Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'll think on it some more.
    K. I've thought on it some more. One suggestion:
    Create an advanced workout in Garmin Training Centre.
    Include an interval session, where instead of reps, you make it time bounded (e.g. repeat until 20 minutes).
    The actual repeat activity should be some arbitrary value, like 1km.
    You can then wrap it all in another loop for your three repetitions, with your rest period. This should do kind of what you are looking for. Here's an example:

168699.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Here's the manual (you lazy bugger!). It looks like it displays:
    Distance
    Pace
    Time (stop-watch time)
    and these are not customisable.

I did read the manual and also dcrainmakers detailed review. I wasn't sure if time was time of day or overall time of the session. Overall time would make most sense, but this is Garmin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Include an interval session, where instead of reps, you make it time bounded (e.g. repeat until 20 minutes).
    You can then wrap it all in another loop for your three repetitions, with your rest period. This should do kind of what you are looking for. Here's an example:

168699.png

What you suggested is what im looking for , i will try that , thanks a million :),

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

That is handy, I am running a very old version of TC which does not have the repeat steps until certain time option... afaik. Time to upgrade.

mloc123 wrote: »
    That is handy, I am running a very old version of TC which does not have the repeat steps until certain time option... afaik. Time to upgrade.
    I never saw it before until I looked, but presumably it must have been there previously, as the watches would need to support that functionality before they'd put it in training Centre. But then it is Garmin. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Old 405 was acting the maggot so called up and Garmin and they sent me out a new watch(only 90 euro at that). Was delighted to have a new watch after months of the other one randomly dying mid session on me. But theres one problem with the new watch(apart from it being yellow) the mile readings are too long. For example I went for a run with a friend the other day and his watch was beeping(autolap)20-30 seconds before mine. Plus the pace reports you recieve after each mile for my watch were way off. His watch would read 5:32 for the previous mile while mine would read 6:04, which is a hell of a difference. I know its my watch thats off because I know the difference between a 5:30 and a 6min mile, the effort was too hard for it to be 6:04. I ran a route last night that I know is exactly 10 miles but the new watch rea it as 9.90. I know it may not seem like much but the pace issue could really screw me up in a race. I mean if Im running along aiming for 5:30s but its only reading 6min miles I'd be overcooking myself without knowing it. Anyway some help would be appreciated. Cheers.

tunguska wrote: »
    Anyway some help would be appreciated. Cheers.
    Hi Tunguska, what kind of acurracy readings are you getting on the satellite screen? Are you running the latest firmware (should be 2.70.0.0)?

If your accuracy is ok, you're running the latest firmware, and you can verify that the distance is out (which would also account for the pace), I'd be getting in contact with Garmin again, and looking for a replacement. They should do this for free, seeing as they gave you the dodgy watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Hi Tunguska, what kind of acurracy readings are you getting on the satellite screen? Are you running the latest firmware (should be 2.70.0.0)?

If your accuracy is ok, you're running the latest firmware, and you can verify that the distance is out (which would also account for the pace), I'd be getting in contact with Garmin again, and looking for a replacement. They should do this for free, seeing as they gave you the dodgy watch.

I did call them again and the guy told me to do a master reset, which I did, but its still out. I checked the satelites and the accuracy is fluctuating between 22% and 28%. Doesnt sound right.

tunguska wrote: »
    I did call them again and the guy told me to do a master reset, which I did, but its still out. I checked the satelites and the accuracy is fluctuating between 22% and 28%. Doesnt sound right.
    That should be in metres or feet, depending on whether you have the watch set to statue or metric. 22-28 feet would be pretty good, but 22-28 metres would be pretty sh!te. Having said that, I struggled to get a good satellite signal today and ended up standing around for 5 minutes. Do you know which it is, metres or feet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭B Morrissey

Im new enough to triathlon and was considering buying a gps watch - the 310xt seems to be a good all round watch - is it due for replacement soon as it seems to be around for a couple of years and would i be better off holding out if so - also if you had a garmin 500 cycle computer as well would the cadence unit and heart strap transmit to both the 500 and the 310xt simultaneously as the 500 would be easier to see your average speed etc when on the tri bars -any advice appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Pretty sure that the HR strap will only link with one unit at a time. You can set the 310xt screen to have 4 data fields showing at a time. I can't see there as being much to gain from having the 310xt and the edge 500.

I'm trying to think of more reasons to justify getting myself the 800 at the moment.

Im new enough to triathlon and was considering buying a gps watch - the 310xt seems to be a good all round watch - is it due for replacement soon as it seems to be around for a couple of years
    Don't have one, but it's not out that long. Maybe 18-24 months? (sure I'll be corrected!). Thing is, buying a new Garmin model doesn't necessarily represent good value for money. Like other 'must have' niche electronics, they are released at a premium price (which drops over the next 12-24 months) and usually include bugs that may or may not be addressed by a firmware upgrade. If a model replacement is due, you're better off trying to find a better price on the 310xt.

