Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why planet - x?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

It's a fair point, I 'll try to put in a different way.

There are few reviews out there saying they are grand for the price, there are few hundred happy owners, there are people racing and winning on this frame and then there are a couple saying they are rubbish. I am not affected by the syndrome of godliking what I own and I tend to give credit when things deserve it and bury them when they don't. At this case I know what I bought, what I paid for so I judge accordingly.

I obviously don't have any data apart from my user experience and the above facts. You are claiming though it's a flexy frame. How did you find out that the frame is flexing? It's not an easy task to figure. You might have had bad crankset, crappy wheels, flexy bars and stem etc etc.. How did you came to this conclusion? I am not trying to being smart or ironic here, I am genuinely curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

A certain member here who rides a PX has told me that he finds the frame a bit flexy.
    Just sayin. Not that it mattets to me.

I hate consensus. That's all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Personally I quite like the look of them especially in White.

For the money they are exceptional value.

There are stiffer and less flexy frames but there are also vastly more expensive frames...

Consensus happens when you have a generally good or bad product.

For example, Toyota makes great cars that last for years and years. That's the general consensus, and it has built this reputation through the years and even the recent events with the pedal can not change it.

You don't have to agree on the aesthetics part, that's totally personal but you have to agree that they were a great value for the money. There are so many ways to differ; buying something that a lot of people have doesn't make you blind mass.

And yes I am arguing on such grounds for the sake of being argumentative.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This is old but interesting.
    Planet X founder Dave Loughran...A very keen triathlete

I'm out. Who wants to buy a couple of Planet-Xs?

• Advertisement

Nanolight High Modulus SRAM Red Limited Edition £1,499.00. Complete bike weight 6.90 kg.

That's nuts. I paid almost that much for the groupset alone last year.

edit: because I'm an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i was lucky i bought mine just before the prices went up.

it's my first bike, and i love it. that what you want from that i probably don't know better.

have to admit though the newer decals are hideous compared the old thin line font.

i'd say i've done about 400k on mine in the space of 3 months (included a period when i was injured) and every metre of that has been an absolute joy, i look forward to getting out on the bike but at the moment that's only on weekends. now that's not to say that if i spent the same amount of money on another bike i wouldn't be itching to get out on it but there's someone special (i think) about riding a carbon bike since it's lighter than most i don't feel the need to shave my legs for those extra seconds :pac:

i took a punt from recommendations here and i'm most happy with that and at the end of it all, that's all that really matters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

it's my first bike, and i love it. that what you want from that i probably don't know better.

thats all you want, if you love it, who cares about anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Lumen wrote: »
    Nanolight High Modulus SRAM Red Limited Edition £1,499.00. Complete bike weight 6.90 kg.

That's nuts. I paid almost that much for the groupset alone last year.

edit: because I'm an idiot.

Remember when you were younger the free toys you got with your breakfast cereals?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Has the internet decided whether the nanolight is any good or not yet?

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Remember when you were younger the free toys you got with your breakfast cereals?

They were brilliant!

@tunney - are you saying that if you put baking powder in a planet-x they will propel themselves around the bathtub?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Just noticed a £100 pound difference between the P-X nanolight frame and the nanolight HM frame.

The difference? The HM frame apprently is 99g lighter (frame size?) and will accomodate 23mm clincher tyres, the other tubs only.

£100 pounds more to be able to use clincher tyres (forget the small weight saving) - Barking

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

niceonetom wrote: »

someone here reckons that they only have 1mm clearance with 23mm tyres :eek:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16282684

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Just noticed a £100 pound difference between the P-X nanolight frame and the nanolight HM frame.

The difference? The HM frame apprently is 99g lighter (frame size?) and will accomodate 23mm clincher tyres, the other tubs only.

£100 pounds more to be able to use clincher tyres (forget the small weight saving) - Barking

Jesus. I hadn't noticed that.

Nanolight High Modulus:
    Wheels 700C. with clearance for 22mm tyres

That, if accurate, is a total deal breaker. I wouldn't go below 23mm in Ireland.

No but it comes with great excuse: I am slow because it's flexy.

True, I was reading somewhere that PlanetX suggests to use 22mm tyres.

