Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*$*$* CAO offers - how they work *$*$*

Options
  • 10-08-2010 1:27am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭

(Round 1 offers - 23rd August 2010)

Guys, can I suggest people have a look at the offers section (page 21 onwards) of the CAO handbook over the next week or so ...

*** link here ***

I'm sure some of you know it by heart by now, but there are still people popping up questions that show they don't understand how the system works.

In particular, this bit (page 22) is core to the way the CAO system works, yet seems to cause confusion ...

Offer of highest preference

You will be offered a place in the highest of your course preferences to which you are entitled (if any).

This will be done, independently, in respect of Level 8 and Level 7/Level 6 choices.

You may, therefore, receive two offers at the same time; one for the highest Level 8 preference to which you are entitled and the other for the highest Level 7/Level 6 preference to which you are entitled.

Exclusion from lower preferences

IMPORTANT: When you have been offered a place in one of your course preferences, you are excluded from further consideration for any course which is lower in your order of preference than the one in which you have been offered a place.

This means that while you may subsequently move upwards in your order of preference (if places become available due to withdrawals) you will not be considered for a place in a course which is a lower preference than that already offered.

Later offers for higher preference

If you are being offered a place in a course which is not your first preference, you may subsequently be offered a place in a course of higher preference if such a place becomes available.

This applies whether or not the earlier offer has been accepted. It is NOT necessary to accept an offer in order to be considered for a higher preference if it becomes available later. There is no guarantee, of course, that a higher preference will become available.

Non-acceptance of subsequent offers

Having accepted an offer of a place, you are not obliged to accept a subsequent offer. You may retain the original offer simply by ignoring the subsequent one.

Vacant places

From CAO website - vacant places

About Available Places/Vacant Places

If any places remain unfilled in particular courses after all offers have been made and the waiting lists of applicants meeting minimum entry requirements have been exhausted, such vacancies will be advertised.

Where there are Available Places/Vacant Places in specific courses, HEIs will advertise these on the CAO website. Before making an “Available Place/Vacant Place” application, those matching the description “Restricted Categories of Applicant” on Page 3 of the CAO handbook should first consult with the Admissions Office of the HEI concerned.

Persons who have not applied already may make an Available Place application on payment of a fee of €45.00.

Persons who have applied already (whether placed or not) may apply for an Available Place on-line without payment of a further fee (when available).

Applicants for Available Places/Vacant Places must meet the normal minimum entry requirements for the course(s) in question. Previously published points in an earlier round of offers should not be taken as an indication of the points required for entry to Available Places/Vacant Places.

Mature applicants and applicants who have qualifications other than 1985-2007 Irish Leaving Cert and/or 2000-2007 FETAC Level 5/6 are categorised as Non-Standard Applicants. Such applicants must contact the appropriate HEI before completing an application.

Lists will be available here from 12 noon on Tuesday 24th August 2010.

Link to CAO log-in page ... log into your CAO account here!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Some useful Q&A posts copied from previous CAO thread (some edited / shortened slightly)
    Victoria. wrote: »
    Does the CAO sort by matriculation requirements too?
    Say if you didn't get a required grade for maths but you got enough points would it offer you that course solely on points so you wouldn't be offered another one or would it take the maths into account?
    No, you will be offered the highest ranked course to which you are entitled ... if there is a requirement for a C3 in maths for a course, for example, and you only get a D, you will not be offered that course even if you have the points.
    LouiseZ wrote: »
    Say you got offered your second choice course, and you accepted that offer, if the pionts for your first choice course drop in the second round and due to that pionts drop you get in, can you still get offered a place on your first choice course?
    ...even if you've accepted the second choice course...I should probably know this..:rolleyes:
    pathway33 wrote: »
    Yes provided you meet the matriculation requirements as well as the points.

You can go up on the CAO but the CAO will never let you go down.

Golden rule: 'The only way is up'

Say you got 500 points and your first choice in round 1 was 505 and your second choice was 495 then you get your second choice providing you also meet the matriculation requirements (e.g OC3 in maths which you satisfy by getting an OC1)

In the second round you will get your first choice if it drops to 500 and you get pulled out on random selection or if it drops to below 500. That's providing your first choice does not have an entry requirement like OB3 in maths because you only got an OC1. In this case you have the points but not the entry requirement and so stick on your round 1 offer. If you had your OB3 in maths then your first choice is yours if you wish
    if you accept a course this year, then after one year decide you don't like it, how can you change course? is it based on leaving cert points 2010 or on university exams from your first year?
    If you reapply through the CAO for a completely different course, you're applying with all the current leaving certs so it goes on whatever the required points are in that year, not what it was when you did the LC.

