Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*$*$* CAO offers - how they work *$*$*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Smuckie wrote: »
    I've been offered a level 8, didn't get offered any of my 6/7s. If I accept the level 8, can i still be offered a 6/7 in Round 2? I'm pretty sure that the points for it will drop.

Well the CAO handbook says this:
    You will be offered a place in the highest of your course preferences to which you are entitled (if any). This will be done, independently, in respect of Level 8 and Level 7/Level 6 choices

So I presume it works independently in terms of later offers also. so I'd say accepting your level 8 has no effect on your 6/7, you could still be offered one of them.

DiscoDisco wrote: »
    Anyone?

You might be offered something in Round 2 if your points are fairly close today's cutoff (meaning your next in line to getting a place in your course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DiscoDisco

dambarude wrote: »
    You might be offered something in Round 2 if your points are fairly close today's cutoff (meaning your next in line to getting a place in your course).
    Aye well it says the two courses are 330, and i got 320 i 08.

In a letter i got from CAO today it said "We are not yet authorised to offer you a pace in any of your chosen courses" :S

DiscoDisco wrote: »
    Aye well it says the two courses are 330, and i got 320 i 08.

In a letter i got from CAO today it said "We are not yet authorised to offer you a pace in any of your chosen courses" :S

320 isn't too far out, so keep the hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mikey watson

I got 320 and had a level 8 that was 245 points down and i wasn't offered it, yet i made all the requirements?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A193

Got combination 790 for LSAD Art, which is 830. I think im going to accept a level 7, will i still get a offer from level 8 if im elegible? Also does anyone think it'll fall, last year it stayed static for the second round, what does that mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 adrianne

Hello everybody, I'm desperate cause I didn't receive any offers an I got 435 and the options that I have seem to be perfect for my points. I've got Accounting and Finance in DCU-and the lower points for this year are 425 and I also have Science in UCD-and the lower points for this year are 435. And I still have one option lower than 435 and the ones form level 7/6.

Accounting and Finance in DCU is first and then Science in UCD, but when I log into the CAO Account this statement appears:

Offers/Acceptance Section

There are no offers available to you at this time.
    For information on offer round dates, click here.

+ I didn't get any letter or text from CAO as all of my friends did.
    I don't know what to do. I tried to call them but it seems that they are busy,talking to someone else every time I call.
    Please, if any of you could help.

adrianne wrote: »
    Hello everybody, I'm desperate cause I didn't receive any offers an I got 435 and the options that I have seem to be perfect for my points. I've got Accounting and Finance in DCU-and the lower points for this year are 425 and I also have Science in UCD-and the lower points for this year are 435. And I still have one option lower than 435 and the ones form level 7/6.

Accounting and Finance in DCU is first and then Science in UCD, but when I log into the CAO Account this statement appears:

Offers/Acceptance Section

There are no offers available to you at this time.
    For information on offer round dates, click here.

+ I didn't get any letter or text from CAO as all of my friends did.
    I don't know what to do. I tried to call them but it seems that they are busy,talking to someone else every time I call.
    Please, if any of you could help.

First of all, are you sure you have added up your points correctly? Only counting 6 subjects? If yes, visit this page on cao, read the faqs, and if they don't help, use the link at the bottom of the page to email them. Email is probably better if they're so busy.

A193 wrote: »
    Got combination 790 for LSAD Art, which is 830. I think im going to accept a level 7, will i still get a offer from level 8 if im elegible? Also does anyone think it'll fall, last year it stayed static for the second round, what does that mean?

You should still get an offer if the points come down. I don't know enough about the particular course to say whether it will fall or not.

I got 320 and had a level 8 that was 245 points down and i wasn't offered it, yet i made all the requirements?

What was the course? Are you sure you have enough Higher level C3s (etc.) to be accepted?

• Advertisement

First of all, are you sure you have added up your points correctly? Only counting 6 subjects? If yes, visit this page on cao, read the faqs, and if they don't help, use the link at the bottom of the page to email them. Email is probably better if they're so busy.

Thank you very much. Problem solved. I talked to them and now I know what to do. Thank you anyway!

Thank you very much. Problem solved. I talked to them and now I know what to do. Thank you anyway!

Would you mind sharing what the problem was? Not being nosey, but it might help others that had a similar problem:).

