Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

...and here you go. Took about 30 seconds..

Just download the file, rename it from .txt to .tcx and import it into Garmin Training Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Got the 405 recently and the pace reading seems to be really slow to change when i up my speed , has anyone else found this ? Does the watch wait for your pace to stablilise before displaying pace or what ?
    it seems to be affecting my splits for my interval sessions

Seres wrote: »
    Got the 405 recently and the pace reading seems to be really slow to change when i up my speed , has anyone else found this ? Does the watch wait for your pace to stablilise before displaying pace or what ?
    it seems to be affecting my splits for my interval sessions
    Hi Seres, I have only ever had a 405, so wouldn't have noticed it, but you may be correct. If I remember correctly, the 305 had the option to change the data sampling rate (how often it takes a data reading) while the 405 only has smart recording available (a data-point approximately every 1-4 seconds), so this could result in a slower update when changing pace (if you had the 305set up to do more frequent sampling).

When running an interval session, I typically create the workout in Garmin Training Centre, and what displays on the screen is the average pace for the specific interval, rather than the real-time pace. I find this handier for getting the average speed over the entire course of the interval. But it can be tough when doing shorter intervals (200m-400m), particularly in an area with heavy tree-line/obscured satellite view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

...and here you go. Took about 30 seconds..

Just download the file, rename it from .txt to .tcx and import it into Garmin Training Centre.

Nice one Krusty.

I've opened the file, and while the first thing that struck me was that it looks like something from The Matrix, I was able to decipher the sections where you have specified the duration of each split.

I will use this file as a template to create all the other workouts.

Thanks again

dev123 wrote: »
    Nice one Krusty.

I've opened the file, and while the first thing that struck me was that it looks like something from The Matrix, I was able to decipher the sections where you have specified the duration of each split.

I will use this file as a template to create all the other workouts.

Thanks again
    No bother. It looks complex, but is actually really simple. The only thing I don't do is set targets for each of the activities (i.e. Tempo HR or Tempo pace), as personally I don't find this functionality too useful.

The other thing you may want to do is insert a 'pause' or in my case a 'stretching break' between certain pools of activities, with the instruction 'go until I press the lap button'. Nothing worse than finding yourself on the wrong side of a busy street when you are supposed to kick off the interval session or tempo run. So using a step like this, you can wait until you're set-up for the next portion of the run, and hit the 'lap' button to begin the next portion (or even, batman-forbid, do some stretching!).

• Advertisement

Hi Seres, I have only ever had a 405, so wouldn't have noticed it, but you may be correct. If I remember correctly, the 305 had the option to change the data sampling rate (how often it takes a data reading) while the 405 only has smart recording available (a data-point approximately every 1-4 seconds), so this could result in a slower update when changing pace (if you had the 305set up to do more frequent sampling).

When running an interval session, I typically create the workout in Garmin Training Centre, and what displays on the screen is the average pace for the specific interval, rather than the real-time pace. I find this handier for getting the average speed over the entire course of the interval. But it can be tough when doing shorter intervals (200m-400m), particularly in an area with heavy tree-line/obscured satellite view.
    thanks , ya the area i was running in was very sheltered with trees , thought bout this too but had the session already started at that stage , will know for again :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There was a recent update to the 310 that changed the sampling rate, or gave an option to change the sampling rate.

Not bothered playing with that part though as I'm happy enough as is, but there may well be new things added to the 405's as well in another update if you're ever bored enough to read the change logs.

robinph wrote: »
    Not bothered playing with that part though as I'm happy enough as is, but there may well be new things added to the 405's as well in another update if you're ever bored enough to read the change logs.
    They haven't added that functionality (which is a shame). Storage space on the watch isn't a big deal for me, as I typically upload after finishing each activity, and remove the activity from the watch at the same time (in the ANT settings).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I slipped and fell on a grassy mountain, and must have impacted my Garmin 305. It separated, photo below. If I hold the pieces together, I can still turn it on, and view recent data. However, it isn't recognized when I put it in its cradle, to download info.

No visible damage or anything, and the impact was on soft ground. Any tips?:)

[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-uCa2jbH6k4o/TiSQMeiUnjI/AAAAAAAAAdY/7s-x1n4aBCM/s288/P7180447.jpg" height="216" width="288"[/IMG]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I slipped and fell on a grassy mountain, and must have impacted my Garmin 305. It separated, photo below. If I hold the pieces together, I can still turn it on, and view recent data. However, it isn't recognized when I put it in its cradle, to download info.

