Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passports and pubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

nah I think most shops wont sell your more than one box of stuff containing parecetemol (sp)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

Rockee wrote: »
    ?? You go through immigration in Dublin though. I was in LAX last year (and am going again in 6 weeks) and I just walked off the plane and on to the baggage reclaim. :confused:

Nope I flew to Heathrow first from Dublin and then on to LAX - had to go through immigration there and then had to get another connecting flight from there.

I have no idea why she wouldn't accept it - got me a bit worried though

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

garv123 wrote: »
    my mother tried to get two boxes of headache tablets in there once too and they would only let her buy one box incase she tried to overdose on them or something. she was told she'd have to leave with one box and come back and buy the second. the woman behind her took the box and money off her and paid for it and handed them to her inside the shop. they cudnt say anything then
    is this a new thing in shops or isit just dunnes again?

sticking it to the man :D

OT: I can understand their sillyness on the headache tablets but refusing to sell someone under 18 condoms is retarded. Regardless of how good baloons they make

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

niamhallen wrote: »
    It's because people are lending passports to underage friends and using their own agecard to get served.

that only works with twins doesnt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Saila wrote: »

That would be pointless and both twins would be either both over or underage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Saila wrote: »
    That would be pointless and both twins would be either both over or underage

Lol I needed a laugh before bed.

Goodnight :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

same i'm calling in on the way to work. cant wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

in tesco with the brother, me 22 him 19, he was getting loads of beer for oxygen so i went with him to help him carry it all. At the counter he pays for everything gets his change and as we go to pick up the crates she says wait ye both look a bit young whats your date birth?? was she going to demand we take our money back and give her back the change and the booze if we said we were underage! she didnt even ask for i.d just our date of births! they clearly have no common sense, i seen them asking a guy for identification one day, he didn't look a day under 30

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

i was buying drink in tesco lastnight and the guy said me you know you must be over 25:pac:
    i just showed my age card showing i was 18 nd he was like oh ok. Are they just making up numbers for fun..

In the clubs here i get asked for ID everytime but then you go in and see people (girls) you knew from school who were nearly 3 years behind in there with no bother without ID. girls get away with any randomers ID too that looks nothing like them. because of the amount of make up some of them wear

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Over here they ID anyone who looks under 40. You can imagine the looks you get when you pull out the ridiculous pink paper, laminated on one side only Irish driving licence, not to mention one of those stupid age cards. The passport seems to be the only form of ID from Ireland that doesn't look like some 14 year old made it on his inkjet printer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I thought the Garda ID card was difficult to forge due to the numerous security features on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

WilliamOC wrote: »

OT: I can understand their sillyness on the headache tablets but refusing to sell someone under 18 condoms is retarded. Regardless of how good baloons they make

not at all, we need to ensure that these young ones are having unprotected sex!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

What do you actually need to produce to get a garda ID?

I don't understand this thing about not accepting passports, I've never heard of it before but it's ridiculous. Has anyone ever been given a reason why?

As for people using their own garda ID and giving someone else their passport, surely the different person in the photo would be a give away?

The girl who was refused entry to the US with her passport, was it a hand written one, biometric or machine readable?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

Stinicker wrote: »
    When you are on holidays in some countries it is the law that you carry your passport at all times.

As far as i know this is the way it is in america

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Anyways..
    I know pubs are entitled to policies and all but not accepting passports is a bit much? I mean its a government document, it gets you into america but not a pint in this place anymore?:confused::confused:

Was this a pub, or Passport Control in Dublin Airport?.

Without seeming like a smartarse, but pub staff (including door staff) are not qualified to say for sure if a passport is genuine or not.

But personally, I think its a policy which should be across the border - and I've always felt the same.

Its idiotic to ask people to bring such a valuable official document out everytime they want a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

WilliamOC wrote: »

Legal age for sex is 17

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Never really start threads this is about me 3rd one but here goes..

Decided to head out thursday for a few beers and chat. We all went to the bar all asked for drinks some of us were asked for i.d, others werent, most handed in a garda age cards. One of my friends however had a passport (recent new one) and the man reluctantly gave him the drink afterwards, he said there starting to not accept them anymore and only garda age cards. We were quiet and causing no hastle so this is a genuine policy there introducing.

Anyways..
    I know pubs are entitled to policies and all but not accepting passports is a bit much? I mean its a government document, it gets you into america but not a pint in this place anymore?:confused::confused:

Anyone else know of places doing this? Further more are they actually allowed do this seeing as its such an official document?

If you wanted to be really petty you could tell the gardai that guy suspects forged passports and doesn't report them...the gardai might come down on him a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,545 ✭✭✭✭klose

moco wrote: »
    What do you actually need to produce to get a garda ID?

I don't understand this thing about not accepting passports, I've never heard of it before but it's ridiculous. Has anyone ever been given a reason why?

As for people using their own garda ID and giving someone else their passport, surely the different person in the photo would be a give away?

The girl who was refused entry to the US with her passport, was it a hand written one, biometric or machine readable?

