It didnt go down in points in the second round but i already no 6 people who got offered it and didnt accept ? It didnt have a * beside it either so everyone that wanted it in first round with 310 obviously got in . Im kind of confussed ?

Do you know for sure that those people were offered it, not just that they had it somewhere on their CAO? Maybe give the college or CAO a ring and see if they'll tell you if there'll be 3rd round offers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Sometimes colleges will issue more offers than they actually have places, on the assumption that a certain percentage will not accept (they base this estimate on non-acceptances in previous years).

Given that there was an abnormally high level of acceptances this year, it is perfectly possible that although some people did not accept their offers the course is still full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Can anyone enlighten me as to how these work?

There doesn't seem to be any dates set out by the cao. Does this mean that offers in any rounds still to come will be done on an individual basis and hence could be received at any time (within reason) ?

More or less, yes.

There are only 2 formal rounds, 1 and 2, but if there are still vacant places on courses after Round 2 they may be offered to the next qualified applicants on the list. This will be done as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 pinkygal

You can only be offered another place in the second round if you have accepted the first offer that you received. If you didn't accept first time, you won't get another offer. When you accept your 2nd round offer the first acceptance is cancelled out. Also when you receive your LC results You have to meet the uni requirements before the points. Colleges look at grades, CAO calculates your max points.

pinkygal wrote: »
    You can only be offered another place in the second round if you have accepted the first offer that you received. If you didn't accept first time, you won't get another offer.

I'm fairly sure you can be offered a second round offer even if you didn't take what was given to you in the first round, as long as it was higher up on your CAO.

You can only be offered another place in the second round if you have accepted the first offer that you received. If you didn't accept first time, you won't get another offer.
    Completely incorrect.

Please read the first post in this thread. It's even underlined, as this is a prevalent myth.

You can only get an offer of a place which was higher on your preference list, and you're not guaranteed that such a place will become available. If it does, however, you will be offered it whether you accepted your first offer or not.

Completely incorrect.

Please read the first post in this thread. It's even underlined, as this is a prevalent myth.

You can only get an offer of a place which was higher on your preference list, and you're not guaranteed that such a place will become available. If it does, however, you will be offered it whether you accepted your first offer or not.

Actually smartass, send an email to the CAO they'll tell you that I'm right. So get your facts straight before messing with me! got it?

Actually smartass, send an email to the CAO they'll tell you that I'm right. So get your facts straight before messing with me! got it?

:eek: He's a mod, and pretty much an expert on the CAO having given advice to LC students for years.

You can DEFINITELY be offered a second round offer, no matter whether you got a first and took it, didn't take it, didn't get offered a first, anything. A second round offer has nothing to do with a first round offer, as long as it is above what you've been offered before on your CAO.

So get your own facts straight before giving incorrect advice to people in a stressful situation.

They've changed it since this year. my Friend left her first offer and was told by the next highest college that she would get an offer. this came out in her post but the cao wouldn't allow her to accept it. they told her as she hadn't accepted her first offer she missed the second round one. Not my fault i'm just saying what I know

And you can have an infraction for that piece of rudeness.

You are expected to be civil to all users around here, whether they are users, mods or admins, and indeed whether they are right or not. Got it?

Furthermore, if you actually read the first post, you would have seen that this quote:
    Later offers for higher preference

If you are being offered a place in a course which is not your first preference, you may subsequently be offered a place in a course of higher preference if such a place becomes available.

This applies whether or not the earlier offer has been accepted. It is NOT necessary to accept an offer in order to be considered for a higher preference if it becomes available later. There is no guarantee, of course, that a higher preference will become available.
    was pasted *directly* from the CAO handbook (page 22) and the link was even given in the post to the online version of the handbook.
    They've changed it since this year.
    No, they haven't, it was the exact same situation last year.
    my Friend left her first offer and was told by the next highest college that she would get an offer. this came out in her post but the cao wouldn't allow her to accept it. they told her as she hadn't accepted her first offer she missed the second round one. Not my fault i'm just saying what I know
    I have no idea what exactly the situation was with your friend, but either you or she is incorrect in thinking that the CAO wouldn't let her accept her second offer because she didn't accept her first.

For that matter, it is the CAO who would be making second round offers, not the college directly ... there's definitely more to this story than is described here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Pinkygal has posted incorrect information on a number of threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,580 ✭✭✭✭klose

I'm taking a year out and re-applying next year for college. Do I keep my cao number+password for next year or do I get a new one? Will i havta get into contact with the school if so? Thanks!

I'm taking a year out and re-applying next year for college. Do I keep my cao number+password for next year or do I get a new one? Will i havta get into contact with the school if so? Thanks!
    You start a new CAO application just like this year that has to be in before February 2011. It will give you a new CAO number and the only difference is you tick the box that says you did the LC before 2011 and then it'll probably ask for your exam number so it can get your results.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,580 ✭✭✭✭klose

You start a new CAO application just like this year that has to be in before February 2011. It will give you a new CAO number and the only difference is you tick the box that says you did the LC before 2011 and then it'll probably ask for your exam number so it can get your results.

Thanks!

Where will i go to do this do you know?

On the cao website here theres an "Apply" section, you won't be able to do anything right now until it finishes with all the 2010 applications but at some stage, before Christmas, there'll be a form to fill out for a new application :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 caz2580

Sometimes colleges will issue more offers than they actually have places, on the assumption that a certain percentage will not accept (they base this estimate on non-acceptances in previous years).

Given that there was an abnormally high level of acceptances this year, it is perfectly possible that although some people did not accept their offers the course is still full.

Aw what a bummer. I really wanted the course but your probably right about more places being offered than available.

Advertisement