No visible damage or anything, and the impact was on soft ground. Any tips?:)

[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-uCa2jbH6k4o/TiSQMeiUnjI/AAAAAAAAAdY/7s-x1n4aBCM/s288/P7180447.jpg" height="216" width="288"[/IMG]

You better glue it together or else you're not an ultra runner ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

hi lads just wondering what software you use with your watches, i recently bought a garmin 305 and dont really know how to use it yet. I have just been using it to measure distance and time and the time of laps but other than that I dont have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

m.j.w wrote: »
    hi lads just wondering what software you use with your watches, i recently bought a garmin 305 and dont really know how to use it yet. I have just been using it to measure distance and time and the time of laps but other than that I dont have a clue.

Your watch should have come with a CD with basic software called Training Center. That'll get you started. Alternatively you can register, for free, on garmin connect and load your runs there. The other one I've used before is Sportstracks which is similar to Garmin Connect except for it allows me to keep my work-outs stored locally on my PC. So basically you have a few options to play around with.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

I know battery life has been covered earlier in the debate, but thought I would raise again.

I have a 405. Worked fine with no issues, but after trainign for Dublin 2010 (about 8 months of ownership) the batttery life was reducing and reducing to the extent that it would not hold a full charge on standby overnight and a full charge lasted to about 20 miles on the day.

So I sent it back. No issuses, Gramin replaced it with a factory reconditioned model and all was good in the world again.

Now after another 8 months with the new one, I am seeing the same starting to happen again. Full charge, a 1 hour cycle (on wrist not mounted), a day at work on standby and it runs out after 20 minutes of the ride home!

Am I doing it worng :confused:

I try not to leave it on charge after its completed (happens sometimes, but not for long), I keep it out of range of the ANT receiver when on standby, so its not constantly connecting to the PC. I lock the bezel when storing, so its not being woken from standby with things banging against it. No idea what is going on.

Also, what are the chances of Garmin replacing it again?

Hi MaroonTam, are you turning off GPS, when not using the watch? Though it shouldn't have an impact on the battery when in standby, I have found that it can. BTW: I've had the same 405 for four years (until recently, when I left it in the wrong continent) and it still maintained a similar charge to when I first got it. I leave it in the charging harness for prolonged periods of time. I have used it almost every day for the last 3 or 4 years though, so that may have a positive impact on maintaining the battery life.

Thanks KK.

No I dont switch off the GPS, I thought it did that when it went into stand-by...

Hi folks,

Not sure if this is the right place for this but it is GPS related.

I'm just back in from a 4 mile run which I have just uploaded onto SportTracks. Was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between my splits times when I display the splits as 'Recorded Laps' as opposed to 'Miles'. I have Autolap set to 1 mile.

For 'Recorded Laps' it is giving me:

Total: 31.39

Where as when I choose to display the splits in miles I get:

Total: 31.16

Yet the distance for each split is 1 mile.

Just curious is all.

Thanks,
    Dev

MaroonTam wrote: »
    I know battery life has been covered earlier in the debate, but thought I would raise again.

I have a 405. Worked fine with no issues, but after trainign for Dublin 2010 (about 8 months of ownership) the batttery life was reducing and reducing to the extent that it would not hold a full charge on standby overnight and a full charge lasted to about 20 miles on the day.

So I sent it back. No issuses, Gramin replaced it with a factory reconditioned model and all was good in the world again.

Now after another 8 months with the new one, I am seeing the same starting to happen again. Full charge, a 1 hour cycle (on wrist not mounted), a day at work on standby and it runs out after 20 minutes of the ride home!

Am I doing it worng :confused:

I try not to leave it on charge after its completed (happens sometimes, but not for long), I keep it out of range of the ANT receiver when on standby, so its not constantly connecting to the PC. I lock the bezel when storing, so its not being woken from standby with things banging against it. No idea what is going on.

Also, what are the chances of Garmin replacing it again?

To answer my own question (and demonstrate the power of the almighty Google)... I found this on the FAQs on the Garmin page. Article is from January this year. Going to give it a bash and see if it helps

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={81e23610-1a95-11e0-dd3f-000000000000}

MaroonTam wrote: »
    That may help, particularly if your firmware is not up to date, but I would also get into the habit of switching off the GPS after every workout. My suspicion that there is a continual drain, is that if I leave GPS on, and head out for my next activity, it only takes a second for the watch to acquire satellites, rather than the usual 1-2 mins. So I suspect that for whatever reason it may be continually looking for satellite signals when in standy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Oswalder

Folks,
    I got my FR 405CX questions answered by this thread, so I'm hoping you can help with my husband's issue.