If you just want to change course without changing university and without going back and repeating first year, you should contact the university to see what they can do for you. For example, doing first year marine science and wanting to move into environmental sci (provided the 1st year courses are the same, as they are for a lot of sciences). You MAY have to repeat first year if the courses have different first year modules.

If you're changing university but staying in the same type of course, eg, doing 1st year science or something like that but wanting to do second year of the same course somewhere else, you apply for a transfer. You must have the points that were required in the year you started the course, eg, if you take science in NUIG for 350 points, and Trinity was 450, if you didn't have the 450 in the first place you can't transfer. You also have to meet the other transfer requirements set out by the university, most require that you pass your first year college exams, fill out an application form and write a personal statement.

Theres also the issue of paying fees if you reapply through the CAO and enter 1st year for the 2nd time, whether in a different uni or not. You must pay the fees for 1st year of the course. If a transfer is approved, and you go direct from 1st year in one uni to 2nd year in another, you don't pay fees.
    lallychops wrote: »
    how do you actually accept offers? do you go into the cao website and accept there??
    On the day of the offers, you log into your cao account. You'll have 2 boxes, 1 for level 8 and 1 for level 7, saying what course you've been accepted, the college and the course number. There'll be an "accept" button beside it, click it and thats it! :)

You also get it by post (the same day I think?) so you can fill out that form and send it back, but the quicker and easier way is online.
    muffinz wrote: »
    What date do the offers come out? I feel like this question is retarded, but the date isnt even on the feckin site!
    The 23rd of August. If you go into the "My application" part of the cao website, theres a table with offer date and reply date. Round One would be what you're looking for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

what time does the offers come out?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

LovexxLife wrote: »
    what time does the offers come out?

6am in the morning! But some people have had trouble logging in at that time if it was busy in previous years - I don't think we'll have that problem though.

You have up until the 30th August to accept any offers you have gotten, so there is no rush. Remember, you will receive two offers - one from the Level 6/7 list and one from the Level 8 list, providing you meet all the requirements for both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Do they send out letters or do you have to do it strictly through the internet?

Do we send back a letter saying we accept the course to the CAO office or what?

Cheers for all the help guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Do they send out letters or do you have to do it strictly through the internet?

Do we send back a letter saying we accept the course to the CAO office or what?

Cheers for all the help guys.

You do get a form the same day showing you what courses you've been offered, then you have to send back some sort of slip showing which one you want. I'm not 100% sure as I barely even looked at mine...if you can get access to the internet I'd advise that, as you have confirmation there and then that they know what you have picked, its quick and easy to follow, and theres no chance of things getting lost in the post :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

why cant they give them out the day after the lc because after waiting so long for the reluts to come out
    but i hope that computer s in ucc only gos up by 10 points because i only got 310 but it has not went up in years

why cant they give them out the day after the lc because after waiting so long for the reluts to come out
    Because the CAO has to receive the results, upload them and process them. This takes time.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Mazda

Quick question - If you are offered your 2nd choice and accept it in the first round, can you accept your 1st choice then if offered it in the second round? :o

Mazda wrote: »
    Quick question - If you are offered your 2nd choice and accept it in the first round, can you accept your 1st choice then if offered it in the second round? :o

Yes.

Please read the first post in this thread again, esp. the paragraph towards the end entitled Later offers for higher preference :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

(They could make this a lot easier, ya know!)

1) Just say I'm offered my 2nd choice tomorrow, should I accept this whether or not I might get my 1st choice in the second round?

2) If I'm short a few points for my 1st choice and decide to recheck an exam, what happens?

- If I don't make up the points, do I still get a place in my 2nd choice?
    - If I do make up the points, do I get a place in my 1st choice this year?

Since its not til October I hear they reserve your place for 2010...

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Look at the sticky at the top of the forum!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    1) Just say I'm offered my 2nd choice tomorrow, should I accept this whether or not I might get my 1st choice in the second round?

There is a sticky at the top of this forum. If you are offered your second choice, accept it. If your first choice is offered in the second round, it will be offered regardless of whether you have accepted the first round or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bigrob

If you accept an offer can you then later, say a few days, un-accept it?!

dambarude wrote: »
    Look at the sticky at the top of the forum!
    There is a sticky at the top of this forum.
    :D

Merged!
    If you are offered your second choice, accept it. If your first choice is offered in the second round, it will be offered regardless of whether you have accepted the first round or not.
    Indeed, please read the first post carefully, Eire.
    2) If I'm short a few points for my 1st choice and decide to recheck an exam, what happens?