Would you mind sharing what the problem was? Not being nosey, but it might help others that had a similar problem:).

It's kinda complicated. I gave them my CAO no and they told me that I was not registered into their system, actually they did not know that I have done the Leaving Cert this year so I had to send them through e-mail my details- exam no, name and cao no.

I'm so glad that they told me what the problem was. I hope that everything will work out well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 WhoDat

It's kinda complicated. I gave them my CAO no and they told me that I was not registered into their system, actually they did not know that I have done the Leaving Cert this year so I had to send them through e-mail my details- exam no, name and cao no.

I'm so glad that they told me what the problem was. I hope that everything will work out well.

A friend of mine has had a similar problem, except it seems that she forgot to put her exam number on her application, so they have no results for her leaving cert. She got well over what she needed for the first choice on her CAO, but no offers. She's running around like a headless chicken trying to find a copy of her original application to see if she put the exam number on it, because she can't remember if she did. She's so, so upset. What will happen if it turns out she didn't put the number on? Can she get in contact with the CAO and tell them her exam number so they can find her results from the Department of Education or something?

WhoDat wrote: »
    A friend of mine has had a similar problem, except it seems that she forgot to put her exam number on her application, so they have no results for her leaving cert. She got well over what she needed for the first choice on her CAO, but no offers. She's running around like a headless chicken trying to find a copy of her original application to see if she put the exam number on it, because she can't remember if she did. She's so, so upset. What will happen if it turns out she didn't put the number on? Can she get in contact with the CAO and tell them her exam number so they can find her results from the Department of Education or something?

That's what happened to me, but they told me to go online on www.cao.ie , access CONTACT US and send them my examination number and my name. I don't know what is going to happen yet. She should try to send them an e-mail with her exam number and to explain to them what happened, or she should try to call them. Their phone no is on their page.

That's what happened to me, but they told me to go online on www.cao.ie , access CONTACT US and send them my examination number and my name. I don't know what is going to happen yet. She should try to send them an e-mail with her exam number and to explain to them what happened, or she should try to call them. Their phone no is on their page.

She should be doing this ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 LordVader

So today I got offered a Level 8 course and a Level 7 :D. I just clicked 'Accept' on the CAO website for my Level 8 course. Do I need to 'reject' my level 7 course or do I just refrain from accepting? Also, is it true that you should not accept offers by post and online, only one or the other? :confused:

LordVader wrote: »
    So today I got offered a Level 8 course and a Level 7 :D. I just clicked 'Accept' on the CAO website for my Level 8 course. Do I need to 'reject' my level 7 course or do I just refrain from accepting? Also, is it true that you should not accept offers by post and online, only one or the other? :confused:

Just ignore the level 7 course now, it will be offered to somebody else. If you've accepted online there's no need to send off the postal acceptance. If you've gotten an email and text from CAO you've definitely accepted your place. You should also get a written acceptance confirmation within 3 days in the post. All you need to do now is chill:cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 LordVader

Thanks lad. Chillin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭EvilLlamaThingy

Question here is a bit specific, but anyhoo.
    If you're changing university but staying in the same type of course, eg, doing 1st year science or something like that but wanting to do second year of the same course somewhere else, you apply for a transfer. You must have the points that were required in the year you started the course, eg, if you take science in NUIG for 350 points, and Trinity was 450, if you didn't have the 450 in the first place you can't transfer. You also have to meet the other transfer requirements set out by the university, most require that you pass your first year college exams, fill out an application form and write a personal statement.
    Suppose my number one course option was 450*(asterick being the crucial thing here), and I did my appeals and went up accordingly. If I did a year of another similar course and wanted to switch to my first choice to do second year, would this mean I have to get 450 or 455?

Also this one might be a bit off topic but I still think it's worth knowing. When in colleges do you have to pay fees? Because if suppose you go up in October after appeals and get another course you want more, if you've paid already do you get that back? Would you have paid by that point?

If anyone can answer I'd really really appreciate it :)

• Advertisement

Q
    Suppose my number one course option was 450*(asterick being the crucial thing here), and I did my appeals and went up accordingly. If I did a year of another similar course and wanted to switch to my first choice to do second year, would this mean I have to get 450 or 455?

