Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passports and pubs

Options
  • 06-08-2010 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,580 ✭✭✭✭

Never really start threads this is about me 3rd one but here goes..

Decided to head out thursday for a few beers and chat. We all went to the bar all asked for drinks some of us were asked for i.d, others werent, most handed in a garda age cards. One of my friends however had a passport (recent new one) and the man reluctantly gave him the drink afterwards, he said there starting to not accept them anymore and only garda age cards. We were quiet and causing no hastle so this is a genuine policy there introducing.

Anyways..
    I know pubs are entitled to policies and all but not accepting passports is a bit much? I mean its a government document, it gets you into america but not a pint in this place anymore?:confused::confused:

Anyone else know of places doing this? Further more are they actually allowed do this seeing as its such an official document?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

They can do what they want.

/thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

**** pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,974 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Never really start threads this is about me 3rd one but here goes..

Decided to head out thursday for a few beers and chat. We all went to the bar all asked for drinks some of us were asked for i.d, others werent, most handed in a garda age cards. One of my friends however had a passport (recent new one) and the man reluctantly gave him the drink afterwards, he said there starting to not accept them anymore and only garda age cards. We were quiet and causing no hastle so this is a genuine policy there introducing.

Anyways..
    I know pubs are entitled to policies and all but not accepting passports is a bit much? I mean its a government document, it gets you into america but not a pint in this place anymore?:confused::confused:

Anyone else know of places doing this? Further more are they actually allowed do this seeing as its such an official document?
    Perhaps the owner is a fan of the Bourne Identity?

I don't think you should use your passport anyway on a night out. You should safeguard that sort of thing closely, they aren't cheap and can cause you some hot sh*t if you lose them. Especially if you happen to be a foreigner :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

dont drink there anymore

Heard the Bosnians are c**ts for ID alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

this is some bull****

good enough to get ya into other countries and start a bank account but not good enough to get ya into and served in a pub

wtf!!

pisses me off as much as over 21's/23's (illegal due to the fact once you're the legal age to consume alcohol you cannot be discriminated against in this manner!)

the pubs must be fcukin booming at the minute when ya hear they're making it harder on people to give them their hard earned euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

yeah all the ads everywhere tryin to get people back into the pub?? **** that.

i get me drink in lidls, haha im a poor ****

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

A friend of mine was turned away from a night club last Saturday for only having his passport on him while two obvious 15/16 year old girls got in with their fake Garda ID's, my friend is 27 by the way and looks it.

Conspiracy? Maybe...

In before "Cool story bro".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I know pubs are entitled to policies and all but not accepting passports is a bit much?

Underage Israelis ruining it for everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

It's because people are lending passports to underage friends and using their own agecard to get served.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

I got rejected from a nightclub in Galway 'cause I had a British passport. Now, I know they can't see them that often but they should know that a passport is a difficult thing to fake.

I also have a British driving license, so I'm always nervous in nightclub cues, despite being 23 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,580 ✭✭✭✭klose

FearDark wrote: »
    A friend of mine was turned away from a night club last Saturday for only having his passport on him while two obvious 15/16 year old girls got in with their fake Garda ID's, my friend is 27 by the way and looks it.

Conspiracy? Maybe...

Yeah same story with the nightclubs here, flash a bit of tit and your in!

Not accepting a passport is ridiculous though, if the person asked for it had any queries abr it being changed they could just take it off em and show the guards and the person would know all about it then..

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Such bull! Passports is, if not in the top 3 forms of identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

yeah we were refused buying drink in lidl when we showed our passports... she was like I know its you but i jus cant accept it... i had just turned 18 a few days before and tried to explain to her that it takes at least a couple of weeks to get an age card.... then just went to off licence round the corner, and got served with no I.D. at all..... :rolleyes:

Has anyone heard the carry on that Dunnes are now asking people for I.D to buy lucozade.... Wtf?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,580 ✭✭✭✭klose

.. :rolleyes:

Has anyone heard the carry on that Dunnes are now asking people for I.D to buy lucozade.... Wtf?! :confused:

Serious? erm..expand? Why?thats crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

FearDark wrote: »

Conspiracy? Maybe...

Why are you and your friends going to clubs where 16/17 year olds go.
    Perv Much? Oh, and cool story bro...

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

one of the biggest dissapointments was when i produced my passport on my 18th birthday and they told me its 21s

illegal now. but not then

Source please?

winston82 wrote: »
    Why are you and your friends going to clubs where 16/17 year olds go.
    Perv Much? Oh, and cool story bro...

One horse town, one nightclub... bro.

Serious? erm..expand? Why?thats crazy!

yup was in a Dunnes in Galway a while back had a basket of shoppin with me, normal stuff and the usual bottle of lucozade.... shop assistant asked me for I.D thought I heard wrong, and then I was like "ehm I.D, for what??"

She then explained to me that it was new policy that had just been brought in to ask people for I.D for lucozade and red bull.... I did a bit of givin out but i suppose it wasnt the girl at the tills fault so showed her my I.D anyway and she was like "Im sorry but i had to ask".....

Fair enough she was only doin her job, but wtf, seriously?! I asked her was it new law or sometjin or jus them and she said it was in all Dunnes stores.... Dont remember bein asked since tho....

I can kinda see where people are comin from with red bull, but lucozade?! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

marbar wrote: »
    illegal now. but not then
    Not quite true. There are legal provisions that allow pubs/clubs to set a minimum age above 18 so long as they clearly display this restriction and apply it in good faith.

yup was in a Dunnes in Galway a while back had a basket of shoppin with me, normal stuff and the usual bottle of lucozade.... shop assistant asked me for I.D thought I heard wrong, and then I was like "ehm I.D, for what??"

She then explained to me that it was new policy that had just been brought in to ask people for I.D for lucozade and red bull.... I did a bit of givin out but i suppose it wasnt the girl at the tills fault so showed her my I.D anyway and she was like "Im sorry but i had to ask".....

Fair enough she was only doin her job, but wtf, seriously?! I asked her was it new law or sometjin or jus them and she said it was in all Dunnes stores.... Dont remember bein asked since tho....

I can kinda see where people are comin from with red bull, but lucozade?! :confused:

Deserves a whole thread on its own tbh, scandalous!

haha i know! my friend was with me and we were jus lookin at each other thinkin are they for real?! :confused:

havent heard anyone else mentioning it though? hmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

probably becuase they think your going to drink it with alcohol

:rolleyes:

i would have left my basket on the counter and walked out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

irish-stew wrote: »
    probably becuase they think your going to drink it with alcohol

:rolleyes:

i would have left my basket on the counter and walked out

Too bloody right so would I! Lucozade is a grand drink and I don't think I have ever seen it used as a mixer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Stinicker wrote: »
    Too bloody right so would I! Lucozade is a grand drink and I don't think I have ever seen it used as a mixer.

You haven't lived, have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Stinicker wrote: »

i've seen it used by people who couldn't afford redbull

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    You haven't lived, have you?

I actually don't hardly drink and last had a half glass of white wine with my Christmas dinner;) I guess I am not a true Irishman! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I bring out two forms of ID just incase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

First thing 2morrw gonna buy a pack of Lucozade in Dunnes and see what happens !! ha

Sounds like biggest loada bollox rule going i mean u can mix any soft drink with alcohol if you really want. And anyway vodka and luco is meh :p

Advertisement