Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why planet - x?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Lumen wrote: »
    I have never seen any good objective data to support this. It seems like a pretty easy thing to test using a crank powermeter and a powertap. I would have thought that if it were provable then one of the manufacturers would have proved it.

I don't doubt that an amount of stiffness is good, at the front end to give good handling on descents, and at the rear to prevent brake rub, but am not convinced of the efficiency argument.

Having done tests with SRMs and PTs you'd be amazed at what can cause power to be lost. I've never tested for flex but I have seen dirty chains, chain lines and the like can all cost up to 5% of total power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Lumen wrote: »
    I have never seen any good objective data to support this. It seems like a pretty easy thing to test using a crank powermeter and a powertap. I would have thought that if it were provable then one of the manufacturers would have proved it.

I don't doubt that an amount of stiffness is good, at the front end to give good handling on descents, and at the rear to prevent brake rub, but am not convinced of the efficiency argument.

I am not claiming this for fact, just my non scientific understanding of the literature.
    It strikes me that if stiff is more responsive then it would not be surprising if more of the energy from pedal rotation went into propulsion and less went into the ether.
    But as you say it should be easy to verify this.
    My Kuota corners and descends better than the Dolan. It also feels significantly faster.
    Maybe its my impression and not reality. I don't really know. However for the above mentioned reasons it is a more enjoyable ride.
    I have an alu frame Orbea that is simply horrible to descend on. Just doesn't feel stable. Result is I rarely bring it up the hills.

Advertisement