Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The stuff you listen to when you are not listening to unz, unz, unz thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Heard Bowie's original version of this on the radio yesterday and it reminded me of how much better Bauhaus' cover was. Pete Murphy gives it the balls it needed and rumour has it that Bowie may have admitted as much.

Another possible hornets nest: I'll say that the Scissor Sisters version of Comfortably Numb is as good as, if not better than, Floyd's.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I do like that Scissor Sisters cover but definitely prefer the original.

I've been dipping back into my childhood / teenage passion of The Smiths again lately. I saw the vinyl box set in Tower which is all of their albums, I'd love it but can't get away with it right now - definitely plan to at some point though, been listening to them now since I was about 12 years old but only ever on CD.

The Smiths- The Headmaster Ritual

The Smiths - The Queen is Dead

The Smiths - Cemetry Gates

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭francois

I do like that Scissor Sisters cover but definitely prefer the original.

I've been dipping back into my childhood / teenage passion of The Smiths again lately. I saw the vinyl box set in Tower which is all of their albums, I'd love it but can't get away with it right now - definitely plan to at some point though, been listening to them now since I was about 12 years old but only ever on CD.

Have a look on discogs, you can pickup most of the original singles for around a fiver

francois wrote: »
    Have a look on discogs, you can pickup most of the original singles for around a fiver

I actually got the 7" singles box set a few years back, it was a reissue and cost about 50 euro, money well spent.

Picked up 'Lazer Guided Melodies' today on vinyl - amazing to hear it now on wax, my first experience of this album was when I was about 16 and recorded from a mate on cassette, picked up the CD a few years later and been a regular ever since. As of today on 180g 2LP - I'm loving this revisit of favourite albums to vinyl but its bloody expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭teR_

• Advertisement

Spiritualized gig was fcking brilliant last night... I was a bit concerned not knowing much of the new material for the album due next month but I was completely blown away, can't wait for the new album now... the opening song to the gig 'Hey Jane' is brilliant, epic at almost 10 mins.

And 'Cop Shoot Cop' was fcking epic too!!!

Great to hear a few other classics thrown in over the course of the night, brilliant performance altogether.

Another LP addition in my quest for favourite albums from over the years to buy them now on vinyl is 'Disintegration' by The Cure... I used to listen to this on my walkman going to school at around 14 years old, 21 years later and still a pleasure to listen to...

The Cure - Homesick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Spiritualized gig was fcking brilliant last night... I was a bit concerned not knowing much of the new material for the album due next month but I was completely blown away, can't wait for the new album now... the opening song to the gig 'Hey Jane' is brilliant, epic at almost 10 mins.

And 'Cop Shoot Cop' was fcking epic too!!!

Great to hear a few other classics thrown in over the course of the night, brilliant performance altogether.

Fckin amazing gig alright. Without a doubt my favourite live band. 5th time seeing them and get blown away every time. Same as yourself, I didn't expect them to play so much of their older stuff. Electric Mainline, Lay Back in the Sun, Stay With Me were brilliant. Electricity into Cop Shoot Cop for the encore. Fantastic.

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Fckin amazing gig alright. Without a doubt my favourite live band. 5th time seeing them and get blown away every time. Same as yourself, I didn't expect them to play so much of their older stuff. Electric Mainline, Lay Back in the Sun, Stay With Me were brilliant. Electricity into Cop Shoot Cop for the encore. Fantastic.

It was my first time to see them live and I certainly hope not the last - I see they are performing Ladies & Gentleman in some UK locations this year, I'd be tempted to get over to one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Mark Ronson & The Business INTL - Somebody to Love Me (live)

http://youtu.be/xImsuqibNVo

Cracking gig, the 2 wig-outs at the start and the end were fantastic, good to hear a few old tracks as well-loved the light show on top of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

The new Meshuggah album is out if anyone is inclined towards some easy listening, foot tapping, sing along, lighter wielding, gentle tunes :p

Been listening to quite a bit of the "other" hardcore lately.

Some craic at those DK gigs I'd say

Like a lot of that stuff as well-Fugazi, The Stupids, Black Flag, Angry Samoans etc-Loads of US hardcore bands used to plat here in the late 80's/early 90's, guys like the Hope Collective used to put them on-therewas a good scene here too, bands like Not Our World and so on, there is a great blog here with ultra rare irish punk/hardcore singles and live sets

http://diyirishhardcorepunkarchive.blogspot.com/

francois wrote: »
    Like a lot of that stuff as well-Fugazi, The Stupids, Black Flag, Angry Samoans etc-Loads of US hardcore bands used to plat here in the late 80's/early 90's, guys like the Hope Collective used to put them on-therewas a good scene here too, bands like Not Our World and so on, there is a great blog here with ultra rare irish punk/hardcore singles and live sets

http://diyirishhardcorepunkarchive.blogspot.com/[/QUOTE]

Cheers, I'll have to check it out. I was always into the Pistols, Clash, SLF etc. but been getting into the more hardcore stuff the last while. Did you catch Jello Biafra in the Button Factory last year by any chance? Most fun I've ever had at a gig. Some buzz up the front. Wrecked by the end of it.

Cheers, I'll have to check it out. I was always into the Pistols, Clash, SLF etc. but been getting into the more hardcore stuff the last while. Did you catch Jello Biafra in the Button Factory last year by any chance? Most fun I've ever had at a gig. Some buzz up the front. Wrecked by the end of it.

Missed that-the buzzcocks and steve ignorant were the last 2 i was at-the damned are playing soon, I'll probably go to that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Nice.... 'Spirit of Eden' by Talk Talk being reissued on vinyl, I'll be grabbing a copy for sure, amazing album.

I Believe in You

*Brand new, official 180g heavyweight vinyl cut from the original analogue master, plus a bonus DVD featuring the album delivered as a 96kHz / 24 bit LPCM stereo mix. The DVD features one extra track - 'John Cope'* One of the most influential albums of the last 20 years available on vinyl for the first time in a generation. It's impossible to overstate the love felt by so many for the two "experimental" Talk Talk albums - 'Spirit of Eden' and 'Laughing Stock'. Basically, following the commercial triumph of their singles "It's My Life", "Life's What You Make It" and album "The Colour of Spring" Talk Talk retreated back into the shadows and produced two albums that defied categorisation. Recorded in near-mythical conditions, Mark Hollis is said to have demanded the band work in almost complete darkness, improvising for hours to produce complex, multi-layered and ultimately completely groundbreaking material. "Spirit Of Eden" is surely one of the most daring departures for a commercially successful bands ever - and if you've yet to hear it - we envy you.
    http://boomkat.com/vinyl/507359-talk-talk-spirit-of-eden-2012-special-edition-with-bonus-dvd

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

gg

fcuk sorry all of the above was posted in this thread instead of another thats why i hay have deleted/edited them ,sorry :(

This last month or so has been all about Lambchop, another band I should have discovered a lot sooner. This from their brilliant album 'Damaged'.

Lambchop - Paperback Bible

• Advertisement

Advertisement