Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrigaline Western Relief Road

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

I think the main work to be done on the existing (unopened) soccer club road was to enhance the cycle and pedestrian facilities. There are some photos of it in the October 2021 gallery (last six photos), the January 2022 gallery (third last photo), the February 2022 Gallery (photos 17-23) and the March 2022 gallery (last 5 photos). The March batch appear to show that the the most of the work has bee completed with just surfacing/re-surfacing and furnishing outstanding. Which puts it on a par with the main section.

Latest update form the website. https://www.cwrr.ie/news/ No mention of completion/opening dates other than the original statement " construction activities due to commence in April 2021 and will continue for 18 months"

May Works:

• Earthworks complete;
    • Retaining walls complete;
    • Bridge complete;
    • M&E fitout to pumping stations complete – awaiting commissioning;
    • Continued drainage works;
    • Continued watermain works;
    • Gasmain complete;
    • Continued upgrade works to Soccer Club Road;
    • Continued utilities side wide;
    • Continued kerbing site wide;
    • Pavement works commenced;
    • Continued Tie works at Ballea Road and Kilmoney Road;
    • Continued landscaping works;
    • Safety Barrier complete;
    • Continued footpaths and finishes;

June Works:

• Commence public lighting;
    • Commence traffic lights;
    • Commission pumping stations;
    • Complete watermains;
    • Complete drainage works;
    • Continue fencing;
    • Continue footpaths and finishes;
    • Continue pavement works;
    • Continue kerbing;
    • Continue Tie in works at Ballea and Kilmoney;

Other News:

• Roadworks on Ballea Road with lane restrictions during off peak hours – next 2 weeks
    • Roadworks on Kilmoney Road with lane restrictions during off peak hours – next 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

It's to see they decided to tree line it! A lot of Carrigaline is tree lined, like the R611 up to Main Street, so it's great to see the same design going into new roads. Does anyone know if the cycling facilities are actual cycle lanes or just 'shared space'?

It’s a mix. The legend is as follows:

Green - Footpath to be open to the public upon completion of construction

Navy - Shared ?/cyclelane to be open to the public upon completion of construction

Red - Dedicated cycle lane to be open to the public upon completion of construction

One of the great benefits that the CWRR will bring is the removal of traffic from the main street. In parallel with the CWRR construction, Cork County Council have been advancing a Public Relm improvement plan for Carrigaline. The proposals have been published and are available on the County Council website. https://www.corkcoco.ie/en/planning/traffic-transport/statutory-processes The public consultation is now open and submissions may be made up 5pm on Tuesday 22nd July. This is your opportunity to look at what is planned and voice your concerns and suggestions. The web page linked to above includes a link to the virtual public consultation room.

Appreciate that this is off topic, but hoping that the mods will agree that it is likely to be of interest to those following this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yep it's pretty much on-topic. It basically answers DylanQuestion's question above.

This road isn't really intended as a cycle corridor, though some cycle facilities are planned along it. What this route is for, is to allow the main street to become a viable cycle corridor and destination in its own right. This road won't be extremely attractive for utility cycling, as it's more of a "ring road". The main street can now become a destination and corridor for cycle traffic.

I think it's great that the council have sought to link the two and discuss the Carrigaline TPREP all as one big "bucket" of works. For too long we've not done integrated transport planning, and I think/hope this scheme is the start of a new, better overall approach.

Additional notes, the cycle network will be West of this road, according to the TPREP: "a new pedestrian/cycle link through existing green fields to the south of the Owenabue River, a new river crossing (pedestrians/ cyclists only) tying in with the existing part built roadway to the south of the soccer club."

Excellent video posted by the redoubtable DroneHawk a few weeks back:

Some photos on the project Website posted in July also showing how close the road is to completion https://www.cwrr.ie/gallery/

There are also some photos on the project website of a load of councillors attending a phot op, if that sort of thing appeals to you.

