Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Best of luck Fran!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Best of luck Fran. Hope the cold is under control!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

The very best to you! Keep a happy song in your head (I have no idea why I am saying that to you other than Snow White has come to mind) and enjoy the everything!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Best of luck JB, I'll be right behind you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Dory Dory wrote: »
    (I have no idea why I am saying that to you other than Snow White has come to mind)

on JB's log? I wonder why...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Monday
    Nothing, blasted cold again. A long long sleep instead.

Tuesday
    45min turbo with some work
    Set contained 5x2min mod hard, i found these really tough in particular breathing and hr through the roof. This cold is stubborn!! Only for i was on the turbo there would have been snot rockets everywhere:eek: 2min mod hard efforts on 264w/mhr163, 254w/mhr169, 257w/mhr171, 256w/mhr170 and 260w/mhr170.
    Time:45mins, Dist:24.9kms, Power:zap191w/np203w, Cad:81, HR:152, Work:516kj

30min easy run
    Just an easy one to keep the legs turning over. Whilst the legs feel good the upper part of the body does not. Had to drop the pace back a bit to keep hr controlled and in the upper end of easy. This did not feel so easy and normally i could run at this pace all day.
    Time:30:17, Dist:6.49kms, HR:154

Wednesday
    40min swim
    Short enough session with main set 5x100s at -10sec below race pace. All 5 coming in under 1:44 but i was working very hard to hold it.
    Time:40mins, Distance:1600mtrs

Just an easy short run planned for later and finish up packing. That's it until i do sharpen up sessions over in Calella with the two boyos. I can do no more at this stage apart from getting rid of this blasted cold, remaining positive though on that front and just resting when i can.
    I fly out tomorrow evening and hopeful that its a smooth travel experience unlike the well documented Roth escapades.
    All I ask of myself is to cross that finish line happy knowing i have given a good account of myself. If at any stage of the race i am ahead of expectation and i think the sub 10 is on i will literally bury myself on the back end of the run. Most of all its about enjoying it as i have a long winter ahead and i need to have a good race experience to keep me motivated and focussed for next year.
    catweazle wrote: »
    Did she break into your Whey Protein drawer :eek:
    All the best for the weekend, stick to potatoes and veg the night before, although Alberto has us led to believe the beef is very good in Spain as well
    That was silcocks base and not easy to wash off, she thought it was funny!! Might ask for some Contador beef:)
    I expected sub 9:55.

Anything else and there'll be no congratulations.

Good luck, have fun!

I will do my best M.
    Bambaata wrote: »
    Best of luck Fran. Hope the cold is under control!?

Still trying to shift it Ed.
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    The very best to you! Keep a happy song in your head (I have no idea why I am saying that to you other than Snow White has come to mind) and enjoy the everything!!! :D

And i thought we were friends DD, at least up kept "dwarfs" out of it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

RayCun wrote: »

I keep humming the theme tune to the smurfs for some reason.

Abhainn wrote: »
    Best of luck JB, I'll be right behind you;)

I would take that:) See you Friday morning.
    RayCun wrote: »

Not sure, its well known that i am very tall.

tunney wrote: »
    I keep humming the theme tune to the smurfs for some reason.

You started all this height deficiency malarky Tummy.

You started all this height deficiency malarky Tummy.

Not my fault no one noticed that you were "vertically challenged" for so many years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Purely subliminal, I assure you. ;)

No go out there and have some fun!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck Fran. Just keep the pressure off yourself and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Best of luck at weekend JB

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

......... Most of all its about enjoying it as i have a long winter ahead and i need to have a good race experience to keep me motivated and focussed for next year.

Weird. You and I have basically the same S/B/R work put in this year. We are racked side by side and I'm using this race for exactly the same reason you described above... somethings gotta give :D

See you Friday Fran.. safe journey kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Best of luck Fran. Hope everything goes to plan and you have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

All the best JB. Get the gear on and get across the line! Have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Best of luck Fran, lets hope you can put this season behind you and end on a good note i.e. you finish and with a smile on your face :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Good luck Fran, really looking forward to how the race in the race pans out for you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Swam in Calella this evening, Tis a bit rough!

185DC6AF40574E89BDF848E4096107AF-0000331091-0003026921-01024L-FC3F018C52B24FECBDEB4C1B134413DB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

big mce wrote: »
    Swam in Calella this evening, Tis a bit rough!

185DC6AF40574E89BDF848E4096107AF-0000331091-0003026921-01024L-FC3F018C52B24FECBDEB4C1B134413DB.jpg

Not ta tall.. you'l be gggrraanndddd!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Give it socks and stay clear of the paella until after the race ;)

Short enough bike, I had 30mins lads had longer so we compromised on 40mins. Strong enough cross winds today and I was getting blown about a bit with the disc on. HR off the charts so much so it has to be wrong, slightly over 200w with some 2min efforts in between easy.
    Had a few near misses of MCOS snot rockets, appears to be getting over a cold as well.

20min run off the bike with the two lads and I felt very good, around 4:2x pace. Good chat with the two girls after by the pool, like aul wans the two of them :) Some interesting pacing strategies being discussed on the run involving stopping for ice cream.

Feeling relaxed and ready, off to reg and get some lunch with a splash planned for later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Good man, best of luck to you and the lads over there.
    A nice big plate of prawns or some local paella is the obvious choice.

Good luck
    ;)

If the sea is like it was tonight its safe to say I will be in the water a long time, savage swell and we have to swim 2k into what can only be described as endless pool conditions. GULP swim confidence just took a slight knock, back in tomorrow! At least I got some salts in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

If the sea is like it was tonight its safe to say I will be in the water a long time, savage swell and we have to swim 2k into what can only be described as endless pool conditions. GULP swim confidence just took a slight knock, back in tomorrow! At least I got some salts in.

It'll calm
    Winds will be a lot less in the morning
    Whatever happens, keep the head, keep the stroke, don't panic and just keep looking for faster feet to guide you.
    Weather conditions changed day to day (even over the course of hours) in Calella when I was there.
    Lovely spot for a splash though Fran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Have a good one JB. Best of luck.

Today was about getting back down to the sea after last nights dissapointment. Still a swell but not as bad, we had rain along with thunder & lightening for added effect. Michelle stood by worringly as i jumped in (with a spar shopping bag on her head to keep her dry ala rubber bandits)
    Much better today and confidence lifted, swam the first 1650mtrs of the course in 32.44 and sighted well not going to far offline. Threw in a few 20 fast strokes, need to jump on a few feet tomorrow if possible.

Decided against a final bike as conditions too treacherous. Quick run, 15mins and the heavens opened up on the way back. Had to reign it back as doing sub 4min kms but wanted to get out of that torrential rain pronto. I did get that feeling on the run today, the visualisation of getting my reward for all this training came into view. I am ready, its time to fvking do this!!

Nice romantic meal (homecooked pasta) with the Muffin man and his better half along with Michelle, good company, chat and took my mind off what lies ahead tomorrow morning.

Two things have stuck in my mind since leaving on Thursday, both from my two lads.
    Ben - Dad, take it easy don't get sick or go to fast and hurt yourself.
    Ryan - Daddy, go fast and make sure you bring me back a medal as i did not get one last time.
    Both well intended and with different messages. Both comments will stay with me throughout tomorrow.

Sleep time and then race!!

JB out of the water in 1:20 and looking good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done dude. I made a cake and ate a slice in your honour.

Enjoy the celebrations, you deserve them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Great work JB - excellent PB (and a race finish:))!

Enjoy the beers!

Advertisement