Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passports and pubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I remember a few months ago seeing a kid of about 14/15 getting asked for ID in dunnes for a can of red bull. :confused: He also had something from the deli. Poor lad had to eat something without a drink with his bright red cheeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I really really really hate this fúcking scaremongering of products like Red Bull and Lucozade by Dunnes stores when you can buy as much fags and booze as you want and kill yourself that way, or if you dont have id go and swallow a litre of bleach.

You're about as likely to die from Drinking Red Bull than you are of being in a plane crash three times over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭luv-eirexx

Passports should be grand to get into nightclubs!! They are a government document.

Sort of unrelated but a few years ago a girl I know tried to get into a night club wit her passport. The manager ( who's a pr1ck!!) refused her. He knew she was overage and all but just had a pick on her. She said sound and left. Arrived back a few minutes later with the gardai. She had walked down the road to the local station and explained to the gards that she was being refused entry even though she had legitimate id, money to get in and she wasn't drunk. The manager had to let her in. It's illegal to refuse people with id, any form

Tbh I wouldn't have given the pr1ck the satisfaction of paying to go into his nightclub. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I was in tesco a while ago and they wouldnt accept my passport. They said i needed a Garda ID :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

luv-eirexx wrote: »
    Passports should be grand to get into nightclubs!! They are a government document.

Sort of unrelated but a few years ago a girl I know tried to get into a night club wit her passport. The manager ( who's a pr1ck!!) refused her. He knew she was overage and all but just had a pick on her. She said sound and left. Arrived back a few minutes later with the gardai. She had walked down the road to the local station and explained to the gards that she was being refused entry even though she had legitimate id, money to get in and she wasn't drunk. The manager had to let her in. It's illegal to refuse people with id, any form

Tbh I wouldn't have given the pr1ck the satisfaction of paying to go into his nightclub. :)

Whatever happened to "Management reserve the right to refuse admission" I doubt he had to let her in and she seemed to be a bigger idiot for wanting to spend a cent in his place after being treated like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Isn't it against the law to carry your passport around unless you're exiting/entering the country?

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Isn't it against the law to carry your passport around unless you're exiting/entering the country?

No, however "your" passport is actually the property of the Minister for Foreign Affairs and he can demand it back whenever he so wishes. When you are on holidays in some countries it is the law that you carry your passport at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

Pauleta wrote: »
    I was in tesco a while ago and they wouldnt accept my passport. They said i needed a Garda ID :mad:
    Everywhere seems to be obsessed with Garda ID. My fake ID looked better than the Garda ID, When i got it in the post the corner was chipped, a lot of my friends cards are all bent and cracked, they look pure dodge. I was in tesco the last day buying drink and the one started asking me all questions like "Is your birthday before or after christmas " trying to catch me out :rolleyes:, she was about 2min thinking up the question . After I purchased the drink she was like I know it's you in the photo (When I got the photo i had really short, now my hair is a good bit longer) I though to myself why did you bother asking me these stupid questions

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

Pauleta wrote: »

Why is alcohol so important for a nights entertainment? Is it a must do for the crowd that you associate with? Is it the boys or the girls who want to show that they're mature or imature drinkers? Three questions. How many answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Tesco now have a new policy of asking everyone under 25 for I.D. It's becoming ridiculous! Don't even start me on Aldi and thier refusal to take passports!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Is it just me or does anyone else think that this whole Lucozade/Redbull thing is somebody taking the piss?

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else think that this whole Lucozade/Redbull thing is somebody taking the piss?
    Sure you can't buy matches in centra without ID because it's smoking paraphernalia.If I were Lucozade/Redbull I'd be pissed. Ireland is the biggest nanny state in Europe

Hank_Jones wrote: »

No, I got asked for ID once when buying a stupid boxcutter, I guess they wanted to be sure I was old enough to kill someone with it.

A cousin of mine got taken to the Garda station another night for having a knife in his possesion, the stupid planks failed to notice him in his chefs uniform and it took the hotel manager to clear things up that he truly was a chef and was taking home his own knifeset for sharpening. *beats head off wall repeatedly*

I showed my Garda ID to an American bouncer in a strip joint and he told me come on you'll have to do better than that! I also showed him my passport and explained that the agecard was our National ID card!! He laughed and told me he would rank it as a poor quality fake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Ya it is quite stupid, I have been refused from pubs because of using a passport as i.d., but really they just dont want ya in the pub and its there excuase.

This Garda I.D. card is the easiest thing to counterfeit in the world, Im purely basing that on the amount of fakes I see that are spot on. Imo a passport and to a lesser extent should be the obvious choice of I.D. for pubs/clubs but it just seems conveiniant for the bouncer to say "sorry Garda I.D. only"... While letting the next 15 year old in with their fake Garda I.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

FearDark wrote: »
    A friend of mine was turned away from a night club last Saturday for only having his passport on him while two obvious 15/16 year old girls got in with their fake Garda ID's, my friend is 27 by the way and looks it.