Robin: I would've thought that the HRM strap would send information only, and wouldn't necessarily receive information, so you could theoretically pair it with as many devices as you wanted. Could be wrong though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Robin: I would've thought that the HRM strap would send information only, and wouldn't necessarily receive information, so you could theoretically pair it with as many devices as you wanted. Could be wrong though.

I'll charge up my 405 and see what happens...

Edit: I've just spotted a 310xt review dated from September 2009, that probably means it came out in the US at the end of '09 and we couldn't get it until early '10.

Seems Krusty was right and you can pair the HR monitor with multiple devices.

robinph wrote: »
    Seems Krusty was right and you can pair the HR monitor with multiple devices.
    Funnily enough, I was warming down with a couple of easy miles yesterday after the DLR Bay 10k, and happened to pass the OH who was finishing her race. Her 405 picked up my HRM for around 20 seconds (which I must have previously paired to her watch at some point in the past), and gave her a HR reading of 132 blips on the finishing straight of the 10k. Must un-pair the HRM from her watch at some point (if that's possible!).

Wasn't that when you had some runs uploaded to Garmin and categorised them as walks or something so you could spot the OH's ones from yours?

Wasn't that when you had some runs uploaded to Garmin and categorised them as walks or something so you could spot the OH's ones from yours?
    Nah, I think back then, she was using my watch. Now we're a three Garmin 405 family (long story!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I've been trying without success to upload my race this evening to GarminConnect. I saw a message on the site which said there was an upgrade and they are dealing with feedback, whatever that means. Funnily enough, I noticed on my dashboard that there was a run uploaded in my name which wasn't my run. I didn't recognise it wherever it was. Strange goings on.

I've been trying without success to upload my race this evening to GarminConnect. I saw a message on the site which said there was an upgrade and they are dealing with feedback, whatever that means. Funnily enough, I noticed on my dashboard that there was a run uploaded in my name which wasn't my run. I didn't recognise it wherever it was. Strange goings on.
    I uploaded a run last night too. They had upgraded the Web-interface, but half of the controls didn't work in Google chrome. They've subsequently rolled back the changes. Shoddy workmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I uploaded a run last night too. They had upgraded the Web-interface, but half of the controls didn't work in Google chrome. They've subsequently rolled back the changes. Shoddy workmanship.

There was a lot of unhappy people giving feedback to garmin on their facebook page today. Their test manager might be looking for another job... thats if they had a test manager judging by the mess they made of it.

• Advertisement

What new widgets are we meant to be getting?

What new widgets are we meant to be getting?
    Course Creator and Workout Creator apparently and a new layout.
    Didn't add up to much when I saw it briefly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

message on garmin 405 read ' memory full delete old stuff' i ignored it a few times stupidly. the last part of my last interval session was lost because of this. i suppose there is no way of getting it back? my own fault really.

message on garmin 405 read ' memory full delete old stuff' i ignored it a few times stupidly. the last part of my last interval session was lost because of this. i suppose there is no way of getting it back? my own fault really.
    Nope. It should still have the overall metrics (lap distance/pace), just no track-points/real-time data.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Anyone else having issues with GC for the past few evenings?
    It's trying to upload the page for me but failing to load the map on dashboard correctly.
    This results in the site failing to load the 'UPLOAD' button, thereby refusing me the opportunity to load my data!!

I know the main issues about the site and the botched redesign launch but I believe most can now at least go back in and load up new sessions from their watches, ya?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I've been manually uploading and have had no probs. In training center click your activity and export it to your desktop and then on garmin collect click manual upload. Might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Thanks Woddle...I've manually created the basic run in GC but still no link to watch for splits, etc.

I was expecting the Upload function to have returned before now and am getting worried that maybe the issue is unique to my account/watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Hi Guys,
    Any chance someone could guide me through editing tonights run and then getting it back into GC or maybe a link to a tutorial. Was sure I switched the watch off at the end of the run but mustn't have :ohttp://connect.garmin.com/activity/104293384
    Cheers,
    Neil

neilc wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Any chance someone could guide me through editing tonights run and then getting it back into GC or maybe a link to a tutorial. Was sure I switched the watch off at the end of the run but mustn't have :ohttp://connect.garmin.com/activity/104293384
    Cheers,
    Neil
    I think I wrote instructions a couple of times on this thread previously, but you'll have to use the search tool to find them (not so easy). If you give me a day or two, I'll do it for you.

However, if your event finished exactly after the lap 12 split, then you can just delete the extra laps in Garmin Training Centre (laps 13, 14, 15), export the activity from GTC to your desktop, and then do a manual upload to Garmin Connect (if it's working!).

• Advertisement

I think I wrote instructions a couple of times on this thread previously, but you'll have to use the search tool to find them (not so easy). If you give me a day or two, I'll do it for you.

Time to stop putting every Garmin question in the same thread so as to make searching easier maybe?

Advertisement