You mean you wanted to transfer from one course to another after a year? That would depend on the college(s) in question. IF the college(s) allowed you to switch, I'd doubt the CAO would have anything to do with it but I'm sure the college(s) would take your points into account.
    Also this one might be a bit off topic but I still think it's worth knowing. When in colleges do you have to pay fees? Because if suppose you go up in October after appeals and get another course you want more, if you've paid already do you get that back? Would you have paid by that point?
    Not sure about this one. I don't think you'd have to pay the registration fee again, but any fee you'd pay in relation to on campus accom or anything relating specifically to that college might not be refunded. Would depend on the situation and college in question I'd say.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

This is a complicated one, lots of things mixed in here together.

If you appeal and go up above the cut-off, you may be offered a place in your first choice this year (depending on course) or you may be given a deferred place on that course to start first year next year.

There are a lot of factors which determine whether you could do first year of the course you have been offered this year and transfer to second year of your first choice next year, and this is mostly outside CAO. As pointed out above, though, you generally have to have (even if only after appeal) the points you would have required for entry through CAO ... otherwise half the country would be applying to transfer into their original preferred college after first year.

Are the courses similar, at least in first year? ... e.g. if we are talking about 2 courses in science with a common introductory first year in the same college, the chances are at least good. Take out one or more of those factors and the chances decline accordingly.

You really need to talk to the relevant college directly about your options.
    At / by registration normally, AFAIR. If you get an offer after appeal and move to another college in October, you will be refunded the original registration fee though (eventually!).

Do remember that if you complete first year of an undergraduate course, and then go back to start another first year course, you will be eligible for full fees second time round ... varies from course to course, but a hell of a lot more than the 1,500 registration fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Monksie

i was offered a third choice in level 8 and a second choice in level7/6. if i accept my offer on the level 7/6 can i still be offered something further up on my LEVEL 8 courses in second round offers?
    i was also wondering could it be possible to be offered science in ucd in second round? i missed it by 50 points...its 435 nd i only got 385? cant believe it shot up by so much! any info greatly appreciated! thanks a mil xx :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Monksie wrote: »
    i was offered a third choice in level 8 and a second choice in level7/6. if i accept my offer on the level 7/6 can i still be offered something further up on my LEVEL 8 courses in second round offers?
    Yes.
    Monksie wrote: »
    i was also wondering could it be possible to be offered science in ucd in second round? i missed it by 50 points...its 435 nd i only got 385? cant believe it shot up by so much! any info greatly appreciated! thanks a mil xx :o
    Very, very unlikely tbh ... I'd hate to say impossible, but it's damn close to it certainly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ..missy..x

Hello....i have jus applied for an available course on the cao today as i hadnt got offered my 1st place choice....how long will i have to wait until i find out if i got it does anyone know?? plz!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭EvilLlamaThingy

Thanks for the replies everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 SallyBurgerH

If I was offered a level 8 and a level 7 course and I accepted my level 8 and then decided to accept my level 7 instead does that excempt me from changing my mind back to the level 8 or can i keep switching back and forth until the 30th?

If I was offered a level 8 and a level 7 course and I accepted my level 8 and then decided to accept my level 7 instead does that excempt me from changing my mind back to the level 8 or can i keep switching back and forth until the 30th?

From the CAO handbook pg 21:
    More than one acceptance
    If you receive more than one offer, you may make successive acceptances but an acceptance automatically cancels and supersedes any previous acceptance(s) - you may have only one current acceptance in the entire CAO system.

Lapse of Offers
    An offer will lapse unless you accept it within a specified period - i.e. unless the online or paper acceptance is received in CAO by 5:15 pm on the "Reply Date" set out in the Offer Notice.

Basically I *think* this means that you can change between the two up until the 30th of August, but whichever is the last one you have accepted on that date will be your final decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A193

Is it ok to accept an offer (not your ideal,first choice) but then change your mind in favour of a PLC course that gives a backdoor route to your first choice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

A193 wrote: »
    Is it ok to accept an offer (not your ideal,first choice) but then change your mind in favour of a PLC course that gives a backdoor route to your first choice?

Yup. Inform the college asap that you don't want the place so they can offer it to someone else in the next round. You could defer it as well in case you want to take it up next year. If you haven't registered I don't think theres anything tying you to the course...

Advertisement