Conspiracy? Maybe...

In before "Cool story bro".

Why is your buddy going to the same place as people 10 years younger than him? A little sad really, he obviously just didn't fit with the crowd.

Maybe go back a page or two and read some posts before you jump right in city slicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Why is your buddy going to the same place as people 10 years younger than him? A little sad really, he obviously just didn't fit with the crowd.

Yeah because at 27 he is obviously too old for a nightclub should be heading to the local balroom dancing group.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

I sent away for my garda age card back in April, still no sign of it! A bit ridiculous. I had to restrain myself when a gard asked me for I.D, gave him my driving license, and he said I had to have an age card because a driving license wasn't good enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Ireland's a shit hole, why bother buying this shit here. Go up to Newry, fuck them. Our money was good enough for the bastards back in boom time and it's not good enough now when we don't have it. They can all go fuck themselves. Hopefully they'll go bankrupt, fuck the lot of them; pubs, clubs and dunnes.
    I refuse to get an garda age card, a card for buying drink what a load of bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

NoHornJan wrote: »
    Why is alcohol so important for a nights entertainment? Is it a must do for the crowd that you associate with? Is it the boys or the girls who want to show that they're mature or imature drinkers? Three questions. How many answers?

There's only one answer, and it's... horseradish sauce.

Moral of the story; Ask 3 stupid questions, you get one stupid answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

El Siglo wrote: »
    Ireland's a shit hole, why bother buying this shit here. Go up to Newry, fuck them. Our money was good enough for the bastards back in boom time and it's not good enough now when we don't have it. They can all go fuck themselves. Hopefully they'll go bankrupt, fuck the lot of them; pubs, clubs and dunnes.
    I refuse to get an garda age card, a card for buying drink what a load of bollocks.

Why do you wan't alcohol? Why do you need alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

I went to America just over 2 weeks ago. Landed into LAX and went to immigration. The immigration officer wouldn't accept my passport and let me into the country so she asked to see another form of I.D. So I showed her my drivers licence - queue strange looks and much laughter. They couldn't believe that a country could still print licences on paper! But more to the point, my passport wasn't good enough to get into America

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

NoHornJan wrote: »
    Why do you wan't alcohol? Why do you need alcohol?

Buy it cheap in lidl which is what I've done. Sick of pubs and nightclubs, usually to jarred for to remember much from the latter anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

My friend who's 15 got into the Wright Venue with someone elses passport.

So when I'm 18 I should expect to be clubbing with 14 & 15 year olds
    :cool:

El Siglo wrote: »
    Buy it cheap in lidl which is what I've done. Sick of pubs and nightclubs, usually to jarred for to remember much from the latter anyway.
    That lidl stuff will give you a violent hangover

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

some_dose wrote: »
    I went to America just over 2 weeks ago. Landed into LAX and went to immigration. The immigration officer wouldn't accept my passport and let me into the country so she asked to see another form of I.D. So I showed her my drivers licence - queue strange looks and much laughter. They couldn't believe that a country could still print licences on paper! But more to the point, my passport wasn't good enough to get into America

What?? Why wouldnt she accept it?? what the hell was her reasoning??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't know why people bring passports out with them anyway. We have often found passports lying around in the bar I work in. They cost 70 odd euro to get a new one! And the age cards are only what, a tenner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

some_dose wrote: »

?? You go through immigration in Dublin though. I was in LAX last year (and am going again in 6 weeks) and I just walked off the plane and on to the baggage reclaim. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

im 18 and when i was in tesco with my mate buying drink he was asked for id and he only had his licence but they wouldnt accept it. when it came to me i had my passport and she accepted it. the funny thing is it was expired and the photo was from primary school. she had no problem accepting it. it could have been anyone in the photo because ive changed so much my old teachers dont know me anymore. bit of a joke.

that thing about the redbull and lucazade in dunnes is sum joke.
    i remember in dunnes inside in town they said that people had to show I.D to buy condoms. this was because the local scum children were goin in buying them and making balloons out of them and leaving them lying around just for fun.
    imagine been 17 and been the legal age to have sex but refused condoms at the till.
    my mother tried to get two boxes of headache tablets in there once too and they would only let her buy one box incase she tried to overdose on them or something. she was told she'd have to leave with one box and come back and buy the second. the woman behind her took the box and money off her and paid for it and handed them to her inside the shop. they cudnt say anything then
    is this a new thing in shops or isit just dunnes again?

Advertisement