Edit: Tom I am using 22mm in front the last 6 months, and it's really grand, 24 on the back though.

Lets hope this frame doesn't flex :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They were brilliant!

I wish I still had the Corn Flakes wheel spoke reflectors. (And a TT bike so I could show up to a triathlon with them on the wheels).

Jesus. I hadn't noticed that.

Nanolight High Modulus:
    Wheels 700C. with clearance for 22mm tyres

That, if accurate, is a total deal breaker. I wouldn't go below 23mm in Ireland.

Planet X High Modulus Tyre Clearance
    The Nanolight is designed as a thoroughbred race machine, we pushed all elements of the frames design to make it light and rigid. On the original this meant tight wheel clearances, as it's designed for use with tubulars. The feedback from customers on this frame has been very positive but the some commented that they wanted more clearance to run a wider tyre.

Introducing the High Modulus Nanolight. Not only is it 99 grams lighter than the original (for the white medium version) it's rear-stays have been modified to comfortably accommodate 23mm clinchers, making it perfect for both balls-out racing and steady training rides.

See the image for a detailed shot of the frame with 23 mm Scwalbe Blizzard's you can clearly see ample frame clearance.

nano-clear-3.jpg

nano-clear-4.jpg

Stark wrote: »
    I wish I still had the Corn Flakes wheel spoke reflectors. (And a TT bike so I could show up to a triathlon with them on the wheels).

I'm sure your overweight cycling buddies in full Disco (or Mellow Johnnies) gear would appreciate it as you climb the Col de Sally Gap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Pink Brakes :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

RobFowl wrote: »
    Pink Brakes

...and what looks like a rounded off bolt.

FWIW I have those brakes (in red) on one of my bikes and they work very well, from a braking perspective. The quick release isn't great - the same design as my EuroX cantis so the roundy bit binds to the forky bit - but I'm running wide rims and don't need neutral service wheel changes on that bike so it's not an issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

RobFowl wrote: »
    Pink Brakes :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I know... I want them so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sonas060

so what are the alternatives to a Planet x???

Boardman has gone back up in price
    focus is alot heavier (does it matter?)

just interested to see what other options there are( for similar money), thanks

sonas060 wrote: »

It depends entirely on your criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Weight on the bike for most road bikes for the average rider should not IMO be the most important factor.
    Anywhere between 7 and 9kg is fine for many folk. When you are doing a lot of climbing (real climbing) and cannot shift any further weight then think about prioritizing bike weight.
    Consider.
    1. Above all comfort. Get a frame that fits you and is comfortable to spend time on. Skimp on wheels and parts but don't buy a poor or uncomfortable frame.
    You can update wheels tyres components as budget allows.
    2. Efficiency. In general a stiffer bike loses less energy thus is more efficient. However for some people a very stiff bike can be uncomfortable on say Irish roads. I have a pretty stiff frame that is a joy to ride apart from a few very bad roads where I can feel way too much of the road.
    Stiffness is not everything, and for a leisure cyclist like many here shouldn't be that much if an issue at all unless bike is crazy flexy.

ROK ON wrote: »
    In general a stiffer bike loses less energy thus is more efficient.

I have never seen any good objective data to support this. It seems like a pretty easy thing to test using a crank powermeter and a powertap. I would have thought that if it were provable then one of the manufacturers would have proved it.

I don't doubt that an amount of stiffness is good, at the front end to give good handling on descents, and at the rear to prevent brake rub, but am not convinced of the efficiency argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sonas060

It depends entirely on your criteria.

just a bike for doing leisure cycles and sportifs,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

this is still on sale ;)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Road_Sale/33/Focus_Cayo_105_Compact_2010/5360045299/

its below 9kg (at my weight - 100kg, i'm glad i didnt buy a planet x)

• Advertisement

just a bike for doing leisure cycles and sportifs,

That's not enough to make a definitive decision on any bike.

For instance, you might have preferences in any of following areas:

- Which groupset brand?
    - 9 speed or 10 speed?
    - Various degres of mudguard compatibility and tyre clearance
    - Support from your local bike shop
    - Comfort vs speed
    - Aesthetics
    - Various geometries to better your current and future structural fitness (flexibility, core strength etc)

I'm not asking for the answers to these questions. :)

Advertisement