He just got his first watch - a FR205. He is setting up the four data fields he wants to be able to see during his runs. He wants to show (running) time, distance, last lap pace and average speed.

When he selects average speed for one of his data fields, he can't see any pace options when selecting the next one. If he selects pace, then the speed options vanish from the list of available data that can be displayed in any of the remaining three data fields.

Is there a fix for this, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Hey guys, I hope someone can help me on this one or point me in the right direction.

Lately when I upload from my forerunner 305 to the Garmin Connect site I don't get any maps or charts, I only get the numbers. Has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers El D.

• Advertisement

Hey guys, I hope someone can help me on this one or point me in the right direction.

Lately when I upload from my forerunner 305 to the Garmin Connect site I don't get any maps or charts, I only get the numbers. Has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers El D.
    Hi El Director, this has come up a couple of times before. Typically its because your watch memory is all full up, so it no longer records track-points. So you just need to clear out the previous activities/history and that should sort out your problem. Unfortunately, it means that you won't get those track-points for your previous activities back. They're gone for good.

If you regularly clear out the old activities/history on the watch, and memory isn't full, then you may need to do a hard reset. Hope that helps.

Oswalder wrote: »
    When he selects average speed for one of his data fields, he can't see any pace options when selecting the next one. If he selects pace, then the speed options vanish from the list of available data that can be displayed in any of the remaining three data fields.
    Sorry Oswalder, I don't have a 205/305 so can't check, but it sounds like it forces you to choose between speed and pace. Speed is typically only relevant on treadmills (or on a bike) and pace is used more often to reflect running progress. Does the 205 support multiple data screens? If so, perhaps he could have an additional data screen with speed on it?

I'm just back in from a 4 mile run which I have just uploaded onto SportTracks. Was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between my splits times when I display the splits as 'Recorded Laps' as opposed to 'Miles'. I have Autolap set to 1 mile.
    Do you have a link to the activity in Garmin Connect?
    The difference could be related to having auto-pause enabled on the watch, whereby Sportstracks is using the actual start/finish times for each lap when displaying in miles Vs the recorded time to complete when displaying in recorded laps.

Sportstracks may be doing some additional processing in the distance (normalizing the data in some way), so that you're mile splits are occurring in different places to you recorded splits. Can you zoom in and see?

Do you have a link to the activity in Garmin Connect?
    The difference could be related to having auto-pause enabled on the watch, whereby Sportstracks is using the actual start/finish times for each lap when displaying in miles Vs the recorded time to complete when displaying in recorded laps.

Sportstracks may be doing some additional processing in the distance (normalizing the data in some way), so that you're mile splits are occurring in different places to you recorded splits. Can you zoom in and see?

Hey Krusty,

I don't have auto-pause enabled at the moment.

I will put the run up in Garmin Connect and zoom in to see if there is anything obvious regarding additional smoothing of data.

Thanks,
    Dev

I will put the run up in Garmin Connect and zoom in to see if there is anything obvious regarding additional smoothing of data.
    It'd be interesting to see Time/Moving Time/Elapsed Time to see which one most closely matches your Sportstracks total time. However, you'll definitely solve this one a lot easier by asking the Sportstracks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Thanks for that Krusty, I will give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Can anyone confirm if the forerunner 110 can display overall time or just lap time and time of day?

I was doin a tempo session yesterday 3*20min @ 4.15km/pace with 2mins rest , the 20min tempo gives me the rolling av pace throughout the tempo but not the pace i do each km at during the tempo , is there somethin i can do to give me that info ? , i entered the session in as intervals in workout

mloc123 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if the forerunner 110 can display overall time or just lap time and time of day?
    Here's the manual (you lazy bugger!). It looks like it displays:
    Distance
    Pace
    Time (stop-watch time)
    and these are not customisable.

• Advertisement

Seres wrote: »
    I was doin a tempo session yesterday 3*20min @ 4.15km/pace with 2mins rest , the 20min tempo gives me the rolling av pace throughout the tempo but not the pace i do each km at during the tempo , is there somethin i can do to give me that info ? , i entered the session in as intervals in workout
    Hi Seres, by the sounds of things, you want to do a tempo session, but get feedback on your lap times, at the end of each Kilometer?

The problem is that when you select something like an interval session (if I remember correctly) it over-rides the auto-lap functionality, so you no longer get kilometer splits. You want your splits organized by both time and distance, and you can't really have it both ways.

You could set up a simple workout on the watch, based on [Time] set it to 20 minutes, and then you'll still get your lap splits. the only problem is you'd have to kick it off again for each 20 minute block, which would be a pain in a$$. I'll think on it some more.

Advertisement