Getting a garda i.d is awkward enough so i can see why people just stick to the passport.
    When i got my age card i hadta go to the neighbouring town to get the form as they never had the form in my town, it cost 10 euro but u cant pay in cash for some reason so had to go get a bankers draft for it instead.
    2 passport photos, dunno why not just one.
    and finaly 2 forms of i.d, the best part about this is that a drivers liscence suffices as id when getting the age card, my birth cert was the other form.

Ya send it all away and recieve it in the next 2 weeks or so they say but in reality it takes about 5-6 weeks

Was this a pub, or Passport Control in Dublin Airport?.

Without seeming like a smartarse, but pub staff (including door staff) are not qualified to say for sure if a passport is genuine or not.

But personally, I think its a policy which should be across the border - and I've always felt the same.

Its idiotic to ask people to bring such a valuable official document out everytime they want a beer.[/QUOTE]

It is, but so is refusing one if someone does bring it out. Pub staff may not know if a passport is genuine but they'd have a fair idea to look at it. It wouldn't be any easier to forge a passport than it would a garda ID. How do they know a garda ID is genuine??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

schween wrote: »
    Tesco now have a new policy of asking everyone under 25 for I.D. It's becoming ridiculous! Don't even start me on Aldi and thier refusal to take passports!

I have been never asked for I.D. in Tesco, ever. Since I was about 15 I was able to get smokes there. I rarely get asked for I.D. in this country. If I was in the States I would get asked for I.D. the whole time.

But it's pretty stupid to bring your passport out, but I understand some people have to due to waiting on an Age Card. The amount of fake provisional licenses here is a joke. Everybody in school had one.

• Advertisement

Getting a garda i.d is awkward enough so i can see why people just stick to the passport.
    When i got my age card i hadta go to the neighbouring town to get the form as they never had the form in my town, it cost 10 euro but u cant pay in cash for some reason so had to go get a bankers draft for it instead.
    2 passport photos, dunno why not just one.
    and finaly 2 forms of i.d, the best part about this is that a drivers liscence suffices as id when getting the age card, my birth cert was the other form.

Ya send it all away and recieve it in the next 2 weeks or so they say but in reality it takes about 5-6 weeks

Are there actual garda checks involved in getting a card?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

The alcohol supplier is probably concerned you're using someone else's passport.

No one looks the same in passport photos so it is hard to tell. That's why bouncers will ask you your star sign the odd time.

When going to another country the immigration officials are trained to spot people using other people's passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

aDeener wrote: »
    not at all, we need to ensure that these young ones are having unprotected sex!

Hear Hear. I like your style. Without proper ID for condoms where would all the single mothers and useless teenage fathers come from. We dont need those Germans and their rules, we make up enough crap ones without them

Next you ll need to be sober carrying Garda ID to get into a night club (oh wait that happens in cork) :confused:

And i also think if you want to buy a cheap(er) bottle of beer after 10 PM your an alco and shouldnt be allowed:confused: (oh wait that happens too)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

s

your garda station is a joke - if you just asked for the form surely they'd look about getting it for you at least...

also when I got mine I gave in cash and it was no problem at all... just had to give 10 euro exactly because the station didn't have any change - other than that no problems at all...

moco wrote: »
    Are there actual garda checks involved in getting a card?
    yes - there is you have to have 2 forms of identification I think it was.. driving license and birth cert was grand for me so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

NoHornJan wrote: »
    Why do you wan't alcohol? Why do you need alcohol?

Because it's boring down here with the normal folk when I'm not on my high horse.
    I thought the Garda ID card was difficult to forge due to the numerous security features on it?
    You are correct sir. That's why it's the only form of ID that you'll be guaranteed to get in with anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I never bring my Passport if I'm heading out unless I don't have my garda ID, I seemed to have misplaced my Garda Id but I have my english provisional, hoping I get into a club with it, considering it looks fake as ****, but it's real:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I wouldn't turn down a passport as long as it's your passport. If I have another reason to not serve someone I would tell them it.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

NoHornJan wrote: »
    Why do you wan't alcohol? Why do you need alcohol?

There is no need to be so fuking self righteous about other people drinking, if we want to drink we will drink. If you don't want to drink then sit in the corner with your diet coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Legal age for sex is 17

Ya but if you're wearing a condom then technically you're not having sex because nothing is touching.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

i went to get my garda ID on the day after i turned 18, and when the bean garda asked me for a postal order I said I just brought money. She then said "jesus, how'd you not know it was a postal order?" and i told her it was becuase i'd never just turned 18 before. she told me to fcuk off out of her sight, and nearly 7 years later I've still got no garda age card. I never bring my passport out either - if a pub refused me for that, my friends would all leave with me and somewhere else would invariably accept our custom.

everyone should stop bringing any ID for a while, the pubs would start letting everyone in. it'd show them for the unscrupulous cnuts that they are.

and fcuk nightclubs - you'd never catch me in one.

Advertisement