- If I don't make up the points, do I still get a place in my 2nd choice?
    Yes, if you've accepted it.
    - If I do make up the points, do I get a place in my 1st choice this year?
    Depends on the course / college as far as I can see.

Colleges which start later (e.g. Trinity) / courses with a larger intake (more likely to have spare places) and which may take a bit longer to get into full swing ... probably a better chance of being fitted in this year.

Bigrob wrote: »
    If you accept an offer can you then later, say a few days, un-accept it?!
    Well, they're not going to send out the Guards to collect you and make you do it! You can withdraw, yes.

Not sure what exactly is in your head, though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bigrob

Well, they're not going to send out the Guards to collect you and make you do it! You can withdraw, yes.

Not sure what exactly is in your head, though?

Sorry should have said, I'm waiting on replies from a few colleges in GB so that's why I'd be withdrawing!

Bigrob wrote: »
    Sorry should have said, I'm waiting on replies from a few colleges in GB so that's why I'd be withdrawing!
    Thought it might be that.

Accept your CAO place before the deadline if you don't have an unconditional offer from the UK you're happy with by that stage.

Deadline is 30th August by 5.15 p.m.

:D

Merged!

Indeed, please read the first post carefully, Eire.

Yes, if you've accepted it.

Depends on the course / college as far as I can see.

Colleges which start later (e.g. Trinity) / courses with a larger intake (more likely to have spare places) and which may take a bit longer to get into full swing ... probably a better chance of being fitted in this year.

Thanks, didn't look up here!

I've heard if I get something rechecked I've to wait til next year before I can get into college.

I'm talking about UL, by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Yupp2010

Okay read carefully, No one i ask ever knows this!

So I applied for arts.
    And I've reached all requirements.
    But, the question is : Do they count your points taking the requirements in to account? Or do they count your best 6 and then make sure you met requirement too? For example I got 435.. But A requirement is to get a certain amount in irish,Which i did, but when I count irish as one as my six i only get like 410 D:

Wb please. :confused:

*requirements

No, they will count your best six (in one sitting of the LC) for points, and all of your subjects for course/matriculation requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Yupp2010

Thank you so fun xD

*much

Yupp2010 wrote: »
    Or do they count your best 6 and then make sure you met requirement too?
    This ... except as far as I know the other way round ... i.e. the programme checks for minimum requirements first, and then orders those who have them by points based on their best 6 subjects until all available places are allocated.

Just say you do decide to recheck, what happens until October... do you just wait? Or do you participate in the course that you accepted in round 1?

Just say you do decide to recheck, what happens until October... do you just wait? Or do you participate in the course that you accepted in round 1?

That would be up to you. It'd probably best to start your course if you have an interest in it. If it is something you are CERTAIN you don't want to do maybe consider not starting it, it could be a waste of money, but be aware that you mightn't be upgraded and may end up with NO course.

dambarude wrote: »
    That would be up to you. It'd probably best to start your course if you have an interest in it. If it is something you are CERTAIN you don't want to do maybe consider not starting it, it could be a waste of money, but be aware that you mightn't be upgraded and may end up with NO course.
    So damn confusing.

- Accept 2nd choice in Round 1
    - Recheck exam(s) to try and get 1st choice
    - Participate in 2nd choice until October then switch if you get it?
    - Or don't participate in anything, then go with 2nd or 1st choice depending on what happens? Is that possible?

- Participate in 2nd choice until October then switch if you get it?
    You can only switch at that point if there is room in the course for you. Otherwise you will have to wait until the following September.
    - Or don't participate in anything, then go with 2nd or 1st choice depending on what happens? Is that possible?

No. If you are offered your 2nd choice and you don't accept it, it will be offered to somebody else. There's no deciding at a later point that you want it. If you get upgraded you may still be offered your 1st choice however, but as I said above, you may have to wait until the following academic year to start it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I've been offered a place in UCD, But i'm also elligible for HEAR, if I click Accept does it automatically mean it's a HEAR place as It doesn't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JaTochNietDan

I just want to figure one thing out, I think I've got it right now after reading this post but I just want to make sure.

I've applied to 3 level 8 courses and 1 level 7 course. I just got an offer in the level 7 course that I applied for, so if I accepted this now, it won't effect any places I might be offered in round 2 for my level 8 choices?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Smuckie

I've been offered a level 8, didn't get offered any of my 6/7s. If I accept the level 8, can i still be offered a 6/7 in Round 2? I'm pretty sure that the points for it will drop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DiscoDisco

DiscoDisco wrote: »
    If i didnt get offered anything today, will i get anything at all?

The points for my Level 8 course are the same for the level 7 course :confused:

Anyone?

Advertisement