The July/August work program is as follows:

July Works:

• M&E fitout to pumping stations complete – awaiting commissioning;
    • Continued drainage works;
    • Continued watermain works;
    • Continued upgrade works to Soccer Club Road;
    • Continued utilities side wide;
    • Continued kerbing site wide;
    • Pavement works continued;
    • Continued Tie works at Ballea Road and Kilmoney Road;
    • Continued landscaping works;
    • Continued footpaths and finished;
    • Continued public lighting;

August Works:

• Continue public lighting;
    • Commence traffic lights;
    • Commence Signage;
    • Commission pumping stations;
    • Complete watermains;
    • Complete drainage works;
    • Continue fencing;
    • Continue footpaths and finishes;
    • Continue pavement works;
    • Continue kerbing;
    • Continue Tie in works at Ballea and Kilmoney;

Other News:

• Roadworks on Ballea Road with lane restrictions during off peak hours – next 2 weeks
    • Roadworks on Kilmoney Road with lane restrictions during off peak hours – next 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

I don't think it will be open too soon by the looks of everything. When do people think? I wouldn't say earlier than October with all the tie-in still needed to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 the deuce

the cwrr website is now stating

Road Opening in September 2022!!

• Advertisement

Found this online too. Looks to be the most up-to-date drone flyover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I honestly don’t think this will solve Carrigaline’s issues. There will be just a single access point to the new M28 with all traffic funnelled along this route.

Compare this to Ballincollig which has 3 access points to the N22 / N40.

Which issues though? I agree that on its own, this road is largely pointless. I think the biggest issue in Carrigaline is the very heavy car dependence. The Carrigaline TPREP documents go into some details on how the proposed road network might end up.

I believe the aim is to remove through traffic from the Main Street as part of the Carrigaline TPREP, making a new "town centre" and facilitating public transport and active transport through and to the Main Street. This road might work for that purpose, as part of an overall approach, maybe?

The Part 8 planning for the mainstreet upgrades and the greenway have been given the thumbs up. Apparently a lot of the one-way traffic changes can be done overnight once this road is open, so we could see big changes very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

I’m disappointed that a one-way system is being adopted: these are proven to increase the speed of motor traffic and make pedestrian movements more dangerous. Over the last few years, Cork City has unwound a lot of its one-ways – especially along the quays – and there’s a long-term plan to return as many streets to two-way traffic as possible, in order to lower peak traffic speeds and reduce risk of injury to other users.

I suppose it's not a true one-way system as it will have a bus-lane going the other way. They're narrowing the road too and putting in a 30 km/h limit. Other traffic calming measures are also planned so they may help

It's a step in the right direction overall I think. You can't have 2-way traffic, because it's the on-street parking that's most desired.

It's definitely not perfect, but I believe that getting any cars at all out of the main street was an enormous battle. The retention of on-street parking is heavily entrenched. People might hide behind goods loading/unloading or faux "blue badge concern" but really it's the on-street parking that they don't want to lose.

Maybe I'd have preferred to see a bus gate South of the Garda Station and North of the bridge, but that was a step too far, or a step too radical for the local businesses. And in fairness to them, it is something of a leap into the unknown. I hope it works out well for both those businesses and for the town in general.

The road is now open to traffic from all sides! Well done everyone, that last 25 years just flew by

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Imeacht gan teacht ort

Has it been updated yet on OSM?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

A brand new road and they couldn't even make it wide enough for a bus shelter? Also, no trees on this section or bike lanes? This was a blank canvas. Loads of room for cars though

• Advertisement

To be fair, I believe that black strip on the right that everyone is walking on in the picture is the 2-way cycle track. Except many pedestrians and runners prefer to walk/run on asphalt instead of concrete.

To be fair, I believe that it is signed as a cycle track at the start/end. The lack of cycle median and lack of minor kerb between footpath and cycleway are most likely detailed-design brain-farts from the design team. Another detailed-design flaw is, as you say, lack of green buffer between road and footpath. On the bus shelter, the shelters themselves are provided by a private company (maybe Adshel?) so maybe one will appear in future, but it does look like there's been no space allocation which would be another design flaw. No way of getting from the cycle track to Super Valu either.

Don't say: "why can't anyone in Ireland design sustainable transport infrastructure properly?"

Do say: "it's a greenway, not a cycle track, shur tis for walking with de kids on de Sundays, not dem Lance Armstrong lads"

Advertisement